Charles Fischer

Canzano: Pac-12 Doing Total "Reboot"

John Canzano is not everyone's favorite writer, but I don't link his negative ones. However these are his thoughts about of the Pac-12 Executive Committee in charge of finding a new commissioner and determining the objectives of the conference going forward and duties of the new commissioner.

His impression of the Pac-12 Executive Committee: "Smart, tuned in, and a big-time Pacific Northwest feel."

Rob Mullens_Craig Strobeck.jpg

A Pac-12 Commissioner Candidate?

Mr. FishDuck

Mullens would make a good commissioner. He does get the conference and also has an understanding of football on the national playoff level. 

He also knows what top tier programs in basketball need as Oregon is carrying the PAC-12 in basketball. 

However... The big questions are all going to be about how to get more money to each school. 

• Thanks 1

In the course of an hour today I read suggestions of Rick Neuheisel and Bill Walton. Neuheisel? Maaayyyybbbbeeee, but Walton is silly season stuff. Personally, I want them to ignore suggestions that media folks take the job, and hire some guy who has been in his basement for 15 years, hatching plans to take over the NCAA for the next 30 years. Someone none of us know, but that in seven years we will fear for his brain.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, David Marsh said:

The big questions are all going to be about how to get more money to each school. 

Mullens is primarily a money guy... an accountant....

He should handle the money well.  Move the offices out of San Francisco!!!!!

The PAC 12 network is currently ineffective in it’s ability to generate revenue for the PAC 12. I would want to hire someone that demonstrates a knowledge, or plan, on how to improve the revenues that the network currently generates.

Cost cutting measures will also help, but can only go so far...the PAC 12 is in dire need of increased revenue. 

The job description should include...Conference Commissioner needed that has the ability to do more with less.

18 hours ago, Charles Fischer said:

John Canzano

John was given a lot of "talk" in that interview and I hope it's not "just talk". We will have to see so lets have this same discussion in 12 months. 

Don't feel sorry for Larry Scott.

The Mercury News reports that "Scott will stay on through June and get paid through the summer of 2022"  

What a waste of money. Why would they agree to that ??

I would like the Presidents to create a draft strategy matrix of goals and priorities for 2, 5 and 10 years. Interview against those, and then revise the matrix with the newly hired Commish who will be responsible to deliver the plan, and reviewed annually against it with rewards and penalties resulting. Performance-driven.

I know one Trojan fan who is complaining about the all-NW search committee, complaining that there is no representation on the search committee from California "which is where most of the league's revenue comes from . . ."

15 hours ago, BigDucksFan said:

What a waste of money. Why would they agree to that ??

Perhaps it was the only way to get him to agree to leave now, instead of a year and a half from now?  Effectively it was severance pay?

Mr. FishDuck