FishDuck Article

The Transfer Portal: Embrace It or Drive Yourself Mad

A recent John Canzano article noted the intelligent move by Dan Lanning to have Ty Thompson take the first-team reps in the first spring practice open to the press.  My summation of Canzano’s post goes like this:  Thompson is a risk to enter the transfer portal while Bo Nix is not, so, with the job up for grabs, might as ...

eKPU06V0-300x300-cropped.jpg?p=194478
FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of FishDuck.com advises embracing the new transfer portal rules in college football or risk driving yourself crazy.

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

AB was definitely the risk averse choice at qb. I think Nix may be the same type of choice. The truly poor choice is to not develop or use talent which needs to get on the field. Much like putting DAT on the field as a freshman. He was lightening in a bottle, but prone to mistakes. CK chose to put him on the field and roll the dice.

I wonder what this staff will do with some of the elite talent we didn't see much of. While I agree we can't fear the portal, we also need to embrace the talent we have and develop it. I love the idea of putting players in space and seeing what they can do, but you have to put them on the field first. I suppose you also have to develop the talent before it sees the field too, but we shouldn't waste talent, anymore, and go the risk averse route, anymore.

The risk reward balance is skewed between the fan and the coaching staff, I know. Much like a teenager and a parent. The teenager says why not, and the parent sees the bad outcomes all too easy. Maybe with this younger staff we won't be stuck with fear running the play calling and player use decisions. Put speed on the field and spread the defense. Let a new guy get some real game speed experience, at least at the end of the game at qb.

If not we will just continue to use the portal at qb, and probably many other skill positions. This won't be the end of the world. Just the end of the way Oregon has always done things, until the new portal age. I suppose I can embrace it, if it leads to greater outcomes, but please not just more conservative end results.

• Like 2

I guess the part that drives us all nuts is not getting the chance to see for ourselves how good or not good a player is. Some players never shine in practice but are absolute hit it out of the park type athletes when live action in a game starts. I know the coaches should be able to tell but trusting them is not easy after some of the train wrecks we have seen lately in the coaching world. The coaches are the ones that are responsible for putting the best product on the field and hopefully the group we have now will get their job done correctly.

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

• Thumbs Up 2

So Darren, I guess we are just suppose to play with the cards we've been dealt.  Sound idea.

Also, if the coaches don't play the best players, the ones that give us the best chance to win, then I think the revolving door will be busier as the rest of the team will see it as playing favorites.

On 4/5/2022 at 6:30 AM, Haywarduck said:

AB was definitely the risk averse choice at qb. I think Nix may be the same type of choice. The truly poor choice is to not develop or use talent which needs to get on the field. Much like putting DAT on the field as a freshman. He was lightening in a bottle, but prone to mistakes. CK chose to put him on the field and roll the dice.

I wonder what this staff will do with some of the elite talent we didn't see much of. While I agree we can't fear the portal, we also need to embrace the talent we have and develop it. I love the idea of putting players in space and seeing what they can do, but you have to put them on the field first. I suppose you also have to develop the talent before it sees the field too, but we shouldn't waste talent, anymore, and go the risk averse route, anymore.

The risk reward balance is skewed between the fan and the coaching staff, I know. Much like a teenager and a parent. The teenager says why not, and the parent sees the bad outcomes all too easy. Maybe with this younger staff we won't be stuck with fear running the play calling and player use decisions. Put speed on the field and spread the defense. Let a new guy get some real game speed experience, at least at the end of the game at qb.

If not we will just continue to use the portal at qb, and probably many other skill positions. This won't be the end of the world. Just the end of the way Oregon has always done things, until the new portal age. I suppose I can embrace it, if it leads to greater outcomes, but please not just more conservative end results.

I agree with what you are saying, but, what if Thompson just really isn't doing well in practice? If he's playing more like a not ready for prime time 3-star recruit who no coach would start. It's not the coaching, it is him. I have no idea, but we just don't know. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/5/2022 at 7:33 AM, Steven A said:

So Darren, I guess we are just suppose to play with the cards we've been dealt.  Sound idea.

Also, if the coaches don't play the best players, the ones that give us the best chance to win, then I think the revolving door will be busier as the rest of the team will see it as playing favorites.

Yeah, ya gotta keep it real, don't wanna lose your team because you are playing politics. 

Cards dealt? In today's world the hand you hold can change and change dramatically at any time. 

May 1st is the deadline for transfers to sign with a new school and be eligible for 2022. I expect that at the conclusion of spring practices around the country, a lot of players will be coming and going. I also expect for the reason Canzano noted, that many the starting position on paper at least, will remain open until fall practice.

I expect many the post-spring roster to have player X, OR player Y, listed as the starter.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agree with your premise - the sea change in college athletics to invest the athlete with more and more control over his/her destiny forces everyone else with an interest in those destinies to either adjust or go bonkers. 

Me, I’m looking to the nimble-minded coaches who seek an advantage for their players in every situation for my inspiration.

There are emerging ways to coach-up and keep kids if you’re willing to grasp and present both the benefits and disadvantages of NIL and the transfer portal to the players most affect by them. Neither is an end-all, be-all solution for them, and the coaches that see that are the ones I want at Oregon.

On 4/5/2022 at 9:42 AM, Jon Joseph said:

May 1st is the deadline for transfers to sign with a new school and be eligible for 2022.

Are you sure that is correct?  I find information from the NCAA that May 1 is the deadline for athletes in fall/winter sports to notify their school they are entering the portal (Additionally, a student-athlete must provide their current school with a written request to enter the NCAA Transfer by May 1 if they participate in a fall or winter sport, or July 1 if they participate in a spring sport to use the one-time exception.) but nothing regarding an enrollment deadline.  Wouldn't it be similar to a JC transfer, ie enrolled by fall session?

On 4/5/2022 at 1:33 PM, McDuck said:

Are you sure that is correct?  I find information from the NCAA that May 1 is the deadline for athletes in fall/winter sports to notify their school they are entering the portal (Additionally, a student-athlete must provide their current school with a written request to enter the NCAA Transfer by May 1 if they participate in a fall or winter sport, or July 1 if they participate in a spring sport to use the one-time exception.) but nothing regarding an enrollment deadline.  Wouldn't it be similar to a JC transfer, ie enrolled by fall session?

Thanks for the clarification; I stand corrected.

On 4/5/2022 at 9:42 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Cards dealt? In today's world the hand you hold can change and change dramatically at any time. 

It does seem that the days of, "You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em" are done.

image.jpeg.639b335b5159e85d0d237bf1bfb85c01.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 4/5/2022 at 9:19 AM, Darren Perkins said:

I agree with what you are saying, but, what if Thompson just really isn't doing well in practice? If he's playing more like a not ready for prime time 3-star recruit who no coach would start. It's not the coaching, it is him. I have no idea, but we just don't know. 

I am trying to move a more positive space on how our previous leadership dealt with the qb position, but I am not quite there yet. I fully admit that!

All I know is Kellen Clemens looked like a 2 star athlete when he first hit the field, actually looked like a deer in the headlights, but developed into a pretty good qb. He also couldn't beat our Fife when he was a freshman, even though that team had problems, but the next year took over and the coaches stuck with him. I do agree we have little concrete info, and I look forward to knowing how this staff deals with the position.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/5/2022 at 11:15 AM, Haywarduck said:

All I know is Kellen Clemens looked like a 2 star athlete when he first hit the field, actually looked like a deer in the headlights, but developed into a pretty good qb. He also couldn't beat our Fife when he was a freshman

We all know the story about Herbert. The guy literally played so well in practice that Helfrich couldn't help but notice him. This in turn led to him taking over the starting position; which saw him blossom under the lights and crowd. What if the opposite is true for Ty?

Maybe Ty simply isn't playing spectacularly in practice but has what it takes come Saturday? All of the tape he has from (I know, high school...) screams clutch gene. He looks like a playmaker that will get the ball to the people it needs to go to. Maybe the spotlight will bring out the best in him.

If I remember correctly, the media that saw Mariota practice said he had a tendency to get brought down often in the backfield or get balls swatted by the D Line. Yet he beat out Bryan Bennett primarily because he used practice as a place to hone his internal clock and decision making. If Ty is doing the same thing then we may see some awesome offensive output this season.

• Thumbs Up 3

Don’t think this coaching staff will let talent go to waste and the Ducks have an ample supply of talent all over the field at all positions. Not Georgia talent but extremely good pack 12 talent with some experience to boot.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Chip Kelly would've gave TY a shot. MC was too conservative in all aspects as an HC. Two coaches on opposite ends of the coaching spectrum. I would not be surprised to see TY either start or at some point split time with Nix. MC tied everyone's hands so no one had a chance to produce to their maximum ability. Coaches and players. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thought-provoking post, Darren. (I guess that's the idea... 😉)  Don't know whether or not your "hunch" is correct, but it makes sense to me. 

From my perspective, if Nix winds up as QB1 and plays well, I can be fine with that. What bothered me most last year was when Brown was QB1 and clearly struggled, we just didn't see Thompson get a chance as relief. And, the one time we did see Thompson during league play, he got yanked promptly after making a mistake. It just never had a good feel to the way the QB situation was handled last year. Again, like you, I didn't know any details about how each guy was performing in practices.

On 4/5/2022 at 1:47 PM, 30Duck said:

It does seem that the days of, "You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em" are done.

image.jpeg.639b335b5159e85d0d237bf1bfb85c01.jpeg

Know when to buy them?

Darren, this line definitely grabbed my attention....."it is very well possible that he was spot-on in naming Anthony Brown the starter throughout all of last season."

I have to say that could be the scary truth! Recruiting hype doesn't always transfer to the field. I really hope it does in this case.