Charles Fischer

Maybe the Interference Call was WRIGHT?

I know this is not popular, but when I look at like the fifth angle in this video below...it seems to me that Mykael Wright is pushing the receiver in a direction away from where the ball is going to go, thus interference.

Or do you see it different?

Mr. FishDuck

It is more along the line that there was a lot of hand fighting for the first 59 minutes of the game without a penalty called.  You can't change the way you call a game at the end.  If something is a penalty or not a penalty the 1st minute of the game, then it needs to be called the same way the last minute of the game.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 4/8/2022 at 11:42 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I know this is not popular, but when I look at like the fifth angle in this video below...it seems to me that Mykael Wright is pushing the receiver in a direction away from where the ball is going to go, thus interference.

Or do you see it different?

A judgement call. But on Stanford's last drive the judges all seemed to be against Oregon? 1 brutal call after another. Something you would not see in the SEC if Bama had a 1 score lead against MIZZOU on MIZZOU's last possession.

But Stanford is the Ducks NEMISES. What can go wrong against the Cardinal usually does go wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/8/2022 at 1:02 PM, Jon Joseph said:

But Stanford is the Ducks NEMISES. What can go wrong against the Cardinal usually does go wrong.

It's the double-whammy with Stanford. Not only are they the Nemesis, they also have Murphy's Law working against them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

They both pushed each other. From one angle I could make an argument for offensive interference, from another defensive.

As mentioned above, according to how the game had been called previously, it should have been a no call. But the refs will find a way when Oregon plays Stanford.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/8/2022 at 1:02 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Something you would not see in the SEC if Bama had a 1 score lead against MIZZOU on MIZZOU's last possession.

I watched the Bama v TAMU game (that week or the following week don't remember) and one of Bamas star players charged headfirst into a TAMU player and targetting was called but didn't stand. 

Take that in comparison to the earlier call of that same Stanford drive that took KT out of the game due to at best incidental helmet to helmet contact and you have two conferences with refs calling the same rules very differently. 

That PI call was one in a series of bad calls and an inconsistent call in how the refs were calling the game. 

Even if refs make rules calls differently than others, they are human that is to be expected, they need to be consistent in how they call the rule... Players then learn how much they can and can't get away with ... Changing up how they call the penalty is one of the worst things a ref can do... Especially on the final play of the game. 

Was it pass interference? Sure, if that is how they have called it all game long but that wasn't how they called it until the last play. They let players fight it out... So why wouldn't Wright continue to do that, especially when he has done it all game long... Especially the play before that one. 

• Thumbs Up 4

The trouble with PI is it can be called either way most of the time. Therefore it's one of the toughest calls to make. Kind of like holding on the OL. That's why IMHO the consistency of it during the game is the correct way to look at it.

Well, my friends....I am going to have hits and misses as posts.  THAT was a miss...

Way to go Charles....

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

Mr. FishDuck

Actually, if you ask me how I would have called it, I would have called interference.

But I would have been calling it that way all game long and there might have been a question about who I would have called it on for that play. Stanford guy actually pushed first, Wright may have pushed hardest.

There were several times during the game when Stanford played the big receiver on smaller DB game and their receivers committed very callable pushoffs. I would also have called many of them offensive interference.

That would changed the complexion of the game a great deal. I'm sure it would have negated a touchdown and at least two first downs on drives where Stanford scored.

Point continues to be, it was not a call consistent with the calls/no calls the rest of the game.

The up field camera angle clearly shows #5 pushing off of Wright after a brief bit of hand fighting before the ball was in the air. Agree with several others that this never would be called in the SEC under the same circumstances. Wright didn't hold and he had his head turned back towards the football. One could have made an argument for an Offensive PI, but certainly a non call. That final Stanford drive was one of the worst officiated and frustrating sequences of Oregon football I've ever watched. All so totally unecessary too given the poor offensive series that preceded it.

• Thumbs Up 2

That game was one of many wake up calls about this team, and the coaching staff. I have nothing, but a view in my rear view mirror on that game. There are certainly other games I don't mind putting on the big screen.

• Thumbs Up 1

Disagree

I see OFFENSIVE PI, not the other way around. 

Besides, wasn't the actual call holding? Which is total BS 

• Like 1