Charles Fischer

Told Ya: College Coaches Beginning to Leave, Cite NIL and Portal as Final Straw

I thought that the new dimensions of college coaching stepped up another 30-40% in the past two years, wrote about it and now we are seeing evidence of it.

“It’s insane. No days off. Eighteen hours a day. You don’t have free weekends. They (coaches) don’t want to do it anymore. Some have made enough money that they don’t have to.”

“Word on the street is many coaches are trying to get into professional football,” Former Washington Coach Chris Petersen says. “Just the lifestyles. It’s hard at any of these levels, but you have a semi-offseason in pro football. A lot of times the offseason is worse than the season in college football.”

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

To be successful in CFB (and CBB) you must recruit year round. Then, you have to re-recruit a lot of guys to keep them out of the portal. You also have to be recruiting out-of-the-portal to plug holes in the roster.

Managing an NFL roster today compared to managing a CFB roster is a piece of cake. 

Not just CFB. Jay Wright is not an 'old 60' and he has resigned his job as the Villanova basketball head coach.

As Dabo Swinney opined and Nick Saban and Lane Kiffin have supported him, 'THIS' is not sustainable.

• Thumbs Up 1

Petersen burned out at UW before things got crazy, and the line about "over 30?"? Recruiting is definitely a new level of stress now. A coach needs to be looking at least two years ahead to be in a Recruits Top 12 schools. 

• Thumbs Up 1

"The NFL is easier compared to this (coaching CFB.) They (sic) have windows. They have long-term contracts. You (sic) have free agency in college football without a window. And you have them making salaries -NIL- without a cap. You've got all kinds of variables.

Lane Kiffin

• Thumbs Up 1

Luke doesn't retire as assistant at Georgia without the money he received from Ol Miss. There is definitely burnout, this has been happening for while, but the money these guys make is off the charts. Why not golf, play with your kids when your bank account says you probably never going to spend all the money while you're alive anyway. 

I have no sympathy for these guys making millions teaching kids how to play a game. Sure it is pressure packed, but they are well compensated. If they are quitting then great, enjoy.

There will be plenty of guys wanting to make multi-million dollar contracts. The market will adjust, always does in high pay areas.

Now the market for people to pick our vegetables, and cleaning our toilets, for little pay, that is a problem. 

Why do you retire, because you want to do other things. When do you retire, when you have enough money. It is a simple equation, and the contracts these coaches receive make the math pretty easy. 

• Thumbs Up 3

How many coaches actually stay retired?  I think there is a ton of burn out for coaches.  They need a year off to recharge.

I don't think Jay Wright is done and I don't think Matt Luke is done.

I think by now any coach in the college ranks, knows what it takes to be a coach.  The NIL and transfer portal are new, so that is an adjustment, but I think every coach knows the grind it takes.  Seems like they thrive on the grind.

"The NFL is easier compared to this (coaching CFB.) They (sic) have windows. They have long-term contracts. You (sic) have free agency in college football without a window. And you have them making salaries -NIL- without a cap. You've got all kinds of variables.

Lane Kiffin

Man, can it get any worse at ASU? Top receiver and Phoenix HS product, Ricky Pearsall, just entered the portal along with LB Eric Gentry who was, post spring practice, listed to start this season.

Pearsall told the Athletic ASU beat writer that one reason he is leaving is the lack of NIL opportunities in the Phoenix area. This is not Pullman, it's Phoenix.

He also is concerned that with Daniels leaving the Sun Devils will not have a quality QB starting in 2022.

The good news if there is any, is that former Florida starting QB Emory Jones is visiting ASU this weekend.

IMO, President Crow, AD Anderson and Herm should all be shown the door.  Crow, despite evidence to the contrary, has claimed Herm to be innocent of the COVID recruiting violations being investigated by the NCAA. 5 assistant coaches have left the program.

It probably did not help ASU's cause when Crow came out publicly against NIL. This is the guy who was Larry's biggest supporter. 

ASU was projected to win 6 games this season. Now?

On 4/22/2022 at 10:01 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Lane Kiffin

NFL contracts and a salary cap not only assists with keeping things in-check, but also shifts the onus of money-matters from the coaching staff to the GM and his group of bean counters.   

Trust me, being a Cowboys fan there are times I wish the cap didn't exist so Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum (Jerry & Stephen Jones) could open the their pocket books and buy a winner instead of actually having to have some sort of NFL managerial acumen to produce a serious contender.  

This topic makes me think of the Arizona Cardinals.  Do you think a guy like Cliff Kingsbury is glad he's in the NFL now?  Imagine if he was in college football coaching a disgruntled Kyler Murray who was voicing his opinion of a possible transfer.  All eyes would not just be focusing on the university, but squarely on the coaching staff. 

Grumblings of something happening within the locker room, perhaps a tiff between coach and QB has developed, or worst-case scenario..."The coach is losing the locker room" chatter could pop-up.  Today in the NFL, Kyler's less than pleased with his money situation so it is now a Steve Keim (GM) problem.  To take it one step further, if Kyler were to leave (he's not...he's just being a punk right now) Arizona, CK would get a free pass for the season due to Steve Keim's and AZ ownerships inability to keep quality players. 

Dang right I would take coaching pro-football over college.  That's why, love him or hate him, you have to tip your cap to a guy like Saban for changing with the times even though he absolutely despises it.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great post. I think that Kingsbury is in a spot of bother with Murray as you so well note. But I think he is in a far better place than if he'd stayed as the OC at USC under Helton.

The NFL does all it can to assure parity. You cannot simply buy a championship roster. As has been mentioned to me by friends who are Cowboys fans, Jerry and son need to hire a professional GM.

On 4/22/2022 at 11:49 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I thought that the new dimensions of college coaching stepped up another 30-40% in the past two years, wrote about it and now we are seeing evidence of it.

Great stuff. 30 to 40% is indeed conservative; more like 75% plus?

As Charles points out this is probably just the beginning.  The NIL is the final chapter in the new book titled 365 days of recruiting.  Obviously our new coach is certainly on top of this, he's put together a staff of outstanding recruiters, and if they can coach as well as they seem to be recruiting, the future of Duck football is bright, however the future of collegiate football is not.  

Charles seems to feel that it will be 3 years before the full effect of the NIL fiasco is felt, he may be right.  But as far as coaching is concerned it's becoming more and more of a young mans game.  Christobal's greatest asset was and is his recruiting ability, he certainly  was not a great game coach, how long he can keep this up will be interesting.  I remember Colleen Bellotti complaining to me one time that Mike was gone all the time.  Think what that would be like now. It amazes me with all the NIL talk that you never hear anyone discussing the education that is being given to the athletes. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Again this is a rich guy problem. If you don't like part of making 3+ million a year delegate. How do CEO's run massive companies, they delegate. If you give too much of yourself, you also become cheaper. Make a contact by the head coach something special, not just something all recruits get.

Wherever there is a problem there is a solution from somebody smart enough to figure it out, and not just yell the end is coming. Peteresen lost all his credibility when he put on purple in my book. I suppose I fall into the camp of I don't enjoy hearing people yelling fire when there is just smoke, and it has been smoking for a while. I'll just move on from these discussions.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/22/2022 at 11:14 AM, Tandaian said:

I don't think Jay Wright is done

Unless it's too the NBA, I can't think of a job in college better than what Wright had at Villanova. Unlike Few at Gonzaga, Wright won championships at his little school that wasn't a 5 star factory. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Not sure if this is confirmed yet, but if this is true, look out.  😬

Edited by GeotechDuck

On 4/22/2022 at 2:39 PM, GeotechDuck said:

Not sure if this is confirmed yet, but if this is true, look out.  😬

Appears true, and also tax deductible.  Follow the link to the website.  https://www.1oklahoma.com/

WWW.1OKLAHOMA.COM

Modern styled responsive website template perfect for Charity and fundraising projects or companies. Showcase stories, projects, causes and write blog posts using the CMS features.

Edited by McDuck

Okay, "onboarded" isn't a word. 

I am so sorry to see Jay Wright retire from Villanova. Living 10 minutes from the Villanova campus, they became my second favorite team to follow.

They were certainly more entertaining than the Ducks this season as they lost in Final 4.

He gets a few highly rated players now and then, but most of his players were 3* who he coached up and many went into the NBA. His teams made it into the

playoffs almost every year and I think most of it is because of his coaching. 

In an article I read in the Philadelphia Inquirer, it seems the current state of the NIL lead him to retire this year. Apparently he has been thinking of retirement

for a while. Sounds like he has burnout, wants to spend more time with family, and the fact that the smaller colleges were going to have a hard time recruiting 

against NIL programs at larger schools. It's sad to see good coaches leave the college ranks.

I don't think he will retire permanently, and I don't think he will coach college or NBA anytime soon. I do think he may do some TV commentating.

The Philadelphia Inquirer article can be read at site below:

AAWtQfW.img?h=630&w=1200&m=6&q=60&o=t&l=
WWW.MSN.COM

The last time Jay Wright spoke publicly as Villanova’s men’s basketball coach, he kept up the face and persona that made...

The Oklahoma deal makes a little sense, cost in excess of $4M, will insure that they get good players, not the best, but good ones.  Texas is already paying all OL's $50K.  Can't remember what Texas A &M is paying the members of this years recruiting class.  As far as a team is concerned the Oklahoma deal makes a heck of a lot more sense than Tennessee paying a QB $8M, I can see some unhappy OL's missing a few blocks every so often.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1