JDuck

Hurricanes Basketball Player Demands Better NIL or Will Transfer Tomorrow

Did you see this one on ESPN?  Gimme mo or I transfer tomorrow...he has an NIL "agent".  This is ridiculous.  College sports is going down the tube.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2022%2F0429%2Fr1006024_
WWW.ESPN.COM

The NIL agent for Hurricanes star Isaiah Wong says the guard will enter the transfer portal if his NIL compensation isn't increased.

Well we knew this was coming trouble is it’s here now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Remember, there is no "i" in team, just in NIL.

• Haha 1

Cut him from the squad: see which teams are willing to add a cancer to their roster

The give me more NIL money demands from “agents” are here to stay. 

Aren’t these demands what you would expect from any NIL “agent” worth their salt? …. smh

From the linked article

Papas says he recently negotiated an NIL deal for Kansas State transfer Nijel Pack that included $800,000 over two years plus a car. Pack was considered the No. 1 player in the transfer portal before committing to Miami. The deal was funded by billionaire John Ruiz,

Wasn't Ruiz behind the Mario Cristobal hiring and the new stadium pipedream?

• Thumbs Up 1

I find the response from John Ruiz (the money behind who pulled our last coach away) even more interesting than this NIL demand:

"Isaiah is under contract," Ruiz said in a text message to ESPN. "He has been treated by LifeWallet exceptionally well. If that is what he decides, I wish him well, however, I DO NOT renegotiate! I cannot disclose the amount, but what I can say is that he was treated very fairly."

On 4/28/2022 at 9:42 PM, MTdux said:

Cut him from the squad: see which teams are willing to add a cancer to their roster

He’ll have a lucrative offer by next week.

On 4/28/2022 at 9:42 PM, MTdux said:

Technically a team can't really just cut him entirely... I mean they can remove him from the team effectively but if he is on scholarship this isn't really a cause to revoke that scholarship. Though he can be removed from the team but would still be on scholarship.

Now... let him leave and transfer would be the easiest thing to do here... but that also calls the bluff. Does he really think he will have to transfer? That is the big debate these days.

On 4/28/2022 at 10:26 PM, David Marsh said:

Technically a team can't really just cut him entirely

If he refuses to practice or play for non-injury or non-academic reasons, I would think they could revoke his scholarship.  It's tough to ball out when your school has none.

• Great post! 1

FootballScoop provides some details regarding the Miami NIL program.  They put the University of Miami in a catagory all their own, worse than the Texas schools. Mario's buddy John Ruiz is backing a $10 million player payroll, another booster, Dan Lambert plans a half million dollar payroll for football.  I think our former coach will end up with a very tarnished reputation.

isaiah-wong.jpg
FOOTBALLSCOOP.COM

A Miami booster has -- quite publicly -- funded the school's NIL efforts. Now one of their top basketball players wants his own deal or he's leaving.

From last summer

miami.jpg
FOOTBALLSCOOP.COM

The offer is the first from a startup organization aimed at recruiting businesses to do deals with Hurricane athletes.

Pretty sure scholarships are renewed on a yearly basis??

I am 100% supportive of players getting money for NIL, but this is quickly turning into pay for play, which I don’t think is good. 

Wong’s blast can’t be good for team chemistry. I wonder if his teammates are supportive of his give more money or I quit attitude?  

If I was a coach, I would be saying you better keep your NIL deals to yourself.  If a player decided to run with a social media blast like Wong, I would simply say to them that their scholarship will not be renewed next year. Good luck. 

On 4/29/2022 at 12:42 AM, MTdux said:

In today's NIL world, forgive me, but I think your criticism of this kid is a bit harsh? He is allowed to have an agent. THIS is what the agent is advising his client to do.

THIS is going on all across CBB and CFB. This player went public but he is far from the only CBB/CFB guy looking for a better pay-for-play deal.

BTW, how is this materially different from Brian Kelly leaving Notre Dame in the 'middle of a playoff run' for more money from LSU?

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 4/30/2022 at 9:38 AM, Jon Joseph said:

In today's NIL world, forgive me, but I think your criticism of this kid is a bit harsh? He is allowed to have an agent. THIS is what the agent is advising his client.

THIS is going on all across CBB and CFB. This player went public but he is far from the only CBB/CFB guy looking for a better pay-for-play deal.

Agree. I think the going public part is the big issue here, not the fact that he is looking for a better deal.  

• Applause 1

On 4/30/2022 at 9:54 AM, McDuck said:

FootballScoop provides some details regarding the Miami NIL program.  They put the University of Miami in a catagory all their own, worse than the Texas schools. Mario's buddy John Ruiz is backing a $10 million player payroll, another booster, Dan Lambert plans a half million dollar payroll for football.  I think our former coach will end up with a very tarnished reputation.

isaiah-wong.jpg
FOOTBALLSCOOP.COM

A Miami booster has -- quite publicly -- funded the school's NIL efforts. Now one of their top basketball players wants his own deal or he's leaving.

From last summer

miami.jpg
FOOTBALLSCOOP.COM

The offer is the first from a startup organization aimed at recruiting businesses to do deals with Hurricane athletes.

Oregon does have an NIL Collective. Oregon is smart enough not to spout off about same.

• Great post! 1

More on Wong. Maybe he isn't wrong?

Wong was instrumental in leading Miami to the Elite 8 last season. He has an NIL deal worth $100K.

A kid who just transferred to Miami from K ST who was an OK player in the B12 comes in with a 2 year NIL deal worth $800K.