Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Haywarduck

Good Stuff Out Of USC

Recommended Posts

Great quote at least, 

elite teams are led by the players, held accountable by the players. Good teams, they’re led by the coaches, held accountable by the coaches. And the poor teams, there’s nobody that does that. We’ve been trying to be the elite team. So we’ve been having a lot of players step up into leadership roles, be more commanding, have a voice. 

caleb-williams-miller-moss-explain-how-u
WWW.ON3.COM

Lincoln Riley has brought excitement to USC's football program, but he has also completely rebuilt the team's culture inside and out.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Under Helton, Prior to Riley,  the motivation was to be the first player lined up when the ice cream, truck arrived. 

.....and they played like it. 

  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2022 at 12:14 PM, fred flintstone said:

Under Helton, Prior to Riley,  the motivation was to be the first player lined up when the ice cream, truck arrived. 

.....and they played like it. 

I think the quote says a lot, and speaks to what drives a team. I have little doubt the team didn't listen to Helton, and didn't show much, if any, team leadership. If this is part of the Riley's process, consider me impressed. It is one thing to talk the talk and another to walk the walk, so we will see how it plays out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya know back when Kelly and the Ducks ruled the Pac-12, the thought was that USC was down. Some of that was rationalization, but it was great for us! I still believe it's true that a stronger Pac-12 does help Oregon. But for this USC, I hope they do a Sanchez!

 

image.jpeg.4f55b86682bdb299680c3e4c2f07aeb0.jpeg

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get it; what the players there are saying sounds impressive, yet the reports out of Oklahoma refer to a "casual" approach to managing a team.

 

I gotta say that they are killing it in Portal recruiting...

Mr. FishDuck

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2022 at 12:45 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I don't get it; what the players there are saying sounds impressive, yet the reports out of Oklahoma refer to a "casual" approach to managing a team.

Remember those contradicting reports were each written for their respective fan sites with compensation based on the resulting clicks.  Positive articles draw a lot more eyes from the faithful.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Addison has visits planned, first to USC, then Alabama, he's already visited Texas. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

More B.S. brought to you by your friends at USC-LOL

 

Hopefully they will only win 7 games this year.

Edited by 1Ducker1
  • Let’s hope! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2022 at 5:07 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

More B.S. brought to your friends at USC-LOL

 

Hopefully they will only win 7 games this year.

I hope they lose their last Pac-12 game! I love seeing the sc faithful with hope and then....... bam!

  • Applause 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont know who makes me want to YAK more, The Fuskies or the Spoiled Children.

 

Im hoisting a beer for the failure of both teams. Both make me sick. 

  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I see a potential for 5 possible losses

Stanford

Fresno St

Utah

UCLA

Notre Dame

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fan fiction for May, with zero evidence. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2022 at 12:26 PM, Haywarduck said:

I have little doubt the team didn't listen to Helton, and didn't show much, if any, team leadership.

I think they did at first... But the hardest problem for ANG coach is maintaining that culture from year to year. 

 

For Helton I think 2020 was the season where he needed to restore trust within the program and prove to them that he could coach them to greatness. What they got was beat by Oregon in the pac-12 championship game during a COVID year. The culture was on life support in 2020, and probably only saved because of a shortened season, but by 2021 it was dead. 

 

Helfrich had the same problem at Oregon. He couldn't maintain the culture and 2016 was the end of the line as Oregon was awful. 

 

I actually do believe that Cristobal's culture was about to take a nosedive in the next year or two. It just felt like players were no longer buying in of what he was selling, just look at the lack of motivation they played with at times last year. 

 

From the sound of some of the Oklahoma articles out there maybe Riley was having a similar issue at Oklahoma and he saw the writing on the wall and left before things got bad on the field. 

 

The reality is that many coaches, and mangers of other professions, sometimes need to move on as they become stale and can breathe new life into themselves a program by just being new. 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2022 at 5:56 PM, David Marsh said:

I actually do believe that Cristobal's culture was about to take a nosedive in the next year or two.

I don't think it would have been that long; I think most of the receivers would have transferred out had he stayed. He read the room pretty well and bolted when the going (8 million a year) was good.

  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanna see SC have one lose until they get a 2nd in the conf championship.  All while Oregon secures a seat at the table.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2022 at 5:13 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I dont know who makes me want to YAK more, The Fuskies or the Spoiled Children.

 

Im hoisting a beer for the failure of both teams. Both make me sick.

I agree 10,000 percent. I fail to see how a "good USC" and a "good Washington" benefits Oregon.

 

If the Ducks win 10, 11, or 12 regular-season games every year, USC and Washington could each lose 10 games, for all I care. In fact, they could both go winless from now until the sun burns out. (I know we'd all like it to be longer, but I suppose we can't have everything.)

 

A dominant Ducks program would be in the hunt every year for Rose Bowls and playoff appearances. May the obnoxious Trojans and witless Huskies never be involved in those conversations. 

  • Applause 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

"To find it in your heart..."  To see others with the same antipathy toward those teams that I do!

 

 

On 5/14/2022 at 2:53 PM, Axel said:

May the obnoxious Trojans and witless Huskies never be involved in those conversations. 

 

Mr. FishDuck

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2022 at 11:45 AM, Haywarduck said:

Great quote at least, 

elite teams are led by the players, held accountable by the players. Good teams, they’re led by the coaches, held accountable by the coaches. And the poor teams, there’s nobody that does that. We’ve been trying to be the elite team. So we’ve been having a lot of players step up into leadership roles, be more commanding, have a voice. 

caleb-williams-miller-moss-explain-how-u
WWW.ON3.COM

Lincoln Riley has brought excitement to USC's football program, but he has also completely rebuilt the team's culture inside and out.

 

 

On 5/14/2022 at 3:37 PM, Charles Fischer said:

"To find it in your heart..."  To see others with the same antipathy toward those teams that I do!

 

 

 

Honestly I hate SC just a TAD little lower than Purple Puke up North and I mean hate. I don't like the arrogance from them and never have and I never want that team to ever win another or even Sniff a championship ever again.

 

I just hope Oregon kills it with 2023 class and is the best class in their history yet. So can we go what 5 years running now of winning the recruiting battle with SC. With Riley now there this will speak volumes of how far Oregon indeed has come. It will I believe speak to their doom and Oregon's new winning it all.

 

No offense SC sucks and I just can't make myself read anything ever about them and also this is a Duck site anyways so thanks but no thanks. Soory I just hate that school.

 

The only thing I've ever loved from that School was the best Safety ever to play the game and you should know who that was. AKA Ronnie Lott and he played for my favorite team the San Francisco 49ers. It was an amazing time in Niner history and that first year that whole backfield made the Pro Bowl, 3 were Rookies and Hicks came over from somewhere else.

 

Lott is a Football Great and loved the game as he cut off his pinky toe I believe to keep playing one year or had it amputated so he wouldn't miss any time so that's a Football Freak that unfortunately played at SC. Like I said he was the best.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2022 at 9:05 PM, MaiTaiDuck said:

 

Honestly I hate SC just a TAD little lower than Purple Puke up North and I mean hate. I don't like the arrogance from them and never have and I never want that team to ever win another or even Sniff a championship ever again.

 

I just hope Oregon kills it with 2023 class and is the best class in their history yet. So can we go what 5 years running now of winning the recruiting battle with SC. With Riley now there this will speak volumes of how far Oregon indeed has come. It will I believe speak to their doom and Oregon's new winning it all.

 

No offense SC sucks and I just can't make myself read anything ever about them and also this is a Duck site anyways so thanks but no thanks. Soory I just hate that school.

 

The only thing I've ever loved from that School was the best Safety ever to play the game and you should know who that was. AKA Ronnie Lott and he played for my favorite team the San Francisco 49ers. It was an amazing time in Niner history and that first year that whole backfield made the Pro Bowl, 3 were Rookies and Hicks came over from somewhere else.

 

Lott is a Football Great and loved the game as he cut off his pinky toe I believe to keep playing one year or had it amputated so he wouldn't miss any time so that's a Football Freak that unfortunately played at SC. Like I said he was the best.

 

Mai TaiDuck, I love how I never come away wondering exactly how feel about a subject, WELL Done!

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2022 at 4:53 PM, Axel said:

I fail to see how a "good USC" and a "good Washington" benefits Oregon.

I'm on the other side of this debate and I'll briefly try to explain why. If USC/Fuskies both play well and win their out of conference games (Notre Dame etc) and then we beat them, it adds relevance to those wins for us. If however, we beat a USC team by 10 that lost to Notre Dame by 30, then that isn't a "quality win".

 

Granted, we love to hate the Spoiled Children and the Fuskies, but truth is aside from us, they happen to be some of the best the conference has to offer (although I think we can safely put Utah in that mix, and I have high hopes for UCLA as well). The SEC is the gold standard of conference power and that's in large part bc their teams win their out of conference games and bowl games.  We do not.  However, if we can start changing that, then we change the perception of the conference as a whole and that's 100% a good thing.

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2022 at 5:18 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I see a potential for 5 possible losses

Stanford

Fresno St

Utah

UCLA

Notre Dame

UCS will have one of the elite offenses in the country in a group with Bama, The-OSU.

I think it's a stretch to think Fresno St can outscore them.

 

Grinch was a solid DC at Wazzu, and he will improve that defense. I think early in the season when there is the largest learning curve in learning Grinch's new defense that Stanford and Beavers are the early biggest threats. Thise two teams execute solid OL play, the USC DL and defending the run was last year's big weakness. 

 

Those two games in week 2-4 could really see the USC defense pounded on the ground setting up play action passes, with that comes lots of snaps, lots of time of possession and limiting of the number of possessions the USC offense gets.

 

Certainly Stanford - OSU are going to gameplan for that style of game and avoid trying to win a shootout type game with USC.

 

USC gets Utah week 7 and the Utes are physical and will have had a chance to see how the USC front 7 stood up against Stanford and OSU. I expect the USC defense to be executing Grinch's scheme better by week 7 after growing and learning the first 6 weeks, but are they going to stop the Utes 12 and 13 personal from racking up the first downs and eating the clock? 

 

 

 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Applause 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the bottom PAC teams need to improve more than just USC and Fuskies. The Pac will still be labeled as a low end power 5 conf even if USC, Utah and Oregon are contenders. 

 

Look at the SEC, you have LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, TA&M, Ole Miss, Alabama and potentially Tenn, Arkansas, Mississippi St then eventually Oklahoma and Texas.

 

If we(the pac) have just 4 or 5 decent to great teams we are not going to get the respect we want. Also The top PAC teams almost always lose at least 1 game they shouldn't.  I think the biggest obstacle for the PAC is lack of depth especially on the lines as well as QBs.

..

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2022 at 2:53 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I think the bottom PAC teams need to improve more than just USC and Fuskies. The Pac will still be labeled as a low end power 5 conf even if USC, Utah and Oregon are contenders. 

 

Look at the SEC, you have LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, TA&M, Ole Miss, Alabama and potentially Tenn, Arkansas, Mississippi St then eventually Oklahoma and Texas.

 

If we(the pac) have just 4 or 5 decent to great teams we are not going to get the respect we want. Also The top PAC teams almost always lose at least 1 game they shouldn't.  I think the biggest obstacle for the PAC is lack of depth especially on the lines as well as QBs.

..

I agree with this. However, I didn't include the other teams b/c it was about if those two teams (USC/UW) being better helped Oregon.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...
Top