Charles Fischer

Canzano: Oregon and Washington Must Play Every Football Season...

We love to hate our rivals?  John has some good comments here...

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43
WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Pac-12 exploring pod scheduling system?

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On his thoughts about pac-12 coaches having an intense back and forth and "sparing" if you will... 

I think Lanning v Riley is where all eyes will be in that regard. I think Lanning is going to crush some USC fans when his defense keeps Riley's offense in check and Dillingham's offense is too much for USC to handle. 

So I think we are looking at the early stages already of an intense coaching rivalry in the PAC. 

There is already a rivalry brewing between the two in terms of recruiting, just wait until they play each other. I do think the fans will make a bigger deal out of it than the coaches but still. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, the Pac12 coaches are all cordial. Cool.

They also haven't had a team in the playoff since 2015? 

Haven't won a Natty since 2004? 

I realize they all got rich, but their results sucked. 

Some sharp elbows and maybe a little cross-checking would be a welcome sight 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I do remember Petey not being too happy about Bellotti and Oregon. I suppose that was back when there was more on the line.

"Once that happened, the Pac-12 waited exactly six minutes before making the public announcement that it was dropping the North-South format."

I do like the feel of the new direction the Pac-12 has taken since GK has taken the reins.  Better for the conference is better for the Ducks!  I appreciate strong moves by leadership, especially when they offer more chances for the Ducks to win the P12 Championship!

BTW, I am a fan of this: “Those effing guys right there, they represent everything that’s wrong with football. So when you kick their a$$, you let them know it.”  Too bad it was stated by the recently departed Mari, but all the same I appreciate the sentiment.  Too bad Mari couldn't walk that talk the rest of the season, especially when he handed Utah the P12 championship...

I am looking forward to a lot more correlation between the talk and the on field performance!!

Go Ducks!!

• Thumbs Up 2

Is it not likely that the PAC-12 will respect a couple of well-entrenched (bitter) rivalries for each team, say Oregon State and Washington for the  Ducks, and go with a round robin with the remaining teams? Every team in the SEC has one permanent cross-division rival that it plays every year:

Georgia's is the Auburn Tigers, Florida's is the LSU Tigers, for example. Most SEC fans would prefer to add another permanent cross division rival and play 9 rather than 8 league  games. No one likes paying significant $ to come watch an SEC team slaughter a FCS team. Some of these match-ups are as cruel as a baby seal clubbing.

I am confident that should the SEC do away with divisions,  each team may have 2-3 permanent rivals and 6 games each year from a round robin schedule. The way it is now  is that some cross-division rivals almost never play each other. Georgia has played Texas A$M exactly once since A$M joined the conference. That is silly.

I hope everything works out with the division less structure. One thing is sure: it will  take some getting used to.

• Thumbs Up 1

I ask again, what’s the point of having a league if you don’t play everyone in the league? Shake it up, IMHO the rush to expand is a huge mistake, just adding teams you won’t play every year? What’s the point other than creating controversy for the talking heads, and 4 hour games to sell you chips. To steal a phrase-Bah Humbug

To be clear, I was also opposed to baseball splitting the American and National into divisions as well😀.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's all about the dinero. IMHO Just because you don't play all the teams in your league doesn't lessen the title. If you win your in.

Rivalries are what makes CFB special they have to be preserved. 

Playing 8 league games rather than 9 means you are not pushed hard for all season long and can have a fresher team at the end. I do believe that it's been one of the main reasons why the SEC is the top league and helps them in the post season.

It would help us more than the changing of who plays in the title game. The problem is the TV people won't let us do that. Deniro matters more than common sense.

Oh and the B10 staying at 9 means we won't either. Sure wish we would stop letting them dictate to us like we are their baby brother rather than equals. But again dinero trumps every other thing.

Our friend Jon Joesph has pointed all these things out numerous times and I agree with him we should expand our league into Texas with it's TV rich implications. Then maybe we would have more of a bargaining chip with the money matters more people.

Must keep the rivalry games!

It is exactly those games that make CFB matter.

I loved it when we played every team, still wish we could, but we of the north need yearly visits to the LA region to support our recruiting efforts. 

I like the leadership of GK. He is a breath of fresh air. The quick announcement was a result of him knowing what the members wanted. 

Making changes last year about playoff expansion etc, was too early in his tenure. I believe now the Pac12 is more united and has a direction. I bet from now on decisions will be timely and affective. 

No more waiting to follow the B1G. 

Now of course the question, is Oregon-Washington truly a rivalry? Oregon 15-2 the last 17? Of course, it's  24-24  over the last 50 years, so begrudgingly let's call it a rivalry, and frankly, who would Oregon like to see there every season more that the Big W. 

It's a rivalry because we hate them they hate us even tho we've been kicking the snot out of them this century.