Kurt Rambis

Is This the Next Logical Step for Conferences?

How long do you all think it will be until weaker, less valuable members of various conferences start being invited to leave?  Teams that don't come from huge media markets, like Kentucky or Iowa?

I don't know how this would work legally (and I assume it varies with each conference agreement), but rather than just expanding, will Ol' Miss be asked to depart, while Washington (with a larger media market) gets invited in?  Will Iowa State get tossed in favor of Arizona State?

Sadly, it wouldn't even be based on performance; Rutgers and Vanderbilt would probably stick around because their markets have TV HH.  

I'm just wondering whether that will be the next shoe to drop...

Nice observation, and if that comes to pass, it does not bode well for schools like Oregon State and Washington State.

Its all about the money and the TV households -that's the new way for college football.

• Go Ducks! 1

Most universities get federal money, I have a feeling Fox and ESPN might be getting a smack down soon.  I know there was a big ta do when conferences fought for their own TV money, but I have a feeling it will be full circle.

Also, what are the exact rules for CFP?  Aren't there 11-12 people one from each conference and ND making decisions?  Is there enough eyes for B1G Ten and SEC to just say, we are going to have our own thing?  I know they have a majority of the major names, but if you take away everybody else, is it really the same thing?

Interesting question. In other words, can the growing power of national cable tv $$ eventually assume control of university athletic policy, and thereby completely undermine and remove whatever is left of conference regional traditions? You could certainly argue that is the direction in which  things are headed.

The smaller schools may end up relying on streaming services.

If there's more money, great. It seems live TV is where the power is tho.

The problem with moving towards something is that you also in the same motion, move away from something. At the moment, the major players in college football see themselves moving towards a super league of 30-40 teams. That sounds a lot cooler than simply creating a minor league for the NFL.

Would Kentucky or Duke basketball consider joining the NBA G League a step up? Would ASU baseball see becoming a AAA minor league team a step up? Both scenarios would put them into higher levels of competition but at the expense of reducing the college experience. How much allure would there be for a a player to be nothing more than a backup on a semi pro team without the tradition and hoopla that goes with collegiate sports?

At what point does the promise of making 50k a year to go 4-8 at semi pro Texas lose appeal to the full college experience and going 10-2 at Baylor? Stripping the college part out of collegiate sports may end up derailing this semi pro vision before it starts.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/21/2022 at 10:43 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

How long do you all think it will be until weaker, less valuable members of various conferences start being invited to leave?  Teams that don't come from huge media markets, like Kentucky or Iowa?

I don't know how this would work legally (and I assume it varies with each conference agreement), but rather than just expanding, will Ol' Miss be asked to depart, while Washington (with a larger media market) gets invited in?  Will Iowa State get tossed in favor of Arizona State?

Sadly, it wouldn't even be based on performance; Rutgers and Vanderbilt would probably stick around because their markets have TV HH.  

I think OSU may get some credit for being as close to Portland as it is.

Programs like Vanderbilt and Rutgers are interesting. They are in major metro areas, but they are hardly relevant in those metro areas. They will still have to be relevant enough in those areas to make a difference to the conferences.

In football Rutgers is the best college team in the NYC area, but they are still competing for attention with two NFL franchises. In B-ball NYC has lots of options, Seton Hall, St. Johns, U Conn, even as far as Syracuse. 

In Nashville you have an NFL franchise, plus Tennessee is probably more popular there than Vanderbilt.

Vanderbilt lifts the whole SEC academic profile, if that is relevant at all in the discussion it may help them.

On 7/21/2022 at 8:19 AM, Duck 1972 said:

If there's more money, great. It seems live TV is where the power is tho.

Most people I know do not use cable anymore so streaming may be the new future.

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2022 at 7:43 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

I did pose this question a couple weeks ago in my article. I think it is inevitable because the bigger revenue drivers will want a bigger slice of the pie and would happily ditch non revenue building schools.

In the B1G think of how much money Ohio State brings in and by comparison how little Indiana or Rutgers brings in? How long do you think Ohio State or even FOX is going to want that to work? 

FOX would definitely see ditching Indiana for like Oregon would be a revenue increase because Oregon is a bigger and better brand. 

College-Football-Overlords-2-300x300-cro
FISHDUCK.COM

This will come as no surprise to any of you, but the NCAA is dead. It ceded away its power to the major...