DazeNconfused

Ducks Throw 4 Picks - Several Fumbles In Second Fall Scrimmage

Lanning has said his QB has to take care of the ball and we have 6 picks in the two scrimmages. Whoever is QB1 better take care of the ball, or we will end up with run heavy Mario ball in a hurry if the defense lives up to expectations. 

here is Q and A from article.. 

Q: WERE THE TURNOVERS MORE INTERCEPTIONS OR FUMBLES?

DL: "We had four picks today; we had several balls on the ground. You know, in general, just fall in jeopardy situations that we got to do a better job of."

Q: Was that the result of the defense playing well or just offensive mistakes?

DL: "It's a combination of both not catching it clean turns into a tipped ball turns into an interception. Some poor decision-making, some taking advantage of an opportune moment and doing a good job attacking the ball. So it's a combination we got to do a better job taking care of it."

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon had its second fall camp scrimmage on Saturday. Head coach Dan Lanning met with the media afterward and fielded questions.  Here's a complete transcript from

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

You would never hear a former HC say this as Lanning did today...  Whew!

Q: HOW WOULD YOU ASSESS YOURSELF AFTER TWO SCRIMMAGES AND WHAT CAN YOU IMPROVE ON?

DL: "I mismanaged an in-game situation here today where we could have got a clock play in, that I want to get better. The clock was running and we probably hurry to get a field goal, I would have gone back and done that differently. I think there's still some stuff that I want to keep coaching myself on and you only do that by creating those moments in practice. Again, the thing that I think is going to help me be successful is I have really good coaches around me, and I can lean on those guys for moments of growth."

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/20/2022 at 6:29 PM, Charles Fischer said:

You would never hear a former HC say this as Lanning did today...  Whew!

Q: HOW WOULD YOU ASSESS YOURSELF AFTER TWO SCRIMMAGES AND WHAT CAN YOU IMPROVE ON?

DL: "I mismanaged an in-game situation here today where we could have got a clock play in, that I want to get better. The clock was running and we probably hurry to get a field goal, I would have gone back and done that differently. I think there's still some stuff that I want to keep coaching myself on and you only do that by creating those moments in practice. Again, the thing that I think is going to help me be successful is I have really good coaches around me, and I can lean on those guys for moments of growth."

I have no problem with him admitting he needs to get better. No coach is perfect, not even Saban.

Lanning as a 36yo first time head coach is going to have some things he will have to learn to be better at, just like he is teaching his players they have to get better. 

It's how much they all care about getting better that will drive them. If your coach is working the daily team process with you - it has to be a bit different and bonding. Coach isn't asking anything more of you than he does of himself.

Edited by DazeNconfused

Below is article just posted to the FishDuck Feed that relates perfectly to the subject of this post.

Turnovers plague Ducks, deflate momentum in final scrimmage of fall season

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

With 4 INTs and several fumbles on Saturday, Oregon has some work to do in cleaning up the little things before Georgia comes...

I get its camp and guys are competing and want to make things happen, but Lanning has been on QB ball security from day 1 here. Dilly just was talking about this pre-scrimmage.

“I think most of the decisions that ended up being bad decisions today were somebody trying to make something out of nothing, and trying to create a play when they didn’t need to,” Dan Lanning said on Saturday. “A bad play turned into a worse play, you know, and that’s something we have to do a better job of.”

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/20/2022 at 6:51 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Turnovers plague Ducks, deflate momentum in final scrimmage of fall season

To be fair the new defense is keyed on creating turnovers so it's somewhat of a double edged sword.

Reading some of the interview it seems like DL was critical of players trying to create something from nothing.  

That can be a young RB with a spin move and poor ball security or a QB forcing passes into good coverage.

If it's Bo then it's bad news that needs to be corrected quickly.  Forcing balls in close games was one of his bad habits.

I'm hoping this is DL trying to fake out Smart's scouting.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/20/2022 at 11:54 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

I'm hoping this is DL trying to fake out Smart's scouting.

I was thinking this myself...Could Lanning be saying this to fake out Georgia? Maybe this is part of his strategy!

On 8/20/2022 at 9:06 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Maybe this is part of his strategy

It's possible, but the most likely explanation is Bo. But then that's what would make it a great fake out.  DL knows Georgia, what offense advantage does he have with Georgia in ball hawk mode?  Quick passes and RPO?

Earlier in Talkin Season I implored Duck fans not to heap so many lofty  expectations on Lanning right away because first-year head coached  make bonehead  mistakes at times. MC did it, Lanning  admitted to it today,  and Kirby Smart lost a game  for Georgia in his first year due to clock mismanagement. It happens folks! Judge DL on the results of year 2or 3 rather than expecting  him to  bring home all the bacon in year 1.

• Thumbs Up 3

I saw disappointment in his posture.  He seems like a straight shooter and he expected a better performance.

What I do like is he isn't a quitter. You can see the determination all over his demeanor.  This team is going to improve week to week.

But they're not ready for an elite team like Georgia yet.  Lanning clearly sees that, and I'm sure we all know why.  

Cristobal did not develop his talented team.  Physically, mentally, nor tactically.  These kids are finally learning the game of football.  Not just skill sets, but the game itself.  

I watched a lot of interviews today, and I gleamed the players believe in their talent, but they weren't led to maximize it.  They don't just repeat Mario's mantra of physicality like they did last year.  They talk about the game, chemistry, and they look as loose as they did before the Ohio State game.

The coaches speak of accountability, especially when it concerns rising to the task of becoming elite. That's not what they say, but it's what both the players and coaches emit energetically.  I can tell they are evolving into what they expected to be with Mario. 

Tactically, I'm hoping they recognize what they are now, so they can play within themselves against Georgia.  It sounds like they are pressing to be elite before they grow into an elite team (hence the mistakes). 

I wish I could say all this succinctly.  But it's difficult for me to explain without going into details.

What I saw today from Lanning's interview is the players are doing everything they can to "catch up" to their actual talent level.  For the first time, they're recognizing they have to play harder than they ever thought they could. That elite is a habit they didn't know they didn't have. And now they're pressing to get there yesterday. 

I believe they'll get there.  The coaches demand it.  And the coaches are realistic.  I see the coaches expressing urgency and demonstrating patience.  We're going to have to do the same.  

This team is going to be really good by the end of the year.  They want it...bad. But they're going to have to go through the same process Kirby Smart went through.  That takes time.

They're not there yet. That sucks. But man do I see massive upside coming this year.  

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

While preseason scrimmages always draw attention, at the end of the day, I find it good to remind myself it still is just practice.

Probably somewhere across the college football landscape there are a few coaches who are secretly loving their scrimmages - and are having a hard time hiding it. (If so) they seem to be doing a pretty good job of it - as pretty much all of the reports I've come across - have less than happy head coaches.

It's a new Duck coaching staff, putting in new systems, with either new or young pieces stepping into many main roles (especially on the offensive skill side of things but also in some key spots on defense). It would probably be more surprising to hear scrimmage number two went off like a well oiled machine.

When breaking down games, I think there often is a tendency to look at them as either: what happens if a team plays lights out, or what happens if the wheels come off for a team. Usually (but not always) both teams perform somewhere closer to the center of the performance curve.

I caught some of 9-0 Georgia playing 5-4 Tennessee from last year; and, I thought Tennessee did a respectable job playing them (it was 17-10 with 0:37 seconds left until half until Georgia hooked up a 23 yard TD pass).

Georgia wore them out and pulled away comfortably (UT still appears a work-in progress from the Pruitt mess and arguably the Dooley and Jones eras). I think they ended up with 17 points and 387 yards. Tennessee's offense did put up numbers all year (ending up like #16 in yards per game and #9 in points per game), so no shade, another strong showing for the Georgia D. 

Maybe of note, according to the announcers, Georgia never took out its starting defense, even after getting up 41-10 (on the way to the 41-17 final). It did look like UT found some success using tempo against that great Georgia D. I'm sure DL had a long look at that from the Georgia sidelines, and it will be interesting to see how much Oregon attempts a similar tempo (especially against a defense with 8 new starters). As well, can Oregon even do that (9 months removed from Mario ball) in a season opener in a new offensive system (or will it actually turn into Georgia's favor if the Duck offense isn't ready to run at tempo and instead generates numerous assorted errors)?

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thumbs Up 1

An interesting article posted this morning to the FishDuck Feed speaks directly to this post. The author, Zachary Neal gives the following advice:

"It would probably be a good exercise for every Oregon fan to take a few minutes over the next few days and set straight your realistic expectations for the Ducks this season."

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

In the coming days, every Oregon fan should sit down and set expectations for the season. Confidence is encouraged, but the...

• Thumbs Up 1

I think a key thing what Lanning harps on turnovers is that UGA averaged around 10 points a game off turnovers? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was 10 points. 

Lanning knows full well we have no chance against UGA if we have a bunch of turnovers, matter of fact the Ducks need to win the turnover game to have a shot.

• Like 2

Realistic expectations are difficult to find in the off season. As the off season turns to fall camp usually optimism coupled with anticipation over rules reality.

I ask myself how would Utah and Oregon fair playing in the SEC. Tops 9-3, more likely 8-4.  The SEC plays, in general, a big boy brand of football. The Tide and Dawgs maybe at another level.......

Coach Lanning, his staff and this team need to find and build their identity. Mario and his staff would not have beaten tOSU in game 1 of season 1. 

Until we find out differently, I am gonna go ahead and suggest the Georgia players are gonna put their uniform pants on one leg at a time too.

I know people feel pretty positive about the future of Duck football in 2-3 years; but, a lot can happen in that time (and that is without adding in the current changing landscape of college football).

The Ducks have what one Georgia outlet recently called "an OL full of grown men" (with the current top 6 all entering either their 5th or 6th year of college football), a former 5 star HS QB that started 3 years in the SEC, possibly the best and deepest group of WR the program has maybe ever had, two highly rated promising young TEs, what appears to have become a deep and interesting group of young RBs, an experienced front 7 that may have as many as 5 future NFL players, and a secondary with two national top 100 recruits, an All-Pac-12 CB, a guy who looked like a possible AA candidate before going out for the season with injury, and two additional returning safeties with a lot of college snaps.

Why not have a few expectations? This team quite possibly will be replace 14 to 15 starters in 2023 (including possible the whole starting OL, QB, and maybe 4 of it's 5 top LBs). Where will it be in 2024? Hard to say as recruiting has remained solid but possibly all but a handful of players we will see in key roles this year will even be around.

Maybe expectations of a playoff run are too much; but, I don't know if anything less than a very strong season is exactly a crazy expectation. Just one opinion though.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I always wondered if it was fair playing, scrimmaging against a team, your defense who knows every play, every player and tendency. I think that was our problem with the previous staff as the season went along. Our tendencies were easily predictable, and the defense had a huge advantage. 

I am not too worried about interceptions, it may just be our defense is that good and the DB's know what the play is. If anything it is giving our receivers some good practice on trying to win 50/50 balls. 

Of course I am wearing my green sunglasses whenever I read about my Ducks! The Oregon earbuds also help me hear and see everything in a positive light.

Unknown.jpeg

41ssh_W1MVL_560x.jpg.webp

• Cool 2

To me the words Realistic Expectations mean --not very good.

On 8/21/2022 at 10:24 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

To me the words Realistic Expectations mean --not very good.

I fear you may be viewing the phrase in too pessimistic a light.  I think the point is the Ducks aren’t going to be UGA out of the gate even though DL was their D coordinator.  

The team is talented and is coming from a system that was offensively conservative which had the downstream effect of placing additional pressure on a shaky D and, as has been noted, didn’t do a fantastic job of helping develop players to achieve their max potential 

An offseason doesn’t fix that completely.  The season will (should) show growth.  The unfortunate reality is CFB doesn’t reward growth over the season as does a sport like basketball with its inclusive tournament that makes such teams quite dangerous.  

The cupboard is by no means bare so ‘not too well’ should not be a realistic expectation of performance.  But breaking into a status of being elite year in and year out takes at least two and likely three years when a program shifts gears as radically as Oregon does in transitioning from MC to DL.  

Actually I look at it from a money point, Todays $$ thrown at the Ducks has to pan out or its a failure. Im not a middle of the road person. I was a Duck fan long before all this $$$ talk. 4 and 5 mill a year coaches need to win right away or they are gone. Think about any other profession. We have the recruits and we supposedly have the coaching.I dont think a win at Ga is possible but we need to rule the PAC.