Charles Fischer

Oregon Fans: "They Were the Worst," But Now?

Back 11 years ago...a Husky writer thought Oregon fans were the worst.  Were we?  What about now?  And this is a Husky fan pointing fingers?

My thoughts?  We were winning so much back then that it was hard for the other conference teams to accept the massive success.  And it was sudden-success, and both opposing fans and Oregon fans were not used to the new-found status.  But now?  I think USC fans just might tip the scales a bit?

BLEACHERREPORT.COM

During this time of the college football offseason when teams have long since wrapped things up, the bored faithful tend to get restless. On Feb. 2, fans watched excitedly as new football...

Mr. FishDuck

USC fans are absolutely the worst right now. They are relishing how they have "defeated" Oregon by running off to the B1G and stabbing the rest of the conference in the back. 

They really seem too happy about it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, gee, I wish I could buy Mr. Caldwell a drink, to make up for all the all the horrible things all of us Duck fans have done to him and everybody all these many years! It's just so wrong, how we have carried on with callous disregard to all the other schools, teams, mascots and fans.

I frankly don't know how we all live with ourselves. Shouldn't we know our place? The Huskies are fine, noble dogs, the Trojans, well yes, a product bought in the back of drug stores, but before then, gladiators and their mascot is big horse! We have a Duck.

To Softy, and Ryan Appleby, and Jake Browning and all those other Husky legends, I can only say, 'how great thou art!'

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1

Booing injured players (fake injuries by the way)?  I’ve watched a lot of Oregon home games and I’ve never heard Oregon fans boo a real injury. Right now USC fans are over the top. So proud of skipping to the Big 10 all the while lying to other members of the conference about their intentions. I wonder how many of the author’s cited examples are due to envy about Oregon’s success? My guess is our fans have the typical spread between stupidity and genius with the stupidest also being the loudest. Human nature, sadly. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/30/2022 at 9:30 AM, 30Duck said:

the Trojans, well yes, a product bought in the back of drug stores

Explains their thin skins. 

• Haha 3

Dear Mr. Caldwell, you wrote:

"Here’s a hint to Oregon fans.  When your team has a signature win under its belt (and we’re not talking just this season, we’re talking historically); when your team isn’t staring at a 2-7 bowl record over the last nine seasons with the only wins coming in the Holiday Bowl and Sun Bowl; when you’ve beaten a handful of top 25 teams in the same season, then maybe you can run non-stop smack. Until then, perhaps you could tone it down a little."

The following non revisionist history seems to indicate that maybe ewe dub fans should tone it down A Lot . . .

Ewe dub bowl history since for the last 20 years, 1993 on Bowl record 6-13
93 Rose = L
95 Sun = L
96 Holiday = L
97 Aloha = W
98 Ohau = L
99 Holiday = L
00 Rose = W
01 Holiday = L
02 Sun = L
03 - 09 Losers
10 Holiday = W
11 Alamo = L
12 Las Vegas = L
13 Fight Hunger = W
The GREAT Coach Pete era
14 Cactus = L
15 Heart of Dallas = W
16 Peach = L (NY6)
17 Fiesta = L (semi = participation trophy game)
18 Rose = L
19 Las Vegas = goes out a winner

Just saying

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Could it be...

On 8/30/2022 at 9:30 AM, 30Duck said:

and their mascot is big horse!

On 8/30/2022 at 10:34 AM, lownslowav8r said:

So proud of skipping to the Big 10 all the while lying to other members of the conference about their intentions. 

...the trojan horse's fault??

On 8/30/2022 at 9:02 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Back 11 years ago...a Husky writer thought Oregon fans were the worst.  Were we?  What about now?  And this is a Husky fan pointing fingers?

BLEACHERREPORT.COM

During this time of the college football offseason when teams have long since wrapped things up, the bored faithful tend to get restless. On Feb. 2, fans watched excitedly

Back then (and maybe even now) the Huskies are probably the most despised team (by Duck fans) in the Pac-12.  Including USC.  The Trojans are just a bunch  of condescending players with feelings of entitlement since they once dominated the league for so many years.  But the Huskies?  That''s more personal - starting with coach Don James stabbing Oregon in the back and seemingly every coach since then fostering a dislike for our fans.  Except for Peterson, not many of us have ever had much good to say about the Huskies.  Not sure why, just the way things are, I guess.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 8/30/2022 at 2:09 PM, Mic said:

Back then (and maybe even now) the Huskies are probably the most despised team (by Duck fans) in the Pac-12.  Including USC.

For the next couple of years I think USC (and to a slightly lesser extent UCLA) take the top spots for most hated in the Pac-12. 

Washington is still hated by Ducks fans but I know personally I have some special hatred for those LA schools right now. Right now it feels like Oregon and Washington are in a situation where we have to team up to survive, we don't like it but we know we have to stick together so for the time being we'll hold our noses and do it. 

While USC and their B1G move and Pac-12 backstab have us all actively rooting against them no matter who they pay. I know this year when it comes to USC, I will not back the pack. I want to see USC lose as badly as possible. I want them to to feel like they can't compete in the Pac-12 and as they look over the edge and reflect on their decision of leaving for the B1G, I want them to think about how much worse things are going to get for them with all those hours of travel just to play half their conference games. 

I want USC so suffer the next two years they are stuck in the Pac-12. 

As for Washington... I want them to beat the LA schools but lose every other game they play. Those are the only circumstances I will root for Washington these upcoming years. Once the LA schools are gone then I'll go back to rooting against Washington for all twelve games. So for me personally, Washington gets a slight respite from my hate, for only one week this year. 

• Applause 1

On 8/30/2022 at 2:27 PM, David Marsh said:

For the next couple of years I think USC (and to a slightly lesser extent UCLA) take the top spots for most hated in the Pac-12.  

I want USC so suffer the next two years they are stuck in the Pac-12. 

No mincing of words here!  Well, I have a lot of friends who feel exactly the same way for pretty much the same reasons as you do.  Personally, I think USC's move to the Big-Whatever is going to prove to be a big mistake, if not a fiasco.  If I'm right, they will have gotten what they deserved far better than anything we could ever do to 'em.

Also, imo, Ucla doesn't make the move to the Big-Whatever if USC hadn't made the 1st move.  But I have nothing to base that on except my own gut.

Not too sure about the USC fan base, but big market media outlets are driving me nuts. 

With people like Cowherd, I used to be able to change the channel when I thought they were on a tireless rant I didn’t agree with.  I would wait a few minutes, and then tune back in.  Now, I check in about once a week, and I’ll be darned if I don’t hear someone praising USC within half an hour.   

Just past 3PM (EST) today I tuned in to Fox Sports radio just in time to hear the host asking a guest two questions.  He asked which team will be the most intriguing to watch this year, and he asked which team will be the surprising team of the year?  Not only was the answer to both questions USC, but the notable guest writer also commented that the Trojans will push, if not be in, the top 5 by season’s end!

I live on the east coast, so at a local level I’m not inundated with Trojan love, but man, the folks that cover college football nationally have just been over-the-top.  

Given the cornucopia of pre-season accolades being piped specifically into the west coast , I wouldn't be surprised if Trojan fan is just basically unbearable right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/30/2022 at 3:50 PM, Jester said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Trojan fan is just basically unbearable right now.

USC wasn't hateable under Carroll, thet weren't despised under their Ducks coaches, McKay and Robinson. They were pretty much ignored under Smith and Hackett, and universally loved under Helton. But, without even playing a game under Riley, USC is Enemy No.1

There's nothing the talking heads like more than a story with a built in audience and that's what USC and the Dallas Cowboys have. Both have tradition and glory. But the glory is in the past. 17 Bathrooms hasn't won a game yet, but the Trojans are headed to the playoffs? I personally hope that their new RB, he won't have his name on the back of his jersey, but I'll know who he is, has an awful season.

I

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/30/2022 at 4:19 PM, 30Duck said:

I personally hope that their new RB, he won't have his name on the back of his jersey, but I'll know who he is, has an awful season.

Not me.  I'm not going to root for Dye but I'm not gonna dis him either.  He gave us some good years here and helped our team along.  He just got mixed up with the wrong crowd, that's all.  

(All them condescending, smug, think-they-know-it-all bunch of prima donnas that Southern Californians seem to love.  Just like the Dallas Cowboys. )

Basically, your "little sister's favorite team" sorta thing who, as soon as things go a little south, are completely forgotten for the next fad to come along.

On 8/30/2022 at 1:34 PM, lownslowav8r said:

Booing injured players (fake injuries by the way)?  

I remember those fake injuries. The guy who ordered them is our DC.

WWW.SBNATION.COM

We now know what the consequences were for the California football program in the fake-injury controversy: Defensive line coach Tosh Lupoi was suspended for the loss to Washington on...

• Wow 1

On 8/30/2022 at 6:32 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I remember those fake injuries. The guy who ordered them is our DC.

Great grab!  lol, in fairness to Tosh the spread mixed with the hurry up was a nightmare for defenses and they were pretty desperate to do anything to stop Oregon from hanging 70 points on them.

On 8/30/2022 at 3:50 PM, Jester said:

Not too sure about the USC fan base, but big market media outlets are driving me nuts. 

I live on the east coast, so at a local level I’m not inundated with Trojan love, but man, the folks that cover college football nationally have just been over-the-top.  

The answer's simple, imo.  Los Angelas and vicinity are one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) markets in the industry and all SC or UCLA (to a lesser extent) have to do to get 'over-the-top' media coverage is have one good season.  Lincoln Riley will bring USC to every TV box in America, at least as long as USC can keep him.

Look for him to jump ship to the NFL as soon as an opportunity he likes comes along.  Then we'll see how long they remain the media's darlings.  Tuscaloosa , nor Columbus have nothing on LA in that regard.