Desert Duck

First Lanning Play Called

Unlike Mario, I'm really hoping that Lanning's first play called as Oregon's HC will not be a timeout... prior to the kickoff 😉

In my decades of watching football, I have never seen that happen before. I liked Mario, but in hindsight, it seemed to be a bit of an omen.

There are so many unknowns right now regarding Oregon, but if they show up and compete against this loaded Georgia team, I will be a very happy fan.

By the way, Happy September 1st! Bring on the games. 

Good luck, Coach Lanning, and to the entire Oregon football team!

Edited by Desert Duck
Added a comment regarding it being September 1st today.
  • Go Ducks! 4
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

I've thought some about this...what our first offensive play call would be.  Secretly I hoped it would be a play action pass for about 20 yards, but since that's how we started the Spring Game, I have to think it's not how we'll start the Georgia game.  Maybe we can run a draw instead and capitalize on letting their pass rush over-play the ball...Who knows, but I do know we have the answer in about 53 hours! 

GOOO DUCKS!!!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'll go with a bootleg of some type.  I think Dilly's going to want to show immediately that the Duck QB is not going to be a stationary target, and he also may want to put a little pressure on the Dawg D. 

A counter naked boot would be adventuresome against a disciplined defense like GA's, but maybe Dilly's a gambler.  Who knows?  Regardless, I think the QB rolls on play #1.  

Just wait, we'll all be on the edge of seats and the Ducks will run a dive up the A gap on the right side for .5 yards.  The ghost of MC lingers.    

im-excited-can-t-wait-meme.jpg.941233f8cde469a6570ac4fb7d47eea6.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

On 9/1/2022 at 7:41 AM, Wrathis said:

I've thought some about this...what our first offensive play call would be.  Secretly I hoped it would be a play action pass for about 20 yards, but since that's how we started the Spring Game, I have to think it's not how we'll start the Georgia game.  Maybe we can run a draw instead and capitalize on letting their pass rush over-play the ball...Who knows, but I do know we have the answer in about 53 hours! 

GOOO DUCKS!!!

Breaking it down by hours. I like it!

• Thumbs Up 1

Whatever it is the next one will be even better!

My prediction two qb's run out, and then one runs off the field just to keep everyone guessing until the last second. I would also like to see some space made for Seven, then dump it off to him, just to put some speed, and quickness into the game on the first play. He then goes to the house with outstanding blocking by the receivers, you asked.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/1/2022 at 10:42 AM, Haywarduck said:

My prediction two qb's run out, and then one runs off the field just to keep everyone guessing until the last second.

Dangerous tactic: could result in a fist-fight or wrestling match.  "I'm starting!"  "No, no, I'm starting!" "No, I am...."  lol

• Oh no! 1
  • Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if Dillingham wants to take a shot down field right out the gate to test the Georgia defense. A deep shot is a test on the pass rush and on the secondary. It's risky but if it works that is one hell of an opening statement.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Punt on first down. Pin them back on the one to start the game!

• Haha 3

Quick slant pass to Tight End.

I want to see if Ducks linemen can move, Seal the edge. Seven in the backfield. Trips left pitch right. Even bring Seven in motion.

See how quick the linemen can get there and seal the edge. McGee turns on the burners for a first down first play. Establish the run early using the whole field. 

Even put another back back there to pick up the back side. Not that Seven would be caught by a D lineman from behind.

Three plays later... TOUCHDOWN OREGON!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

Considering Georgia isn't quite sure who they are playing on Saturday I would expect the first defensive series to be a bit cautious and designed to feel out Oregon's offense.

Considering Oregon isn't quite sure how the offense will execute on Saturday I would expect the script to settle some nerves and build rhythm in the offense.  

What does Oregon call for the first play?  Counter into the B gap.    

On 9/1/2022 at 1:51 PM, David Marsh said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Dillingham wants to take a shot down field right out the gate to test the Georgia defense. A deep shot is a test on the pass rush and on the secondary. It's risky but if it works that is one hell of an opening statement.

Watch out for Kelee Ringo, who's expected to go in the top ten of next years draft!

• Thumbs Up 1

My guess is a run play, hoping for 8 to 10 yards. 2nd down- pass play. Hopefully they will pass on every 3rd and long.

On 9/1/2022 at 10:54 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Punt on first down. Pin them back on the one to start the game!

That'd be one heck of a punt!