FishDuck Article

Five Keys to Oregon’s Game Against BYU

Glaring questions about the Oregon Ducks and coach Dan Lanning remain as we head into this Saturday’s home game against No. 12 BYU. The Ducks have dropped their last four games against Top 25 teams. The question on everyone’s minds is whether or not the Ducks are going to show they can compete with a Top 25 team. 1) Bo ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Glaring questions about the Oregon Ducks and coach Dan Lanning remain as we head into this Saturday's home game against No. 12 BYU. The...
  • Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thank you DazeNConfused!  Your 5 keys to the game are critical.  Your points are very descriptive.

You said, "Lanning has implemented a plan to coach his players up and address those issues.". The key word in that quote was " up". 

Coach Dan Lanning is coaching his team. Positive teaching to help his players improve!  Who wouldn't run through a wall for that kind of man.

DnC, thanks for the article and I agree 100% on your five keys. As in most football games, the battles in the trenches will go along ways in deciding the final outcome.

Since the start of the 2020 season BYU is 24-4. The 2020 season was all Group of Five or FCS teams. With their only loss on the road, late in the season to undefeated Coastal Carolina. In 2021 the Cougars improved their strength of schedule. They swept the PAC! Lost to Boise State at home. Lost to Baylor in Waco and lost to UAB in their bowl game. The Cougars are playing some good ball in the trenches.

Baylor wins games with solid defense. As you noted, they got sacks and pressure on Hall. Hall was not that effective when he was flushed from the pocket.  The Ducks will need to do the same this Saturday. They are more than capable.......

As for Bo, he does not need to be the hero. Just manage the offense. 

Distribute the ball to his play makers. Trust his talented, experienced O-line. The big boys up front will win the line of scrimmage. It's on Bo to read his keys and execute. Might take north of 40 points to win this game. That's in the Ducks wheelhouse.

In 2020, Coastal Carolina defended their home turf and beat BYU. In 2021 Baylor did the same. In 2022 the Ducks need to defend their home turf. With 58,000 plus screaming fans and great execution the Ducks will win this game.

GO DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 1

These keys are all important but I suspect #1 Bo Nix will be critical to determining success or failure.  So far this year, Bo Nix is 49-70 (70%) with 5 TDs and 2 Ints with one game against an excellent defense and another in a de facto scrimmage. 

I expect BYU's defense to fall somewhere in the middle of the first two games and be on par with most of the Pac-12 defenses.  So, I expect Nix to to throw for around 200 yards with 2 TDs and 1 Int.  That should be enough for a victory as long as the Ducks are successful with other keys.  Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1

2 keys on Offense, 2 keys on Defense:

O; Protect the ball & convert 3rd downs = Break tackles

D, Stop the run & contain the pass          = Make tackles

Edited by Mic

Great breakdown. To me, this looks like a battle between UO's higher ceiling vs BYU's higher floor. That always seemed like the underlying theme between those classic UO vs Stanford match ups. Can't wait for this one!

Bo needs to not be so eager to leave the pocket, when he does it pretty much cuts the field in half or less. He will have a better opportunity for long passes if he surveys the entire field. Throwing while running is difficult even for the best QBs. 

Watching some of his games at Auburn he was forced out of the pocket way too often and it has become a bad habit that is hard to break. Stay in the pocket a little longer and let your receivers Separate. Plant your feet and throw you will cut down the interceptions. Trust your offensive line.

My FishDuck Friends, our fellow OBD member, DazeNconfused, is not available today and unable to respond to the posts you write.  But he will be reading them later, and I will give more information a bit later.  For now--let's enjoy his take on the game on Saturday, discuss and thank him--and hope he is right!

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

DNC covered the game very well here, what I'm really anxious to see is the D that had me so excited for this season. It certainly wasn't there against Georgia and EWU wasn't a real test. I was envisioning a Gang Green renaissance. If the Ducks can make it feel like 1990 against BYU...

image.jpeg.55a39b89ad294debf0f563312fc98ca7.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/15/2022 at 10:20 AM, 30Duck said:

If the Ducks can make it feel like 1990 against BYU...

That is a FishDuck picture and I will elaborate on that game on Saturday morning!

Mr. FishDuck

One of my favorite moments in Autzen was at the 1990 BYU game. Ty Detmer on his successful Heisman campaign was sacked in the East end zone, where I was sitting. Two Duck fanatic's jumped over the wall and unfurled a sheet that was appropriately tie dyed with the lettering "TY DIED IN EUGENE OREGON".

Let's do it again.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1) Turnovers will be a deciding factor in this game. DL’s mantra of the defense winning the turnover battle each week is for a very good reason. Winning that battle is what great defenses are all about. 

2) Nix needs to be solid.

3) Some of the young players at the skill positions will need to shine.

4) Special teams play.

5) The Autzen Stadium factor. 

Edited by Drake
  • Thumbs Up 1

Very nicely written and well thought out piece.  Thank You. 

In #4 you mentioned sacks, or the lack there of.  

That is my main worry.  With this talent I was expecting much better pressure on the Eastern Washington QB.  It is still early in the season and we are very young as a team.  

Can we beat BYU or Utah without a pass rush?   

I have been studying quite a bit of Georgia defense while Dan Lanning was there, and what I can say for certain is that we have seen almost nothing of the complex tactics that the Bulldogs used.  I believe we gradually will over the course of the season, and the pass rush will get better.

It is possible that he did not unveil much versus Georgia because our players were not ready, and the 'Dawgs would have handled it fine due to practicing against it every day.  And we did not see much in the last game as I believe Lanning was holding stuff out for BYU.

I would very surprised if we did not see quite a bit a new defensive blitzes and strategies over the next two games.  (IMHO!)  And welcome to the forum!

Brandon Dorlus by Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/15/2022 at 3:09 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I have been studying quite a bit of Georgia defense while Dan Lanning was there, and what I can say for certain is that we have seen almost nothing of the complex tactics that the Bulldogs used.  I believe we gradually will over the course of the season, and the pass rush will get better.

It is possible that he did not unveil much versus Georgia because our players were not ready, and the 'Dawgs would have handled it fine due to practicing against it every day.  And we did not see much in the last game as I believe Lanning was holding stuff out for BYU.

I would very surprised if we did not see quite a bit a new defensive blitzes and strategies over the next two games.  (IMHO!)  And welcome to the forum!

Thank you for welcome.   And hello from Virginia.  We have a small but dedicated fan base here.  

We’re all hoping to see that defense we know is there.  Easy to forget just how young the Ducks are this year.  

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/15/2022 at 3:09 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Those were my thoughts also. The complexities of Lanning's defense is a lot to bite off in a fall camp and two games.

I think we will see some of those complexities unveiled Saturday. The D could look compleatly different than what we have seen to this point.

I suspect it will only be a sliver of what DL has planned for his Ducks in the future. Probably take more than even a full season to get OBD to the standard Lanning is looking for. 

That said, by end of season, I am hoping the Ducks are at a point to wreak the bowls season hopes of Utah and Bevus. Who knows, maybe USC gets rolled by the Ducks in the Pac championship game.

• Applause 1