jrw

Will the Real Noah Sewell Please Show Up.

Looking at the box score, Sewell had just 2 tackles; Bassa had 5, Brown and LaDuke 4 each, and Funa 3.

Odd.

I have no idea what's going on with him.

LB play as a whole has been disappointing. 

Expected huge years from Sewell, Funa, and Flowe.

It's been shockingly bad 

On 9/17/2022 at 6:42 PM, jrw said:

Looking at the box score, Sewell had just 2 tackles; Bassa had 5, Brown and LaDuke 4 each, and Funa 3.

Odd.

Ya same thing against Georgia.  

I wouldn't be too critical of the ILB corps just yet. The Georgia game was a comprehensive arse-whuppin by the best team in the nation and still our LBs kept the run under control, but got killed by the pass. They didn't need to bring their best game against a middling EW team.

Once we got up on BYU, with their run game struggling, the nickel and dime packages kept Sewell off the field more than if the game had been tight. Flowe was not 100% and wasn't needed since the backups were playing well and the Cougars had to rely on the passing game to try and catch up. Funa actually had a good game, setting the edge and playing sound fundamentally. The time for the LBs to shine will come.

• Thumbs Up 6

When looking at a game replay and the individual stats it is clear that the Duck D line, in this game, did a much better job of keeping the BYU runners from reaching the second level.

The D lineman had 17 combined tackles. With Dorlus (7) and Johnson (6) combining for 13. They lead the team. Let that sink in OBDF members. That's 17 less tackles that Sewell and his fellow linebackers did not have to make.

This was not the case the last 2 seasons. I would say that the less tackles the LB's have to make against the run the better. Also the farther behind the Cougars got, the more they tested the Ducks secondary. Once the Ducks front 7 contained the BYU rush the game moved away from the front seven.

I agree with EastBayDuck to not be to hard on Sewell. He has not forgotten how to play football. Last year he had to play boundary to boundary because the Duck defenders were not setting the edge. This year with better coaching and scheme the D players are improving and Sewell doesnt have to make as many tackles.

Great game Ducks. Many of these young Ducks will be playing on the Palouse for the first time. Going to need another great team effort against another Cougar team to get the win.

GO DUCKS!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Lanning's quote in last week's presser when asked about Noah indicated that they are using NS in different positions within multiple packages.   My take on that was they want him to be the focus of the Offense's shifts to allow others to gain keys on the play and disrupt....to decoy and take on 2 blockers essentially.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/18/2022 at 6:55 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

When looking at a game replay and the individual stats it is clear that the Duck D line, in this game, did a much better job of keeping the BYU runners from reaching the second level.

I haven't watched the replay yet but I get the feeling that a lot of runs are also going away from Sewell's side of the field. 

It's kind of what happened to KT last year too... Take a player out of the game by running away from them. 

This happens with lots of CBs all the time too where some teams don't throw at them so they dotb record any stats. 

I did see Sewell get stuck on a few offensive line blocks. I feel the next big step for thos front seven will be getting through that offensive line and recording some sacks. 

The other problem is that a lot of teams intentionally get the ball out quick to avoid pass rush problems. 

So it all comes back to the secondary. The secondary needs to be more consistent and give those pass rushers more time. 

I would focus on Dorlus and, my favorite, DJ JOHNSON and the games they had. If they keep playing like that the defense will come together and be the force we all want to see. The amount of holding on these guys was astounding too, they were unstoppable.

I also saw some excellent play by Gonzalez. The defense is on the rise and hopefully will be rising up as we head to Pullman. Lannings defense is just beginning to define itself. 

I saw one play Sewell was just kinda meandering around the left hash. Not really doing anything. He had a open path to the QB who was rolling out towards him. I believe play ended with a 1st down BYU.

I remember thinking "at least do something." Sewell seems to hesitate and looks unsure at times. He also spent a lot of plays on the sideline.

I don't really know why he is so inactive. My thought right now is he isn't picking up Lanning's defensive philosophy and scheme.

He does seem a little lost. Maybe he hasn't got a full grasp on the defense yet. Thinking to much? Causing hesitancy. Plus team are scheming away from LB's

Last couple years he just flat got after the ball. But he was exposed by short passes in the middle of the field.  

So I don't really know. Is he confused? Is it effort? Does it have to do with the opponent just flat staying away from him? 

Whatever it is, Lanning has to figure out how to get him involved. He is too dominant not to be. It's a problem coach.

Just "do Something Noah".

• Thumbs Up 1

Short passes to the perimeter and long balls to the non-Gonzo side of the secondary are where we are being attacked.  LB's are going to be neutralized somewhat by that approach.....except Bassa, and to a lesser degree Brown, who can cover in space.  Bassa was on fire from what I saw

• Thumbs Up 1