Pennsylvania Duck

No Wonder the B1G Wants to Add PAC-12 Teams

I've always liked to look at information from a visual standpoint. Take a look at how

many ranked teams the PAC-12 has compared to the B1G, 5 to 3! 

From the FishDuck Feed...

• Thumbs Up 1

This is the AP Poll you can use for context

Also remember that Oregon was ranked as high as  #3 last year. 

• Like 1

I am shocked that WSU, did not get ranked after beating Cal.  I say they get ranked after beating USC for their first road win in LA, you heard it first from EzDucksIt.  Then there is the Utes, at UCLA, Chip softens the Utes up a bit for the win.  Oregon in Arizona for a win with the team laser focused.  Could put six in the AP top 25.  Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1

....and WSU is the first team out in the AP poll.

Sure, it's 5 - 3, but look at where those teams are rated:

#3, #4, #10 for the B1G, compared to #6 (and I believe seriously overrated at that), #12, #13, #18, #21.  

In other words, two teams that right now might make the CFB playoffs, versus none.  I'd go for quality over quantity any day.  Especially early in the season, 15 - 25 are usually a bunch of teams that no one really know what to do with - good record but played no one (UCLA), no tradition but suddenly a solid record (Kansas), highly ranked last year but struggling (Cincinnati), etc.  Does anyone really know whether Kansas State is better than Washington State?  But everyone can see Ohio State is obviously better than Washington State.

Both conferences have plenty of traditionally weak teams - Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Cal, ASU, Oregon State.  Pac 12 has more decent teams than the B1G; B1G has more serious playoff contenders than the Pac 12.

• Thumbs Up 2

In other words, the conference needs to be "top-heavy" for multiple or any Playoff participants in the current formula.  But the good news is...

1) The number going into the Playoff is about to change to 12 over the next couple of years, and

2) Oregon could become a "Clemson" of the Pac over the same couple of years and make a high seed in the Playoff, IMHO.

Lanning giving instructions_Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Great post! 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

While it’s nowhere in the realm of a done deal (or even desirable), it’s still hilarious to think of the sphincter-stress being caused in Troyland at the thought of Oregon getting an invite to the B1G. What do the condom dispensers have to do to keep running away from Eugene? There are always American-style football club leagues in Germany or China? We’d just follow them there to. To much fun not to.

Down year for a lot of the second tier programs in the Big 10.  Iowa, Wiscy, and MSU are all down this year it appears.  Penn St. and Michigan haven't played anyone significant so far, like others said very top heavy this year.  I would say that I wouldn't be surprised if multiple teams could beat those two in the Pac-12.  Ohio St. though is a different beast, don't really believe anyone would have over a 15% chance or so of beating them.

On 10/4/2022 at 1:27 PM, spartan2785 said:

Down year for a lot of the second tier programs in the Big 10.  Iowa, Wiscy, and MSU are all down this year it appears.  Penn St. and Michigan haven't played anyone significant so far, like others said very top heavy this year.  I would say that I wouldn't be surprised if multiple teams could beat those two in the Pac-12.  Ohio St. though is a different beast, don't really believe anyone would have over a 15% chance or so of beating them.

I would have to politely disagree, last year Mario got a win, at the Shoe no less.  Just so you know, I believe, Ohio State lost that game, not that Oregon won it.  OS had at least 3 turnovers on downs alone, that is nine points given up when they had the kicker who could give them those points.  The rest of the season Ohio State beat those teams they should have and only other loss to Michigan in Ann Arbor by 15.

Ohio State is essentially the Clemson of  the B1G. This  is perhaps the most  overrated conference  in America and it is even worse for basketball than for football. Charles's statement in comment 7 above about Oregon remaining in the PAC-12 re expansion of the playoffs is right on in my humble  opinion. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/4/2022 at 4:15 PM, Charles Fischer said:

In other words, the conference needs to be "top-heavy" for multiple or any Playoff participants in the current formula.  But the good news is...

1) The number going into the Playoff is about to change to 12 over the next couple of years, and

2) Oregon could become a "Clemson" of the Pac over the same couple of years and make a high seed in the Playoff, IMHO.

Agree completely.  I was reacting to the way things are right now, not the way they will become with 12 teams in the playoffs.  

However, I still would rather be top-heavy, as the #3 and #4 teams will definitely make the playoffs, and #10 would have a strong case, whereas teams in the 15 - 25 range have no shot unless they're conference champions.

Hello from B1G 3 and little however many there are country. Yes the B1G is top heavy, and I'm not even sure if some of their top teams should be as high as they are. Michigan was less than impressive against a so so Iowa team last week, as was Penn. St. against a not very good Northwestern.

OSU has been lights out offensively, but we'll see how they fair against that school up north when they try to grind it out and control the ball, keeping it away from the OSU offense, like last year. The OSU defense has been inconsistent. At time very good at other times not so much. 

I don't think there are many other teams that will threaten the top 25 this year. 

The PAC may lose one or two ranked teams when they start playing each other. The East Coast bias of the voters will come out. Especially if some of the best teams keep playing at midnight EDT, hint, hint.

Honestly WSU should already be ranked. Only loss to Oregon in a nail bitter. But the one loss is enough to scare off east coast voters.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/4/2022 at 3:08 PM, EzDucksIt said:

I would have to politely disagree, last year Mario got a win, at the Shoe no less.  Just so you know, I believe, Ohio State lost that game, not that Oregon won it.  OS had at least 3 turnovers on downs alone, that is nine points given up when they had the kicker who could give them those points.  The rest of the season Ohio State beat those teams they should have and only other loss to Michigan in Ann Arbor by 15.

I'm confused, are you saying that nobody in the Pac has a chance to beat Ohio St. or are you saying teams have a bigger shot than 15%.  That's a fairly low amount, and that's the highest percentage I would I would give with the game at a neutral location.

On 10/5/2022 at 12:27 PM, spartan2785 said:

I'm confused, are you saying that nobody in the Pac has a chance to beat Ohio St. or are you saying teams have a bigger shot than 15%.  That's a fairly low amount, and that's the highest percentage I would I would give with the game at a neutral location.

Sorry Spartan2785,

Looking back I was a bit confused at my train of thought.  Having watched the Oregon vs WSU game, it made me think how OR gave up trying for the TD's because of WSU defense and settled for the FG's, 9 points in the first half.  In looking at the OH State game last year, I got mixed up with Day, getting nothing in 3 turn overs on downs, giving Mario the win.  My Bad.

Dan Lanning taking those 9 points, showed coming away with points can win you games.  Again, my apologies.