DuckDiggler

Flowe In The Doghouse?

I see Flowe was practicing with 2nd team and after not playing last weekend... Is he in the doghouse with DL? 

On 10/5/2022 at 11:27 AM, DuckDiggler said:

I see Flowe was practicing with 2nd team and after not playing last weekend... Is he in the doghouse with DL? 

Either that, or he’s injured…..yet again.

He has been dinged up the past couple of weeks and has been working on recovering. 

I feel Flowe is a bit of a glass cannon as an athlete. For those who don't know the gaming reference a glass cannon is high damage but also fragile. 

Flowe is an absolute wrecking ball but he seems to get himself injured to varying degrees all the time. He also isn't the most controlled when on the field which is part of him getting injured I suspect. He can find himself out of his assignment rather easily... but he usually makes up for it by flying to the ball and demolishing the ball carrier. 

On 10/5/2022 at 11:30 AM, DUCKED said:

Not really for us to speculate but I will say this:  We heard he was injured.  And we know he's been throwing opponents around after the play ends.  So it could be either.  Whichever, I hope he gets things straightened out and gets back in the game.  But O has linebacker options.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/5/2022 at 11:36 AM, Mic said:

But O has linebacker options.

And I think Bassa is a much better coverage back than Flowe and that is where we are really hurting right now. 

The secondary is improving but out soft underbelly is the coverage by our linebackers. 

Not just concerned about Flowe.  

I still do not think our defense has mentally recovered from getting punched in the mouth by Georgia? 

On 10/5/2022 at 11:50 AM, debbieduck said:

I still do not think our defense has mentally recovered from getting punched in the mouth by Georgia? 

Oh, I think they're getting better and better with that.  Lanning, if he's half the coach we hope he is, has got to have them focused game-to-game looking forward.  This is a different team than the one that flew down to Atlanta and got the cold water thrown in their face.

On 10/5/2022 at 11:50 AM, debbieduck said:

Not just concerned about Flowe.  

From the sound of what I have heard is that Lanning realized that they tried to teach too much of the defense. And players weren't comfortable with the scheme for Georgia. 

So they have had to scale back and reteach a lot of it. It isn't too surprising that it may take a couple years for the defense to fully grasp the defense. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 10/5/2022 at 11:57 AM, David Marsh said:

From the sound of what I have heard is that Lanning realized that they tried to teach too much of the defense. And players weren't comfortable with the scheme for Georgia. 

So they have had to scale back and reteach a lot of it. It isn't too surprising that it may take a couple years for the defense to fully grasp the defense. 

Agree, Lanning is use to polishing the experienced players, and then indoctrinating the freshman. Without the group of players who already know the defense he was likely too optimistic he could install the defense quickly.

Having players who know the defense already is a huge advantage. This extends to the offense and special teams, and none of them have reached their potential yet, I would bet.

Lanning is doing an outstanding job as a first time head coach, but running the whole show has to have some speed bumps. Hopefully we don't see too many speed bumps this weekend!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/5/2022 at 11:53 AM, Mic said:

Oh, I think they're getting better and better with that.  Lanning, if he's half the coach we hope he is, has got to have them focused game-to-game looking forward.  This is a different team than the one that flew down to Atlanta and got the cold water thrown in their face.

Agree 1000%

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 11:30 AM, DUCKED said:

Heard he was injured- not seriously but enough that he needed to sit last Saturday.

• Thumbs Up 1

When he is playing, Flowe is very similar to Sewell in 2020...a lot of great plays, and inexperience that takes reps to overcome.  And being injured prevents that from happening.

He may never reach his potential here unless he does the McCormick route of patience.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/5/2022 at 1:50 PM, Charles Fischer said:

He may never reach his potential here unless he does the McCormick route of patience.

Odd how the 'Football Gods' pick some players out for injury problems like McCormick and Flowe.  Then you think of guys like Tom Brady who have played all those years of HS, College and Pro ball without ever suffering a career or even season-ending injury.  At least, not a serious injury like McCormick's had to deal with.  

• Great post! 1

On 10/5/2022 at 11:57 AM, David Marsh said:

100% for sure!  You could see during the Georgia game that they were confused, even before the snap.  Guys were thinking and not playing free.  They were out of position and late to react, which resulted in a bunch of missed tackles and big plays by Georgia.

IMO it is getting a little bit better each week, but they are not there yet.  This week will be a HUGE test with Arizona's receivers.     

On 10/5/2022 at 2:00 PM, Mic said:

Odd how the 'Football Gods' pick some players out for injury problems like McCormick and Flowe.  Then you think of guys like Tom Brady who have played all those years of HS, College and Pro ball without ever suffering a career or even season-ending injury.  At least, not a serious injury like McCormick's had to deal with.  

It is a baffling phenomenon.  The 'Glass Cannon' moniker says it all.  I think of guys like Patrick Chung who seemingly played every down of football possible in college and the NFL.....and then there are the Canton K's, Curtis White's and numerous Blazer centers over the years that have tons of promise, but cannot stay out of the training room.