shawnski

Mario Food for Thought

This topic has been mentioned, alluded to, and beaten around the bush a little bit here, and by me specifically in the past.

I feel the Ducks won't be GREAT until they are able to exorcise their "demons."

Mainly the hang-over from the previous administration(s).

The stupid show-boating, bad penalties, not showing up for games, disappearing in games, maybe a lack of confidence?

Little by little, DL helps them turn the page.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1

I will allow anyone to post their opinions in all directions, and I personally will continue to make reference to Mario because:

1) It is fun,

2) It is entertaining.

3) It makes me grateful-as-hell that he is gone.

Mario Cristobal_247 Video.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Mic drop 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

The weekly train wreck that is Miami and the weekly growth of this team couldn't be more opposite. I think The Ducks and The U were nearly identically ranked to start the season.

I'm just constantly amazed at how Mario's decision to leave may have just ushered in a UO golden era reboot. And Mario can stop giving us so many pratfalls to talk about when ever he wants if he can help it.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1

I, for one, am greatful Mario was here.  He filled a vacancy that needed an immediate replacement, was really liked by his players, recruited like crazy, and inspite of poor game management, won a lot of games.  However, it was obviously time for him to go, as his expiration date had past.  It was convenient for us that Miami was looking and he wanted to go home.

Fast forward, we now have a new rookie coach that is a total class act, regardless of his win loss record.  He's smart, intuitive, loves to coach, has put together a great staff, his game management skills even with lack of experience has been superb.  His players love him.  If there's a problem, he addresses it immediately, and the team is growing week to week. He's an awesome representative for the U of O.

I would bet anything that most of the Miami fans, and especially those on their forums, would trade coaches in a heartbeat.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/9/2022 at 4:59 PM, 47sgs said:

would trade coaches in a heartbeat.

Wouldn't take that long!

• Haha 1

On 10/9/2022 at 4:59 PM, 47sgs said:

However, it was obviously time for him to go, as his expiration date had past.  It was convenient for us that Miami was looking and he wanted to go home.

I think his expiration date was reached... I don't think as fans we would have been happy with the extension deal Uncle Phil had proposed. 

It hurt losing our recruiting class or most of it... But I think we saved a massive chunk of our roster at the same time. 

You are right ... His time had come and I'm glad he left. 

• Go Ducks! 1

On 10/9/2022 at 2:37 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I will allow anyone to post their opinions in all directions, and I personally will continue to make reference to Mario because:

1) It is fun,

2) It is entertaining.

3) It makes me grateful-as-hell that he is gone.

Mario Cristobal_247 Video.jpg

The very best move Mario made was going back to Miami.  He got exposed a season earlier than I expected, but we all know we dodged a massive bullet when he refused our contract offer.

It is ironic when you think about it.  Both Mario and the Snake had the talent to land  OBD in the title game again. Both walked right in to own demise instead.

It won't happen this year. Probably not next. But if Dan Lanning is as good as he seems to be, OBD may end up right back to 2007.  With enough talent to actually win the Natty. 

Thank you Mario Cristobal.  For being who you are as a coach.  And relinquishing control of OBD to someone who might actually have the ability to finish what Brooks, Bellotti, and PK started. 

Just wait until he has his guys, and that stadium built only 9 miles away. Wait, they have to wait, they signed him for $80 million and 10 years.

ac18e8f7e60fcf1f6bd2c779e3f45de5.jpeg

Like I said a couple weeks back on a different subject, I know when I'm licked.  I only brought Mario's name up this morning because I continue to marvel at what a fine Offensive line Oregon has right now.  And I just thought he should at least be recognized for leaving us that.

We're all glad he's gone, it seems.  We can all come together over that.  

Besides, who knows how much longer the senior Alumni and donors,  Phil Knight and the Athletic Department at Oregon were going to put up with him after his W/L record began to slip?