FishDuck Article

Can Bo Nix Get Invited to New York?

“Is Bo Nix Winning the Heisman a Total Pipe Dream?”

FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of FishDuck.com ponders the idea of Bo Nix getting invited to New York for the Heisman Trophy ceremony.

• Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I stick by my prediction, he will have to win the tight games. I would say this will be the second tight game he needs to win. 

I also think the season sets up pretty nice for him. He plays most tough games at home, and then the Pac-12 Championship game.  The good news is the Pac-12 championship game would be the final item on his Heisman resume. The Heisman is awarded early December.

The Oregon schedule sets up very nicely for Nix to make a strong run at a seat at the show. Bo should at least start thinking about what he would wear. He has done more than enough to be in the discussion and for that we should all be grateful!

I was on board with Bo Nix from the start.  I don't think we have seen the best from Bo Nix yet. Dudes a baller. With the O-line and skill players he has. I wouldn't be surprised if he claimed a seat.

A lot of Duck fans were down on the Bo Nix transfer. Bo had to win the fan base as much as he had to win the job. He has done that. 

He will still have some "No Bo" moments. Every QB in the CFB will. This guy is a leader and winner though. The players on this team know it and they would run through a brick wall for this guy.

I cheered when he announced his transfer and no matter what happens I will cheer him to the end. He is the starting QB for the Mighty Ducks of Oregon. That means something special.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/17/2022 at 6:50 AM, Log Haulin said:

I was on board with Bo Nix from the start.  I don't think we have seen the best from Bo Nix yet. Dudes a baller. With the O-line and skill players he has. I wouldn't be surprised if he claimed a seat.

A lot of Duck fans were down on the Bo Nix transfer. Bo had to win the fan base as much as he had to win the job. He has done that. 

He will still have some "No Bo" moments. Every QB in the CFB will. This guy is a leader and winner though. The players on this team know it and they would run through a brick wall for this guy.

I cheered when he announced his transfer and no matter what happens I will cheer him to the end. He is the starting QB for the Mighty Ducks of Oregon. That means something special.

Good for you, Nix had to earn my praise, but he has proved a warrior for his team, and therefore the Oregon faithfull should embrace him.

I always thought it was a shrewd move by Dilly and Lanning to bring Nix in the fold, but felt he had to earn the starting job, and he has.

I do look forward for Oregon, too once again, bringing one of their own into the starting position. This season, however, is Bo Nix's to make something special happen, and it is happening so far.

We haven’t played a defense yet since Georgia.  

Voters know that I imagine. 

Let’s see after we play Utah, UCLA, and Oregon State.  

Win those with games and go to PAC 12 Championship game then maybe.

Main reasons I want to say no is simple. 

USC has Williams and Georgia stomped us.

And if UCLA wins it will be there QB talked about.  

Many of my questions will be answered this Saturday. 

Edited by debbieduck

On 10/17/2022 at 7:12 AM, Haywarduck said:

I do look forward for Oregon, too once again, bringing one of their own into the starting position. 

And if Bo slips and Oregon loses a game? I think for this reason you state, half the Oregon fan base will turn on him like a rabid dog. Just my opinion though, grain of salt 

With the voters this is a popularity and hype contest, with an east coast slant.

This is already down to a 7-man race. But it's more like a 4-man race for the 4th and last spot in NY. 

Being Elite in the SEC or B1G gives, Stroud, Young and Hooker a leg up with the voters as always. 

Locks

CJ Stroud- he can lose a game and still get to NY

Bryce Young- he can take a 2nd loss in the SEC Championship Game and still end up in NY. It's going to be hard to keep him out of NY since he was last year's winner.

Most Likely

Hendon Hooker - he has two more weeks as a QB of a Top-4 team before he plays Georgia. If he plays decent in a loss and it's his only loss he will be in NY. If he beats Georgia, then he becomes a Lock

Contenders

Caleb Williams - he has lots of pre-season and in-season hype, if USC wins the Pac-12 with one loss he will be in NY

DTR- he was known as a quality QB coming into the season. If UCLA wins the Pac-12 unbeaten or with one loss he is in NY.

Bo Nix - he had baggage coming into the season. Nix has to continue to play well, and the Ducks win the Pac-12 as a one loss team for him to have a shot at NY. 

Max Duggan QB TCU - he started far back, but his stats have been good. He would have to go undefeated winning the Big-12 to sneak in as the 4th man over Caleb Williams if USC wins the Pac-12. 

Darkhorses

Blake Corum RB Michigan - If U-M beats Ohio St and goes unbeaten and Corum has some huge games he can be the 4th man in NY.

Bijan Robinson RB Texas - he would need to make a run at 2000 yards and Texas win the Big-12 Title to sneak in as the 4th man. 

Spencer Sanders QB Oakie St. - he would have to win out with big games including the Big-12 Title to sneak as the 4th man. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 10/17/2022 at 8:00 AM, Log Haulin said:

And if Bo slips and Oregon loses a game? I think for this reason you state, half the Oregon fan base will turn on him like a rabid dog. Just my opinion though, grain of salt 

I agree many may turn on him, but he has earned our respect as did AB last year. The story has been printed yet so there is plenty of chapters to be written. All I know is he has earned my respect and gratitude.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'll stick with my original forecast, don't put unrealistic expectations onto Bo.

Run the offense, read the defense. 

Don't force anything, don't make idiotic mistakes.

That's it.

And with good fortune, we play for the Pac-12 championship. 

Anything else is gravy.

After that first game, the fact we are even talking like this is amazing. 

Go Ducks.

Take care of UCLA!!

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks to Darren Perkins for the interest glimpse of the to QB's.  Yeah, I think the winner of this up coming game will likely move up or down on that elusive list but I don't see Nix ever getting to the top 4.  Not unless he really, really out-plays DTR.  That will require the rest of his team out-playing UCLA as well.  

In summation I'd have to say Bo's up-side potential (if he wins) is higher (coming from 15th place) than DTR's (if he wins) being already at #5.  Likewise, Bo's down-side (if he loses) is lower than DTR's should he lose.  It's just the way things work when one player sits 11 positions or more higher.

This should translate to more pressure on DTR to perform.  Both are older veterans with lots of experience. DTR has the advantage of maturing within Chips offense where as Bo has the disadvantage of having had to remake himself in a new one.  The game ought to be a doozy!

On 10/17/2022 at 9:46 AM, Haywarduck said:

I agree many may turn on him, but he has earned our respect as did AB last year. The story has been printed yet so there is plenty of chapters to be written. All I know is he has earned my respect and gratitude.

No, I don't think so.  Or maybe I should say I hope not?

oops, this was meant to be my reply to log haul's post not your hayward.  sorry

Edited by Mic

On 10/17/2022 at 8:00 AM, Log Haulin said:

No, I don't think so, Log Haulin.  Not unless he stinks the place up and nothing he's done this year so far, including the Georgia game, has made us think he will.

On 10/17/2022 at 6:30 AM, Haywarduck said:

I stick by my prediction, he will have to win the tight games. I would say this will be the second tight game he needs to win. 

I also think the season sets up pretty nice for him. He plays most tough games at home, and then the Pac-12 Championship game.  The good news is the Pac-12 championship game would be the final item on his Heisman resume. The Heisman is awarded early December.

The Oregon schedule sets up very nicely for Nix to make a strong run at a seat at the show. Bo should at least start thinking about what he would wear. He has done more than enough to be in the discussion and for that we should all be grateful!

It'll be fun to see how it goes down this Saturday, for sure!

On 10/17/2022 at 9:46 AM, Haywarduck said:

Now, I can reply:  

I don't think half the state will turn on him (see above post to Log Haulin) and I think most will still be grateful for how we've gotten here at 5-1.  If they don't I'd be very surprised.  After what happened in Georgia I think a lot of people were thinking 6-6 season coming up and a lousy bowl -at the very best.  

On 10/17/2022 at 6:50 AM, Log Haulin said:

Agree. And, it seems like he wasn't coached correctly at Auburn, which contributed to his mistakes there. 

On 10/17/2022 at 10:05 AM, Darren Perkins said:

Agree. And, it seems like he wasn't coached correctly at Auburn, which contributed to his mistakes there. 

Given the way Auburn's been playing recently, you could be right.  But he sure played well the first time we saw him in an Auburn uniform.

On 10/17/2022 at 7:45 AM, debbieduck said:

We haven’t played a defense yet since Georgia.  

Voters know that I imagine. 

Let’s see after we play Utah, UCLA, and Oregon State.  

Win those with games and go to PAC 12 Championship game then maybe.

Main reasons I want to say no is simple. 

USC has Williams and Georgia stomped us.

And if UCLA wins it will be there QB talked about.  

Many of my questions will be answered this Saturday. 

Yup, still a long way to go, starting with Chip this Saturday. 

On 10/17/2022 at 8:14 AM, DazeNconfused said:

With the voters this is a popularity and hype contest, with an east coast slant.

This is already down to a 7-man race. But it's more like a 4-man race for the 4th and last spot in NY. 

Being Elite in the SEC or B1G gives, Stroud, Young and Hooker a leg up with the voters as always. 

Locks

CJ Stroud- he can lose a game and still get to NY

Bryce Young- he can take a 2nd loss in the SEC Championship Game and still end up in NY. It's going to be hard to keep him out of NY since he was last year's winner.

Most Likely

Hendon Hooker - he has two more weeks as a QB of a Top-4 team before he plays Georgia. If he plays decent in a loss and it's his only loss he will be in NY. If he beats Georgia, then he becomes a Lock

Contenders

Caleb Williams - he has lots of pre-season and in-season hype, if USC wins the Pac-12 with one loss he will be in NY

DTR- he was known as a quality QB coming into the season. If UCLA wins the Pac-12 unbeaten or with one loss he is in NY.

Bo Nix - he had baggage coming into the season. Nix has to continue to play well, and the Ducks win the Pac-12 as a one loss team for him to have a shot at NY. 

Max Duggan QB TCU - he started far back, but his stats have been good. He would have to go undefeated winning the Big-12 to sneak in as the 4th man over Caleb Williams if USC wins the Pac-12. 

Darkhorses

Blake Corum RB Michigan - If U-M beats Ohio St and goes unbeaten and Corum has some huge games he can be the 4th man in NY.

Bijan Robinson RB Texas - he would need to make a run at 2000 yards and Texas win the Big-12 Title to sneak in as the 4th man. 

Spencer Sanders QB Oakie St. - he would have to win out with big games including the Big-12 Title to sneak as the 4th man. 

Nice breakdown. Would nice to tOSU and Alabama lose a couple regular season games, but we know how that ususally goes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/17/2022 at 9:49 AM, DanLduck said:

I'll stick with my original forecast, don't put unrealistic expectations onto Bo.

Run the offense, read the defense. 

Don't force anything, don't make idiotic mistakes.

That's it.

And with good fortune, we play for the Pac-12 championship. 

Anything else is gravy.

After that first game, the fact we are even talking like this is amazing. 

Go Ducks.

Take care of UCLA!!

Agreed. Let's get to 12-1!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/17/2022 at 9:56 AM, Mic said:

Thanks to Darren Perkins for the interest glimpse of the to QB's.  Yeah, I think the winner of this up coming game will likely move up or down on that elusive list but I don't see Nix ever getting to the top 4.  Not unless he really, really out-plays DTR.  That will require the rest of his team out-playing UCLA as well.  

In summation I'd have to say Bo's up-side potential (if he wins) is higher (coming from 15th place) than DTR's (if he wins) being already at #5.  Likewise, Bo's down-side (if he loses) is lower than DTR's should he lose.  It's just the way things work when one player sits 11 positions or more higher.

This should translate to more pressure on DTR to perform.  Both are older veterans with lots of experience. DTR has the advantage of maturing within Chips offense where as Bo has the disadvantage of having had to remake himself in a new one.  The game ought to be a doozy!

And our D will have a lot to say how DTR plays. I'd like to see him get hit hard (legally) and rattled early. 

On 10/17/2022 at 10:13 AM, Darren Perkins said:

And our D will have a lot to say how DTR plays. I'd like to see him get hit hard (legally) and rattled early. 

A lot!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/17/2022 at 10:13 AM, Darren Perkins said:

DTR looked liked a prize fighter against Utah.  No goofing around, no smiling, no screwing off like usual.  

He is dialed in this season.  I think we better score first. 

On 10/17/2022 at 10:28 AM, debbieduck said:

DTR looked liked a prize fighter against Utah.  No goofing around, no smiling, no screwing off like usual.  

He is dialed in this season.  I think we better score first. 

That would be nice, it will be a wild one. 

On 10/17/2022 at 10:10 AM, Darren Perkins said:

Nice breakdown. Would nice to tOSU and Alabama lose a couple regular season games, but we know how that ususally goes. 

East coast Bias is hard to overcome. Does anyone doubt the expanded 12 team playoff will have six of the teams be from the SEC and B1G every year?

Of the 6 at large spots odds are four are SEC and B1G.

On 10/17/2022 at 11:25 AM, DazeNconfused said:

East coast Bias is hard to overcome. Does anyone doubt the expanded 12 team playoff will have six of the teams be from the SEC and B1G every year?

Of the 6 at large spots odds are four are SEC and B1G.

Well this season you could justify 3 or 4 sec teams.  

On 10/17/2022 at 10:04 AM, Mic said:

I don't think half the state will turn on him (see above post to Log Haulin) and I think most will still be grateful for how we've gotten here at 5-1.

I agree and feel the same sentiment; his turnaround has been miraculous, and we fans have been the beneficiaries.  I am grateful.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck