Charles Fischer

Isn't the Throat Slash Gesture Illegal in CFB?

I thought they made a rule forbidding it?  In the unsportsmanlike conduct category?

Brandon Dorlus giving the gesture after a TFL vs. Cal...
Dorlus Throat Slash_Fox Sports Video.jpg

Not a classy look...

• Oh no! 1
  • Wow 1

Mr. FishDuck

Yes I remember Tony Washington getting penalized for this against Arizona in Mariota’s senior season, negating a sack and likely costing us the win. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/5/2022 at 9:48 AM, Tbird said:

Tony Washington getting penalized for this against Arizona

Hmmm… I remember Washington getting penalized on that play for taking a bow, not for a throat slash. 

Maybe he did both?

Or maybe I was so upset about the unjustice of the call I subconsciously minimized the offense?

I saw that, as well.

I've seen veiled motions by other players where it's across the eye area, but the message is the same to me.

Thanks for calling it out.

Unsportsman like conduct definitely includes a broad area of acts and gestures. 

I don’t mind a brief celebration with teammates, but individual celebrations for making common plays puts the team in jeopardy of receiving dumb penalties. 

Those celebrations are the antithesis of team.

• Applause 2

What’s interesting about watching the entire sequence is he starts with the intention of making the throat cutting gesture, then catches himself in the act of doing so — thinks twice — and alters the gesture into a ‘no, no’ wave of the hand. I credit him with catching himself, but by not doing so before he makes the gesture should have been penalized.

• Thumbs Up 1

If he didn't actually slash it may have been ignored... Like he just held his had around his throat but not completing the motion. 

Not a good look either way. 

On 11/5/2022 at 11:15 AM, David Marsh said:

If he didn't actually slash it may have been ignored... Like he just held his had around his throat but not completing the motion. 

Not a good look either way. 

I can make a video of it if need be; he did the whole slash a couple of times.  This is one time incompetent Pac-12 officials favored us...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/5/2022 at 12:52 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

Hmmm… I remember Washington getting penalized on that play for taking a bow, not for a throat slash. 

Maybe he did both?

Or maybe I was so upset about the unjustice of the call I subconsciously minimized the offense?

Yes. I was there. It was the Zen bow that negated that sack and led to a TD for Arizona.

• Thanks 1

Yes and no.  It is how close you are to the opposing team and if you are facing the opposing bench or your own.

• Thanks 1