NJDuck

Canzano: Oregon coach Dan Lanning not Interested in Auburn Opening

I agree, Lanning is staying at Oregon.  He’s just getting started here in Eugene.

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Don't believe the rumors...

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Canzano - "I can tell you whoever reported 'mutual' interest didn’t bother to check with Lanning or his agent. I did. Lanning has zero interest."

• Thumbs Up 1

Auburn is a toxic dumpster fire anyways. IMHO, Harsin was set up to fail from his first day on the job.

• Thumbs Up 1

What Auburn wants and what they need are two different things. Their biggest booster, Jimmy Rane, wants to have a great deal of control because he is the one funding all of the buyouts. In some strange way, I get where he’s coming from. 

However, Auburn needs a head coach who can cater to his ego while simultaneously telling him to keep his nose out of team affairs. In order to do that they need to hire a Saban-like coach who doesn’t need Auburn as much as they need him. The problem is those guys are hard to come by. Urban Meyer might be the only one out there who is available.

Even if they were to get a very good coach like Hugh Freeze, Kiffin, Lanning, etc. those guys have to win early  like Malzahn did. That bought him a lot of time. The only problem is they have to be in the hunt every year. To their boosters, that means the Iron Bowl should decide who wins the SEC West. That’s a tough task considering the company they keep in that division.

Let’s face it the SEC is a tough place to be and if you are not one of The elites you are going to wallow around at 4 and 4 and never see the light in the tunnel. Money is a big issue along with ego in college football and I don’t see much of that in Lanning and his staff.

My focus, as of now, is our defense and seeing more improvement than we have been getting. We looked below average at Colorado and that my friends will be our Achilles heel if we don’t get it fixed. Our strength should be at linebacker and it definitely is not.

Top 10 by Conference

SEC 4: #1, #5, #8, #9

Pac 3: #6, #7, #10

BIG 10 2: #2, #3

Big 12 1: #4

ACC 0

That minor league about to disband Pac whatever conference has the second most top 10 teams in the country. Lanning is set up for a playoff run every year at UO. He will be financially compensated at SEC rates for his success. He has everything he needs right here to compete for championships. He's not going anywhere.

• Applause 1

On 11/7/2022 at 7:02 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Top 10 by Conference

ACC 0

That minor league about to disband Pac whatever conference has the second most top 10 teams in the country. Lanning is set up for a playoff run every year at UO. He will be financially compensated at SEC rates for his success. He has everything he needs right here to compete for championships. He's not going anywhere.

A snapshot today.  It'll change next week.  

One big reason I think Dan Lanning might be reluctant to leave is that he has a pretty good staff put together right here.  If he were to leave for some place like Auburn (or another team) he'll need to put together another a whole new staff all over again.  He has less risk, career-wise, and more up-side potential in the near term by staying right here.  For now.

THIS.... is why I thought that statement was bunk. It just smacked of a whitewashed statement with no substance. 

Secondly, DL has only been here 9 games with no Head coaching experience at the collegiate level. One would think that he would like to build a resume at a school that doesn't have a built in pressure cooker environment. 

I would give more credence to Dilly going for a HC job as he's got some experience at this level. Also, every OC wants a chance at HC. Dilly would be expected to answer the phone when schools come calling for a HC open position.

Yeah seemed suspicious despite the SI tag.  Sounds like wishful thinking from a fan-boy site.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, I don't believe Dan would leave or stay based on his staff. Success breeds Hungry programs coming to call on your staff. Thats normal and expected. I'm guessing that if Dilly goes, that DL has a nice long list of coaches that would fit his idea of what he's wanting to build here. I don't want Dilly to go but we aren't blind either.

A Heisman hopeful with a 40+ point per game average screams that a lot of schools will be calling. We may get Dilly for another year, but I'm wondering if thats just wishful thinking.

• Applause 1

On 11/7/2022 at 7:02 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Top 10 by Conference

ACC 0

Problem is that 2/3 of the Pac-12's top ten teams right now are going to the B1G in a couple years.

• Thanks 1

When I saw the article stating Lanning had interest in Auburn, I thought there's not a chance of that happening.  It just doesn't seem to match his character to pull up stakes and leave.  I think loyalty is an important trait to him, as well as he pretty much hand picked Oregon as a destination he would go to for numerous reasons.  

In addition, the word has to be out regarding the Auburn coaching postion.  It's a pressure cooker situation, with fans that are short fused, and donors that insist on significant input .  It just seems like a costic situation, and I'd even be surprised if Dillingham would want to be in that situation.  Just look what a little adversity Mari no O is facing at Miami already.  Both schools have significant expectations and a short time table for success.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/7/2022 at 9:27 AM, 1Funduck said:

Also, every OC wants a chance at HC. Dilly would be expected to answer the phone when schools come calling for a HC open position.

Not so sure this is true, maybe, but not necessarily.  

Becoming a HC means you no longer get to focus on just Offense but have to deal with all the little things like keeping your O.C., D.C. and all their assistants on the same page, dealing with player issues, recruiting duties, tough decisions relating to almost every facet of day-to-day operations, dealing with media a lot more than an O.C. has to, and so on ... Not to mention the one person who shoulders the blame for almost anything negative a team experiences.  

Another write up debunking the the rumor with Auburn.

247SPORTS.COM

This week's latest on Oregon, Auburn, Ole Miss, Tulane and more.

If the Auburn fans on SDS aren’t mentioning it then it’s probably not a decent rumor. They all seem to be focused on 3 coaches. Prime, Freeze and Kiffin. However, if DL continues to have success here then he will be courted by every SEC team who needs a new coach. Look for a team like Florida to be after him in the next couple of years if Napier doesn’t at least win the SEC East.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

On 11/7/2022 at 12:31 PM, noDucknewby said:

Yeah seemed suspicious despite the SI tag.  Sounds like wishful thinking from a fan-boy site.

Yeah, that's what I thought when I saw the head line, "Making the Case for Dan Lanning and Auburn. There were then articles "making the case for Lane Kiffin..." and several others who are not going to Auburn. Dan Lanning is smart, that is the main reason he's not going to Auburn.

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

On 11/7/2022 at 12:32 PM, OhioDuck said:

"making the case for Lane Kiffin..."

I doubt Kiffin would want the Auburn job... Auburn is in way worse of a place than Ole Miss and Ole Miss is his program at this point. Why leave a program that is on the accent for him for a program that is a complete mess? 

Well... money is a reason... but I'm sure Ole Miss will be competitive to hold onto him. 

If Lanning thought the UCLA atmosphere was rocking, he’s going to love it when the fuskies come to town.

• Like 1

DL's coaching style is very much stay focused and keep working.  He's personable but he doesn't need his players to worship him to be effective.  His football IQ is off the charts and he sees all aspects of the game working in concert.  He is absolutely built for the NFL but he hasn't been a coordinator at that level so he has to prove it prove it at the CFB level.

We will eventually lose DL but I seriously doubt it will be to another college team. 

As for KD I agree that he wants to be a head coach some where but I think it would need to be a good opportunity to get him to jump.  Auburn is a trap as long as Georgia and Alabama are recruiting like they are.  

At some point this year the coaches contracts will come up for negotiation and I would expect salaries to significantly increase across the board.  I'm sure the AD has started those conversations with agents but the University needs the numbers from the PAC12 media rights to commit to contract numbers.  Another key detail will be the playoff expansion and how the shares will work for bowl payouts in the conference.

Once the media deal drops then the AD will probably begin pushing offers across the table and coaches will decide to stay or shop it.  I think there will be bonus numbers in those contracts based on bowl payouts that could be sizeable. 

Either way I would expect DL to get a significant raise with lots of bonus opportunities and a sizeable increase to his coordinators/coaches/staff salaries. 

Keep in the back of your mind that Oregon is going to regress next year barring some major transfer portal acquisitions.  The really hard work for the coaches will be the next few years as they have to build off what they've recruited and bring that product to the field.  I definitely think they are up for the challenge. 

• Applause 1

Maybe in a couple years DL hands the keys to KD.

On 11/7/2022 at 2:28 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

Keep in the back of your mind that Oregon is going to regress next year barring some major transfer portal acquisitions.

I agree with this as long as Bo leaves. I feel the likelihood of that happing is about 90%. But, if somehow we can beg him (or NIL him) into another year. I think year two could be another forward step towards a championship. Most position groups will be better. Many worry about the OL. But, there is a lot of really good young O-linemen who have been getting significant playing time this year. The drop-off in that group may not be that pronounced. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/7/2022 at 3:00 PM, DUCati855 said:

Most position groups will be better.

Here is a partial list of seniors:

DJ Johnson (LB)

Bennett Williams (DB)

Bo Nix (the program lists him as a Sr)

Chase Cota (WR)

Popo Aumavae (DT)

Ryan Walk (OL)

TJ Bass (OL)

Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu (OL)

Alex Forsyth (OL)

Cam McCormick (TE)

Players we are likely to lose to the draft:

Noah Sewell (LB)

Christian Gonzalez (DB)

Those are some serious playmakers on that list.  We could see some of the names next year Popo, Noah and Gonzo but I wouldn't count on it.

On a hopeful note Oregon currently has 27 players that came in from the transfer portal.  I feel confidant we will get some serious talent that wants to come play for this program next year.

Edited by Duck Fan 76

I would heavily lean towards they Do want to be HC. Football at the Power 5 level is a full time job and then some. I can't see anyone wanting to move through the ranks from 'Volunteer' all the way to OC and not want to have the shot at seeing if you 'Have It'. Not to mention the pay is another digit to the salary. That's life changing right there. 

Getting your own guys and strategizing your scheme has got to be juice that flows through these guys veins. They think differently than most. They are A type personality's running at 100%. Its the mentality of the game. Its not lackadaisical the way they do things if they are successful. 

On 11/7/2022 at 5:37 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

Maybe in a couple years DL hands the keys to KD.

From Lanning's press conference last night, the impression I got from what he said, he's here to stay for a long time.

• Thumbs Up 1