FishDuck Article

Garbage Time Reps for Back-Ups Don’t Matter

If you've got "it," you'll play meaningful minutes.  If you don't...

FISHDUCK.COM

Some of Oregon's back-ups got a chance to see the field against Colorado this last Saturday, and offensively, they didn't look good...

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Good article, David. I think Jahlil Florence is another Freshman who has done well when in games. He has made some mistakes but appears to learn from them and did very well in many situations. I think the future is good for him with the team.

Whenever a back-up gets into a game, they need to show their best and leave an impression on the coaches. Opportunities are not always around the corner. If you don't show up, even in garbage time, the impression is that player will not do well in a real game situation. I see TT in that situation.

• Thumbs Up 1

Isn't this team 85% underclassmen? There is a lot of young talent playing. If Ducks were loaded with upperclassmen would the same narrative be true? 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nice article. I think they go out and bring in another solid transfer senior QB and let him and Moore battle it out. I'd like to see Butterfield get some snaps but we may be past the point in the schedule that allows 4th qtr back up minutes.

It is unfortunate, but even the fellows on the ESPN Playoff show spoke of how you need, "style points," of which really means, "bury your opponent with far more points than is needed to win the game."  Oregon is in a beauty contest now, and needs to pile up as many points as possible.

Developing talent in these last 4-5 games may have to take a back-seat to looking dominant.  Good points David...

Jordan James by J3P.jpg

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/9/2022 at 5:42 AM, Log Haulin said:

Isn't this team 85% underclassmen? There is a lot of young talent playing. If Ducks were loaded with upperclassmen would the same narrative be true? 

A lot of that young talent is seeing the field in meaningful game reps not just the end of the game. So they are getting and earning their reps. Those garbage time minutes are really a reward for those who have worked hard or are "prove it" minutes where those players aren't learning so much but proving they belong on the field. 

So the narrative around those minutes are about learning is really an old one that doesn't hold true. 

Simply put... if you can't see the field as a player during meaningful snaps you are either very young and still developing... or you'll probably never see the field during meaningful snaps because the coaching staff will go to the transfer portal to find someone to fill that spot right away next season. There are opportunities for growth and the true freshman are certainly not doomed but the way the roster and game is being managed is all about getting results now. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

As DL said at the beginning of the season -"If you're good enough to play you will play regardless of age or class"

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/9/2022 at 7:40 AM, Charles Fischer said:

It is unfortunate, but even the fellows on the ESPN Playoff show spoke of how you need, "style points," of which really means, "bury your opponent with far more points than is needed to win the game."  Oregon is in a beauty contest now, and needs to pile up as many points as possible.

Developing talent in these last 4-5 games may have to take a back-seat to looking dominant.  Good points David...

Jordan James by J3P.jpg

This would be a great weekend to pile up the points.

• Thumbs Up 2

Tough for a backup QB to get any time but garbage time or if an injury to the starting QB.

The rest of the players can see playing time at anytime as needed. It would be nice to see a backup QB get a full quarter worth of playing time with most or at least a decent amount of the starters.

On 11/9/2022 at 7:40 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Jordan James by J3P.jpg

At the same time, don't get a starter injured late in a blowout, just for style points...there is a balance there somewhere I suppose

• Thumbs Up 2

Good insight David, and I agree.  I doubt Nix comes back, but he could have a monster year and Moore could have that one year to grow and learn, and perhaps get more "garbage" minutes, and perform well--hopefully.  Thompson was a 5 star too...highest ranked QB in Duck history?  Moore will top that, and hopefully...he looks the part.  Truth is, Thompson hasn't--yet. 

So it could be an assumption to say Moore would win the back up spot if Nix returned, or if Nix goes pro, that Moore becomes the first true freshman starter at Oregon in...forever?  (Day 1 starter that is...Herbert was like week 5 or 6 I recall?)

I think the coaches are also giving a player like Kilohana a chance to show what they can do and to maybe better position themselves in the transfer portal. A player like Kilohana could also just stay a special teams player.  He must be showing some heart in practice and deserves the touches, these opportunities are earned.

I would also say the coaches know they are putting players in a tough situation with the 2's, but who is going to rise up to the challenge? Ski racing has the similar situation, new racers start in the back of the pack. The course is terrible, but if you truly have it, you will keep rising up until you ski a clean course. Some say it isn't fair, and they quit.

These players are fighting to play first team minutes, and the garbage time is a test. That is what is so troubling about Ty, he seems to be waiting for his shot at 1st team playing time. That may not happen based on how he is attacking, or not attacking the garbage time. Every moment is a test, life isn't a rehearsal!

Like it or not, everything we do is judged and provides a basis for future decisions. It always blows me away when I hear the yeah but excuses. I was a 5* just waiting for my turn, there isn't any waiting around for a turn in a competitive situation. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Haasenritter was the only bright spot - he usually is - when the backups come in.  To me, he epitomizes the statement made by RB Coach Locklyn "Effort don't take no talent."  Not to say the young man isn't talented, because I think he is - but more than just about anyone else (certainly of the backups) he gives it the effort. Very glad to see David make mention of him and very hopeful Kilohanna stays around to get his shot as a starter.  He's a lot of fun to watch run the ball.

• Go Ducks! 1

Nice article, David. Count me among those at the start of the year who were clamoring for more chances to see either Thompson or Butterfield on the field in the second half of games. I'm over that now. Watching Thompson come in for mop-up duty has become painful to watch. There's something about his demeanor and body language--on the sidelines and in the games--that appears to be 180 degrees different that Bo's. Nix appears to be supremely confident, relaxed and in charge; Thompson...

On the general subject of back-up QBs getting playing time when a game is out of reach, I guess what I was hoping for this year would be what we saw at the end of the Cal game. That kid, Kai Millner, came in to the game and really showed what appeared to me to be a Division 1 skillset. I realize that there's a different approach to what plays you call when you're waaaay behind versus when you're waaaaay ahead. Beyond that, though, Millner showed that he clearly had a handle on their offense. I haven't seen that yet from Thompson.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 11/9/2022 at 10:07 AM, WiseKwacker said:

Nice article, David. (yes)

Millner showed that he clearly had a handle on their offense. I haven't seen that yet from Thompson.

That's the disconcerting part - we haven't seen anything yet from Ty.  The sack he took last weekend was a blot against the O-line more than just a "safe play".  I'd hoped he would have had more grit and pride in his team then to let that happen needlessly.

Edited by Mic

David, thanks, good article. Generated some good comments and thoughts from the Forum members.

My thoughts on the TT subject are a bit mixed. Ty, i dont feel, has forgotten how to play football. He simply may not know to play football in Dilly's system. I try to remind myself that he is a true freshmen in this system. As is JB. Even experienced NFL QB's struggle in new systems.

The athletic ability, the arm strength

and competitiveness are still there. As many of the experienced coaches, on this Forum know, the lightbulb comes on at different times for different players.

Hopefully, these young men don't get discouraged. It is on them to earn their playing time. However there is nothing to be discouraged about in losing out to Bo Nix. He came in with 30 plus games experience and was deep in the learning curve.

I admire all the players who work hard for months to just get a few reps in a game.

GO DUCKS! Kick some husky tail..

• Applause 1

On 11/9/2022 at 10:25 AM, Mic said:

That's the disconcerting part - we haven't seen anything yet from Ty.  The sack he took last weekend was a blot against the O-line more than just a "safe play".  I'd hoped he would have had more grit and pride in his team then to let that happen needlessly.

What sack?

Game Stats

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/9/2022 at 12:31 PM, Charles Fischer said:

What sack?

Game Stats

I guess he was a runner? It sure looked like a sack to me... 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/9/2022 at 10:07 AM, WiseKwacker said:

On the general subject of back-up QBs getting playing time when a game is out of reach, I guess what I was hoping for this year would be what we saw at the end of the Cal game. That kid, Kai Millner, came in to the game and really showed what appeared to me to be a Division 1 skillset. I realize that there's a different approach to what plays you call when you're waaaay behind versus when you're waaaaay ahead. Beyond that, though, Millner showed that he clearly had a handle on their offense. I haven't seen that yet from Thompson.

That's a great example of Millner proving he belongs on the field. He has the ability and is showing out in the limited reps he had. Did he learn a few things during these garbage time reps? Yes, absolutely but those reps were more than anything else about him proving his ability. 

Here are the numbers by class:

Senior - 17  (12 transfers)

Junior - 15  (4 transfers)

RS Sophomore - 1 (Josh Delgado, WR)

Sophomore - 41 (9 transfers)

RS Freshman - 24  (2 transfers)

Freshman - 28

image.thumb.png.75e379fd639efa44a4af18ad0d4b4277.png

It's a pretty young team but we are definitely going to lose some playmakers to the NFL and end of eligibility.  One important point is look at how many of those seniors are transfers, 70%.

Oregon has a next man up mentality and next years roster will still be very talented and with a few true freshman impact makers and the transfer portal I'm sure they will fill the holes.  We are however likely to regress at QB as Bo is playing at an absolute elite level and that has serious impact in games as QB is THE most important position on the offense.

Here is the breakdown of seniors by position

Pos Tot Srs Percent
DB 27 2 7%
DE 3 0 0%
DL 9 1 11%
DT 4 1 25%
ILB 9 1 11%
OLB 8 1 13%
LS 2 1 50%
OL 18 4 22%
QB 5 1 20%
RB 11 0 0%
TE 8 1 13%
WR 15 3 20%
K 3 0 0%
P 3 1 33%

The offensive starters we are going to lose are:

Bo Nix, QB

Chase Cota, WR

T.J. Bass, LT

Alex Forsyth, Ctr

Ryan Walk, RG

Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu, RT

Karsten Battles, LS

Barry Adams, Punter

The defensive starters:

Jordan Riley, NT

DJ Johnson, Edge

Bennett Williams, DB

There is a distinct possibility of Noah Sewell and Christian Gonzales going early in the draft as well.  

For the O-line the #2s replacing the 4 seniors are 2 freshmen a sophomore and a junior.  So the O-line will get younger with only Dawson Jaramillo stepping into a starting role as a senior.  They will be young but very talented.

Edited by Duck Fan 76
  • Great post! 2

On 11/9/2022 at 1:21 PM, David Marsh said:

That's a great example of Millner proving he belongs on the field. He has the ability and is showing out in the limited reps he had. Did he learn a few things during these garbage time reps? Yes, absolutely but those reps were more than anything else about him proving his ability. 

David,

You NAILED IT!  They lost the game, nothing to prove but he came in and lead the team.  He made positive plays for his guys to build on, for the future.  No wasted moments, like every snap, was game experience for the future.  Thanks for the perspective.

On 11/9/2022 at 1:41 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

For the O-line the #2s replacing the 4 seniors are 2 freshmen a sophomore and a junior.  So the O-line will get younger with only Dawson Jaramillo stepping into a starting role as a senior.  They will be young but very talented.

I fully expect Lanning and Klemm to dive into the transfer portal to get an offensive linemen or two as well. There will certainly be talent in the portal Oregon can get that will be better than what they have in reserve right now. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/9/2022 at 3:00 PM, David Marsh said:

There will certainly be talent in the portal Oregon can get that will be better than what they have in reserve right now. 

As we've been discussing at length in the forum, the biggest question for next year is the QB position.  I agree we will fill in the holes on the line.  Bo's abilities to run, throw and make reads are absolutely integral to every play either directly or by forcing the defense to limit their aggressiveness.  Oregon needs an exceptional QB helming this offense for the offense to do what it does.  

• Go Ducks! 1

On 11/9/2022 at 12:31 PM, Charles Fischer said:

What sack?

Game Stats

I went back and watched the game film and he was definitely tackled behind the line of scrimmage.  I guess it was ruled as a "loss on a run" instead?  But if so, then shouldn't Bo's (sack) have been ruled the same?  Must be some serious grey-areas here in how sacks get counted.

I have to say I agree with David Marsh - it looked like a sack to me.  Happy to be wrong!