FishDuck Article

Oregon Football: The Curious Case of Tyler Shough

Good luck, Tyler Shough. If you haven’t already heard, the Oregon Ducks‘ quarterback announced he will enter the NCAA transfer portal after starting all seven games of last year’s shortened football season due to the COVID-19 pandemic. I have mixed feelings about the redshirt sophomore’s early departure from Eugene. Shough’s rollercoaster performance was puzzling, dazzling at times but pockmarked with ...

Read the full article here...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Good article. 

The timing of Tyler Shough’s transfer surprised many of us. His date with stardom at Oregon was short lived. I thought both our offense and defense started to unravel during the UCLA game. So many variables led to the Ducks sporadic play during the shortened season. 

I am optimistic that 2021 is a better year in so many ways.

You said it all in the last statement

"Perhaps Shough saw the writing on the wall and thought it was better to move on. I don’t know, but wherever he goes, I wish him luck.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

This just reminds me in so many ways of the time when Darron Thomas left before his senior year. He didn’t have the transfer portal available back then, so he chose to declare for the NFL.

Eithe way, the supposed front runner left because he saw he would not be able to beat out an uber-talented newcomer. (MM then ?? now)

While I wish TS all the best in his future, I think this bodes well for the Ducks at the QB position.  Whoever gets the starting job will have effectively beat out one of the top 3 QBs in the PAC12 for 2020.

9 minutes ago, PittDuck said:

This just reminds me in so many ways of the time when Darron Thomas left before his senior year.

Great comparison, PittDuck, as it is true.  And Jordan....another great article--thanks!

Mr. FishDuck

I think Tyler is the poster boy for letting all the themes get in the way of playing the game. When we see the greats lace up they always seem to be having fun. I'm afraid Tyler got in his own way. Play with controlled abandon, have fun, enjoy the moment. Tyler took the team on his back too many times, let your playmakers make the plays, simply put the ball in their hands and watch them make TD's.

Edited by Old Geezer

27 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

Great comparison, PittDuck, as it is true.  And Jordan....another great article--thanks!

Interesting take and some say Bellotti did the same with Chip ready to take over. Seems like the Oregon way when there is somebody better, move on. 

Both the these situations led to some pretty good times for Oregon. While you hate to see a guy replaced, with this perspective maybe it is the best thing that can happen for Oregon. 

I do hope it works out better for Tyler than it did for DT. Tyler needs to find a situation where he can start over and be mentored better. I have a feeling, like with DT, the world is full of tough competition and it won't get easier. Neither of these guys has the pension Bellotti had to fall back on.

Tyler was the epitome of the college scholar-athlete. He was an extremely hard worker and well-liked and looked up to by his teammates.

He has a great arm, he’s a very good runner and he’s a hard nose competitor.

So what happened?  I think he was poorly coached as was Justin.

There seems to be too much emphasis on recruiting versus COACHING!

It’s OK for a 4th or 5th string player to transfer, but when a Starter leaves there is substantial damage done to the future of the program.

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Coach Bowden said:

but when a Starter leaves there is substantial damage done to the future of the program.

Fortunately, the damage to the program from Shough leaving hasn't been seen yet. I'm hoping that the scenario of Tyler and the program both moving on for the better comes about. 

16 minutes ago, 30Duck said:

Fortunately, the damage to the program from Shough leaving hasn't been seen yet. I'm hoping that the scenario of Tyler and the program both moving on for the better comes about. 

I also think we are seeing this happen to multiple positions as the talent level rises. How are you going to keep Justin Flowe off the field? What if JTT signs on and wants to play TE? When the talent level rises, expectations increase and some just walk away. 

The receiver position is especially ripe for this happening. We have a lot of WR's and only a few are going to get the rock. We will see TE's and WR's walk away and look for an opportunity to play. The competition is going to be extreme, unlike anything we have seen in the past.

The transfer portal offers a different opportunity than in the past. I hope they all turn out positive and this option is something which benefits the student athlete. I do think staying with your decision, and competing is the best lesson a guy can make longterm. I also know things aren't always the way you thought when you signed up for something. The transfer portal is a way for the student athlete to have more control, a good thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Coach Bowden said:

Tyler was the epitome of the college scholar-athlete. He was an extremely hard worker and well-liked and looked up to by his teammates.

He has a great arm, he’s a very good runner and he’s a hard nose competitor.

So what happened?  I think he was poorly coached as was Justin.

There seems to be too much emphasis on recruiting versus COACHING!

It’s OK for a 4th or 5th string player to transfer, but when a Starter leaves there is substantial damage done to the future of the program.

Go Ducks!

Yep, that about sum's it up correctly. Please note that some schools can do great recruiting and great coaching. Oregon can do great recruiting . . . . . . . . 

• Like 2

In today's college football, QBs are gonna leave. The better the prospect, the faster the trigger it seems. While all different situations, Oregon is hardly unique (some that immediately pop to mind: JT Daniels, Joe Burrow, Justin Fields, Jalen Hurts, even the UW might have liked to keep Jake Haener around a bit longer). Even the likes of Alabama, tOSU, and Georgia haven't been able to keep everyone happy.

It probably was NOT the best plan to invite a replay of a QB 1A and a QB 1B for the offense into 2021. Maybe the "two QB system" made some sense in 2020 and maybe it didn't? However, I'd say it absolutely makes NO sense to possibly run a repeat in 2021. 

There doesn't appear to be the same need for "QB insurance" in 2021 as in 2020 that brought in a grad transfer in the first place, and there now appears to be a natural QB progressions set in place from 2021 through 2024 (with several Brown/Thompson/Butterfield/Ashford permutations).

The QB room looks ordered - and areas for competition established over a reasonably expected time frame. It also makes for a slightly more appealing situation for one QB commit in 2022.

Obviously, ever program would love to have about six 5 and 4 star QBs where no one worries if they play, and everyone is happy to stick around to the end to just compete, with no internal staff/locker room/fan disharmony, but that seems increasingly unrealistic.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Any great coaching would have tried to help Tyler settle down and like the one poster said just have fun. I'm as shocked as anyone else about Tyler. I would have to believe it's a 3 way race between Brown , Butterfield and our 5 star future Heisman National Championship QB from Arizona. Kind of funny both Tyler and Thompson are from Arizona. Great stuff and thank you.

Based upon the supportive atmosphere frequently mentioned by recruits, I would suggest that dealing with young athletes' emotions and their approach to performance is a real strength of MC and the rest of the coaching staff.  I know from personal experience that some athletes are harder and more critical of themselves than anyone can deal with. 

Regarding (once again) "coaching up" the players...these are talented coaches who have won everywhere they've been...have been coaching for years...and know how to get the most out of the team.  Without inside knowledge of team operations it is arrogant for us to criticize that aspect of coaching.  But heck...I guess that's the job of fans.  😉

Now in-game play selection and management...that is a horse of a different color......

The article that goes with this tweet is only available with a subscription but Wilner's point is clear. He didn't think Oregon was going to win the North with Shough , or without him. 

Interesting views on TS. the staff and Oregon Football. Opinions, theories, hypotheses and SWAGS.

Damage? Will there be any damage at all to total wins for 2021? Or, will there be more nefarious damage to the underpinnings of Ducks football.

I expect, given a spring and full season, that the show goes on with a new conductor, or several of them taking the helm.

I'm donning my lemon and lime sunglasses.

11 hours ago, Mudslide said:

Based upon the supportive atmosphere frequently mentioned by recruits, I would suggest that dealing with young athletes' emotions and their approach to performance is a real strength of MC and the rest of the coaching staff.  I know from personal experience that some athletes are harder and more critical of themselves than anyone can deal with. 

Regarding (once again) "coaching up" the players...these are talented coaches who have won everywhere they've been...have been coaching for years...and know how to get the most out of the team.  Without inside knowledge of team operations it is arrogant for us to criticize that aspect of coaching.  But heck...I guess that's the job of fans.  😉

Now in-game play selection and management...that is a horse of a different color......

I gotta agree with Mud on Cristobal being good with managing the emotions of young men. It’s one of Mario’s strengths and one that we desperately needed after Helfrich lost the locker room. If you ask former players to contrast Chip and Helf that will be the number one answer, guys wanted to play for Chip and showing up for Helf was a whole different story. 
I think we’ve seen a few instances of the team failing to show up for Mario, but other than Arizona 2018 they’ve battled every game. That’s a sign that the players care for the coach and are motivated. The ol’ run through a brick wall cliche. 

This was my first season of attempting to grade every play of every game. A time consuming effort, but with work from home and with everything shut down I figured this would be an interesting endeavor. I have some familiarity with the concept from my days of being an intern, what seems like an eternity ago. But I wasn’t there to grade, I was there to cut so the actual football people could see hours of footage in minutes. A lot more difficult when you only have the broadcast angles. I’m still a stats guy, but this the curious case of Mr. Shough is the perfect example of where stats fall short. 

Shough did play slightly worse as the season went on, but the thing is... he was always playing bad. The difference was difficulty of opponent, the advantages of a novel offense, and just plain luck. Combine those things with a loss of confidence and you have a statistically great QB who didn’t look like those statistics. Even when everything was rolling I can’t say Shough was great. He’s missing too many tools to be a consistently good QB in this offense. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Wish the kid the best but we will be better off without him. For those that say he wasn’t coached up well...

He lead the pac-12 in almost every stat, if that’s not being coached up well then I don’t know what is. He just dint have the it factor period! Again we will be way better without him. 
IMO butterfield will be next to transfer. 2021 will be AB to start and TY Thompson as back up. AB will mentor Ty at the same time to prep him for 2022 start. Perfect situation. 

1 hour ago, RatherBe said:

Combine those things with a loss of confidence and you have a statistically great QB who didn’t look like those statistics. He’s missing too many tools to be a consistently good QB in this offense. 

I hope he gains those tools elsewhere, but I agree with this assessment. The problem with some of these highly rated kids is they may not want to hear about their weaknesses, or those around him may not be able to see them.

I hope he does and the Chris Boucher article would be a good one for any athlete to read to better understand what it takes to make it.