FishDuck Article

People are Pretty Selfish: Should I Continue the OBD Forum?

Speaking as a reader of many posts here, very much a fan of this community: Charles, totally understand…and thank you for keeping this space available to all of us.  Go Ducks

• Thanks 1

Understandable Charles. Do what you need to keep from going crazy. I so appreciate this forum. It is such a good place for me to interact with duck fans in a place where there are not a lot of them. 

Thanks for all you do!

• Thanks 1

Saying thank you Charles, is not enough.  Respecting you should be easy for anyone. And thank you.

• Thanks 1

Much respect, Charles.  This forum has been my morning coffee companion since it began.  The folks here are overwhelmingly good people who care about the Ducks and honor your rules.  The good far outweighs the bad.  Of that I'm certain. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you and please continue one of the few forums that actually controls negative posters.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Charles!  This is the only site I visit regularly and the only one I post on.  I am a fan of the Ducks, but they are obviously not my number one team, which I think speaks volumes about what a great site this is!   I can’t stand the Utah sites even more now that I have seen what a site with rules and decorum can be.

So many great members that know football and help me get perspective I wouldn’t otherwise have.  I am grateful that a Ute can participate and enjoy what you have created.

By a lucky coincidence I have a family trip to San Diego after Christmas, so I bought Holiday Bowl tickets in October just for fun!  Will be cheering loudly for the Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 8:28 AM, Goutes18 said:

I can’t stand the Utah sites even more now that I have seen what a site with rules and decorum can be.

That is the biggest compliment ever, and thanks so much.  I've really enjoyed the great Utah and Georgia fans who chime in here, as all of us together make it a richer experience.

Mr. FishDuck

Advice is cheap; that’s why it’s so rarely taken. While the automated response system undoubtedly was long over do, I’d nevertheless reserve, on rare occasions, the private email option for those instances where your instincts tell you this poster is worth a bit more nudging. Just a thought.

Glad you used the article to vent and not vacate!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Charles for continuing with the project. Again, my apologies for copying and pasting a quote from the board last week that had a foul-mouth acronym. I truly did not think about it until I got your email. That won't happen again.

Have a great weekend.

• Thanks 1

On 12/9/2022 at 4:17 PM, Desert Duck said:

Thanks Charles for continuing with the project. Again, my apologies for copying and pasting a quote from the board last week that had a foul-mouth acronym. I truly did not think about it until I got your email. That won't happen again.

Have a great weekend.

Thanks for being a good sport, and I'd like to think the new "Word Filter" software might make that easier on all of us.

Mr. FishDuck

Charles… sorry it may seem I’m late to the party. However,  I appreciate your efforts and the opinions of the other contributors to this site… the old saying “to know the good, you must experience the bad”… other sites are dominated by “blow hards” that try to impress by their using a “zero sum game” approach to belittle and be condescending to other contributors… I got tired and left those sites out of boredom… then I found this forum… civil, informative, passionate with the belief to make our daily discourse enriching… and I know it is only because of your diligence and vision. 

thanks Charles… thanks to all the contributors that play by the rules…. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2022 at 7:02 AM, CVDuck said:

thanks to all the contributors that play by the rules…. 

I cannot agree more--a big shout-out to those who post great thoughts and follow our rules to make it so FUN to read things here.

I actually had someone email me as he was very mad about the lack of human touch toward those who violated rules. (When the new system is begun)  I explained that I really don't want to deal with all the fighting and insults with so many of the emails I receive, hence why notifying people of violations will be automated.  (Moderation, the process of deciding what is a violation is still done by humans)

He responded with a flurry of insults and his anger continued about my new upcoming policy.  So let me see if I got this right...."you are mad and emailed me your wrath because I no longer wanted to receive emails where people are mad and email me their wrath?"

I can't make this stuff up.

This is how it feels sometimes, and I am not the Dragon...

dragon1.jpg

• Yikes! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Dear Charles 

I am a many year appreciator of all things FishDuck. This is my first post to the forum.

I support you 100%.  Keep up the good work and automate troll-extraction so that you can live your best life with your family, and so that the rest of us can enjoy the rewards of all the work you and every other volunteer has put in to making all things fishduck (ATF - as I know how much y’all love acronyms!) the most enjoyable football resource for any team in any sport anywhere on this lovely planet.

The ‘lost friends’ aren’t friends worth having if they can’t take feedback when they cross the line.

Rest assured there are more and better friends waiting to join the family than the jackwagons who attack you.

Thanks and cheers to you, your family, the non-trolls and all the volunteers who make this happen every day.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/8/2022 at 5:54 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

@Charles Fischer, You buried the lede. 😂 

Or maybe you were building suspense. Either way, I am glad I read your article to the end. 

I thought for sure you were throwing in the towel, but instead, you invented the perfect solution!

As a software engineer, I love automation to eliminate unnecessary resistance. And unnecessary resistance is exactly how I would describe those selfish posts.

Let me know if I can help our beloved web developer in Sheffield! 

And thank you for maintaining the best sports forum on the web!! 🙏

As DuckFan93 alluded to in their post . . . it's indeed time for Mr. FishDuck to unleash the internet 'robocops', and let them do the dirty work!

Thanks, Charles . . . I don't post often, but as a Duck alum, a long-time Duck fan, and appreciator of human decency (esp. in a time of metastatic incivility) . . . thank you, thank you, thank you for this experiment, and for your efforts in creating a safe space to talk, learn about, and ponder all things Duck-y!  You are much appreciated, sir.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1

The Forum with Decorum. 

Anytime anybody enforces rules there will be issues at some point. I look back at little league baseball games as a kid and the arguments from parents sitting in the the stands with the teenage volunteer umpires.

Adults acting less mature than their children, and many times embarrassing their kids who are just trying to play a game.

Winning an argument does not mean you are a winner in most circumstances. 

Minimizing the headaches and time that it takes to ascertain whether there is a rules infraction is perfectly fine. We all have 24 hours in a day and actually have other worries in life to deal with. 

Charles, thank you, and I hope the frustration of losing connections with people that were friends subsides. 

• Thanks 1