Ktmguy2018

I Consider Bo a Duck for Life!

Bo Nix will be a Duck always in my book!  This guy is special.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Whether he’s in Eugene next year or not, Bo Nix is working hard to help Oregon recruit the best talent...

Now THAT is a team player. Good job Bo!

• Thumbs Up 1

Seems like he really enjoys playing in Eugene, as compared to the unfair expectations and pressure heaped on him at Auburn.

OTOH, there's the perspective that he's extorting the Ducks with his lack of decision on whether to return for another season.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

UCLA landed QB Collin Schlee in the transfer portal on Saturday. What does that mean for Oregon when it comes to Dante Moore?

Edited by jrw

Bo Nix, the transfer QB from Auburn who caused so many of us so much angst when he first came here - but later proved to be the best thing that could have happened to Oregon football for 2022 - has proven once again what a fine young man he is.  But then, I'm prejudiced because the young man is open about his faith in God and never forgets to remind his followers what's ultimately the most important thing in Life.  Leave the program better than he found it?  How often do we hear that?  Certainly not from all those transfers going out the door.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I believe that Bo is demonstrating the maturity that happens in young men.  He's been around the college football game and has grown as a man and leader.

He is removed from the brash high schooler who's head is clouded with his star rating and various people telling him he's gonna be the next great thing.

The reality of injuries, that other players are as good/better than you has brought about a sense of reality and a better grounding in who he is.  

I think "generally speaking", the grad transfer is that type of person, a Travis Dye or Michael Penix, Jr. 

The younger players who transfer may still be in that "I'm better than they believe I am" mentality and may find that the next new situation is more of the same.

On 12/18/2022 at 1:10 PM, cartm25 said:

“Bo Nix working hard to recruit for Oregon despite uncertain future.”

Yet, ironically his indecision may be the strongest force impeding the Ducks’ recruiting.

Not having clarity makes it difficult to focus recruiting efforts.

I disagree.

After watching Bo’s pre game bowl interview, I got the impression that he really is uncertain on whether to throw his name in the hat for the NFL draft or return to Oregon for one more year. He obviously has really enjoyed playing in Eugene for Dan Lanning and is a DUCK for life in my book. As Joey Harrington and Anthony Newman pointed out, if he had already made up his mind to play in the NFL then it makes no sense to play in the Holiday Bowl and risk injury. 

Nix seems like a thoughtful young man and I wish him the best, regardless of the decision he makes. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/18/2022 at 2:09 PM, Ktmguy2018 said:

He is removed from the brash high schooler who's head is clouded with his star rating and various people telling him he's gonna be the next great thing.

This. 

Hopefully Moore and other top recruits listen to what Nix can share about being a former 5-star recruit and what they should and should not consider as they are making their decision, even if they choose to join another program. Listen to someone who has been there before. 

He can also tell Moore how Oregon is still better than Chip Kelly’s best UCLA team!!! LOL. 

In the end I consider all of them Ducks, transfers in, out all the way to our 9 year Duck TE. We have no idea what these young men are going through in their decisions.

I have been critical of Travis Dye, but wow, what a Duck he was and always will be. Also a guy like Colt Lyerla, who really understands fully the deamons he is fighting.

They all came to Oregon with amazing dreams, and learned from the experience. We benefited, and for that I am grateful, maybe it is just the season we are in, I don't know.

I do know most if not all deserve the benefit of the doubt. It is easy to be the critic, and accept the cheers for our cynicism. It isn't easy to put the effort and risk with one's best effort and fail, well down all our Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to go ahead and throw out there I would agree with those suggesting Bo has earned the right to make the decision when he feels ready. It's gonna be before the draft; and, the portal will be open again around spring ball I believe.

I am pretty sure the staff isn't without a back-up plan -- if he leaves Oregon will be a favorable QB spot that I bet somebody with upside in the portal will wait a bit for.

I think I'm reading some suggestions DM not making a decision is holding things up for the Ducks; but, it doesn't have to do so.

One, I think DM's decision probably has more to do with Dillingham leaving and I think that is just how the cookie crumbles.

Two, if you are gonna take a huge run at top 10 national kids, this sort of thing is pretty much always on the table until LOI day (part of recruiting top kids).

If DM's interest in Oregon was primarily because he felt his competition would be Ty and a walk-on, that's really outside what the staff can control (or at least I hope they aren't making starting promises to HS QBs). Bo staying for one more year was always an option and if so Oregon is still a great spot for a young QB to join this cycle.

Nothing holding back a young kid coming in and getting his feet wet as a frosh and giving the coaching staff confidence they are good to go for the next several seasons. It will be interesting if DM goes elsewhere, will the staff pivot and try to see if it can get a HS commit elsewhere to delay signing early to consider Oregon (a couple sites have floated some current HS QB names).

Personally, I would be a bit shocked if Oregon didn't bring in a transfer QB if Bo leaves (regardless of DM). The level of portal player might be impacted by DM's decision; but, having a QB room of Ty, a true freshman, and a walk-on to me isn't how programs aspiring to be top 10 level programs roll (even when trying to land a top 3 QB).

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thumbs Up 1

I disagree.  Bo's decision should not impact high schoolers at all...except at QB, of which is understandable. Even then--we have other portal options if Bo leaves.  Things have changed dramatically in the past with these kind of things concerning top players, and Wednesday morning is a long ways away considering the attention span of an 17-18 year old. 

I am quite sure Dano is working on backup options, such as the visit by Hudson Card last weekend.  And if the connection between Dilly and Moore was that strong--I cannot blame Moore for reconsidering things.  And Dilly leaving is not Dano's fault, although people want to blame the coaches--even after all the work put in to secure the verbal.

But all the other positions on a team?  Bo is here or not for one year, and you are coming to Oregon for the program, for what your position coach will be teaching you, and the life lessons.

Mr. FishDuck

As I wrote my post above--the announcement about Bo came out, so that should help clear the air.  We will be fine...

Mr. FishDuck