Pennsylvania Duck

Austin Novosad: Duck's Plan B at Quarterback?

Rivals Info...

N.RIVALS.COM

Austin Novosad - 2023 4 Star Pro style quarterback for Dripping Springs (Dripping Springs, TX) on Rivals.com

• Thumbs Up 1

I've heard rumors of this as well. He is the Baylor class headliner and Top 100 kid. If we can flip him great - but I don't want to make a big NIL spend on him. 

Rather throw that money at Hicks and Proctor - unless the spend on Proctor has gone over the value. We are in the dead period of visits but the phones are still being worked. Anything it seems can happen still.

Portal we need Edge ready dudes bad and if we don't get Hick we need a impact DL - all that is a bigger spend need then a QB.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 4

Not sure a pro style QB fits the Ducks offensive philosophy. Your also not going to find a guy in the portal to come ride the pine.

TT and a few walk-on's probably aren't a great option if Nix gets banged up. TT has great skills but his head hasn't seemed to catch up. Maybe that changes this off season.

I want to hold out hope TT can turn the corner but watching him lead the O is pretty disheartening. We need the QB whisperer. Maybe Will Stein will be that guy.

• Yikes! 1
  • Applause 1

On 12/19/2022 at 4:18 PM, Log Haulin said:

You're also not going to find a guy in the portal to come ride the pine.

I agree. I never bought into the notion that Dante Moore was expecting to start as a freshman at a top-15 program, so I was not surprised when he mentioned Nix returning did not affect his decision. As for top-caliber portal players, it is a different situation. They absolutely should expect to start wherever they go. If they wanted to sit on the bench they would probably have never hit the portal.

Oregon is not getting Clemson's DJU or Texas's Hudson Card because Bo Nix is 100% going to start next year. Nix is projected to be in contention for the Heisman trophy. It would be unwise, in my opinion, for these type of guys to ride the pine for a year. If they don't get better offers I suppose it's a possibility, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/19/2022 at 2:11 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:
Rivals Info...
N.RIVALS.COM

Austin Novosad - 2023 4 Star Pro style quarterback for Dripping Springs (Dripping Springs, TX) on Rivals.com

6'3", 180.  Definitely needs some beefing up in the weight room.  But he's just a kid so that can change. 

On 12/19/2022 at 4:18 PM, Log Haulin said:

I want to hold out hope TT can turn the corner but watching him lead the O is pretty disheartening. We need the QB whisperer. Maybe Will Stein will be that guy.

What I am hoping is that TT hasn't already begun to doubt himself. That seems to be what happened to Tyler Shough. 

Hopefully Will Stein can turn his head around and make him a leader of Oregon men.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/19/2022 at 8:29 PM, Jon Sousa said:

What I am hoping is that TT hasn't already begun to doubt himself. That seems to be what happened to Tyler Shough. 

Hopefully Will Stein can turn his head around and make him a leader of Oregon men.

I think Shough doubted MC’s system. It didn’t fit his style. At TTU he played pretty good after a year and a half of being injured. He threw for 435 yards in his last game against Oklahoma in an OT win. TT might stick around to see how this new system fits his style of play. It’s tough learning 3 new offenses in 3 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

IIRC, Card has 3 years to play 2.  If he has to sit behind Nix for a year, I am not sure that is a deal breaker. 

If you could sit behind a guy like Nix and not lose eligibility, then likely get the keys to one of the best offenses in college football for 2 years, I would think he would at least consider it maybe?  

Card can start next season for TCU or Oregon State. No reason for him to sit as a backup for a year.

• Thumbs Up 1

Duck Texas commits recruiting Novosad...

On 12/20/2022 at 10:06 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Card can start next season for TCU or Oregon State. No reason for him to sit as a backup for a year.

I agree with you. I think it is hard asking Card (or any ready to play QB) to ride the bench for year. A highly rated high school QB may be more appropriate at this point. If it doesn't work out, then the portal is available next year.

Lots of options, not worried. The key will be is Stein a better qb developer, recruiter than Dilly was. Dilly took a 5* talent and got the most out of him. 

What we need with Stein is an ability to develop young qb's. Get us the next Herbert, or Brock Purdy. Find and develop talent, don't worry so much about the stars. We want somebody with the magic and mojo, not just the measurables.

Stars get us all excited come signing day, but 4 of our 13 five star recruits turned out to be pretty underwhelming. We are going to need some guys with a rough outline for success that our coaches can make great too!

• Like 1

Quite a bit of chatter on Twitter regarding Austin Novosad...

Austin Novosad Gives Will Stein First Big Recruiting Win at Oregon

Stein played an integral role in the Ducks flipping Novosad from Baylor just days after losing Dante Moore to UCLA.

The pressure was on Will Stein from the moment he was hired at Oregon on Dec. 7.

A good read how Stein went about securing Novosad. Be sure to watch the included video of Novosad at Elite 11.

He is shown actually throwing side by side with Dante Moore. You can compare the throwing motions. Recommended read/watch.

I'm thrilled with the pull, especially at the 11th hour. Granted, in my mind I see Moore as Caleb Williams and Novosad as Brock Purdy, 2 different caliber of player.  However, given the defense being built and the skill talent around him, Novosad may end up looking more like Eli Manning than Purdy. Either one is fine with me though as we'll have the talent to be a consistent playoff contender...

• Thumbs Up 1