Pennsylvania Duck

Quaaack! Austin Novosad is a Duck

BREAKING: Ducks flip 4-star QB Austin Novasad from Baylor Bears

The Oregon Ducks made a splash in the recruiting world on Wednesday, pulling off a flip that gets their

quarterback room back in order after losing 5-star QB Dante Moore to the UCLA Bruins earlier in the week.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

A massive win for Dan Lanning and Oregon OC Will Stein. The Ducks have pulled off the flip and landed former Baylor commit...

Little salve for sure. QB room will be a great asset to the Duck in 23. How much longer till fall?

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing I would LOVE to see happen is for fans to accept that this is the new order of college football.  I really have problems when we as fans start criticizing a player like Moore when he flips.  Things like "He wasn't that good anyway" or "If he's not going to be loyal and keep his commitment he doesn't deserve to be a Duck" or "We'll just get someone better."  

But then we turn around and praise the qualities and wisdom of a player like Novasad when that player flips to the Ducks.  Novasad just did to Baylor what Moore did to the Ducks.

This is simply how college football works now, which is much closer to how the real world works.  If I've accepted a job offer at Microsoft and Google swoops in at the last second and offers me $10,000 more, or the long-term opportunities are much better at Google, there's a pretty good chance I'm ditching Microsoft even though I "committed" to them.  

As a fan, I would love to see kids commit and keep their commitment, but that's just not how things work now.  They're going to switch commitments, transfer, etc., just like their school is going to change staff, try to recruit an even better player at their position, tell them they need to think about leaving, etc.  No "loyalty" on either side any more, so when a kid flips, we can be disappointed/elated, but IMHO it doesn't mean fans should criticize a kid because he didn't sign with their team.

• Great post! 3
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 10
  • Like 2

Donte Moore is a bum. My ex girlfriend is fat and... 

I will root for UCLA, USC, Chip Kelly and Donte Moore to get beaten into the ground by everyone  Hope Donte breaks his pinky toe on the door jamb in the middle of the night and the toilet overflows.

• Haha 2

247Sports National Analyst and Lone Star State native Gabe Brooks likes this pickup for the Ducks.

“Good height and length with big hands and a lean, athletic frame,” Brooks wrote in his scouting report. “Should be able to add considerable mass. Physical upside is a plus. Excels delivering from the pocket over the middle in the short-to-intermediate passing game. Has shown impressive ball placement consistency to multiple levels. Particularly dangerous hitting moving targets on slants and other inward-breaking routes. Keeps the ball fairly high with a relatively overheard release. Ball gets out quickly enough. Generates encouraging throw power on the run. Good athletic profile that includes experience in the 110-meter hurdles, 300-meter hurdles, and triple jump. Also owns solid combine testing data. Enormous production across three full varsity seasons. Averaged about 275 passing yards per game across nearly three dozen contests from 2020-22.

247SPORTS.COM

One of the top quarterbacks in the country is headed to Eugene.

• Thumbs Up 2

Now that is a very smart young adult. 

On 12/21/2022 at 6:23 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

This is simply how college football works now, which is much closer to how the real world works

Next, fans will be offered a better cable package and free beer if they flip. And the fan portal? Crazy! 😁

On 12/21/2022 at 6:23 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

If I've accepted a job offer at Microsoft and Google swoops in at the last second and offers me $10,000 more, or the long-term opportunities are much better at Google, there's a pretty good chance I'm ditching Microsoft even though I "committed" to them.  

Dang...and I flipped from Verizon to T-Mobile for a Google Pixel 7.  I should've demanded more NIL: Nickels or I'm Leaving 

• Haha 1

I think the NIL & Portal for players is great! They now have some freedom that the NCAA prevented them to have for all too long. Capitalism strong! 

Wow.  Coach Lanning said that Will Stein has been high on Austin and has known him since the 8th grade.

• Thumbs Up 1

I gotta be honest, until recently I hadn't even heard of Austin Novosad (or much about Will Stein either).  That said, might this not be one of the true sleeper pickup of the entire Signing Day.  One moment O thinks they have Moore.  Then the drama begins to unfold with Moore contributing much to it. The next moment Moore flips.

Meanwhile, after our own O.C. "flips" for his own H.C. gig, Lanning finds us Will Stein who, as it happens, knows this kid...

I know we have Nix (thank God!) and I know we have this other kid (TT) waiting in the wings (for now).  But this kid from from Dripping Springs, Texas (I love that name for a hometown) might just be one of the biggest surprises of the whole Signing Day extravaganza.  He wasn't on anybody's radar at Oregon.  Until Will Stein came along.  And now he's a Duck.  Nice.

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 2