Charles Fischer

More LOIs and Portal Transfers Coming? A HALF Roster Turnover at Oregon?

I am not reporting this as fact, but passing along the thoughts of others...that are wild.

Mr. FishDuck

That is truly wild. Man for sure has a vision of what he wants. I’d like to know what the common denominator is for what he doesn’t like about the roster. 

How much of this on on the D side I wonder?

On 12/27/2022 at 6:57 PM, jrw said:

That is truly wild. Man for sure has a vision of what he wants. I’d like to know what the common denominator is for what he doesn’t like about the roster. 

I would like to say this is an abnormal year but the truth is I haven't got a clue and no one really does. 

From what I can make of it, it seems like Lanning is doing a mix of things. One thing is having honest conversations with players who probably won't see the field for any number of reasons and those players are pushed into the portal to make room for new recruits. 

Two, rebalancing the roster. Defenses during the Cristobal era used 4 linebackers. Lanning only uses two on a regular basis. He has too many linebackers on the roster and many don't fit the mold. 

FISHDUCK.COM

Dan Lanning's defense this season did not live up to his standard, and it wasn't even close. Oregon's defense...

And this goes beyond just linebackers but to edge players as well. 

Three, the culture change. Players have had a chance now to get a feel for the culture Lanning is instilling in the team. Some players don't want to buy into the culture and have left as a result. 

Seven McGee and Byron Cardwrll left for this reason and I suspect it is also at least part of the reason why Justin Flowe and Dont'e Thornton have entered the portal as well. 

I see players leaving every year for reasons one and three but probably not so much for two moving forward. 

Lanning's defense will persist after his DCs eventually leave. And I think Stein is here for a good few years as OC so I don't see factor two coming into play for the offense either... Granted I feel Lanning would just look for an OC who fits his offensive roster. 

I would think these are growing pains for a team and roster but I don't feel fully confident on that hypothesis.

• Thumbs Up 1

Trust me.  There is a FishDuck article coming up about the upcoming...

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/27/2022 at 8:09 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Trust me.

Seriously, you're claiming to be an attorney now!

• Haha 5

So, if Riley bolts for the NFL, who knows what will happen to the men of charact... er, Troy who signed this last week?

There's another portal coming up, right?

Considering that Lanning and crew added ~30 (prep+portal) last year and projected ~40 total this year, the transformation to “his guys” is almost complete.

Coach said coming in that playing for a championship quality team is not easy and requires a real dedication to the WORK that is required to achieve that goal. Getting the right guys on the bus is a good to great process. In fact, not one of his recruits or transfers have looked for the door out.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I am taking this to mean that there will be quite a few players transferring out after the bowl game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2022 at 3:34 AM, Flyin Vee said:

Considering that Lanning and crew added ~30 (prep+portal) last year and projected ~40 total this year, the transformation to “his guys” is almost complete.

When Cristobal left last year, a third of our recruiting class bailed, and Lanning fought to save what he could.  We signed 17, not almost 30 and you can see that right here.  The portal was vital, but not all will be here for 2023...

Josh Connerly Jr. was a good one!

Josh Conerly Jr., Oregon, Offensive Tackle

Mr. FishDuck

Are not the Ducks expecting 1-3 2023 commitments during the U.S. Army Bowl, and the Under Armor All-American game?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/27/2022 at 7:56 PM, David Marsh said:

Seven McGee and Byron Cardwrll left for this reason and I suspect it is also at least part of the reason why Justin Flowe and Dont'e Thornton have entered the portal as well.

Seven McGee, Byron Cardwell and Justin Flowe weren't seeing the field as much as they would like, and that is why they decided to transfer, IMO.  

Dont'e Thornton probably wants to be the #1 WR and with Franklin that wasn't going to happen at Oregon.  Of all of the transfers, Dont'e is the one that I was most bummed about.  His physical abilities are off the charts and, once he puts it all together, he'll be impossible to stop.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2022 at 9:42 AM, Notalot said:

Are not the Ducks expecting 1-3 2023 commitments during the U.S. Army Bowl, and the Under Armor All-American game?

Yes, we have had a number of posts about them like right here and others.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/28/2022 at 10:16 AM, OregonDucks said:

Seven McGee, Byron Cardwell and Justin Flowe weren't seeing the field as much as they would like, and that is why they decided to transfer, IMO.  

I heard that both McGee and Cardwrll didn't like the new coaching staff and coupled with getting fewer snaps led them out the door. 

On 12/28/2022 at 11:32 AM, David Marsh said:

I heard that both McGee and Cardwrll didn't like the new coaching staff and coupled with getting fewer snaps led them out the door. 

McGee will never be happy anywhere. He wasn't in high school... wasn't at Oregon, and will not be at Jackson State. He simply isn't as good as he thinks he is.

Cardwell didn't like that he had to work his way back into meaningful reps. He was the MAN previously and felt he deserved his role back without earning his role back.

• Thumbs Up 1

WWW.BLACKSHOEDIARIES.COM

ALL NAME TEAM BABY

If ever a transfer target should have ended up in Eugene. And I thought Wesley Mallard was an all-time name.

• Haha 1