Haywarduck

What Went Wrong?

The question I had, last season, was what went wrong, on the players side of things? Jordon said he lost weight, and others just seemed out of shape. Did the training program get lost in the pandemic, or was there just no leadership among the team of players? This then leads to the question of what can be done to make sure the team doesn't get outdone, buy lesser athletes?

From players getting beat on the DL to injuries that seemed to be partly from a lack of conditioning, I wonder just how serious the players were about the 2020 season? I don't have any first hand information, please share if you do, but it seemed like the players weren't in the best condition going into the 2020 season. When you are getting pushed around and just beat by lesser talent, something is wrong about how you are getting prepared.

What was the conditioning program last offseason, and what is it now? Did the Ducks sit around in the Duck lounge, more than the weight room before last season? What is being done this season to ensure we don't see our Ducks muddle through the early season and have injuries pop up too often?

I can agree the coaches may not of had enough time to get the players clicking with the scheme they were trying to instill. What I wonder about was the dedication, that edge, elite programs have when the season starts. Do these young Ducks have what it takes to lead the talent level to the heights many expect?

I think we can all agree Noah mainly needs to bring his energy and talents under control to reach his potential. Do too many of the other Ducks need a kick in the feathers, or was last season just an anomaly?

Who on the Oregon Program is going to "show them otherwise"

From what I read the players left town or whatever and when the UO got the okay to start practicing for conference play the Ducks were behind the 8 ball in conditioning.

I never took much of anything last year serious. It was basically an exhibition season IMO. Yeah they won the P12 albeit by default sorta. Got steamrolled in the Fiesta. Got the big payday though. Too many changes in personnel and not enough time to implement those changes with players that had to be rushed back in shape or were 1st time starters without big game experience. A total cluster conundrum. 

As a Duck fan it was frustrating to watch. The team rarely clicked for more than a few series at a time. It was like putting a pig on lipstick. 

Edited by GODUCKS15

Well, something that has made an impact on me was what Yogi Roth pointed out in my article on Sunday, of how, since Oregon was on the quarter system--when the Pac-12 season was originally declared over or at least delayed....the players went home.  I believe that had a much bigger impact in the condition of the players during the season than I gave thought to during and after the season. It put us at quite a disadvantage to our Pac-12 foes...

We were a mess in terms of leadership on the team, with new people finding their voice or others drowning them out.  And frankly....I still don't know what happened to the defensive line with all those seniors and experienced returning players.  The newbie offensive line out-performed the experienced defensive line on a relative basis IMHO.

This year will tell us a ton about the players, the conditioning system and the coaching going forward.  This time next year will give us a much better projection of the Oregon football program, while this year (I am realizing) had too much muddied water.

No. 71 Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu Red arrow and No. 89 DJ Johnson Green arrow_ESPN Video.jpg

And Haywarduck....thanks for starting a great pondering topic.  Everyone jump into the discussion and please start new topics too!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Yes. Many things went wrong by the end of the year. Let's look ahead to 2021 with hope lest we suffer paralysis from analysis. Go Ducks.

Justin Herbert, the NFL ROY, ran out of eligibility.

BTW, Oregon’s weight room beats Alabama by a long shot...now we need to beat them on the field.

57 minutes ago, Drake said:

Justin Herbert, the NFL ROY, ran out of eligibility.

BTW, Oregon’s weight room beats Alabama by a long shot...now we need to beat them on the field.

My fear exactly, 'our weight room is better than your weight room' so we should be able to beat you! That isn't how the real world works, it is the kid with a big dream, and the will to put a tough plan into action that wins. 

The video of Najee makes the statement, 'the SEC thinks the west coast is soft,' he went to Alabama to prove them wrong, 'show them otherwise.' Najee isn't just sitting in the beautiful weight room posing. The guy is putting in the work to win a National Title.

I wonder, after last year, are the Ducks ready to do the same. Are these young guns ready to lead the program, or just enjoy all that they have with the Oregon Football Program? This question hasn't been answered for me yet.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Charles Fischer said:

the players went home.  I believe that had a much bigger impact in the condition of the players during the season than I gave thought to during and after the season. It put us at quite a disadvantage to our Pac-12 foes...

I think the players going home was an extremely important factor. They lost in person access to the S&C staff, the equipment, oversight, motivation, nutrition. The conditioning difference was clearly evident in some players. I did notice that many of the OL stayed in Eugene over the summer, but much of the DL went home. Noah Sewell arrived on campus and hit the weights this summer, while Mase Funa and Austin Faoliu had pregnant partners at home. Not saying one is right and one isn’t, just reminding everyone that these are human beings with lives outside of football. 

I still have great faith in Aaron Feld and his squad of muscled S&C staff. We’ve seen their results previously. 2020 was an aberration on multiple fronts as far as I’m concerned, and 2021 will hopefully prove that. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I just don’t know.  I can say this...it was a team effort for sure.  

I didn’t see anybody out there, coaches included, that fumed like they did after they (lol we?-all of a sudden I’m distancing myself, ha ha ha ) lost to Auburn last year.   

I want to know if they are junk yard dogs.  I want to know how ferocious they are.  I want to see ruthless effort, punishing contact, and an aura that scares even the seasoned elite. Who is this team right now? Monikers mean nothing to me. 

Effort, commitment, fearlessness, and an effort to put it all in the line-second by second.  A willingness to make mistakes, learn quickly from them, then punish those in their way.  That matters to me.  I don’t see that in this team right now.  In fact, I’m getting that sick feeling most had when the Snake showed up in Eugene.  Until I see unbridled intensity, I sense we’re being conned.

I better see some exhausted coaches and players all year.  Like there’s no tomorrow.  

Edited by Mike West
Wrong set of words
  • Thumbs Up 1

On top of conditioning, how many times did we see our defensive unit still looking at the sideline for a play call, while the opposing offense was snapping the ball? I remember this even happened as we were defending inside of our own 10 yard line.

And was it ever settled if we were, in fact, lining-up too far back from the line of scrimmage? Avalos was even asked about this in a Zoom presser, but his answer was not very satisfying.

Sorry I'm not being more specific here but, this unease about our alignments combined with the perceived lack of conditioning leaves me scratching my head.

Thankfully, we have a loaded roster that I know will be better prepared next season. There is a lot to be excited about including some solid additions to the staff. I agree with Mike West, the future is now let's get at it...

10 hours ago, Mike West said:

Until I see unbridled intensity, I sense we’re being conned.

I agree that this is the key to sport (unbridled intensity)........particularly football. For a specific example consider that this is the reason a guy like Brady Breeze excelled over what seemed like other more physically gifted players.

As for being conned, I can see your point but don't think it to be the literal case. However, much improvement can and should be made regarding the preparedness and intensity of the coaching staff. 

On another note regarding the conditioning. I have contemplated whether Feld and company are overly concerned with getting jacked and building muscle mass and are not concerned enough with flexibility and elongation.

Too much muscle mass can lead to slowing and some immobility. I observed several plays last year, on our defensive side, where players looked stiff and a bit slow relative to the opposing offensive skill player. 

Edited by C J

10 hours ago, Mike West said:

Effort, commitment, fearlessness, and an effort to put it all in the line-second by second.  A willingness to make mistakes, learn quickly from them, then punish those in their way.  That matters to me.  I don’t see that in this team right now.  In fact, I’m getting that sick feeling most had when the Snake showed up in Eugene.  Until I see unbridled intensity, I sense we’re being conned.

I better see some exhausted coaches and players all year.  Like there’s no tomorrow.  

That was my take and I will be looking for that intensity as the season progresses.

Against sc it seemed like the Ducks were sharks that smelled blood in the water. Other times the team looked more like they were waiting for somebody else to do the tough work and then they could go in for the kill. The problem was too few were putting in that extra effort needed to bring down the winning trophy.

3 hours ago, Haywarduck said:

That was my take and I will be looking for that intensity as the season progresses.

This "intensity" angle is fascinating. Intensity was the hallmark of Ronnie Lee and the Kamikaze Kids, they didn't win championships, but they revolutionized college basketball. Chip's football teams, the highwater mark for Oregon football didn't scream intensity, they were not, "junkyard dogs". For all of his attributes, Marcus was not fiery.

In their biggest games, where more was needed than the blur, Chip's Ducks did not, "bring it!". Whether Dyer was down or not wouldn't be a question if Pleasant had "brought it". Cardale Jones and Ezekiel Elliott brought it for Ohio State. John Boyett always brought it for the Ducks, like Brady Breeze. Troy Dye definitely brought it. Let's hope a lot of players bring it in 2021.