kirklandduck

Lanning Finds His New OL Coach

247SPORTS.COM

The University of Oregon football program has hired its new offensive line coach and the new coach is a familiar name to the Ducks.Oregon head football coach Dan Lanning

Keeping with the same hiring rhythm: younger/hungry coach with past relationship.  Spent the last year in the NFL coaching defensive linemen despite being an offensive lineman player/coach in college.  It'll be interesting to see how he does.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 1

Boy...I don't know.  I'm going to close my eyes, take short breaths, gulp and say to Lanning...

giphy.gif

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 3

Mr. FishDuck

More about his background in this article....

GODUCKS.COM

Oregon football head coach Dan Lanning officially announced A'lique Terry as the Ducks' new offensive line coach on Tuesday.

A'lique Terry, former Wake Forest OL, named assistant coach at Power 5  program - Saturday Road

Mr. FishDuck

Players seem to love him. 

Kind of a head scratcher. I’d think that with UO’s coaches budget coupled with the recent track record of Lanning’s assistants moving on to better gigs, he’d be able to bring in someone with a better resume.

Then again, I thought the same thing with the running back coach who has turned into one of the best coaches on the staff. For now I’ll consider this a classic what do I know move.

• Thumbs Up 2

These parts of the article sounds promising to me:...

...has experience as a player, competing at the Power 5 level on the offensive line.

...His relationships with our current and past student-athletes are unmatched, and his reputation as a teacher precedes him....

As a graduate assistant with the Ducks in 2019, Terry worked with an Oregon offensive line that included a trio of all-Americans in Penei Sewell, Shane Lemieux and Calvin Throckmorton. Sewell was awarded the Outland Trophy as the top interior lineman in the country, and joined Marcus Mariota and LaMichael James as the only unanimous all-Americans in program history at the time.

Terry helped the Ducks to a 12-2 overall record, a Pac-12 Championship and a Rose Bowl victory in 2019, and the offensive line was one of four finalists for the Joe Moore Award as the nation's most outstanding offensive line unit. Oregon also dominated the Pac-12 Offensive Lineman of the Week award with eight winners in 12 weeks, including a league-high four honors for Sewell and two each for Lemieux and Throckmorton.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'll take an optimistic view here. The hiring of Terry was not just dribble-leaked out. It was blast announced by Oregon with incredible praise from former Ducks, mostly on NFL rosters, that were coached by him on a day to day basis: Sewell, Hanson, Lemeiux, Throck, Big Sala and Forsythe. Technique and hard work were the recurring themes along with player development and relationships.

Lanning wanted to hire him as an OL assistant last year before the Vikings offered him a DL assistant job. Perhaps Lanning saw him as heir apparent to Klemm a year ago, anticipating that Klemm would be a short timer. 

One can lament that there is little loyalty in the coaching ranks to any one program. Here is an example of someone with some Oregon roots that decided to come back 'home' to coach. Say what you might about Cristobal, he knew how to coach O-line, and Terry was a part of that success. 

In Lanning we trust.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 things to know about Oregon Ducks' newest OL coach A'lique Terry

Speculation is now over, with the Ducks announcing that they will be hiring A’lique Terry to be the new offensive line coach, bringing him back from the NFL ranks where he was presently on the Minnesota Vikings coaching staff.

The news seemed to be very well received by both fans and players, both past and present. But why was everyone so excited by the announcement? Once you learn a little bit about Terry, it’s not hard to understand.

Here are five things that you need to know about the newest member of Oregon’s coaching staff:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

A lof of Duck fans already know a bit about A’lique Terry. If you don’t, though, learn about Oregon’s newest OL coach.

On 2/14/2023 at 2:12 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Kind of a head scratcher. I’d think that with UO’s coaches budget coupled with the recent track record of Lanning’s assistants moving on to better gigs, he’d be able to bring in someone with a better resume.

Then again, I thought the same thing with the running back coach who has turned into one of the best coaches on the staff. For now I’ll consider this a classic what do I know move.

Agree, but.... Oregon makes resumes, they don't hire resumes.

Also does seem like a similar kind of guy, much like our coach you mention, Locklyn. Carlos was in charge of high school relations in 2020, now running our show with RB's, and killing it.

If Lanning is going to create some loyalty it will be with these guys. 

• Applause 1

Social Media Buzz: Oregon players react to hiring of OL coach A'lique Terry

Terry is familiar with Eugene, as he served as a graduate assistant for the Ducks on Mario Cristobal’s staff with focus on the offensive line. Terry was also the offensive line coach for the Hawaii Warriors in 2021.

The news got Oregon Twitter buzzing, with several players, both current and former, tweeting out their support for the hire, and letting it be known how excited they are that Terry will be coming back to join the Ducks’ coaching staff.

Here are some of the best reactions online:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon players, both past and present, seem to be thrilled with the hiring of A’lique Terry as the new OL coach in Eugene.

I trust the process.  Lanning has a plan and so far it's working.  

How many of us were familiar with all of  DL's original staff hires?  Sure Dillingham, Lupoi and Lorig were familiar names, but had anyone ever heard of Locklyn?  Adrian Klemm had all kinds of question marks and certainly wasn't considered by most a slam-dunk.  Of the the three previously mentioned familiar names I mentioned, two of them have probably underperformed IMHO, yet newcomer Locklyn brings in relative unknowns Irving and Whittington and gives us arguably the best 1-2 punch since James/Barner (Verdell/Dye duo amazing but CJ couldn't stay healthy).  

Not just being a fan-boy here, DL definitely has room for game day improvement but so far I'd say his ability to assemble a talented staff is as good or better than anyone we've ever had.

Looking forward to seeing what Stein, Mehringer, Hampton and Terry can do this year.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 2/14/2023 at 2:43 PM, Annie said:

These parts of the article sounds promising to me:...

...has experience as a player, competing at the Power 5 level on the offensive line.

...His relationships with our current and past student-athletes are unmatched, and his reputation as a teacher precedes him....

I'm not sure what to make of this hire to  be honest.  DL has earned our respect in these decisions so right now I'm in the camp of "He must see something here".  

What stands out to me is how YOUNG AT is for a coach.  I know DL likes youth and energy but this is younger than I expected.

As for the players loving the hire that does speak well of AT's personality and that is a good sign for recruiting but lest we forget Mario was essentially "picked" by the players to be HC.  

I will be extremely interested in seeing what AT has to say in interviews about how he's going to approach building the 2023 OL into a national leading group.  If he has a good plan and can execute it then he certainly has the pieces to be successful.  Coaching an NFL defensive line is actually I think a nice advantage because he spent a year focusing on how to beat great OL play... so he's primed to teach what really works for the OL.

Edited by Duck Fan 76
  • Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

I have to agree with Duck Fan. Having coached on the other side of the line should be a nice advantage. I also like the fact that there are past players who are behind him.

And his youth as far as recruiting should also be an advantage.

• Thumbs Up 1

His time in the position is not a lot, but look at what he has done.

4 years playing in a program known for beating you with hard work and technique. Match this mindset with the kind of athletes Oregon can bring in. 

They thought enough of him at Wake to keep him on the staff there after graduation. 

He coached at Oregon under a head coach who is probably a better O-line coach than head coach. Players he coached rave about his preparedness and work ethic. They think this is a special hire.

He was at Hawaii one year before going to the NFL, instead of coming to Oregon to work under Lanning and Klemm. 

That he was thought enough of by the NFL to coach on the D-line where he had no experience as a player or coach might say something about his ability. 

I said a week or so ago that in a few days we were going to be saying, "Ahh...what, who?" and then be saying, "Wow, what a great hire."

Though many of us might be tempted to say we should have gotten someone more experienced, I have a gut feeling we are going to fall in love with this guy quickly. This is a Lanning kind of guy and so far that has proved to be pretty darn good!

• Thumbs Up 2