Jon Joseph

Oregon's Sad and Bad Out-of-Conference (OOC) Scheduling

Rob Mullens makes $980,000.00 dollars a year and the best he can do is schedule the next 6 big-time OOC games versus Texas Tech, Baylor, and Oklahoma State. Three schools that were deemed not worthy of being members of the Pac-12 'Elite Club. Three schools that will not draw 4M eyeballs and will be psyched to beat any Pac-10 team after the Pac-12 told these schools to get lost.

In 2023, Florida plays at Utah. Auburn plays at CAL. Arizona plays the back end of a home-and-home series versus Mississippi State. And Washington State (!) has Wisconsin visiting Pullman. There are numerous Pac-10 versus SEC teams home and home series scheduled over the next decade including Alabama visiting Arizona.

I sent an email to Rob at: athleticdirector@uoregon.edu. I urge all Oregon fans to do the same. It is likely critical over the next six seasons to play teams OOC that are must-watch TV. (I attempted to copy and paste my email to Rob but I do not have the tech ability to do so. I imagine my email will end up in the 'circular file; the waste basket.)

BTW, go to the Oregon Athletics Site; the number of folks reporting to Rob and the all-in salaries for the Athletic Department is staggering. What in the heck do these people do all the live-long day? 

The Associate Commissioner - Communications, a/k/a the Sports Information Director, Jimmy Stanton, makes $160,000.00 plus perks and from what I can see does very little to promote and market Oregon sports. Part of what Dana Altman complained about after the loss to Wisconsin that brought its cheerleaders and band west for an NIT game.

It is survival time. This is the time for salespeople and not the time for order-takers. Maybe these folks should read 'Shoe Dog' or watch the movie 'Air' that is being released today.

• Thumbs Up 3

Could you please tell me what's Rob Mullens contact? I need to tell him that I want an SEC home and home series, preferably against Alabama in 2035-36, I still feel utterly embarassed that we only have Big 12 opponents and possibly two future conference foes (Michigan State and Ohio State) as the P5 home and home series.

I want the SEC, Alabama or Florida would be the best choices!

On 4/5/2023 at 2:46 PM, Thomallister1291 said:

Could you please tell me what's Rob Mullens contact? I need to tell him that I want an SEC home and home series, preferably against Alabama in 2035-36, I still feel utterly embarassed that we only have Big 12 opponents and possibly two future conference foes (Michigan State and Ohio State) as the P5 home and home series.

I want the SEC, Alabama or Florida would be the best choices!

His email address is shown above and his phone number is listed on the Oregon Athletic Department website.

In fairness, Rob had an H+H scheduled with Ohio State, and Ohio State is coming to Autzen in, I believe, 2032.

But the next 6 games look like he spent too much time in Grapevine, Texas. Could not agree more with you that Oregon needs OOC games versus the Power 2. And if Utah can get Florida to come to Utah why not get UF to come to Eugene?

The other teams have to agree to a home and home too though.  You mentioned Miss. St. and Wisconsin those teams are not likely getting a ton of interest from high profile teams, we've played those teams in the past, and I would put those teams on level with the Big 12 schools we have coming up.  I don't really see a difference between Miss. St. and Texas Tech, same thing for Oklahoma St. and Wisconsin.  

In the future we also have Michigan St. and Ohio St. scheduled, so it isn't like we don't have anything on the horizon.  These home and home series are scheduled 10 years or even more in advance, it isn't like this was scheduled 4 years ago.  Sure I would love to see us playing Clemson in a home and home, but when have you ever seen Clemson go on the road out west?   It's especially hard since we don't have the recruiting base to attract those big names to this area, one reason why a team might want to schedule a Bay Area, Arizona, or So Cal team is to get exposure to those recruiting grounds.

I just sent a message to Rob Mullens, hopefully he does see it.

"Hey Mr. Mullens, I may not be a formal member of the University of Oregon but I wanted to let you know about this issue that has been of concern towards the Oregon fanbase.

Over the next 6 years, including this upcoming season, Oregon has scheduled 3 consecutive home-and-home series' against teams from the Big 12, which include Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Baylor, I understand that these opponents shouldn't be underestimated and are great matchups for some people (Baylor has never played Oregon so it could gather interest), but, why haven't you made efforts to schedule teams from more diverse conferences like the SEC and the ACC? There's a huge list of games that will happen like for example California playing Auburn this year, Mississippi State playing both Arizona members of the Pac-12, and a huge list of Pac-12 games involving the Florida Gators, if we want to go even further, the Arizona Wildcats are scheduled to play against the Alabama Crimson Tide and the Virginia Tech Hokies in the 2030's!

I know that you made your best efforts to schedule the three Big 12 teams in our future schedules, but I think there must a decision to be made, they won't gather many viewers especially since they aren't teams belonging to the largest leagues right now (the Big Ten and the SEC), just look at how many people watched our previous 2 games against Ohio State and Georgia, I'm not telling you to outright cancel those 3 home and home series', I'm just telling you to schedule more diverse teams that will indeed bring a lot of attention to TV viewers, as well as visits from both fanbases whether it is to Eugene or the opposing school's city.

If you want to schedule a team that will bring a lot of positive energy and attention to the Ducks, I recommend scheduling the Alabama Crimson Tide, it's a very highly desired matchup that has never happened before and I wish that it happens someday, it should be discussed primarily as a home-and-home series with Alabama AD Greg Byrne, since he's already exclaimed the Tide has moved on from neutral site kickoffs, and if you want to safely schedule that series, it should be around 2035-36, I know it's a long time from now but I think that it should be enough to gather praise from both fan bases and it's currently the best years to schedule a series with the Crimson Tide.

As for the empty spots in 2031 and 2034, I would recommend a series against either Notre Dame or Auburn, as both schools don't have opponents scheduled for the dates when you usually play the P5 OOC games.

I don't know if you will ever see or reply to this but I do hope that you take this into consideration, I'm sure an Oregon vs Alabama series would be neat and everyone will love it!

Yours truly, a young Oregon Ducks fan from Costa Rica."

This is what I wrote to him.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I, and I am convinced, many other Duck fans, have long been dismayed by how many opponents have conveniently been able to back out of H&H agreements, especially the reciprocal trips, which have been been cancelled in the past, once Oregon has already traveled for road games.

There seem to have been series with teams like TAMU that have been completely dropped.

Scrambling to fill such unexpected openings at a later date is a pain in the pa-tookus, to say the least.

TBH, one could get the notion a trip to Autzen is excessively intimidating to a lot of quality opponents.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/5/2023 at 2:57 PM, spartan2785 said:

The other teams have to agree to a home and home too though.  You mentioned Miss. St. and Wisconsin those teams are not likely getting a ton of interest from high profile teams, we've played those teams in the past, and I would put those teams on level with the Big 12 schools we have coming up.  I don't really see a difference between Miss. St. and Texas Tech, same thing for Oklahoma St. and Wisconsin.  

In the future we also have Michigan St. and Ohio St. scheduled, so it isn't like we don't have anything on the horizon.  These home and home series are scheduled 10 years or even more in advance, it isn't like this was scheduled 4 years ago.  Sure I would love to see us playing Clemson in a home and home, but when have you ever seen Clemson go on the road out west?   It's especially hard since we don't have the recruiting base to attract those big names to this area, one reason why a team might want to schedule a Bay Area, Arizona, or So Cal team is to get exposure to those recruiting grounds.

I respectfully demure. If Wazzu can get Wisconsin to come to Pullman and Utah can get Florida to come to SLC and AZ can schedule SEC teams like Bama I find no excuse for the next 6 seasons, critical seasons, of off-the-national focus OOC games. 

The man is making close to $1M a year and the best he can do is schedule one offs 'at UGA' and Auburn  And H+H with 3 B12 teams.

That scheduling is done in advance is no surprise. But scheduling 6 games versus B12 teams when other lesser conference teams are scheduling Power 2 games is in IMO a scheduling no-show at a time Oregon needs to be front and center in national viewership

I more than respect your comment but as Charles so artfully noted in a recent article the Pac-10 is under the microscope for the next 5 to 6 seasons.

I am not giving a guy making close to $1M a year a pass; especially, when 'lesser' conference members are scheduling far better home-and-home series with more note-worthy and watchable opponents.

If Florida, Auburn, Mississippi State, Mississippi and others have scheduled H+H series with Pac-10 teams what is Oregon's excuse for 6 seasons of blah scheduling?

Oregon needs eyeballs on NOW and not a decade from now.

On 4/5/2023 at 4:21 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I respectfully demure. If Wazzu can get Wisconsin to come to Pullman and Utah can get Florida to come to SLC and AZ can schedule SEC teams like Bama I find no excuse for the next 6 seasons, critical seasons, of off-the-national focus OOC games. 

The man is making close to $1M a year and the best he can do is schedule one offs 'at UGA' and Auburn  And H+H with 3 B12 teams.

That scheduling is done in advance is no surprise. But scheduling 6 games versus B12 teams when other lesser conference teams are scheduling Power 2 games is in IMO a scheduling no-show at a time Oregon needs to be front and center in national viewership

I more than respect your comment but as Charles so artfully noted in a recent article the Pac-10 is under the microscope for the next 5 to 6 seasons.

I am not giving a guy making close to $1M a year a pass; especially, when 'lesser' conference members are scheduling far better home-and-home series with more note-worthy and watchable opponents.

If Florida, Auburn, Mississippi State, Mississippi and others have scheduled H+H series with Pac-10 teams what is Oregon's excuse for 6 seasons of blah scheduling?

Oregon needs eyeballs on NOW and not a decade from now.

I really wish Rob Mullens somehow listens to us and schedules Alabama or any unique opponent like Notre Dame...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/5/2023 at 3:21 PM, Jon Joseph said:

As others have mentioned, OOC games are typically scheduled 6+ years in advance and Oregon has had a number of teams cancel on them. 

There aren’t many top teams with national championship aspirations willing to travel to Eugene to play the Oregon Ducks in Autzen stadium. Everyone knows how difficult it is to win at Autzen and Oregon has been one of the top college football teams for the past 10+ years. What’s the benefit to Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, et al? If those teams win their conferences (or even finish as the runner up with only 1 or 2 losses) they are in the college football playoff. Strength of schedule is not as important to the SEC and BIG, the top ACC teams can find quality opponents closer to home and Oregon is not in a recruiting hotbed. 

Why play Oregon when you can play UCLA, Arizona, ASU, Cal or Stanford, with a much better probability of winning and you play in a talent rich area?

There are many things you can criticize Mullins for. I’m not sure this is one of them. 

Plus, have people forgotten the Georgia game already? I’d prefer to wait until the playoffs to play those teams…

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/5/2023 at 11:42 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Rob Mullens makes $980,000.00 dollars a year and the best he can do is schedule the next 6 big-time OOC games versus Texas Tech, Baylor, and Oklahoma State. Three schools that were deemed not worthy of being members of the Pac-12 'Elite Club. Three schools that will not draw 4M eyeballs and will be psyched to beat any Pac-10 team after the Pac-12 told these schools to get lost.

In 2023, Florida plays at Utah. Auburn plays at CAL. Arizona plays the back end of a home-and-home series versus Mississippi State. And Washington State (!) has Wisconsin visiting Pullman. There are numerous Pac-10 versus SEC teams home and home series scheduled over the next decade including Alabama visiting Arizona.

I sent an email to Rob at: athleticdirector@uoregon.edu. I urge all Oregon fans to do the same. It is likely critical over the next six seasons to play teams OOC that are must-watch TV. (I attempted to copy and paste my email to Rob but I do not have the tech ability to do so. I imagine my email will end up in the 'circular file; the waste basket.)

BTW, go to the Oregon Athletics Site; the number of folks reporting to Rob and the all-in salaries for the Athletic Department is staggering. What in the heck do these people do all the live-long day? 

The Associate Commissioner - Communications, a/k/a the Sports Information Director, Jimmy Stanton, makes $160,000.00 plus perks and from what I can see does very little to promote and market Oregon sports. Part of what Dana Altman complained about after the loss to Wisconsin that brought its cheerleaders and band west for an NIT game.

It is survival time. This is the time for salespeople and not the time for order-takers. Maybe these folks should read 'Shoe Dog' or watch the movie 'Air' that is being released today.

Wait a second, I might be wrong, but weren't you against them playing Georgia last year? And then on top of that critical of them also playing BYU in the same season? . 

I really do not see what the big deal is. I have no problem with the out of conference scheduling. Let's be realistic, you can't get the likes of Oklahoma and Ohio State every year. Those teams do have to agree to play the Ducks and it's not always easy to find openings. These things get scheduled years in advance, so before all the summer of 2021 chaos.

Scheduling middling to solid Big 12 programs in not taking the easy road out. Not to mention in three of these years they also play Boise State on top of the schools mentioned above. 

If Mullens schedules the "tough" games then he gets grilled for making the path to the playoff harder, if he doesn't then he gets called a wimp. He's "Damned if you do, damned if you don't."

Hopefully, Michigan State in 2029 and 2030 is good enough for those being critical of Mullens. And, then, alas the Buckeyes in 2032 and 2033.

Edited by Darren Perkins
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 4/5/2023 at 10:41 PM, Darren Perkins said:

Wait a second, I might be wrong, but weren't you against them playing Georgia last year? And then on top of that critical of them also playing BYU in the same season? . 

I really do not see what the big deal is. I have no problem with the out of conference scheduling. Let's be realistic, you can't get the likes of Oklahoma and Ohio State every year. Those teams do have to agree to play the Ducks and it's not always easy to find openings. These things get scheduled years in advance, so before all the summer of 2021 chaos.

Scheduling middling to solid Big 12 programs in not taking the easy road out. Not to mention in three of these years they also play Boise State on top of the schools mentioned above. 

If Mullens schedules the "tough" games then he gets grilled for making the path to the playoff harder, if he doesn't then he gets called a wimp. He's "Damned if you do, damned if you don't."

Hopefully, Michigan State in 2029 and 2030 is good enough for those being critical of Mullens. And, then, alas the Buckeyes in 2032 and 2033.

I was opposed to playing one-off games against UGA last season and playing Auburn one-off in Dallas. I am definitely opposed to playing any program that will not give Oregon a return game in Autzen. And looking at the 2023 and future scheduled games versus the Pac-10 and the Power 2 there is no excuse for not scheduling more impactful games. For goodness' sake, Wisconsin is playing in Pullman in 2023.

I think Mullens getting an H+H with Ohio State was fabulous. Not his fault that COVID canceled the game in Autzen.

I am opposed to H+H games versus B12 teams that equate to just another game on TV. Oregon with these games will not be the 7th most-watched team in the country for the next 3 critical seasons.

Rob Mullens is making @$1M a year, he cannot do better than this.

I appreciate your post but I don't get the love for the job Mullens and his huge Athletic Department is doing to (not) promote Oregon at a critical time in the program's future.

IMO, scheduling like this is the worst. You are scheduling teams that can and are fired up to beat you and teams that do not goose the must-watch on the TV meter. Why not schedule 3 home dogs like UCLA and Michigan, start 3-0, and roll into the playoff?

Either play relevant opponents or schedule hamburgers. Tripping to Lubbock next season is IMO the worst of both worlds. Why not a second game at home versus Fresno or San Diego State? Why not another money-making home game that will likely draw close to the eyeballs that will watch the game played in Lubbock, Texas?

TODAY matters far more than a decade of games from today.

Always respect your posts.

By 2029/30 will the conference exist and where will Oregon be situated? Eyes on the prize matter.

On 4/5/2023 at 7:41 PM, Darren Perkins said:

I am pretty sure the biggest hurdle to scheduling premier OOC games is availability of stellar  opponents. About three years ago Kirby Smart, who dislikes the baby seal clubbings against non power-5 opponents, had the Georgia AD search out quality OOC opponents. They did get 4 or 5 such H and H match-ups signed. One was with Oklahoma, then a big 12 member, shich the SEC made Georgia drop, robbing Dawg fans of the best OOC game for 2021 in Norman OK. The reason for dropping sth games was that the return game in Athens wouldn't take place until 2031 I believe, and tghe SEC wasn't sure that the Sooners would be available for what would become a league game that far out.

Georgia does have a H&H scheduled with UCLA 

On 4/5/2023 at 7:41 PM, Darren Perkins said:

Sorry about the formatting issue and attributing something to Darren Perkins that I submitted. the Game with Oklahoma referenced above would have occurred in 2023. The H&H with UCLA will occur in 2024 and 2025 I believe.

I have posted before that a Pac-12 Georgia fan favorite for a H & H is none other than the Ducks with USC a close second in that regard. The knowledgeable ones want to play in fabled stadiums like Autzen and the L A Coliseum.

On 4/5/2023 at 10:35 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Sorry about the formatting issue and attributing something to Darren Perkins that I submitted. the Game with Oklahoma referenced above would have occurred in 2023. The H&H with UCLA will occur in 2024 and 2025 I believe.

I have posted before that a Pac-12 Georgia fan favorite for a H & H is none other than the Ducks with USC a close second in that regard. The knowledgeable ones want to play in fabled stadiums like Autzen and the L A Coliseum.

I have no doubt that the fans of the big names in the SEC want to play new and exciting opponents, I just don't think the ADs want to play those games unless they think they can win and at that win decisively, plus they want to expose their brand in big cities or big recruiting areas, neither of which Oregon has. 

We've seen the Zona schools play SEC opponents because teams like LSU or Miss St. think they can go in there and win in recruiting grounds that they might be able to raid later (which is what happened).  Same with UCLA or the Bay Area schools.

I just don't think you can convince teams like LSU, Bama, Auburn, Georgia and the like to take that game in Autzen where there is probably a more than 50% chance that they lose, which will hurt their chances of getting into the playoff.  

They'll take a one off in a "neutral" venue (knowing of course that the stadium will be at least 70% friendly), you know as well as I do they would never agree to a game in the Bay Area or in Portland if it had a big enough stadium against Oregon.

Wisconsin playing Wazzu is not a convincing one, nobody thinks about Wisconsin as some notable power, yes they've had some good years, but you don't see them scheduling many notable home and homes.  They've gone on the road in the past to Oregon St., USF, UNLV, so I'm not surprised that they would take a home and home against WSU.  I'll give them credit though their scheduling takes a significant uptick in future years.

Utah facing Florida feels like it might have something to do with Urban Meyer (I could be totally wrong there of course).  

To me the Oklahoma St. and Baylor games are fine, the Tech games are probably ones I wish we had a better opponent, but I just don't know what the circumstance were, did we try to schedule other games?  Did we just get unlucky with other teams already having commitments?  We just don't know. 

It could even be that the athletic department felt burned by A&M and Georgia chickening out and we don't want to schedule games against a conference that has a tough time staying committed to tough games in locations where they actual will face a crowd that has a pulse.

If look at the schedule for 2018 that was a year where we were supposed to play A&M, they canceled, and we couldn't find a suitable replacement we ended up playing Bowling Green, PSU, and San Jose St.  The next year where we supposed to play the return trip, we kind of got lucky in that we got asked to play Auburn in Dallas.  Maybe we just don't trust these SEC schools to honor their commitments against us.

All this said I'm not saying Mullens has done an amazing job, I just think this is one area where I probably give him a pass.  One thing I would like to stop is no more neutral venues east of the Rockies they suck, are unfair, and they don't do a good job in raising our status.

Edited by spartan2785
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/6/2023 at 2:15 AM, spartan2785 said:

I have no doubt that the fans of the big names in the SEC want to play new and exciting opponents, I just don't think the ADs want to play those games unless they think they can win and at that win decisively, plus they want to expose their brand in big cities or big recruiting areas, neither of which Oregon has. 

We've seen the Zona schools play SEC opponents because teams like LSU or Miss St. think they can go in there and win in recruiting grounds that they might be able to raid later (which is what happened).  Same with UCLA or the Bay Area schools.

I just don't think you can convince teams like LSU, Bama, Auburn, Georgia and the like to take that game in Autzen where there is probably a more than 50% chance that they lose, which will hurt their chances of getting into the playoff.  

They'll take a one off in a "neutral" venue (knowing of course that the stadium will be at least 70% friendly), you know as well as I do they would never agree to a game in the Bay Area or in Portland if it had a big enough stadium against Oregon.

Wisconsin playing Wazzu is not a convincing one, nobody thinks about Wisconsin as some notable power, yes they've had some good years, but you don't see them scheduling many notable home and homes.  They've gone on the road in the past to Oregon St., USF, UNLV, so I'm not surprised that they would take a home and home against WSU.  I'll give them credit though their scheduling takes a significant uptick in future years.

Utah facing Florida feels like it might have something to do with Urban Meyer (I could be totally wrong there of course).  

To me the Oklahoma St. and Baylor games are fine, the Tech games are probably ones I wish we had a better opponent, but I just don't know what the circumstance were, did we try to schedule other games?  Did we just get unlucky with other teams already having commitments?  We just don't know. 

It could even be that the athletic department felt burned by A&M and Georgia chickening out and we don't want to schedule games against a conference that has a tough time staying committed to tough games in locations where they actual will face a crowd that has a pulse.

If look at the schedule for 2018 that was a year where we were supposed to play A&M, they canceled, and we couldn't find a suitable replacement we ended up playing Bowling Green, PSU, and San Jose St.  The next year where we supposed to play the return trip, we kind of got lucky in that we got asked to play Auburn in Dallas.  Maybe we just don't trust these SEC schools to honor their commitments against us.

All this said I'm not saying Mullens has done an amazing job, I just think this is one area where I probably give him a pass.  One thing I would like to stop is no more neutral venues east of the Rockies they suck, are unfair, and they don't do a good job in raising our status.

I'm sorry but I am not giving Mullens a pass when lesser schools in our conference manage to schedule better opponents OOC.

I respect your comment but please tell me why this guy is making $1M a year with legions of underlings reporting to him.

Amazing job!  UGA canceled a Home + Home with Oregon and the Ducks played them in a one-off game in Atlanta. Auburn has a H+H series scheduled with CAL. But Oregon had to play Auburn in a one-off game in Dallas,

I think the man with the money he is paid is doing an adequate job at best. When looking at the Athletic Department salaries and the money being wasted I think the man is doing a less than adequate job. 

He did not hire Altman. He screwed up with Slick and for all of his recruiting process Mario was destroying the Oregon brand,

Plus, he has put his hat in the ring for the UGA and A+M AD jobs.

I am respectful of everyone's opinion but what has Mullens done sans PK to improve Oregon's athletics?

I reiterate. Games versus TX Tech, Baylor, and SMU do nothing to raise the Oregon Q rating at a time when this is most needed, 

If USC/UCLA aren't leaving and the Pac 12 isn't "crumbling", nobody is complaining about Texas Tech, Oklahoma St. and Baylor.

When Wisconsin and Florida scheduled WSU and Utah, both teams were not great at the time.  Most teams like to schedule OOC wins.  Very few teams will schedule a H&H with Oregon and expect wins.

2010 Tennessee

2011 LSU

2012 Fresno St.

2013 Tennessee

2014 Michigan St.

2015 Michigan St.

2016 Nebraska

2017 Nebraska

2018 Bowling Green – was supposed to be Texas A&M

2019 Auburn

2020 was supposed to be tOSU

2021 tOSU

2022 Georgia

2023 Texas Tech

2024 Texas Tech

2025 Oklahoma St.

2026 Oklahoma St.

2027 Baylor

2028 Baylor

2029 Michigan St.

2030 Michigan St.

• Thumbs Up 1

Our current OOC schedule was done years ago in an environment where two losses meant you don’t make the four team national championship field. Since no one has gotten through the current PAC-12 conference lineup without a loss, a strong non-conference schedule likely meant not being in contention for the national championship most of the year. 

NOW (next year, really) it makes more sense to schedule a blue blood in non-conference play since you can still win the conference and get in with two (or more) losses. Mullen has done what many of thought he should do in the current environment and given us a non-conference schedule we can sweep.

I’m curious to see how the B1G and SEC handle out of conference schedules going forward.  For now, they have signed contracts years in advance. Before the seismic shift.  

Will the B1G teams have any interest in west coast non-conference games now that they will play at USC and UCLA?

If Ohio State is playing Michigan, Penn State and USC in the same season, would the Buckeyes even want to play a top tier non-conference game?

If Alabama is playing LSU, Georgia and Oklahoma in the same season, would the Tide even want to play a top tier non-conference game?  

Likewise, would the bottom feeders of the B1G and SEC even want a top non-conference game now that they have to play more traditional powers in conference?  

I see a future of Big 12 and ACC teams on the PAC non-conference schedules.  And some ACC teams won’t be available.  FSU plays Florida, Clemson plays South Carolina. Kentucky plays Louisville.  

Edited by Rufus
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 4/5/2023 at 11:15 PM, spartan2785 said:

They'll take a

I can virtually guarantee that Kirby Smart and the Bulldog roster haven't the slightest fear of coming to Autzen to play a football game. While there is always the possibility 

Georgia could lose, were the game scheduled for this year (or any year), Smart would undoubtedly use such statements as that above as bulletin board material and have his team totally dialed in for a game anywhere in the Northwest.

On 4/6/2023 at 2:13 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

I can virtually guarantee that Kirby Smart and the Bulldog roster haven't the slightest fear of coming to Autzen to play a football game. While there is always the possibility 

Georgia could lose, were the game scheduled for this year (or any year), Smart would undoubtedly use such statements as that above as bulletin board material and have his team totally dialed in for a game anywhere in the Northwest.

Oh I have no doubt that Kirby or his players would have no problem coming here, I'm more talking about the ADs, should have clarified that point!  I mean you guys did chicken out before, I know that's under a different AD, but the fact remains that two high profile SEC programs cancelled on us. 

From what I see the SEC has become much better about playing some good to great OOC teams, that's of course great to see, and the 12 team playoff will encourage programs to make those trips.

We've never been afraid to take games in unfavorable conditions, last year's game should never have happened, it was stupid to take a road game with no return trip, that's on Mullens of course, but I bet Georgia wouldn't agree to a neutral site game in San Jose (heck it would probably still be 70% Georgia knowing how you guys travel along with the SEC) against us with no return trip. 

Edited by spartan2785
  • Applause 1

It would be nice if Las Vegas, SF and LA professional teams hosted neutral site games.

• Applause 1

On 4/6/2023 at 2:42 PM, Rufus said:

I’m curious to see how the B1G and SEC handle out of conference schedules going forward.  For now, they have signed contracts years in advance. Before the seismic shift.  

Will the B1G teams have any interest in west coast non-conference games now that they will play at USC and UCLA?

If Ohio State is playing Michigan, Penn State and USC in the same season, would the Buckeyes even want to play a top tier non-conference game?

If Alabama is playing LSU, Georgia and Oklahoma in the same season, would the Tide even want to play a top tier non-conference game?  

Likewise, would the bottom feeders of the B1G and SEC even want a top non-conference game now that they have to play more traditional powers in conference?  

I see a future of Big 12 and ACC teams on the PAC non-conference schedules.  And some ACC teams won’t be available.  FSU plays Florida, Clemson plays South Carolina. Kentucky plays Louisville.  

The ACC is dumping divisions but will stay at 8 conference games. That leaves plenty of inventory if ACC teams want to play 2 P5 OOC games. Notre Dame playing 4 to 6 games every season against ACC teams also mucks things up.

On 4/6/2023 at 6:19 PM, Tandaian said:

It would be nice if Las Vegas, SF and LA professional teams hosted neutral site games.

USC has an upcoming game versus an SEC team scheduled. The game will be played in Allegiant Stadium. BYU played a neutral site game there last season. Don't know about Santa Clara and LA.

On 4/6/2023 at 5:13 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Georgia canceled a H+H with Oregon as did A+M.

Florida is playing at Utah this season. A number of Pac/SEC H+H games have been scheduled over the next decade. Not certain but I think UGA may have a H+H scheduled with CU.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 4/6/2023 at 5:47 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Georgia canceled a H+H with Oregon as did A+M.

Florida is playing at Utah this season. A number of Pac/SEC H+H games have been scheduled over the next decade. Not certain but I think UGA may have a H+H scheduled with CU.

I think that Georgia vs Colorado series is non-existent, but anyways, what I want is an Oregon vs Alabama series, tho any SEC opponent would be fine for me, but I want that Ducks vs Crimson Tide matchup ASAP!

• Thumbs Up 2

I honestly don't know why the GA-Oregon H$H was canceled but I doubt that it was because UGA "chickened out". And I will add that the Dawgs, as I think I mentioned above, does have a H&H with UCLA commencing next year I believe. We have another kickoff classic scheduled soon with Clemson, and both Smart and Dabo Swinney want to play every year as the dawgs and tigers did in the 70s and 80s.
To date, only one such H&H has been scheduled.

We had a H&H scheduled with Ohio State that OSU pulled out of. I don't know why but I'm also pretty certain it wasn't because the Buckeyes chickened out.

I think Jon Joseph is right though in that many teams with multiple challenges within their own conference are reluctant to schedule quality OOC games and lessen their postseason prospects. I can't remember what year it was to happen but one upcoming schedule has Georgia playing three high-quality OOCs and no cupcakes, unless you consider Ga Tech a cupcake. I'm pretty sure that two of the teams were Clemson and rapidly improving Florida State but I can't remember the third matchup. Having now to play a 9-game SEC league schedule starting in 2024, something tells me that one of those three may be dropped.. 

On 4/7/2023 at 1:19 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

I honestly don't know why the GA-Oregon H$H was canceled but I doubt that it was because UGA "chickened out". And I will add that the Dawgs, as I think I mentioned above, does have a H&H with UCLA commencing next year I believe. We have another kickoff classic scheduled soon with Clemson, and both Smart and Dabo Swinney want to play every year as the dawgs and tigers did in the 70s and 80s.

We had a H&H scheduled with Ohio State that OSU pulled out of. I don't know why but I'm also pretty certain it wasn't because the Buckeyes chickened out.

I think Jon Joseph is right though in that many teams with multiple challenges within their own conference are reluctant to schedule quality OOC games and lessen their postseason prospects. I can't remember what year it was to happen but one upcoming schedule has Georgia playing three high-quality OOCs and no cupcakes, unless you consider Ga Tech a cupcake. I'm pretty sure that two of the teams were Clemson and rapidly improving Florida State but I can't remember the third matchup. Having now to play a 9-game SEC league schedule starting in 2024, something tells me that one of those three may be dropped.. 

Great take my friend.

We are already seeing the impact of the coming 12-team playoff (which I think will go to 16 in 2027 when ESPN loses its exclusive broadcast agreement) with better OOC scheduling in the SEC and elsewhere. A decade ago I never would have believed that we would see Florida leaving Florida for an OOC game let alone tripping to Salt Lake City.

4 team playoff is a piece of cake for the PO Committee. 2Ls and you are out. But with 12 teams and 6 at-large spots to be filled, I am hoping that SOS is truly going to matter. I am hoping that the OOC schedules UCLA and Michigan played in 2022 and will play in 2023 will automatically DQ you from an at-large spot come 2024/25.

Who knows why UGA canceled a H+H with Oregon but it wasn't because Georgia was afraid to play Oregon. Anyone who thinks that has a screw loose. 

BTW, UGA has a bad OOC schedule this season but playing in the SEC overcomes this kind of OOC schedule. Georgia is a premier CFB program. With the way things are going (not going) media-wise and with OOC big games vs the B12 for the next 6 seasons, I am hoping that the Oregon brand will not suffer. 

On 4/6/2023 at 11:19 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Well at least Ohio State vs Georgia is still scheduled to happen, but it's gonna be in 2030 and 2031...

Here's some articles about it from when it happened

ATLANTA.SBNATION.COM

New AD Greg McGarity on the new scheduling philosophy that led to dropping the Oregon 2015, 2016 home-and-home:↵↵ ↵McGarity is scheduling to make a run for a national title. He...
WWW.ESPN.COM

It would have been a great game -- and a great road trip for both sets of fans -- but Georgia and Oregon won't play in 2015 and 2016 after the game contract was canceled.

Seems like Greg McGarrity didn't like the idea of going across the country to play a good team, again a different AD, but it looks like it was about maximizing the possibility to get into the BCS.  If Oregon was the same distance as say Texas, then maybe Georgia would have played those games. 

It's a new situation in college football today, we're already seeing better matchups, I just don't think at the time that the Tech, Baylor, and Ok. St. games were scheduled that it was easy or even possible to get SEC teams to come to Oregon.

I should mention I totally respect the idea that Mullens should have anticipated the current structure of college football better, and that he should have done everything he could have to get some higher profile games in the coming 6-7 seasons.  I'm just not sure how realistic it was.  

I do think the Baylor and Okie St. games might be semi-must watch, depends on the lineup of games that take place that week, but I could easily see a situation where that is a top-15 matchup.  The Tech games are probably the weakest we've had in a while in terms of a Power 5 opponent comparable to when we played Purdue.

Edited by spartan2785

On 4/6/2023 at 2:13 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

The home and home games were scheduled for the 2015-16 seasons.   From the article ....

UGA Athletics Director Greg McGarity and Oregon AD Rob Mullens mutually agreed to terminate the contract. One of the concerns for Georgia was the length of travel to and from Oregon. The Bulldogs made a trip like that in 2008 to Arizona State and will make a similar one this week to Colorado.

Apparently the Ducks didn't have such a "length of travel" concern.

SICEMDAWGS.COM

The Georgia Bulldogs and the Oregon Ducks have canceled their 2015 and 2016 home-and-home football series.

Frankly, I think the issue is Oregon is too dominant. Good teams are too smart to risk an OOC loss, and coming to Autzen is a big risk.

Playing WSU, AZ, UCLA, even Utah, is not at all the same risk level. And if you go back to when these games were scheduled, none of these Pac12 teams were scaring anyone away.

JJ, those "one-off" games are not as preferable as H&H, but they bring lots of eyes early in the season and pay handsome for it.

This year's game with TT has the added bonus of pitting former Duck Tyler Shough against Bo Nix. Should be a fun added bonus.

By the time we play OSU, they may be the best team in the Big12. And seeing as we just snatched Baylor's QB commit from last year, that adds a little extra to that game.

I agree that strength of schedule should count, but we all know it doesn't ever seem to matter enough.

It's all about W's and no L's.

I'll take the current scheduling for now, until we at least make the playoffs a couple times.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/7/2023 at 11:38 AM, DanLduck said:

This year's game with TT has the added bonus of pitting former Duck Tyler Shough against Bo Nix. Should be a fun added bonus.

By the time we play OSU, they may be the best team in the Big12. And seeing as we just snatched Baylor's QB commit from last year, that adds a little extra to that game.

I

Not to mention, Oregon has had some success recruiting in Texas. Playing some games in or near Texas will be a positive for those player’s families and help future recruiting in the area. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I really wish someone here was a CFB insider to at least know what kind of future matchups Oregon is discussing, there haven't been any future schedule news about the Ducks since 2021 and I want to know what matchups the Ducks are discussing.

On 4/8/2023 at 4:47 PM, Thomallister1291 said:

I really wish someone here was a CFB insider to at least know what kind of future matchups Oregon is discussing, there haven't been any future schedule news about the Ducks since 2021 and I want to know what matchups the Ducks are discussing.

24 -at Hawaii

Idaho

TX Tech

Boise St

25 - Montana State

OK St

at Boise St

26 - Boise St

at OK St

Portland St

27 -at Baylor

Utah St

28- ND St

Baylor 

at Utah St

29 - at Michigan State

Utah State

30 -Michigan State

31- Hawaii

32 Ohio State 

33 at Ohio State

The above is up to date according to FBS Scheduling.

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2023 at 11:09 AM, Jon Joseph said:

24 -at Hawaii

Idaho

TX Tech

Boise St

25 - Montana State

OK St

at Boise St

26 - Boise St

at OK St

Portland St

27 -at Baylor

Utah St

28- ND St

Baylor 

at Utah St

29 - at Michigan State

Utah State

30 -Michigan State

31- Hawaii

32 Ohio State 

33 at Ohio State

The above is up to date according to FBS Scheduling.

Yeah I know about all those matchups, but I meant ones that haven't been announced but that Oregon is discussing rn.

Either way, thanks for helping us with that schedule thing!

On 4/9/2023 at 3:05 PM, Thomallister1291 said:

Yeah I know about all those matchups, but I meant ones that haven't been announced but that Oregon is discussing rn.

Either way, thanks for helping us with that schedule thing!

Thanks my friend but at 76 years of age I'm too worried about what happens beyond the games already scheduled.

With SC/UCLA in the B1G fold Ohio State has already paid UW $500K not to play in Seattle next season. We should expect much of the same.