NJDuck

USC Football Games on Peacock in the Big Ten? That's not Acceptable

Cry me a river, bring out the violins.  USC is upset and whining they might be on Peacock.

TROJANSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

#USC fans have put up with Pac-12 Network for a decade. Having #B1G games on Peacock will not go down well (and it shouldn’t).

• Yikes! 1

Better on Peacock than Apple TV.  

• Applause 1

Cry me a river is right. The Man in Black and I sympathize with their plight!

7o08e1.jpg

Edited by Haywarduck
Capitalization of my hero, "The Man in Black"
  • Applause 1

Well it couldn't happen to a more deserving team. 

• Cool 1

What??!!! You want your cake AND eat it too??!! 

Hey U$uCk? You thumbed your nose to all that is tradition over an increased payday. You didn't stick around to work out a better deal with the PAC and now you are eating crow. Grabbing every last cent is not always worth it, right U$uCk? 

Just SMH.....

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

How do you get football fans converted to streaming?  By starting with an occasional big game they won’t want to miss.

Frankly, this is part of the new entertainment world that I assume will later happen to Oregon.

Like USC fans-we will not like it at first, but will adapt and ultimately prosper from it.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/2/2023 at 8:01 AM, Charles Fischer said:

How do you get football fans converted to streaming?  By starting with an occasional big game they won’t want to miss.

Frankly, this is part of the new entertainment world that I assume will later happen to Oregon.

Like USC fans-we will not like it at first, but will adapt and ultimately prosper from it.

I don't know. When it gets so that, in order to watch all the PAC-12 games we want to watch (not to mention other conferences) that we have to pay multiple services, some of us (cough, me) might just say enough.

• Applause 1

I know some things on Peacock are free to watch.  I wonder if football games are free.  I have HBO, Netflix, Prime Video, Paramount+ and DishTV.  It is getting a bit silly with all these al a cart TV channels.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/2/2023 at 11:01 AM, Charles Fischer said:

This season's UW at Michigan State game is being broadcast exclusively on Peacock. The wave of the future and if you don't get it in the water you will be sucked out to sea by the tide.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/2/2023 at 11:14 AM, Tandaian said:

I know some things on Peacock are free to watch.  I wonder if football games are free.  I have HBO, Netflix, Prime Video, Paramount+ and DishTV.  It is getting a bit silly with all these al a cart TV channels.

None of those that you have that I also have are 'free.' Monthly or annual payment is charged.

I do not have Peacock. Even with Paramount, I had to pay extra for Yellowstone this season.

But in most cases, you are buying an all-in package and not one-off events.

It will be interesting to see if Peacock will offer UW at MI ST as a one-off or require you to buy the entire Peacock package.

The top 32 or so CFB teams get together. Form its own network and sell games on a pay-for-view platform. Start printing the money. Unfortunately, I think this is where CFB at the top level is headed,

On 6/2/2023 at 11:14 AM, Tandaian said:

Notre Dame vs Toledo was on Peacock and not offered for free.

On 6/2/2023 at 8:26 AM, Rufus said:

Better on Peacock than Apple TV.  

Why? I think the Apple broadcasts of the NFL and MLS are fine.

• Thumbs Up 2

More people access Peacock than Apple TV.  Peacock has a free version. 

On 6/2/2023 at 8:05 AM, Annie said:

When it gets so that, in order to watch all the PAC-12 games we want to watch (not to mention other conferences) that we have to pay multiple services, some of us (cough, me) might just say enough.

I would assume that all Pac-12 games would be with one streaming service, hence a contract with Amazon or Apple for example.  You would have one service to pay for all sports, all teams, and I hope most of the games.  

I would like to see games on both TV and streamed for full global coverage, but I do not know if that can work.

For example...today I wanted to watch the Oregon Baseball game, but would have to sign up and pay for ESPN+ at ten bucks a month.  If we had our streaming contract--it would be part of that one service.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/2/2023 at 11:31 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I would assume that all Pac-12 games would be with one streaming service, hence a contract with Amazon or Apple for example.  You would have one service to pay for all sports, all teams, and I hope most of the games.  

I would like to see games on both TV and streamed for full global coverage, but I do not know if that can work.

For example...today I wanted to watch the Oregon Baseball game, but would have to sign up and pay for ESPN+ at ten bucks a month.  If we had our streaming contract--it would be part of that one service.

Yes, I guess all PAC-12 teams would be with one streaming service. But  then there would still be games from other conferences. If each conference would be on a different streaming service, that could get pricey.

However, if games are on TV and streamed, then 💚.

Is Trojans Wire a legitimate website? It doesn't even appear to allow comments from its base. Seems like a pet project for one or more hotheads. The writer makes proclamations instead of summarizing or speculating.

I'm not sure why someone that actually graduated from the University of Southern California would bother reading that type of material. 

On 6/2/2023 at 5:27 PM, 2002duck said:

Is Trojans Wire a legitimate website? It doesn't even appear to allow comments from its base. Seems like a pet project for one or more hotheads. The writer makes proclamations instead of summarizing or speculating.

It is part of the same platform as Ducks Wire, and we have articles from them here every day.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Get the latest Oregon Ducks football and basketball news, schedules, photos and rumors.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/2/2023 at 6:36 PM, Charles Fischer said:

It is part of the same platform as Ducks Wire

That makes sense, and that's kind of sad. Ducks Wire is great- I check everything that is posted from there, as well as going there on my own.

Like I said, Trojans Wire always has a vibe of an overprotective sports parent. And I should know that vibe, I purposefully took out a player on a breakaway (before the midline) in a state championship hockey game when I was 17, and the player's dad literally tried to climb into the penalty box to fight me. That's why they have a staff member in penalty boxes, in case anyone wondered. 

Given the cesspool that is social media comments I don’t hold it against Trojan Wire that they disable comments. Without good content moderation the comment section will be nothing but hatred, bile, and mean spirited snark by people who are not nearly as smart as they think they are (but are great bullies). Ask @Charles Fischer about the work he and his moderators do to keep things civil here. 

if you don’t have the budget or stomach for aggressive content moderation you are better off without comments. Very few commenters have the knowledge and skill to say anything useful. Reading through the hate and contempt filled comments to find the 1 in 100 insightful comment is something I and most people can do without. 

Edited by lownslowav8r
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/2/2023 at 8:29 PM, lownslowav8r said:

if you don’t have the budget or stomach for aggressive content moderation you are better off without comments.

This is what the national trend has been, because moderating is very labor and stress-intensive.  But there might be hope-on-the-horizon. 

The French Open is using Artificial Intelligence, AI, to remove all hate speech and attacks between the fans of Russian/Ukrainian/Belarusian tennis players in their forums.  I am having the web developer look into it for adapting to OBD, because most website owners have no idea how to moderate, but I have documents and hundreds of emails over the past six years the AI can read through, learn, and apply.

The potential would be bad stuff not being up after a few seconds, compared to minutes.  And if I can automate the process while overseeing things..."Mork....you missed one here, and two you hid from public view are OK, and here is why..."

Yeah...remember the TV series in the 1970s...Mork and Mindy?  The launch of Robin Williams career, and he was an alien who spoke like a robot on occasion.  So my AI partner would be Mork!

giphy.gif

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Charles, I really hope this works out so you and your moderators can have more well-deserved time to yourselves,

If it doesn't work out, well then, shazbot.

Edited by CountryProf
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2023 at 10:54 AM, Jon Joseph said:

The top 32 or so CFB teams get together. Form its own network and sell games on a pay-for-view platform. Start printing the money. Unfortunately, I think this is where CFB at the top level is headed,

Unfortunately your 100% right.

Other options might be you have to buy the outrageous expensive comprehensive game coverage mega package!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/2/2023 at 11:29 PM, lownslowav8r said:

Given the cesspool that is social media comments I don’t hold it against Trojan Wire that they disable comments. Without good content moderation the comment section will be nothing but hatred, bile, and mean spirited snark by people who are not nearly as smart as they think they are (but are great bullies). Ask @Charles Fischer about the work he and his moderators do to keep things civil here. 

if you don’t have the budget or stomach for aggressive content moderation you are better off without comments. Very few commenters have the knowledge and skill to say anything useful. Reading through the hate and contempt filled comments to find the 1 in 100 insightful comment is something I and most people can do without. 

ESPN, CBS, and close to all other major media entities have gone in this direction. And here I wanted to give Denni Dodd a keyboard full.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/2/2023 at 11:04 PM, 2002duck said:

That makes sense, and that's kind of sad. Ducks Wire is great- I check everything that is posted from there, as well as going there on my own.

Like I said, Trojans Wire always has a vibe of an overprotective sports parent. And I should know that vibe, I purposefully took out a player on a breakaway (before the midline) in a state championship hockey game when I was 17, and the player's dad literally tried to climb into the penalty box to fight me. That's why they have a staff member in penalty boxes, in case anyone wondered. 

Both are Subsidiaries of USA Today.