Rufus

Former Maryland AD on Oregon’s Chances of Going to the B1G

247SPORTS.COM

Former Maryland AD Kevin Anderson went in-depth on why and how the school moved from the ACC to the Big...

Really interesting article from former Maryland AD Kevin Anderson on the Terps move from the ACC to the B1G.  Except for the part on his thoughts on Oregon and future B1G expansion. Here’s hoping he’s wrong on this….

-> ON WHETHER THE BIG TEN IS DONE EXPANDING

"I think so and one of the reasons why is the media partners aren't going to put any more money in the pot. So I know that the athletic directors and the presidents in the Big Ten and the SEC aren't willing to give up a piece of their share to bring somebody else in, unless ESPN or Fox, CBS, NBC come and say, 'OK, you could bring these people in and we'll give you some more money.' But the other thing is that, and this is just a speculation on my part ... You have an Oregon with one of the richest alumni in that in the world [Nike founder Phil Knight] who has an unbelievable company that promotes and works alongside intercollegiate athletics. And they couldn't get any traction in moving someplace. So that tells you something, right? It also tells you that you look at, this is all driven with the media markets." <-

• Thumbs Up 1

Is this subject ever going to stop?  Oregon is going to stay right where it is at least for the foreseeable future.  If the prediction that due to NIL the future is super conferences then the Ducks will obviously be part of one of those teams.  It's predicted by some so called experts that this will occur around the 2030 time period, we shall see.  For what it's worth in my opinion Oregon is much better off in the Pac than going to the Big 10 which is dominated by Ohio State and to a lesser extent Michigan and Penn State.  

USC alums (who are notorious poor sports) are going to be very very unhappy campers when they finally realize that the Trojans are for the most part also rans in the Big 10.  Oregon, with major bowl money which I think is going to be somewhat regular will be close in income, and along with Washington will dominate the Pac.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 6/26/2023 at 11:47 AM, mrspenney said:

Is this subject ever going to stop?  Oregon is going to stay right where it is at least for the foreseeable future.  If the prediction that due to NIL the future is super conferences then the Ducks will obviously be part of one of those teams.  It's predicted by some so called experts that this will occur around the 2030 time period, we shall see.  For what it's worth in my opinion Oregon is much better off in the Pac than going to the Big 10 which is dominated by Ohio State and to a lesser extent Michigan and Penn State.  

USC alums (who are notorious poor sports) are going to be very very unhappy campers when they finally realize that the Trojans are for the most part also rans in the Big 10.  Oregon, with major bowl money which I think is going to be somewhat regular will be close in income, and along with Washington will dominate the Pac.

I'm surprised that most Oregon forums nowadays dislike the idea of moving to the Big Ten.

On 6/26/2023 at 10:47 AM, mrspenney said:

Is this subject ever going to stop?

Nope.  It will be on-going for five or six years, a subject of debate on a regular basis--even when we get a media contract.

But in the end for Oregon....

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/26/2023 at 11:37 AM, Thomallister1291 said:

I'm surprised that most Oregon forums nowadays dislike the idea of moving to the Big Ten.

That is inaccurate.  Most see how it is inevitable, but wonder why so many are insisting it must happen now?  The B1G has big problems right now, and they are not inviting anyone; this whole discussion is moot for five years.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/26/2023 at 2:44 PM, Charles Fischer said:

That is inaccurate.  Most see how it is inevitable, but wonder why so many are insisting it must happen now?  The B1G has big problems right now, and they are not inviting anyone; this whole discussion is moot for five years.

EXACTLY. The B1G's new media deal is now down to $65M a school per annum. Take away the LA schools and at least $20M in a media revenue bump and what is so great about the B1G deal? 

And B1G sports? No CBB title since 2000. 1 college football playoff title. Michigan is playoff 0-2 and Penn State has never made the playoff. Football is these 3 teams and 11 mediocre teams with UCLA on the way to make it 12 mediocre football teams. And will SC's D improve? As to baseball, softball, golf, tennis, track, and field, etc., the B1G is a non-entity. We are living in a Power 1. The B1G money is close but the on-field and on-court results for the B1G are woeful compared to the SEC. And why would any school want football games broadcast on Peacock with its 20M subscriber base? 

I'd much prefer the Pac to hold together and not to have every road game in every sport requiring 2-time zones+ travel. Oregon's sports existence does not solely rely on media income. And in a 10 to 12-team conference, the odds of making all post-season fields are far better than playing in an 18+ team conference.; including the odds of having two teams make the 12-team football playoff field.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 3

Just like in life, the future is already happening, just not where you happen to be. The future is already moving forward, just without the Pac-10.

Fortunately for Oregon, the longterm future will include our athletic department.

At the same time no one knows what the future will truly hold. It may look more like the way Euro soccer runs. There is a first division and if you don't play well you drop the the second division. In that case, the dawgs and even sc may find themselves where they never thought they would be, and the dawgs are working on that direction as we speak. 

It depends on the post. 

I have read some that are incredibly set on Oregon leaving the PAC as soon as possible, ideally for the B1G. 

Other posts are more stay in the PAC. 

It's a mixed bag for sure. 

By the way... Tomorrow I have an article coming up on FishDuck on this issue of should Oregon stay or go. So stay tuned! 

• Thumbs Up 2

Anyone outside of the B1G and SEC will be at a huge disadvantage. Either conference is acceptable, but the B1G is the more likely landing spot for the Ducks. 

Whatever this PAC 12 deal ends up being is simply putting lipstick on a pig. The sooner we are out of the conference, the better.  We might have to stick around for one more media contract, but Oregon is too valuable to not be wanted by the B1G long term.  Oregon has the 7th largest fan base in the nation and the largest fan base west of Texas. Larger than USC. If the B1G wants to make a splash on the west coast outside of LA, Oregon is a must have. Oregon is a growing state with Portland being the 25th largest market in the nation. Oregon is AAU. That has to be worth something.  

On 6/26/2023 at 4:15 PM, Rufus said:

Anyone outside of the B1G and SEC will be at a huge disadvantage. Either conference is acceptable, but the B1G is the more likely landing spot for the Ducks. 

Whatever this PAC 12 deal ends up being is simply putting lipstick on a pig. The sooner we are out of the conference, the better.  We might have to stick around for one more media contract, but Oregon is too valuable to not be wanted by the B1G long term.  Oregon has the 7th largest fan base in the nation and the largest fan base west of Texas. Larger than USC. If the B1G wants to make a splash on the west coast outside of LA, Oregon is a must have. Oregon is a growing state with Portland being the 25th largest market in the nation. Oregon is AAU. That has to be worth something.  

Or, pinning the tail on a lot of championship opportunities? When you have 16 teams let alone 18+ do you have a conference? In a 12-team football playoff, there will be six at-large teams chosen. How many will come out of an 18+ team B1G? A Pac-12 with SDSU and SMU will get its conference champion in the field year after year, likely with a first-round bye, and should also have a very good shot at getting a 2nd team in. Do you want to have to finish ahead of one and perhaps two of Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State to make the playoff? Ditto for teams in the CBB tournament that is expected to expand to 80 teams.  

LSU plays Florida tonight for the CWS title. These 2 did not meet in the regular season and that's before OK and TX join the SEC. It is a dicey question but how much of a revenue haircut should Oregon take to be a junior member of the B1G instead of the top dog (over the Dawgs) in the Pac-10+? Personally, I want to see a streaming deal with Apple/Amazon and the income that could come from streaming to a far bigger audience than the Pac-12 Network and NBC's Peacock and its 20M subscribers, before joining the B1G.  

I see good things happening out west including CU's hire of Prime, Oregon State in the preseason top 25, Cal finally building an on-campus CBB practice facility, and Stanford getting with it in football recruiting. I am in no particular hurry to be a junior partner to Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Minnesota, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, and Nebraska. 

I am looking forward to reading David Marsh's take on this subject tomorrow. 

• Great post! 2
  • Like 1

That's news to me. Maybe people will change their tunes when the Pac officially sign their new media deal.

Personally, I'd be happy if Oregon left for the B1G even if they get $32M now or even several years of a reduced payout after the next B1G media deal in 2030. We've got to get out! The goose is cooked, ha!

Edited by 2002duck

What I’ve seen is the B1G advocates posting more than those okay with the PAC-10. This gives the perception that there is majority of fans and schools wanting to be in the B1G. 

Initially I thought it might be a good idea but have changed my mind. Perhaps in five years the USC/UCLA jump will be seen as a brilliant move, but more likely IMHO, the move will be seen as a failure and cautionary tale about chasing the money by moving to a geographical and culturally distant conference. 

UCLA is a mediocre team and USC is overhyped by media and USC fans. How is USC going to become a national champion and put Oregon in the dust when Oregon has out recruited USC for the last several years with no signs of Oregon dominance being overcome? 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I reserve the right to change my mind at any time.

As this world turns, it seems to me that Oregon will not leave the PAC. There comes a sweet spot where getting to the playoffs pays off. While Oregon may not reach the overall level of pay that comes from the B1G, it can finish each season enormously in the black. They are already in the black with no real pay outs. 

Why would Oregon leave now? More money? If Oregon makes $34 million per year, with a play off pay out, it could be well north of $40 million. If they went to the B1G then the overall added cost taken off the $60 million just might leave Oregon within single digit millions of B1G money. Then one has to ask if this is all worth it? 

I believe the landscape is going to be 4 conferences in the end. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In addition to the travel issues that will become more apparent for UCLA/USC, I believe we'll see another issue come into focus in the near future.

That is, with expanded conferences there are going to be an expansion of teams with mediocre records and waning fan support.  The SEC has tried to deal with that by keeping conference games to 8 and some creative scheduling non-conference and within.  SEC understands keeping W-L records up, and fans engaged.

Take as a lesson for my point of possibility, the Boston College program.  It was a darn competitive program in the Big East and as an Independent, but after it joined the ACC....now 14 teams plus Notre Dame....it has become a .500 program.

WWW.SPORTS-REFERENCE.COM

Check out the Boston College Eagles College Football History, Stats, Records, Polls, Bowls and More College Football Stats at Sports-Reference.com

I can foresee that happening to more programs as conferences expand.  What were once mid-tier programs that could get regular minor bowl appearances will have to scratch and claw against more conference opponents to make it.   Yes, more money will be nice, but it will likely come at a cost in W-L, fan engagement, morale.  And teams, like Boston College, that could occasionally fly like eagles will have a much harder time doing so.  There are numerous B.C. programs that could have a rude awakening.

The smaller, regionalized conferences may see quaint now, but fans of mid and low-tier schools may soon look back on them fondly.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I see this B1G drama as exactly that, drama. If weighing the cost vs the benefits, in my mind it's a net gain for the B1G and a wash or even loss for us. It's not that I don't think we can compete against tOSU, PSU or Michigan, I believe we can: It's that I'd rather do it in the playoff and get a big paycheck for our trouble.

I believe most people wanting to push this move are looking at it from a football only perspective. Our mens basketball team will have to play approx 10 road conference games and our baseball team played 17 road games this season. Then add in the olympic and womens sports and that extra media money disappears pretty quickly. Football may be the spoon that stirs the pot, but there's a lot of other stuff in that pot that costs money. 

Plenty of articles (like the one this morning) have explained where the pitfalls exist in chasing these supposed dollars, and I for one don't want to jump out of the pot and into the fire...

• Thumbs Up 1

You're not going to like this take.

But, seriously, why does College have Olympic sports anyway? I understand the desire to continue a nostalgic form of sport, but what purpose does it provide? Do they make money? No. Then why promote it and then complain about the cost when it never made money in the first place. 

I would be more inclined to have Olympic sport programs that are region centric. Even then its wasted money. I'm only talking of the business side of it since this is one of the angles of attack against realignment. But, since this issue keeps coming up, why not offer scholarships purely on academic prowess? Yes, I know Oregon already does. Take every sport that is in the Red, add up the total cost to run these programs, cut it in half and then offer full schollies to 4.0 kids. Eliminate Red programs.

The tunnel vision that exist in Olympic programs is bewildering. Under the current model, all these Red programs should not be running. Its only out of the kindness of someone's heart, and pocketbook, that they run at all. Shake it up and stop running in the Red. For example, Oregon has Hayward Field and that alone tends to bring a ton of money. So, what happens if the top PAC players, after the NCAA championships, heads to China and has a 'University Meet' in one of their stadiums? The alternate year China comes here. A 4 day event but wrapped around 9 days. Do you think the Chinese would fill their 100,000 seat stadiums? I believe it would propel the PAC into the black. 

In this day and age of NIL money, Educational programs have a responsibility to figure out how to become net zero on their balance sheet. If these kids can now make money then the programs need to get more creative. It really isn't all that hard. They just need to think outside the box a bit.

The first and main reason is Title IX.  Universities need to have women receive approximately 75% the number of scholarships the men do at a university.  If you look at most universities, the number of men sports is less than compared to women.  Football obviously makes a huge impact.

You then need to define what an Olympic sport is.

Professional sports:

Tier 1

Football

Basketball

Baseball

Soccer

Golf

Tennis

Track & Field

Lacrosse

Softball

Volleyball

The above sports are all sports where they have professional leagues in the USA.  Tier 1 are sports where you could make more than 1 million annually.  The top end track and field athletes can make a living with only running track and field.

Looking at what sports Oregon offers:

Men: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Tennis, Track and Field

Women: Acrobat & Tumbling, Basketball, Beach Volleyball, Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball

Oregon technically only has Acrobat & Tumbling that is an Olympic sport.  

Let's take away Lacrosse, Softball and Volleyball because nearly nobody can make a living playing those sports.  Oregon still needs to offer those sports because of the professional sports they offer the men.

The Olympic and non-money-making sports also attract potential students and alumni.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 6/27/2023 at 9:42 AM, 1Funduck said:

But, seriously, why does College have Olympic sports anyway? I understand the desire to continue a nostalgic form of sport, but what purpose does it provide? Do they make money? No. Then why promote it and then complain about the cost when it never made money in the first place. 

First, many thanks to Tandaian for their well thought out and researched response. I'm considerably less eloquent (and also at work) so trying to dovetail with the above post would be difficult at best. That being said, my opinion to your question can be most succinctly phrased thusly: bc we're desperately clinging to the notion that colleges are places of learning and not businesses...and they want to be considered that way as well. One way of doing so is being able to say you support things that are a net negative but for the good of the students, which that can include nostalgia as well.

Consider track and field and Olympic sports in general: it's a throwback to ancient Greece, the homeland of higher learning and thought. It also acts an amateur proving ground for those seeking to become professionals in said sporting endeavors.

And finally, when all else fails, follow the money. By remaining thought of as institutions of learning as opposed to businesses, they continue to rake in billions without paying Federal Tax in much the same way churches do...even though we all know both Universities and Churches are businesses in much the same way news is now considered entertainment.

• Thumbs Up 1