FishDuck Article

Does Oregon Have Too Much Talent at RB?

Oregon has an incredible running back tradition with highly recognizable names such as Jonathan Stewart, LaMichael James, Kenyon Barner, De’Anthony Thomas and Royce Freeman, to name a handful. Oregon’s current roster is not lacking for talent either with a RB room featuring Bucky Irving (junior), Noah Whittington (junior), Jordan James (sophomore), Dante Dowdell (freshman) and Jayden Limar (freshman). This is an ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Oregon has an incredible running back tradition with highly recognizable names such as Jonathan Stewart, LaMichael James, Kenyon Barner, De'
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

IMO, Irving and Whittington are the premier backs. They are proven and have earned their spots. Both will make NFL rosters.

Limited touches obviously effects stat lines. It also keeps backs fresh through a long brutal season. A fresh back hypothetically, will put better averages in the books.

DL coached at UGA. He is experienced in navigating such wonderful problems. If one of the underclassmen can pry snaps from Bucky and Noah, this problem just gets more wonderful. 

Ducks will play 15 games in 23' fresh legs are going to be at a premium. Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Thanks David for today's article!  Isn't it a wonderful problem to have - too much talent in the RB room!

I agree with Log Hauling.  "If one of the underclassmen can pry snaps from Bucky and Noah, this problem just gets more wonderful."

I've always believed in fresh legs.  Late in a game, when the defense is not fresh, a fresh RB can make a difference.

T.I.L.  Trust In Locklyn.  Coach earned my trust last year!  

"Next Man Up" is better when that man has talent.  Coach Lanning, Coach Stein, and Coach Locklyn are recruiting talented running backs.  The Ducks are better for their efforts and are blessed!

• Thumbs Up 5

What a wonderful problem to have. I also believe the same problem exists in the WR room. Be fun to watch it all come to a head this coming season. Keep our QBs healthy along with our skinny tight end room and this offense should put some hurt on pack 12 defenses.

Don’t recall this much depth on an Oregon team, ever.

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

• Thumbs Up 2

Be truthful in recruiting . . . that, like Chip always told us, he ran a "meritocracy" (best man up)

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I do feel that Oregon is going to rotate through probably 3 backs regularly this year. 

We'll probably see the freshman play against PSU in the opener and a few other games in garbage time. 

I personally think Irving needs more snaps per game than he got last year... I also feel that he needs to be in the field running touchdowns in around the goal line. He only had 5 rushing touchdowns last year because he wasn't on the field around the goal line.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would keep things mostly as they were last year. Rotate and keep guys fresh.

If the freshmen deserve the snaps, they can have the ones that Dollars and others took last year.

I loved the way Dollars and Whittington blocked for each other when they were on the field together. You've also got the Go-Go option.

• Thumbs Up 1

Great article, and an incredibly deep RB room.  Thanks David!

Bucky Irving_Eugene Johnson (2).jpg

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

I agree with Steven A, Oregon runs, no pun intended, a meritocracy at all positions. We saw that last year with early on grumblings about too many guys getting touches. As the season progressed it became evident Bucky was the guy, and his statistics indicate he will start out ahead of the returning guys.

The one question is where will Dowdell fit in. He hasn't had a true opportunity to show what he can do in game time. Will he push James out, and into the portal? Will he push even more guys to leave. I do think we need at least 3 good backs ready to go. The punishment these guys take leads to needing capable back-ups.

I do think Limar is a wildcard. I don't see where he fits in, but I haven't seen enough of what he can do. Maybe a couple will be ok with sitting around, training, getting ready. 

Does the Oregon RB room become like Alabama's. Derrick Henry came in and had 36 touches his freshman year. Shared the starting role his sophomore year, and then won the Heisman his junior year. 

Can we maintain a meritocracy where elite talent waits for the opportunity to shine? That is the question with so many talented guys wanting the rock.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Great take David, thank you. 

Love this stat. In 2022 Bucky Irving was one of 2 CFB RBs to carry the ball 150 times or more and average 6.5 yards or more. UCLA's Zach Charbonnet was the other RB to accomplish this feat. And during the season he had a rocky start as a pass receiver but very much improved in this regard. 

Yes, other RBs need to see the field because they are good and Bucky needs the break but if I'm Coach Stein I'm feeding the ball to Bucky. Bucky and the other RBs on the roster give Oregon the best balance on offense of any team in the Pac-12. 

On 7/11/2023 at 10:47 AM, Haywarduck said:

I agree with Steven A, Oregon runs, no pun intended, a meritocracy at all positions. We saw that last year with early on grumblings about too many guys getting touches. As the season progressed it became evident Bucky was the guy, and his statistics indicate he will start out ahead of the returning guys.

The one question is where will Dowdell fit in. He hasn't had a true opportunity to show what he can do in game time. Will he push James out, and into the portal? Will he push even more guys to leave. I do think we need at least 3 good backs ready to go. The punishment these guys take leads to needing capable back-ups.

I do think Limar is a wildcard. I don't see where he fits in, but I haven't seen enough of what he can do. Maybe a couple will be ok with sitting around, training, getting ready. 

Does the Oregon RB room become like Alabama's. Derrick Henry came in and had 36 touches his freshman year. Shared the starting role his sophomore year, and then won the Heisman his junior year. 

Can we maintain a meritocracy where elite talent waits for the opportunity to shine? That is the question with so many talented guys wanting the rock.

Last year all the MC era runningback decided they wanted to mortal before the meat of the season. 

The fear of the portal is certainly a factor. Irving and Whittington are both juniors so they can enter the draft at the end of the year. I can see Irving being good enough to make the leap potentially... Whittington I could see needing an extra year but that comes with the risk of being overshadowed as he isn't really built to be an every down back of a featured back. 

So keeping players engaged is going to be difficult. 

• Yikes! 1

Great take David on dealing with the challenges any OC must face whose recruited successfully. By comparison, it made me think of those heavily-stocked USC RB rooms back in the 80’s & 90’s before the portal that just looked flat trying to re-establish their traditional power game against well-prepared defensive alignments.

Don’t think that will be an issue with Stein. As with any OC though, he will be reacting to what DC’s are anticipating from him. That will influence somewhat the touches we see from his charges.

Depth helps as the season wears on and as others have said in late game for fresh legs. 

Also, hoping this doesn't happen, but two twisted knees (even not series injuries) and we need every bit of that depth.