Charles Fischer

Arizona Leaving: Do YOU Believe Him?

Don't you hate it when disgusting people are right once in a while, thus you cannot disregard everything he says?  Is he right this time?

Mr. FishDuck

When it comes to college football, I don't know what to believe anymore.

• Thumbs Up 2

FWIW, the scuttlebutt I have been seeing on various Big 12 and national threads is that Arizona will be the next school to bolt. It seems Colorado and Arizona are the two schools targeted.

It is interesting reading some of these threads. I think the Colorado move was driven heavily by Coach Prime. He wants to have a presence in Texas for recruiting and he seemed to not like the streaming talk for the media deal for recruiting.

I don't really care much. UA probably won't be in the top group when all is sorted out unless basketball is its magic elixor. 

Football is in an uncomfortable, sometimes painful metamorphosis.

• Applause 1

After CU? I smell smoke from whatever source and I'm looking for fire. All we heard from the Pac-9 emergency meeting was SSDD. I have absolute trust and faith in the Oregon brand and zero trust in GK and the people who hired GK. Forget a patchwork Pac, leave ASAP for a full share in the ACC or a lesser split in the B1G.

image.gif.025a6dae7bffa4c8877d302320e7cfe9.gif

They said Colorado was a fine deal months ago... It turned out to be true but it took a while to get there. 

Yeah circumstances have changed a bit, I think Colorado was probably the easiest pickings for them and the least valuable target for the PAC to lose. It's a gut punch but it's more emotional right now than anything else. It changed the Pac-12 picture but its not a death blow as so many think it is. 

Arizona would be a whole lot worse. 

I think Colorado got cold feet and looked to bolt earlier in the year and were calmed down. Then there were a lot of pressures out on Colorado and they decided to leave. 

The key here will be is can the PAC get their media deal announced and voted on before Zona feels the need to run? Not looking likely based on the track record to date. 

But I find it hard to imagine that this is a done deal without any announcements.of board meetings or anything of that nature.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Add San Diego State now, maybe even help with the increased exit fee.

SMU, too.

Get aggressive. 

Pac-10 or 11 sounds a helluva lot better than PAC-9.

Don’t just rope-a-dope…….throw some punches.

Act like you care, show some heart.

Enough with the empty promises, the “deal is right around the corner” nonsense.

But if AZ in fact leaves, it may be too late. I hope Oregon is looking around, too.

It’s the 11th round, the PAC-? Is still standing, but it needs a 12th round KO.

• Salute 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I used to believe GK, the Presidents and Chancellors right up to last week.

I took them at their word that they were sticking together until the terms of the media deal were presented.

That word meant nothing to CU and probably means less to UA. There are less football mountains to overcome in G5 Big 12.

Without knowing what GK presented last week its hard to fully blame CU or AU. At least until or if the whole story comes out.

However, i believe in loyalty. The PAC extended and provided UA, ASU and Utah a seat at the big table.

UA should show loyalty. But do they have integrity?

Since the PAC members have very little sports business acumen I guess its every school for themselves.

So at this point, I believe that UA is headed to the big 12.

• Applause 1

Since Nebraska used to be Colorado's regular rival in the B12, that boomerang for the Buffs makes sense. Arizona and ASU are bitter rivals and play for the Territorial Cup every year. I would imagine that one won't jump without the other, but who knows at this point. I'm sure every remaining team in the PAC?# has a contingency plan for what is increasingly looking like a meltdown 

At this point, I just want whatever is going to happen to happen. AU Leaves, see ya. UO goes to the BIG, then away we go. Pac brings in some G5 schools, welcome aboard. Media deal is good, bad or ugly, let's just sign it and move on. The part of my brain I allocate for sports just needs to have some sports in it. If I wanted an endless stream of drama, I'd follow the Kardashians.

• Haha 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/30/2023 at 10:52 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

UA should show loyalty. But do they have integrity?

Since the PAC members have very little sports business acumen I guess its every school for themselves.

So at this point, I believe that UA is headed to the big 12.

Im loyal.  But I'm not taking a 33% paycut loyal.  Not saying that is the offer, but I'm not sacrificing my dignity to be loyal.

Why is this deal taking so long?  Money absolutely has to be the sticking point in this.  There is a ton of risk involved in this deal.  

The conference cannot afford ' maybe you'll get $31M".  The conference really can't afford nonlinear coverage in my opinion.  I wouldn't take that risk personally.  That's an all or nothing proposition. 

The Presidents have practically ruined the conference's reputation. I hope they're not stupid enough to tie themselves into something that resembles the ACC deal.  

As to  Arizona signing by Tuesday: I'd be surprised at that.  But it would indicate they've been on the fence for far longer than they've declared.  

When the dust settles, there are going to be lots of people with egg on their faces ( I'll quickly admit I'm wrong- that would mean the conference stays together a while longer).  

• Applause 1