Charles Fischer

Reports: Oregon Leaving Pac-12 for B1G

I'm afraid this will come back to bite us.  Time will tell I guess.

I remember the sadness and loss I felt when Weyerhaeuser gobbled up Willamette Industries. Now the FOX and ESPN take the Pac.

The Pac has been around since before I became a fan of CF. A lot has changed since then. Some good, some bad, some meh.

One thing that has definitely changed. I am more of a rabid Duck fan today than I was 40 years ago.

Every year I seem to be a little more fanatical than the previous. I dont see that changing being in the B1G.

Love being a Duck fan. Now I have Wash, USC, tOSU, Wisky, Mich, PSU to look forward to. Going to be a blast game week of all of these match-ups.

Life and football got better today IMO. Recruiting will be more exciting as well. 

Go Ducks!

• Applause 1

This is true from James Crepea...

"Football is getting ton of focus, but Oregon getting to play Indiana, Purdue, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, etc. in basketball is huge. UO will also immediately be among top teams in B1G in baseball, softball and volleyball."

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Question. Currently, with PAC 12 network I get every football game. Living in Eugene, am I going to get that level of service still?

• Let’s hope! 1

B1G Network.

At least on DISH, last time I checked.

Yup, DTV, DISH, Fios, Comcast, and about 300 other cable providers

Edited by woundedknees
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Looks like we will be getting that promised home game with tOSU after all. Then more rounds of the same. And playing Wisconsin in some venue other than the Rose Bowl. When you look back at the Oregon v B1G match ups in the last 15 years, there have been some great games, with the Ducks ending up on top in most of them.

As far as the new expanded playoffs go, to see the B1G and SEC put 4 or even 5 teams in each year is not a stretch. Oregon will be a good bet most years. As a born and bred west coaster, with extended stops at Cal, Arizona and finally Oregon, I hate to see the PAC die. But survival dictated this move as did the SoCal schools breaking ranks. And as far as U$C goes,  karma sure is a beach.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon representative calls for panel to look at 'unintended consequences' of Ducks' potential move

One Oregon representative is calling for a legislative panel to look at and “understand the unintended consequences” of Oregon’s potential move away from the Pac-12. That comes on the heels of Friday’s report that the Ducks — along with Washington — are expected to leave the league to join the B1G.

According to a Friday statement, Oregon representative Shelly Boshart is worried that state taxpayers “could be at risk” with the future of the Pac-12 currently uncertain. Boshart called for House Speaker Dan Rayfield to convene a legislative panel to take a look at the unintended consequences.

“As a graduate of Oregon State and as a representative of a district that houses many OSU students, I am deeply concerned about the impacts on our state university system if the University of Oregon decides to leave the Pac-12,” writes Boshart.

“There are many unanswered questions about what these moves mean for Oregonians beyond just the end of one of the nation’s longest-running rivalry football games. If one of our major universities is going to make a unilateral decision that could impact Oregon’s budget, we should at least understand the full impacts. At the most, the people’s representatives should have a say.”

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Oregon representative wants a full look at the potential ramifications of the Ducks looking to leave the Pac-12.

On 8/4/2023 at 2:09 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Looks like we will be getting that promised home game with tOSU after all. Then more rounds of the same. And playing Wisconsin in some venue other than the Rose Bowl. When you look back at the Oregon v B1G match ups in the last 15 years, there have been some great games, with the Ducks ending up on top in most of them.

As far as the new expanded playoffs go, to see the B1G and SEC put 4 or even 5 teams in each year is not a stretch. Oregon will be a good bet most years. As a born and bred west coaster, with extended stops at Cal, Arizona and finally Oregon, I hate to see the PAC die. But survival dictated this move as did the SoCal schools breaking ranks. And as far as U$C goes,  karma sure is a beach.

My thoughts to the 'T'. Well said!

It’s a sad day for a West coast college sport fan. I was hoping that the PAC could land a TV agreement that was at least on par with the Big XII and stay afloat. The Apple deal carries too much risk for the future of Oregon athletics, with the lack of linear TV coverage for exposure (e.g., recruits, pollsters, fans).

I’m not sure that this new college athletic landscape is sustainable. Geography does matter. Hopefully Cal and Stanford will be added to the B1G to form a west coast pod in the not too distant future. 

• Thumbs Up 3

One observation....for all the modern journalistic tech platforms and hot-take insiders, the UO clearly planned this methodically and caught the "twitterati" largely by surprise.  A case study for the digital media class in the J-School I would think?

On 8/5/2023 at 5:55 AM, Charles Fischer said:

This is true from James Crepea...

"Football is getting ton of focus, but Oregon getting to play Indiana, Purdue, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, etc. in basketball is huge. UO will also immediately be among top teams in B1G in baseball, softball and volleyball."

Michigan basketball is finally going to have to come to Eugene, Oregon. LOL. 

On 8/4/2023 at 1:36 PM, Charles Fischer said:

6507046a-2545-4b88-a12d-9dfa886b7b02-png

d635d63d6ada5af04902a4e10ec691bc--class-

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2023 at 2:47 PM, Log Haulin said:

I remember the sadness and loss I felt when Weyerhaeuser gobbled up Willamette Industries. Now the FOX and ESPN take the Pac.

On 8/4/2023 at 3:01 PM, woundedknees said:

B1G Network.

At least on DISH, last time I checked.

Yup, DTV, DISH, Fios, Comcast, and about 300 other cable providers

Finally! The PAC Networks curse is almost over!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

B1G mistake!!  Reduces chances of getting to a football playoff IMO.  Softball players hate it and I expect the other non-revenue sport athletes do too.  Kicking tradition and history and regional rivalries to the curb for MUCH less than $10 M a year is a panic-driven act of cowardice.  We will regret this day and deserve to be reviled by OSU and WSU fans. 

Don't see anything good about this at all.  Not for football or any other sport.  This decision was supposedly made for the long-term but I suspect college football will be so different 20 years from now I don't see how anyone can foresee that future. 

I guess I'm the only one with this opinion on OBDF but I hope it's okay to disagree.  I hate it!!

• Mic drop 1

Disagreement is good; we learn from each other.  Thanks for posting.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I will respectfully disagree with Cacker guy. I do not really think we had a choice after the University of Spoiled Children and UCLA left and then Colorado and AZ.  Although nothing is substantiated that I know of, I believe the difference will be much more than 10 million over the next few yrs and longer.  I am not down on the idea of streaming at all, but the PAC really blew it to be in this position. 

I do not really care nor believe that we deserve to be reviled by anyone over the other schools bailing and creating this problem along with the failure of Pac itself in its business model and managing of the conference.  Oregon waited until the last moment for the long expected paltry media agreement.  Most all of us would have preferred the pac 12 stay intact and run like a good business.  Tradition and history were already kicked to the curb and Im glad Oregon has the courage (not cowardliness) to do what it and Phil Knight think is best for the future.

Personally I hate that we were put in this position but happy we have an option which leaves of financially viable and in the power 5 to compete for play offs.

Time will tell and it's always ok to have a different of opinion.

It does suck that money is the all and all in this world.  Too bad college sports are not still regional in a lot of ways, but it is what it is.

At 74 years old, I do know what I do not really know but only that which my experiences lead me to believe.

Go Ducks!!

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/4/2023 at 11:25 PM, Jemangi said:

Time will tell and it's always ok to have a different of opinion.

It does suck that money is the all and all in this world.  Too bad college sports are not still regional in a lot of ways, but it is what it is.

Great post, Jemangi.  I hope you are right!  Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

I might be the only one who thinks this, but here goes.

I'm sick of the crocodile tears shed by sports journalists like Canzano, Orem, Fentress, Meek, Crepea, etc. over the Ducks selling out OSU, $10 of extra church group parking fees at Wazzu, and the rest of the PAC for a 'few dollars' of media revenue. Like any of them would turn down a big payday to jump from a smaller west coast media outlet to a national position with CBS, Fox or ESPN to further their own careers.

They need to write a story and it's legit to mourn the passing of the PAC given it's rich sports history. It's their job and for the most part they do it pretty well. I lament what has transpired having been a Pac8/10/12 fan my entire adult life. But to lay this at Oregon's feet after the hamstringing that U$C and UCLA delivered to the conference is disingenuous. Champagne Larry and some enabling university presidents ran it into the ground, not Phil Knight.

The same crowd that applauded NIL and giving some payback to players should have a hard time keeping a straight face when proclaiming that Oregon is cynically chasing the dollars by making the only sensible move available: Joining the B1G. The dollars to support all college athletics has to come from somewhere. 

College football is big, big money. How the heck else do you come up with a contract so lucrative and ironclad that you put a 20 million dollar buyout provision in it so some other institution can't pilfer your HC away without real pain. The media, fan bases, broadcast providers, and the advertisers and donors that float the boat have injected an insane amount of cash and drama into the process. Is it any surprise that we have ended up here?

There, got it off my chest. In the end I just want to see Oregon thrive. Maybe win a national championship under DL. Watch the next Sabrina and the WBB team defeat another team USA. See the men in another Final Four. Maybe go to Omaha to cheer Waz and crew. 

Don't blame Oregon for doing what they had to do.

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2

On 8/4/2023 at 8:39 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

One observation....for all the modern journalistic tech platforms and hot-take insiders, the UO clearly planned this methodically and caught the "twitterati" largely by surprise.  A case study for the digital media class in the J-School I would think?

Somewhat hate to say it but Fox played this perfectly. Purloined the LA schools and then waited and did not bid against itself before picking up the 2 best Pac-10 schools in Oregon and UW at a discount. Capitalism is not for the faint of heart and Elite Club karma is a witch.

image.thumb.gif.f747c001be53886501b7e828a9090eba.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

It's behind a paywall but Stewart Mandel of The Athletic (well worth the cost for this article and the coverage of CFB coast-to-coast), has the best article I've read on the demise of the Pac-12. Including this nugget: The B12 hired 2 big-time media PR firms to help with the engineering of B12 expansion. GK hired a boutique media consulting firm to help with media negotiations. The CEO of the firm was GK's classmate at UVA Law School. 

Can't Make This Stuff Up!

image.gif.aefb7ccc0b9a8a75e110145165c50842.gif

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Yikes! 1
  • Wow 2

After giving this a lot of thought for 2 days, I will say I don't see where Oregon had a choice but to go.

Having said that I just cannot stand the thought of the Ducks leaving the pac, arm in arm with the Huskies. I hate the Huskies so bad that I cannot pull for the Seahawks or Mariners because they are from Seattle. I went to a Mariners game wednesday in my Duck gear and pulled for the Red Sox.  I am not looking forward to playing the Purdues, Northwesterns, Iowas- they just don't mean enough to me.

I think that playing clear across the country half the time will have an adverse affect on a lot of our sports teams. I do think the regional rivalries are going to be sorely missed.

just my .02 cents

• Thumbs Up 1