Utki

How To Improve Bland Fan Experience At Oregon Football And Basketball?

After watching Wisconsin and other schools'  ways of getting everyone hyped pregame or during timeouts I am again struck by how utterly bland and tired almost every aspect of the U of O's fan interaction happens to be.  Of course, I like Shout (though the timing at basketball games is often poorly thought out)  but other than that it seems hopelessly outdated and low rent cookie cutter.  

Any suggestions on what we might use as our pregame hype song or what else to improve the fan interaction?  Or maybe I am just an old fart.

On 9/8/2023 at 10:46 AM, Utki said:

After watching Wisconsin and other schools'  ways of getting everyone hyped pregame or during timeouts I am again struck by how utterly bland and tired almost every aspect of the U of O's fan interaction happens to be.  Of course, I like Shout (though the timing at basketball games is often poorly thought out)  but other than that it seems hopelessly outdated and low rent cookie cutter.  

Any suggestions on what we might use as our pregame hype song or what else to improve the fan interaction?  Or maybe I am just an old fart.

I think you might be right…?

• Haha 1

Are you referring the the Wisconsin "jump around"?

The single dumbest thing I've seen at a CFB game, ever.

• Wow 1

I tend to have a blast through all 4 quarters when in Autzen. (And pre/post game too!)

We each have our own experiences.

Having said that, I wouldn't be opposed to some added new traditions. Anything that builds upon, imo, one of the best GameDay experiences I've had the pleasure to attend, is good in my book. 

Mostly, though, what I want to experience, is winning! Obviously the games are a whole lot better when your team is piling on the points. (Imo)

Opinions vary, though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Free alcohol?

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/8/2023 at 12:39 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Free alcohol?

THAT will enhance the fan experience!

The 1st half would be fun, but I think it would go downhill quickly! 🤪

• Cool 1

I've thought for several years that they need to mic up the Harley. It's scientific fact that a rythmic, throbing Harley is more pleasing than a screeching chainsaw. We've got a great sound system, make that Harley rumble and roar at highest volume. 

What happened to "I Love My Ducks"? I liked the video and I've still got the t shirt. I wore it last week to the game as a matter of fact. I love "Shout",(Time to up date the Athletes and Celebrities dancing) and "I'm Coming Home". I get emotional in my throat every time the chorus comes up. 

It's great that Autzen finally got it's Duck statue on a bench that makes a good photo op. Now we need an oversize. intimidating, fierce "Fighting Duck" overlooking the visitors locker room.  

Resized_20230902_105736001.jpeg

Resized_20230902_105507.jpeg

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/8/2023 at 1:22 PM, Red Eddy Green said:

... I love "Shout",(Time to up date the Athletes and Celebrities dancing) and "I'm Coming Home". I get emotional in my throat every time the chorus comes up. 

I love both those songs between quarters too!

If the marching band would play, you know, a march at half time, I'd love that also.

As for timeouts,  I usually take that time to hit the concession stand and/or the restroom!

• Applause 1

At some basketball arenas, home team fans stand for the tip-off and don't sit down until their team scores. It's a simple thing, but it allows us to "participate."

• Thumbs Up 1

Everyone in my group likes how we honor a veteran and a cancer survivor at each home game. It is also enjoyable when other Oregon athletic teams are introduced at the football games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yup. Time to honor some of the other sports to get the Autzen crowd in a frenzy. First, certainly a collage of past Oregon football players that switches images to their pro teams: Justin, Jevon, Penei, Deommodore, Ugo, Noah, VM3, etc..

And for heaven sake, get some footage of PP3 and others like Brooks and Duarte. Then Sabrina, Ruthy and Satou crushing Stanford the year Oregon WOULD have won the national championship.

I think the decision to have a DJ at the basketball games and now the football games is part of the problem. I would rather have the band play and the cheerleaders lead the fans in a GO DUCKS! cheer instead of the DJ screaming into his microphone. Kiss cams, dance cams etcetera might be fun but they do not get the crowd involved with the game. It seems like the university has forgotten that fans come to the games to be entertained by the action on the court and field. At least that is why I go to the games.

So my suggestion would be to eliminate the DJ and reduce the amount of blaring recorded music. This would increase the amount of time that the band and cheerleaders can get involved with fan interaction during timeouts. I would think that the band and cheerleaders would enjoy having a captive audience during timeouts instead of an audience that is watching the big screen and listening to recorded music.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

Been to hundreds of pro basketball games.

Most of the atmosphere during timeouts and between periods is very contrived at those games. While some of the results can be entertaining…two guys fighting over a cheap tee shirt that is tossed into the crowd…most of it didn’t really add to my fan experience. 

Personally, I love attending sporting events for the spontaneous reactions from the crowd to what is actually happening on the field, or court. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks for all the replies.  I am now certain I am an old fart.

Mike up the Harley for while the Duck is doing pushemupz?

Let the band play! Save the canned music and fan entertainment for the pro’s.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Might I suggest a burning effigy of the opposing team's mascot?

(ps: just kidding....)