Charles Fischer

Lanning's New Catch-Phrase: 'The Standard'

Coach Lanning has been bringing up this phrase only in the last few games, and in today's Eugene morning paper--he referred to the goals of the team versus Stanford were, 1) win the game, and 2) play to "the Standard."

I love how he is raising the bar of expectations for the team of player performance--and this is a visible step to trying to establish what he had in Georgia.  Reference made often is how the opponent is the same each week, and it is OREGON.  Again, he is trying to extract consistent maximum performance from the players.

It is easy to get up for the big games, but you cannot allow the teams you should beat to ruin your season, as was common with the prior coach.  I've noted also that he has not really had a "theme" or slogan of any type until now.

Why?

Because last year's team was so far away on defense from what he wanted!  The standard had not even been set; now with superb secondary performance and a massive step up in pass-rushing...we see a glimpse of where he wants to take this defense.

What do you think of "The Standard?"

This QB cannot "Duck" what is next...

Sanders is a dead duck from Evan Williams_Screenshot from ESPN Video.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Well, if the "standard" is anything like we saw against Colorado I'd say terrific!  If the Ducks can maintain that (let alone improve it) against better teams than Colorado going forward then Lanning has worked his miracle that we all have been hoping and waiting for.  

Mic, I believe DL's vision is to always improve that standard. We have only completed four games this season. Potentially, we have another nine games and possibly as many as eleven more games. It would be a waste and shameful not to appreciably become better in all areas for each game; to improve, and then build on that improvement. And, what/who might be our worst enemy? Complacency, satisfaction, and OREGON.

I hope I am wrong, but I can imagine that Stanford game being a lot tougher than we want to believe it will be. DL is not taking them for granted.

Thanks to you and Charles Fischer, and VR, KCDuck1

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2023 at 9:55 AM, KCDuck1 said:

And, what/who might be our worst enemy? Complacency, satisfaction, and OREGON.

Somehow I just don't see complacency ever being much of a factor with a Dan Lanning coached team.  At least, we haven't seen that yet.  If it ever happens, I'd be willing to bet it becomes a one-off quick!  In other words, not happen again.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

The Standard is to bring your A plus game on every play. Play clean and execute at a high level.

Every player on the roster knows that Coach Lanning will play 22 freshmen/walkons if necessary.

IMHO, level to meet The Standard will increase each week......

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

Oregon has been accused of being soft, complacent in the past. At times it has even looked to be true.

The Mecca that is the Oregon athletic complex has been pointed to as a reason. That Uncle Phil has pampered this progr'm and the unintended result is a soft team.

Lanning himself might even have thought that privately. If true, it appears DL has decided to change that narrative.

Chip Kelly had "Win the Day". Dan Lanning has coined "The Standard" to communicate his vision as the Head Coach.

That standard is starting to take shape. Ducks have been tested by TT, developed grit. Dominated the line of scrimmage, elite power. Locked down talented recievers, elite focus and concentration. 13 sacks, aggression. 

Dan Lanning lives by this standard. It is what rocketed him up the coaching ranks. It's what drew elite coaches under his leadership. 

His players see this, They see that it isn't  merely lip service. The faith these players have in this coach is without question. It showes up in their play on Saturdays.

The standard has this team playing fast, aggressive and focused. Last weekend Ducks ignored the noise, took what they needed from it and destroyed their opponent. 

"The Standard" seems to have many layers. Depth and weight.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Competing at a high level on a national basis is difficult at best. For example, college track and field has measurable standards that must be met to qualify for nationals. You don’t meet the standards, you simply do not compete at the championships. 

Standards for playing football on Saturdays also need to be met. However, at times, the standard for playing football may not mean that the best athletes are always on the field.

Players need to compete and qualify within the structure of the team, and keep their emotions in check during the heat of battle.

Not always as measurable as track and field standards. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m enjoying OBD forum in Seoul Korea this morning. When I glanced at the games on tap for this weekend I noticed Georgia is on a 22 game win streak. My thought was, “You don’t play and win that consistently without playing to your own standard.” Then, lo and behold, Mr Fishduck draws attention to DL’s mantra of playing to our standard! Couldn’t agree more.

Grateful for OBD forum!

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I like it, one has to keep it simple and understandable to really have people follow a tagline. If Lanning grabs 'The Standard' as his, then I approve.

We had probably the worst, 'Do Something' and fortunately that meant leave after one season.

We then had a guy who said 'what do you mean what's my slogan,' and we learned there really wasn't a real plan other than empty words like 'juice' and maybe 'bring it.' What we were left with was sour juice he had brought, left and now cleaned up by Lanning.

For now CK's 'Win the Day' is the greatest, but that is because the outcome has so much meaning to all of us who lived through that period.

Let's hope 'The Standard' grows in meaning to become recognized as the definition for winning, not just the day, but it all! GO DUCKS, Go Coach Lanning!

I have not paid any attention to Bruin Football, but I cannot help but wonder if he took that slogan of “Win the Day” with him to UCLA?

Or was that simply an Oregon thing?

Mr. FishDuck

I have been thinking about this, and I am sure DL and crew don’t look at betting lines, but I bet they think about the games with the same analytics.

What should the score be based on trends.

That becomes “the standard” to beat. It’s not the opposition we’re beating, but our own performance against the oppo.

And so far this year, OBD are 4-0 ATS.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

From the derecruiting process, to Oregon vs Oregon, to 1A & 1B, to connection, the Standard reaffirms those foundational messages DL tells his team: look in the mirror; that’s where it all begins.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another line I've picked up on is the opponent... 

Every day and every week Oregon is playing Oregon. It goes to the standard but is definitively bent towards growth and self improvement. 

Sure everyone knows they are play Stanford today and they watched Stanford film. But they need to play against themselves and meet their standard. 

Kinda a new take on Chip's faceless opponent. The ducks know who the opponent is every day... it's themselves. 

• Thumbs Up 1