Charles Fischer

Non-Oregon Games to Discuss--Join Us!

Our good friend, Log-Haulin started a great thread earlier about the other games out there today, so let's continue the discussion here!

(I locked the other thread as it was getting long--so let's keep track of those other games in the this new thread)

Mr. FishDuck

Got an upset alert, late in the 3rd Auburn 17 Georgia 10. Auburn D is playing strong. 

• Wow 2

Georgia looking ho-hum against a one dimensional Auburn that lacks any pass game. They will probably pull it out against the Tigers, but it's a war of attrition and this sure doesn't look like last year's Dawgs. 

And, oh my, where will U$C find a defense? Can Texas hold off a flatland basketball power in Kansas that has discovered there are sporting balls that aren't round?

Only the cream of the B1G looks good today so far.

ASU gets a stop on 4th and goal. 2:50 to play down 3. Gotta go 99 yards. Dilly Dilly

On 9/30/2023 at 2:57 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Georgia looking ho-hum against a one dimensional Auburn that lacks any pass game. They will probably pull it out against the Tigers, but it's a war of attrition and this sure doesn't look like last year's Dawgs. 

And, oh my, where will U$C find a defense? Can Texas hold off a flatland basketball power in Kansas that has discovered there are sporting balls that aren't round?

Only the cream of the B1G looks good today so far.

Yeah Georgia is not looking that great today... tie game in the 4th... that's dangerous. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Az playing Fusky tough

Fuskies only up 28-17 in the 4th and AZ just had a defensive stop.

Penix is quick and accurate with his passes. But I'm really impressed with the Arizona squad. They are a feisty and capable bunch. Don't anyone sleep on them.

• Thumbs Up 1

UGA has not looked great through 5 games. The fallacy with the polls especially early on in the season is too much weight is placed on the past. Not enough weight is given to the current season's performance against teams that are not thin air.

Based on the record and SOS to date, the top 3 could be:

1. Texas - Win at Bama keeps looking better. Beat down of top 25 Kansas on Saturday. Blow out win at Baylor. Big game next week vs. undefeated Oklahoma. 

2. FSU - Helped by Clemson's big win at Syracuse but dinged by LSU's shoot-out loss at Ole Miss. 

3. Penn State - With 4-1 W VA's win at TCU on Saturday, the Penn State win over the Mountaineers is looking better. A complete evisceration of Iowa last Saturday.

UGA #1? Based on the last 2 seasons' triumphs and nothing on the field, other than all-world Brock Bowers, to date in 2023. Next week's game in Athens vs. what will be a ranked Kentucky team could be very interesting.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 2

Every criticism of the Dawgs' performance today that I read above has some legitimacy. Clearly the defense is no where near as dominant as in the past two years, especially as we lost five 1st round defensive linemen to the NFL over that period. I will also point out that we have a lot of front 7 people either out or slowed noticeably by injury and that things may improve with the return of full return of these players. There has never been a period in Kirby's now 7-season history where the injury bug has been so apparent. Georgia has only one scholarship running back at present that is fully healthy.

As for today, Auburn is a notoriously hard place for road teams, and Georgia was affected by the crowd early. This was Carson Beck's first road start  anywhere and I thought he kept his poise admirably, even after three turnovers. In fact, he was money down the stretch, extending drives and being smart enough to go to one of the very best players in all of college football, Brock Bowers, when all the marbles were on the table. I am hoping Beck grew up today. 

I was always of the opinion that Georgia was going have to claw like hell and continually improve throughout the season to put themselves in position to defend the titles that have come their way. I was actually encouraged by the struggle back from adversity and the grit that I saw in the 4th Quarter today. And the Dawgs face a giant test next week against an undefeated Kentucky that has flown under the radar and will surely be ranked after dismantling Florida today. This game will answer a lot of questions about Georgia's further prospects this year.

So let's get it on for week 6 and see  what happens!!!

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

Too bad they don’t give Heisman Trophies to TE’s. Bowers is certainly worthy.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nevada Dawg and other Real Dawg fans on OBDF, you are correct that the team showed 4th quarter grit and determination.

Congrats on a critical come from behind victory. That victory could very well bond and jell the 2023 squad and shape their identity.

Our Ducks have certainly improved since their 4th quarter, come from behind win against TT. Winning in a hostile environment against a physical team builds confidence.

It cannot be easy to have the pressure of a 3 peat on your shoulders. Especially playing in the 2nd best football conference in the land behind the vanishing PAC 12.

So much is riding on each game. Its important for the Real Dawgs to get to the CFP. They have a date with an entirely different Oregon Duck team.

Fun to dream.......

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Looking around the CFB Nation on Saturday, I couldn't help but think of old takes regarding the P5 conferences that now, for the most part, ring hollow.

ACC - The ACC is a basketball conference. Coming into Week 5, 6 ACC teams were undefeated with FSU ranked in the top 4.

B1G - The B1G is slow. After the top 3 B1G teams, this still has more than an element of truth. But watch out this Saturday when an athletic 5-0 Maryland team and Tua's kid brother visit Ohio State. Coming into this game The Terps have the edge at QB.

B12 - No team plays defense in the B12. They are both leaving town but to date, both the Texas and Oklahoma Ds have been salty. Should be a great Red River Rivalry Game, with GameDay in town, this Saturday. (Thank you Texas Tech for coming back against Houston and winning the game without Tyler.) 

Pac-12 - Is soft! OK, USC is soft (Grinch must have photos) but on the whole, the Pac-12 is balling out this season. Arizona held Penix to ZERO TDs Saturday night and the Arizona game at SC this Saturday could be interesting. 

Oregon - CU 199 total yards of O. USC - CU 564 total yards of O.

SEC - Plays a brand of defense like no other in the history of the sport! 

Ole Miss - 55 LSU - 49. 1,343 total yards of offense.  And the game did not go into OT. 

Ironically, it could be an O-challenged team, Alabama, with a D that could carry it to the 2023 SEC title. The Tide's game at A+M this Saturday should tell us a lot about both teams.

Other games of interest while Puddles takes a nap -

Notre Dame 4-1 (Mike Elko, you are smash-mouthing ND and you drop 8 on 4th and 16?) at 5-0 Louisville.

Kentucky at Georgia - Auburn put up a lot of rush yards vs. UGA and Kentucky comes calling after running roughshod over Florida. But UGA has Superman a/ka/ Brock Bowers on its side. 

Washington State at UCLA - Can the Little 2 and 3 stars keep it going about as far from the Palouse as you can get?  

As Stewart Mandel wrote Saturday night: I could not say this without a smirk before but I can honestly say that in 2023 the Playoff race is wide open.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Go Ducks! 1

As an after thought: penalties helped Kentucky upset Florida.  There were at least two lost chances for TD's early for Florida and the Wildcats did the rest.  Penalties, penalties, penalties.... the great wildcard in any aport.