Charles Fischer

What a Bizarre First Quarter!

I have to salute them, as Stanford played Oregon perfect in the first quarter. Only two three and outs in the first quarter for Oregon? The way the ‘Furd blocked so well, drove down the field and burned up clock?  Whew!

Stanford played it perfect, but they could not keep it up, and Oregon was due to explode… as they did!

Weren’t you beginning to get a little worried? Especially with the track record Stanford has for giving us trouble in the past?

Was I the only one starting to get uncomfortable?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Oregon came out lethargic and slow. Hats off to Lanning and the coaching staff. They got it turned around and completely shut Furd down.

Thats a mark of a great team. One more feather in their cap. These experiences will be needed to draw on the rest of the season. 

• Thumbs Up 1

As soon as Lewis opening kickoff went out of bounds I was waiting, patiently, for the tide to turn, and wasn't liking it. 

It seemed inevitable, but my patience was wearing thin.

Nice test of Lanning's coaching ability, and showed he can turn things around.

• Thumbs Up 4

I was worried a little. Stanford was very well prepared, was playing very well, as well as they expected I think.

Oregon adjusted and methodically took the game over, by the end- entirely Oregon.

Under Cristobal we lost these games. Lanning has the Ducks prepared for them. I love it. 42-6 in a game that was very tough at the start, we were taken out of an entire quarter. 

I am looking forward to the rest of the season

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

While it was rather nice of the Ducks to spot Stanford the first 1/3 of the game (basically, the first 20 minutes), I really hope we don't try that again this year with anyone else. :classic_cool::classic_dry::classic_ohmy:

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Yikes! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

That first qtr. brought back some bad memories for sure. Thank Good Gosh cooler heads prevailed.

Definitely not good for an old man’s ticker for sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

It was old school Stanford football. Burn clock and slowly march down the field. 

Only thing it was missing was touchdowns instead of field goals. The defense stood strong in the end there. 

On the Duck side of things... that first three and out series I was frustrated they went for a deep shot on 3rd and 4 instead of trying to convert. After Stanford burned like half the first quarter on their opening drive it would have been better to keep the offense on the field longer. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/1/2023 at 11:15 AM, Just Ducky said:

That first qtr. brought back some bad memories for sure. Thank Good Gosh cooler heads prevailed.

Definitely not good for an old man’s ticker for sure.

I had to send the spouse out on an emergency Mylanta run!

• Haha 1

We dont need a bad first quarter up in Seattle-hopefully we wont see that again. Was I worried? YUP!!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/1/2023 at 8:52 AM, David Marsh said:

On the Duck side of things... that first three and out series I was frustrated they went for a deep shot on 3rd and 4 instead of trying to convert. After Stanford burned like half the first quarter on their opening drive it would have been better to keep the offense on the field longer.

This was also my main gripe for the game. Just get that first first down and build a little rhythm before going for it all. One does not tempt fate down on the farm where bad things regularly like to happen.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 10/1/2023 at 9:11 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

This was also my main gripe for the game. Just get that first first down and build a little rhythm before going for it all. One does not tempt fate down on the farm where bad things regularly like to happen.

Agreed.  Lanning may've underestimated Stanford just a bit.  

In my probably worthless opinion I think what happened to Oregon in that 1st Qtr and half of the 2nd was probably good for them.  It showed them what can happen when a lesser team comes prepared to play and they aren't off the mark.  And it showed Oregon that when they get their s__t together they are able to score on anyone.  Of course, they already knew that.  The defense is definitely improving.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just maybe the team was looking past Stanford for the Fuskies?

• Applause 1

Was I worried? Not at all.

What I was: like FishDuck said it above, I was very impressed with Stanford's game plan and their ability to execute it for 2.5 drives.

But, even after they scored twice, I knew that they didn't have a chance because they were only up by 6. One touchdown erases all of that.

All the Ducks needed was a couple of first downs... and the rest is history.

What was impressive was the Duck's ability to keep the Tree from scoring in the 4th quarter.

On 10/1/2023 at 2:33 PM, Jon Sousa said:

Was I worried? Not at all.

I wasn't worried as much as I was frustrated that the Ducks came out so cold and un-ready to play - and that it lasted for more than an entire quarter.

The fact that Stanford could only get two field goals never made the final outcome doubtful.  But it was still worrisome to see them playing so poorly early on.  Whatever the reason, it's got to be corrected and not happen again or the teams left on the schedule will be much harder to beat than they already will be.  I think everyone knows that, players and coaches alike. 

On 9/30/2023 at 9:52 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Was I the only one starting to get uncomfortable?

It was uncomfortable for sure.  But the play isn't why... Roxy & Lincoln were killing me with their narratives!