SmithRiverDuck

Can We PLEASE Bring On The Vitriol And Hate!

Ok, I managed to wait until it became game week. And then I waited an extra day. But I can wait no longer to talk about how much I hate the Washington Dogs!  That's the only sentence I'll ever write proclaiming ANY hate for ANY dogs. Well, only one sentence per year.

But I do. I hate those dogs.

Growing up I had only managed actual hatred for the Los Angeles Dodgers (but notice the dog in Dodgers). The reasons I won't explain here. Sure, I hated the Steelers for the Immaculate Reception, but my Raiders had plenty of glory since then (We won't talk about the last forty years). 

But then I met the Washington dogs.

Seriously, I could drone on and on about the myriad of reasons the leg lifters up north have given me to loathe them with all my being for the last 30 years, but that's what I'm hoping you all will do. Provide me with new and even more interesting reasons to wish nothing but the most vile of outcomes for the future of fusky futbol.......

P.S. The biggest reason I like our chances this weekend is that they can't (yet) ruin our season with a win. In fact, a close loss now and an avenging win in the Pac-? Championship makes for a really really juicy end to the season that would pretty much secure a spot in the CFP.

P.P.S.         TED BUNDY WAS A HUSKY

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Haha 1

I had a buddy of mine who's a Texas fan state that he sees Washington running away with this one easily... he says that he thinks Bo Nix is due for a bad game and this is it.. and that Washington will stop our run game and force us to pass, then pick us off twice and beat us by double digits. Literally told me that he just doesn't understand why anyone thinks Oregon has a chance and that there's absolutely NO WAY we win this game?!? Like, WHAT??

Those purple mutts up north haven't seen a team as talented, balanced, efficient, and physical on offense OR defense (one of only two teams that's top ten in scoring offense and defense, mind you) as they will when OBD roll into town. 

Oh, and my buddy? I made a bet with him. He'll owe me a steak dinner by the end of the weekend if it's a close game or if Oregon wins. 

Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Mic drop 1

On 10/10/2023 at 8:00 AM, CjAllen180 said:

I had a buddy of mine who's a Texas fan state that he sees Washington running away with this one easily... he says that he thinks Bo Nix is due for a bad game and this is it.. and that Washington will stop our run game and force us to pass, then pick us off twice and beat us by double digits. Literally told me that he just doesn't understand why anyone thinks Oregon has a chance and that there's absolutely NO WAY we win this game?!? Like, WHAT??

Someone has been listening to the Washington media hype too much. 

Washington couldn't stop Arizona's run game. 

If this is an outright no defense shootout I think Oregon could be in a bit of trouble. 

But I think Oregon's defense is going to be able to create some breathing space and the offense will have time to move the ball and score. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 10/10/2023 at 8:00 AM, CjAllen180 said:

I had a buddy of mine who's a Texas fan

Ask him if his opinion is influenced by his memory of when Joey turned his long horns into cows at the Holiday Bowl.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1

I had 5 ducks for laying eggs, much better than chicken eggs btw. Two of them were white Pekins. My niece had a Husky who would not leave them alone in their pool area. One day , one of the ducks was brooding. Which means she became very protective of her egg, she thought there was a duckling inside. The Husky tried going after her like usual, but on this 110 degree August day (in Arizona), the duck snapped back at her. Causing the husky to retreat. On that day, the husky got punked by the duck.

• Haha 3
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 10/10/2023 at 9:19 AM, Washington Waddler said:

Ask him if his opinion is influenced by his memory of when Joey turned his long horns into cows at the Holiday Bowl.

Or when the Ducks played Texas last and beat Texas in the Alamo Bowl (the non-cursed one and the only Alamo Bowl we shall speak of). 

I want to say Oregon's defense scored more than Texas that game. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It'll be very tough all right. And one never knows how a college game goes down.  But to think Oregon (or Washington) doesn't have a chance in this one is delusional.  Fan-delusional.  I'm guessing the Texas fan is still smarting from that loss to Oklahoma

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/10/2023 at 11:33 AM, Mic said:

It'll be very tough all right. And one never knows how a college game goes down.  But to think Oregon (or Washington) doesn't have a chance in this one is delusional.  Fan-delusional.  I'm guessing the Texas fan is still smarting from that loss to Oklahoma

He's definitely had a rough weekend lol

On 10/10/2023 at 11:19 AM, Washington Waddler said:

Not likely. We were in elementary school at the time. 😂😂

• Haha 1

The Texas fan thinks Washington is otherworldly since his team got killed by them in the Alamo Bowl. The reality is Texas was very average last year.

• Applause 1

On 10/10/2023 at 11:00 AM, CjAllen180 said:

Those purple mutts up north haven't seen a team as talented, balanced, efficient, and physical on offense OR defense (one of only two teams that's top ten in scoring offense and defense, mind you) as they will when OBD roll into town. 

Oh, and my buddy? I made a bet with him. He'll owe me a steak dinner by the end of the weekend if it's a close game or if Oregon wins. 

Go Ducks!

How much does your friend have down on the 'certain to win' Doggedey Dawgs? He does know that these Dawgs are not the Dawgs from Athens. GA., right?

This is not Auburn. Bo will not tank. The UW run D has been shaky to date and will not improve against one of the nation's top run teams when Puddles comes to town.

If the Ducks D can get pressure rushing 4 or 5, this is going to be a long day for Penix and for the UW hot shot WRs going up against a back 7 that can play pass defense better than Arizona plays pass defense.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/10/2023 at 2:00 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

The Texas fan thinks Washington is otherworldly since his team got killed by them in the Alamo Bowl. The reality is Texas was very average last year.

And Texas was Way Back vs. an OK team that it defeated by 40+ last season.

On 10/10/2023 at 12:44 PM, CjAllen180 said:

He's definitely had a rough weekend lol

Tell him to cheer up. This Saturday Texas is a heavy favorite to defeat Bye-Bye U. 

On 10/10/2023 at 1:19 PM, Jon Joseph said:

The UW run D has been shaky to date and will not improve against one of the nation's top run teams when Puddles comes to town.

That's what I said! But apparently nobody can run on Washington... or so I've been told.

My retort: Who have the purple mutts played that's even in the same class with Oregon running the ball? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Better help your friend before he turns into this!

BumHusky.jpg

• Haha 7

Mr. FishDuck

Ok, the huskies are the reason we have a middle finger. Insulting the huskies is really only describing them.

I actually am grateful for the huskies. I almost forgot to put the garbage out this morning, and then I remembered the huskies, grateful.

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2023 at 4:25 PM, Haywarduck said:

Ok, the huskies are the reason we have a middle finger. Insulting the huskies is really only describing them.

I actually am grateful for the huskies. I almost forgot to put the garbage out this morning, and then I remembered the huskies, grateful.

Thanks for the reminder... I need to put my garbage out tonight!

Never thought about it. But, my garbage does look a lot like Husky's hometown.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Husky downtown, a/k/a Mogadishu.

Great beaches but watch out for the sharks and rabid Dawgs.

• Haha 1

Can’t say that I have too many UDum fans in my list of contacts.

Early 80’s they traveled in droves to Autzen. They were obnoxious visitors. Acted like they would never lose another game. Then Don James got caught cheating and resigned over the sanctions the PAC 10 assessed his team. Ha ha ha ha….

I thoroughly enjoyed watching their decline which led to the ultimate 0 - 12 season of futility.

Truly a heartwarming story. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't know about vitriol, but I do know that I have Geritol hate! Mixed with Stoli, of course.

What was the 2nd thing?

• Haha 2

I dont hate the mutt Fusky players but that fan base is another story. 

In the immortal words of Frank Zappa---Watch out where those Fuskies go--Dont you eat that yellow snow.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hi all. I love this forum and read posts and comments often, but rarely post myself. I’ve been attending the UO vs UW rivalry in person as often as possible since 1987 and accumulated some great memories and witnessed some terrible behavior by fans – leading to my always increasing love of the Ducks and ever present and intense dislike of the Huskies. 

With the big game coming up Saturday, I am compelled to share some of those memories that you might find familiar and I hope entertaining.  

Best memories - theme: great times!

• Going with my dad to this game in Seattle while I was a student at UO (1988-1992). Sure, we lost, but with my dad now gone, these games take on much more importance and fond recollections. Side note, this rivalry was played four times in Seattle from 1989-1993 with UW winning all of them. Hmmm.
  •  
  • Beating the UW 12 in a row and, moreover, 20 of the last 27. Pick any of the 12 during the win streak. I attended many – both in Seattle and Eugene. You KNEW were going to win. Dawg fans barked….and we killed them anyway. Also, as a lifelong Seattle resident (except when at UO) those 12 years were BLISSFUL with zero Dawg BS, except on game days. PS – all it took was one win in 2016 and UW fans were back to their “we dominate you” attitudes. 
  •  
  • Being there in the mid-90s when UO won IN SEATTLE….twice! I was there in Seattle in 1995 when we won. At the time, this is something I thought I’d never see. I was also in the end zone area in 1997 when Akil Smith hit speedster Pat Johnson for a massive TD in the win in Seattle.
  •  
  • Being at the game in Eugene when the Joey Harrington-led Ducks beat the Marcus Tuiasosopo-led Dawgs in 2000. That year we topped UW, UW beat OS, OS beat us…setting up UW somehow getting the league title. But we beat them head-to-head!
  •  
  • Terry Obee reverse for the TD and win in Eugene in 1987. Am I right? I was there. 
  •  
  • That moment in Seattle (the one where UO wore all white maybe for the first time) when all the Husky fans missed the fake hand off by QB Dennis Dixon, cheered what they thought was a tackle of our RB at the line of scrimmage, then suddenly realized Dixon was running for big yards down the field. 
  •  
  • That time at Taylor’s in Eugene for breakfast before a mid-day game with my Husky friend when a young woman UO fan (student?) confidently sat at our booth and opened up a folder of pictures showing criminals who were UW students, players, or graduates. Her approach with my buddy of “As a UW fan, which of these UW criminals do you think best represents the Huskies?” as she flipped through pictures of Ted Bundy, Jeremy Stevens, Hope Solo, and more infamous dawgs was GENIUS. SO FUNNY! PS - to his credit, my buddy thought it was hilarious too. 

Worst memories – theme: unprovoked arrogance and aggression.

• Night game. Husky stadium. 1999. The one where Harrington replaced AJ Feely mid-game. Before the game, an insane crowd was inside the gates but not yet in the stands. My wife and I were working our way towards our section amongst the throng.  We were minding our own business, but certainly wearing green. Out of the hordes steps a 30-something guy dressed in a purple and yellow medieval kings robe and crown and carrying a cross with a rubber chicken (supposed to be a duck) crucified on it – painted green and yellow. With his angry eyes upon us and standing directly in front of us, he simply extended the cross towards us and screamed, “Fricken-YOU.!" Of course he didn't say "Fricken." Classy. 
  •  
  • Same game as above. In the stands and during the game, a Husky fan a section over clocked that I was rooting for the Ducks and started yelling and swearing at me. Again, so classy. Mind you, all I was doing was cheering. Not jeering anyone. After a couple instances of this, I replied to the guy with something pretty lame, but it seemed to work. I just yelled back something like, “Hey, I bet you didn’t go to UW. What was your major? What year did you graduate?” For whatever reason, that shut him up. 
  •  
  • Again in Seattle. Last game of the old Husky Stadium. Night game. Two situations unfolded one right after the other. Backdrop: we are GOING to win and did. While out on the concourse to get a hot dog (terrible at Husky Stadium by the way), all of a sudden I’m blasted in the back. Nobody was attacking me, but there was a fight right behind me and one of the participants was shoved my way and slammed into me. I turned around to see that it was about and saw three UW fans pushing around a UO fan.
  •  
  • I have no idea how that started, but all I saw was a three-on-one going down. Security arrived and moved all of them out. Right after that, I went to the restroom and while standing in line looked up the edifice of the stadium to see a really drunk middle-aged guy leaning over the parapet and shouting down at me genius things like, “win a Rose Bowl!” and “win a title!” and some choice swear words. Very drunk. I turned to the guy next to me and simply said, “You never want to be that guy – old, drunk, and yelling at people about football.” 
  •  
  • The game in 1988 was in Eugene. I was at the UO bookstore on 13th Street before the game looking to score some Duck swag. An older couple (late 60s, early 70s) decked out in UW gear was walking toward me in the crowded store. As they approached, I moved aside as a sign of, oh…I don’t know…just not being a jerk to old people. For my courtesy, I was treated to a snide comment. ”See, Duck fans know who’s boss.” Wow. Not sweary. Not even looking at me. Just a condescending comment for no reason. This cemented Husky arrogance in my mind forever. 
  •  
  • Lastly…and sorry fellow UO fans…this one was done by our side. The 2008 game was in Eugene. Night game. Me and a very good friend who is a UW fan went to Eugene for the game and hung out in the sun on the patio at Taylor’s all afternoon. Very fun and no crap given to my friend. But then, as people were starting to walk over to the stadium, two young UO fans (students?) came up and were really ugly and insulting to my friend. We did nothing to provoke. Nothing.
  •  
  • We shot back some mild retorts along the lines of “yeah, hope you have good game” or “have fun” hoping they would just go away. Guess what? They didn’t. It got worse as we continued to walk to Autzen. Lots of verbal abuse. Lewd too. We eventually convinced them that it wasn’t worth the effort they were putting out. They kind of knocked it off before the bridge over the Willamette and eventually walked ahead of us. This was just the warmup though. After we crossed the bridge, we came up upon a small group of UO students and one of them was a very big, very buff, and VERY drunk guy. Upon seeing me with my UW friend, he immediately wanted to fight me and him.
  •  
  • He said in a slurry voice and holding a 12 pack of beer in one hand, “You’re worse than them! You should not hang with Dawgs!” He wanted to fight and I was getting ready to defend myself. Luckily, this oaf had a girlfriend who was sober, or at least not as drunk. She pleaded with her “man” to back off and he listened to her. He yell/slurred some other comments at us and moved on. The girlfriend said to me, “Sorry about that. He gets that way when he drinks.”
  •  
  • Wow. I did not say anything but thought, “Girl, you need to get as far away from that guy as possible.” Sure, drunk youth and all, but it was also he an object lesson in what people are willing to say and do to each other over FOOTBALL.
  • Cool 1
  • Wow 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/11/2023 at 8:33 AM, SeattleDuck92 said:

“You never want to be that guy – old, drunk, and yelling at people about football.” 

Damn....

giphy.gif

• Cool 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/11/2023 at 8:33 AM, SeattleDuck92 said:

With the big game coming up Saturday, I am compelled to share some of those memories that you might find familiar and I hope entertaining.  

Thanks SD92, for some great, and not so great memories! My wife and I were at most of those Seattle games too. Maybe because we’re older, we didn’t get hit quite as hard as you, but lots of snarky, typical mongrel stuff that just rolled off our feathers.

Have to admit the best was hearing NOTHING from them during the Seattle section of the 12 game run, especially as they slumped out of the stadium during the 12th loss to our chant of, “12 more years! 12 more years!”

Thanks again for the memories!

• Thumbs Up 2

Here's my 2 cents worth:

I'm sure most Husky fans are nice and decent people.  But there's those in every crowd, usually fueled with booze, that are obnoxious and can be downright dangerous.  

Such was the case at last year's game in Eugene.  There were several Husky fans seated just in front of us near the 7-yard line. Two males in particular, drinking smuggled cans of beer, got drunk and the drunker they got the more obnoxious they became up to the point where a couple of times a fist fight almost erupted.  This despite being surrounded by Duck fans on all sides. 

No fight erupted, thankfully, but they did make one family with two small children leave the area and several others to move away.  No one came to take those vacated seats which I think made them even happier. My friend and I (with the support of two stout young men behind us) offered to throw them out - but Security told us not to even think about it. Of course, Security was right - but they did nothing either!!

Do I hate Husky fans? No, certainly not.  Do I loathe the behavior of some of them? Absolutely.  UW seems to be the school who's fans tend to get out of control the most.  By virtue of where our seats are located other schools often get seats here.  Never had a problem with any other school's fans.  Just UW's.  

I caution any Duck fans attending the game in Seattle to be very careful and prepared to be accosted.  May it never happen and may the Ducks take all the steam out of the UW fans with a sound throttling of the Huskies.  Go Oregon.

• Thumbs Up 3

I live in Beaverton. Some years ago, maybe 2009 or 10, there was construction on Hwy 217 (isn't there always!) and over the weekend some heavy equipment was left roadside. 

One of these was a big lift, that for security purposes I guess, was left in the full extended mode.

Sometime during the weekend, some husky fan climbed that thing and put a purple UW flag at the top.

Being the Duck fan I am, I was somewhat distressed by this.

But, on my way to work mon am, I noticed someone else had climbed up and spray painted 0 -12 on that flag!

One of the best am commutes of my life!!

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1

On 10/10/2023 at 3:35 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Better help your friend before he turns into this!

BumHusky.jpg

Indeed 😂😂