CountryProf

Updated AP Top 25, Coaches Poll Rankings for Week 10

APNEWS.COM

The official page for the AP Top 25 college football poll, a tradition since 1936. Keep up to date and view the...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

College football polls: Updated AP Top 25, Coaches Poll rankings for Week 10

WWW.SPORTINGNEWS.COM

Here's a look at the AP Top 25 and the Coaches Poll rankings following the results of the Week 9 games.

Now we just have to beat the Mutts.

• Let’s hope! 1

Pac-12 continues to have 6 AP-ranked teams (I pay no attention to the Sports Information Directors poll) along with the SEC.

UGA's schedule predicted to be a nothing-burger in the preseason is ramping up. 20. Mizzou, 11 Ole Miss, At 19 Tennessee, At a Georgia Tech team that kneeled on Miami, and beat a nose-diving UNC on Saturday.

We'll see what the Committee does on Tuesday. It's great to see Oregon as the highest-ranked 1-loss team in the Week 10 AP Poll but will the committee prefer Texas's win over Bama? 

2024 Playoff using AP, 5 champs, and 7 at large, accounting for realignment.

1. Georgia - SEC

2. Michigan - B1G

3. FSU - ACC

4. Oregon State - Mountain West

5. Ohio State vs. 12. Utah - B12

6. Washington vs. 11. Oklahoma

7. OREGON vs. 10. Penn State

8. Texas vs. 9. Alabama

5 B1G/ 4 SEC/ 1 ACC, B12, Mountain West

..........................................................................................................................................

Is Time a flat circle?

FSU? The Seminoles best win is a neutral site victory over 2-loss LSU, a team that plays suspect defense. Clemson? LOL! But the ACC is crummy (see the beat down of Louisville at Pitt) and Florida, FSU's final regular season opponent before the ACC champ game, looked bad against Georgia yesterday. It will not be surprising to see FSU finish 13-0.

One loss OREGON undressed the ACC's undefeated FSU, Jameis, and Jimbo in the first playoff game in the Rose Bowl. Might we see the same two teams playing in the Rose Bowl this season? Bring it on!

With Oklahoma's loss at Kansas yesterday, a 1-loss Pac-12 champion is a playoff lock. A 1-loss Pac champ will have a very good strength of schedule. But could be a 4-seed if UGA, Michigan/Ohio State, and FSU win out.

Edited by Jon Joseph

I am not liking the looks of this....there will be more undefeated and one-loss teams at the end than I care for the Ducks to compete with for getting into the Playoff.  Feels another way to screw Oregon again--even if we were to win out.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

@Charles Fischer For once, the Pac is getting respect. 

A 1-loss Pac champ will get in before a 1-loss B12 champ or a 1-loss non-champ. 

The B12 is nowhere near as good as the Pac, and it’s not even debatable.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Now who I'm worried about, as Florida State can skip through a weak ACC and go undefeated.  They're in.

Ohio State is the analyst's darling, while Michigan is the media favorite.  Both can/will get in with one loss over Oregon.

And then we have Alabama and Georgia....

giphy.gif

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/29/2023 at 11:56 AM, Jon Joseph said:

2024 Playoff using AP, 5 champs, and 7 at large, accounting for realignment.

1. Georgia - SEC

2. Michigan - B1G

3. FSU - ACC

4. Oregon State - Mountain West

5. Ohio State vs. 12. Utah - B12

6. Washington vs. 11. Oklahoma

7. OREGON vs. 10. Penn State

8. Texas vs. 9. Alabama

5 B1G/ 4 SEC/ 1 ACC, B12, Mountain West

..........................................................................................................................................

Is Time a flat circle?

On 10/29/2023 at 11:56 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Oregon State is not above Washington, Oregon, or Ohio State. They could win the PAC Who, but they have two bad losses on their pad now. With Oklahoma losing , it opens the door for a one loss Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, Washington, Oregon. If Oregon beats an undefeated Washington in another classic, you could get two PAC teams in. Washington has looked pretty beatable the last two weeks though. So here is the nightmare situation for PAC fans.

USC beats Washington.

Oregon State beats Washington

Utah beats Washington

Oregon State beats Oregon

USC beats Oregon

Realistically I can see Washington losing easier than Oregon. The only game that I would be nervous about for Oregon is that Beaver game. They would love nothing more than to send Oregon off to B1G land with two straight series losses. In the process costing the PAC a playoff check. 

Oregon is better than Texas, they're better than Florida State. They're better than Alabama. Better than Oklahoma. Before I saw Ohio State the last two weeks, I thought they were clearly better than them. But that team has a very physical imposing defense. Oregon has the better QB, so I might still give the Ducks the advantage over them.

To me it's Georgia, Michigan, Oregon/Ohio State, Washington.

That win over Utah on the road was the best win of the year imo. Just take care of the Beavers, and you'll make the playoffs. You're good enough to win the whole thing.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 10/29/2023 at 4:15 PM, GatOrlando said:

Oregon State is not above Washington, Oregon, or Ohio State. They could win the PAC Who, but they have two bad losses on their pad now. With Oklahoma losing , it opens the door for a one loss Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, Washington, Oregon. If Oregon beats an undefeated Washington in another classic, you could get two PAC teams in. Washington has looked pretty beatable the last two weeks though. So here is the nightmare situation for PAC fans.

USC beats Washington.

Oregon State beats Washington

Utah beats Washington

Oregon State beats Oregon

USC beats Oregon

Realistically I can see Washington losing easier than Oregon. The only game that I would be nervous about for Oregon is that Beaver game. They would love nothing more than to send Oregon off to B1G land with two straight series losses. In the process costing the PAC a playoff check. 

Oregon is better than Texas, they're better than Florida State. They're better than Alabama. Better than Oklahoma. Before I saw Ohio State the last two weeks, I thought they were clearly better than them. But that team has a very physical imposing defense. Oregon has the better QB, so I might still give the Ducks the advantage over them.

To me it's Georgia, Michigan, Oregon/Ohio State, Washington.

That win over Utah on the road was the best win of the year imo. Just take care of the Beavers, and you'll make the playoffs. You're good enough to win the whole thing.

Thanks. This is a prospective look at the 2024 season 12-team playoff field.

The top 4 highest ranked conference champs will have a bye. Hypothetical MW champ Oregon State ranked 16 in the AP, today would get the 4th seed and the bye over B12 champ Utah which is ranked 18.

Because of the seeding preference for the top 4 ranked conference champs, playoff rankings do not wholly sync with Week 10 AP rankings.

This is next season's ceiling walking and is not applicable to this season's final Final 4.

I agree with your points that the Pac-12 could cannibalize itself out of the playoff. 2L Utah, USC, and OR ST are not out of the conference race but are out of the playoff race.

UW if it finished 13-0, it is obviously in the Final 4. It hypothetically would be 1 of 4 undefeated conference champs along with Georgia, OH ST/MI, and FSU.  

A 12-1 UW, if not blown out in its 1 conference loss and with a Pac-12 title would be in. UW has 3 games remaining vs. currently ranked teams plus a 4th in the champ game. 

With 2 currently ranked teams left on the schedule, 3 wins against teams .500 or better, and a playoff statement win at Utah, Oregon as a 12-1 champ with a champ game win over a ranked team would be in. 

I do not see a situation where the 2 teams in the 2023 Pac-12 playoff game will not be ranked. But I can see UW suffering perhaps 2-losses and also Oregon losing another game which means no playoff for the Pac this season. 

But I do not see Oregon losing a home game. And I do not see Oregon losing at ASU. I do see Oregon winning the Pac-12 champ game and in the field with a 12-1 record.

Nationwide, it will be interesting. I see UGA and FSU going 13-0 and the winner of Ohio State/Michigan could do so. I do not see an 11-1 B1G runner-up knocking out a 12-1 Pac-12 champion. Without a win over Michigan Ohio State's SOS will be good but not far above 1L Oregon/UW. Michigan's SOS is terrible, 110 currently, and an 11-1 Michigan with not trump a 12-1 Pac-12 champ. 

Fasten your seat belt.

• Let’s hope! 1

On 10/29/2023 at 12:38 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Both can/will get in with one loss over Oregon.

I'm thinking nah.

Dave Bartoo on Canzano's podcast 10/18 broke down the formula and pretty much guaranteed a 1 L Pac 12 Champ gets in.  And that was before the B12 had a 1 L champ.

Don't win out, and we don't deserve it.

Best thing is that if we do win out, we DASH ewe dubs dreams and season. 

Not to mention, I like our healthy team against anyone right now.

GO DUCKS!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/29/2023 at 12:38 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Ohio State is the analyst's darling, while Michigan is the media favorite.  Both can/will get in with one loss over Oregon.

I respectfully disagree. 

There are only 3 top 25 B1G teams, so at best, a 1-loss non champ will have 2 top 25 wins.

A 1-loss Pac champ will likely have 4 top 25 wins.

• Applause 1

On 10/29/2023 at 11:44 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Now we just have to beat the Mutts.

Now, all we have to do is beat Cal, USC, ASU, and OSU... in order to have another shot at the Mutts. 

And I really like our chances. 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

Just win, baby!  😎

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/29/2023 at 2:47 PM, Desert Duck said:

Now, all we have to do is beat Cal, USC, ASU, and OSU... in order to have another shot at the Mutts. 

And I really like our chances. 

I dont think those teams are a problem but hey thats just me

On 10/29/2023 at 3:32 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I dont think those teams are a problem but hey thats just me

That's funny. Because I know that any one of those teams has the potential to be a problem.

Granted, if we continue to stay focused like we are right now, and we can mitigate key injuries, I'm looking forward to going to LV to watch us rock the Huskies world.

"With Oklahoma's loss at Kansas yesterday, a 1-loss Pac-12 champion is a playoff lock. A 1-loss Pac champ will have a very good strength of schedule. But could be a 4-seed if UGA, Michigan/Ohio State, and FSU win out.".

Likely a few too many games left to be played to be looking far ahead; but, it's pretty hard as a fan of a team (potentially in the mix) not to.

Obviously Florida State losing would be great but they look to be in a pretty good spot (with maybe Louisville looking like their CG opponent)?

So, I think it is Texas that Oregon fans really need to be worried about; and, tOSU beating Michigan would help too.

Georgia beats Alabama, FSU runs the table, tOSU wins the B10, leaves one spot.

If Texas wins the B12 and perhaps beats OU in a rematch, with their win over Alabama, I think a one loss Pac-12 champion might be left out.

I think a one loss Michigan, with a loss to tOSU would be out, with a pretty soft schedule, not winning their conference -- against two one loss conference champions (plus I would imagine some backlash fair or not from the selection committee due to the sign stealing thing). If it is a one loss tOSU, I think the outcome is similar (but not as assured).

While a one loss P12 champ may have a strength of schedule argument, a one loss conference champ Texas team beating Alabama and avenging their one loss to OU in their championship game I think would be hard for the committee to pass over a one loss Pac12 champion (especially if Oregon and Washington end up splitting two games -- don't have to even argue between the two if you just take Texas).

If the committee is going to have to leave out one -- one-loss conference champion, most likely it is going to be the conference that is vanishing. Plus Texas is still "blue blood" (still a thing in college football today).

All this said, with the number of games remaining, if Oregon keeps winning, I think they are in a good spot.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/29/2023 at 3:43 PM, Desert Duck said:

I know that any one of those teams has the potential to be a problem.

💯

I think DL, Nix, and crew all know this as well.

I think back to all the promising seasons dashed by upsets in November. 

So many of those losses seemed to happen when OBD ran out of gas. Getting rolled by the AZ run game in ‘13. UW and OSU last year.

With all our depth this year, I don’t see that happening. I could even see us winning with a backuo QB (not jinxing it).

• Thumbs Up 1

"I could even see us winning with a backuo QB (not jinxing it)."

Dr. H - Saying something like this is almost as bad as saying the name of the one who must not be named. 😉:classic_ohmy:

None of the top four AP poll leaders have as an impressive win as 7-0 Washington. So I question whether there is still a anti Pac bias or not. 

Only guarantee of a Pac team getting in is if Fusky runs the table and wins the conference title.

Chances of anyone else getting in is slim imo. Ducks lost control of their own destiny when they lost on Mont Lake. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/29/2023 at 4:36 PM, Log Haulin said:

None of the top four AP poll leaders have as an impressive win as 7-0 Washington. So I question whether there is still a anti Pac bias or not. 

Only guarantee of a Pac team getting in is if Fusky runs the table and wins the conference title.

Chances of anyone else getting in is slim imo. Ducks lost control of their own destiny when they lost on Mont Lake. 

If the Ducks win the PAC I think they will be in.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's another futuristic playoff take.

Because of the MONEY, in 2026, ESPN loses its exclusive broadcast rights and the Playoff expands to 16 teams, with a spot guaranteed for one G5 team (in the field below this would be presumptive Mountain West member Oregon State) but no seeding preferences for conference champions and no 1st round byes. 

This could work if all teams play the 1st game on what is now Week 0 and money, via NIL or otherwise, is paid to participating players. 1st round playoff opponents could be juggled to avoid 1st round rematches and conference members playing 1st round games against one another but with so many B1G and SEC teams in the mix there will be rematches as the playoff progresses,

16. Oregon State At 1. Georgia

9. Penn State At 8. Alabama

13. LSU At 4. FSU

12. Notre Dame At 5. UW

15. Louisville At 2. Michigan

10. Oklahoma At 7. Texas

14. Mizzou At 3. Ohio State

11. Ole Miss At 6. OREGON

4 B1G home games, UW, Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, and Penn State playing at Alabama.

Show Puddles the $!

I think some upsets will happen. 

OSU has the easiest road, but they do get an improved Rutgers on the road. They seem to play one flat game every year. 

Michigan plays Penn State and Maryland on the road before OSU. 

Texas has Iowa State and OK State (both one-loss teams) on the road, then Texas Tech at home. 

FSU has Mario's lads next week, a rivalry game against the Gators, and probably Louisville in their championship game. 

Three of Oregon's last four are at home, but the trip to the desert is always treacherous. 

I would be more surprised if the favorites win all of these games. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/29/2023 at 2:20 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Thanks. This is a prospective look at the 2024 season 12-team playoff field.

The top 4 highest ranked conference champs will have a bye. Hypothetical MW champ Oregon State ranked 16 in the AP, today would get the 4th seed and the bye over B12 champ Utah which is ranked 18.

Because of the seeding preference for the top 4 ranked conference champs, playoff rankings do not wholly sync with Week 10 AP rankings.

This is next season's ceiling walking and is not applicable to this season's final Final 4.

I agree with your points that the Pac-12 could cannibalize itself out of the playoff. 2L Utah, USC, and OR ST are not out of the conference race but are out of the playoff race.

UW if it finished 13-0, it is obviously in the Final 4. It hypothetically would be 1 of 4 undefeated conference champs along with Georgia, OH ST/MI, and FSU.  

A 12-1 UW, if not blown out in its 1 conference loss and with a Pac-12 title would be in. UW has 3 games remaining vs. currently ranked teams plus a 4th in the champ game. 

With 2 currently ranked teams left on the schedule, 3 wins against teams .500 or better, and a playoff statement win at Utah, Oregon as a 12-1 champ with a champ game win over a ranked team would be in. 

I do not see a situation where the 2 teams in the 2023 Pac-12 playoff game will not be ranked. But I can see UW suffering perhaps 2-losses and also Oregon losing another game which means no playoff for the Pac this season. 

But I do not see Oregon losing a home game. And I do not see Oregon losing at ASU. I do see Oregon winning the Pac-12 champ game and in the field with a 12-1 record.

Nationwide, it will be interesting. I see UGA and FSU going 13-0 and the winner of Ohio State/Michigan could do so. I do not see an 11-1 B1G runner-up knocking out a 12-1 Pac-12 champion. Without a win over Michigan Ohio State's SOS will be good but not far above 1L Oregon/UW. Michigan's SOS is terrible, 110 currently, and an 11-1 Michigan with not trump a 12-1 Pac-12 champ. 

Fasten your seat belt.

Sorry, I didn't see the 2024 part. I'm still too focused on this crazy season. Realistically I wish the twelve team format started this year. You could see some crazy first round matchups. Alabama vs Oregon(ten years late). Texas vs Ohio State(Quinn Ewers bowl). Oklahoma vs Penn State. Then it's a toss up, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Louisville, Oregon State, Ole Miss, Missouri, USC, Oregon State, Utah, North Carolina, Miami, Iowa, Tulane, James Madison, Kansas. 

I have Georgia, Michigan, Washington, and Florida State as the top four with byes btw. 

• Applause 1