OBE4ISU

Visiting Eugene for Game - What Else To Do?

Hello all, fairly random post here, but looking for some suggestions and advice.  A group of friends and I from the Midwest do an annual college football rivalry game trip and this year are coming out this weekend for the game against the Trojans.  

There are six of us, with the majority getting in mid-day today.  Will have a rental vehicle to get around and tailgate.  Hopefully will get back again sometime, but if we’re to assume this is our one and only trip to Eugene, what should we not miss?

We will typically tour campus, which we’ll probably do Friday, and it looks like there’s a basketball game Friday night so will likely hit that up too.

My questions essentially are:

- What are the other must dos/places to go/see (activities, entertainment, restaurants)?  

- Best restaurants (sports bars?)?

- Best bars (sports bars, dive bars, unique bars, both campus town and older adult crowd)?

- Best bet for tailgating for non season ticket/pass holders?  Are there passes we can pre-purchase Today/Friday?  Cash lots on game day?  What time do lots open Saturday?

Gameday/local traditions we should know about/observe?

Best places to get Duck gear?  Preferably Nike and looking for good leads on big man sizes (3XL Nike specifically, looks like flippers are re-selling some of that on eBay).  Also looking for the vintage Disney Donald Duck through the O logo apparel specifically somewhat as well.  

Appreciate any and all suggestions!  Go Ducks!

Welcome to Eugene.  I wish I could report you'll have good weather because Eugene in the Fall is lovely with all the changing fall colors.  But then, if you're from the Midwest you probably see that each year too.  Alas, it looks like it might be a bit wet & gusty.  Well, that's Oregon...

You've picked a great time to watch the Ducks play USC.  This is an old rivalry that, quite frankly, USC has the decided edge going back many years.  But recent decades have seen th Ducks win many more of those matchups.  This game is always big, but especially now that Oregon is sitting at #6 in the CFB and USC sporting the current Heisman winner.

I won't try to answer all your questions, I'm sure you will get responses from others.  While in town one one place you and your friends might want to check out is the Ninkazi Brewing 'Better Living Room' out in the Wittaker District off Blair Ave.  It's pretty unique for a Brew Pub.  But Eugene is full of craft beer pubs, you could spend a week visiting them and never get to all of them

Also, check out the topic at the very top of this forum, some Ducks fans on this blog are planning to meet Friday afternoon, evening in town.  You might have a great time meeting some of the fellows and the moderators of this forum.

Enjoy your visit!  And, we hope you are treated to a great performance by the Oregon Ducks!  GO MIGHTY OREGON!

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 1

See the Pinned Post at the top because at 6:15 PM Friday night will be a half-hour presentation about this year's team where we break down items to watch for. Guarantee you will learn something, and it is free.  See the top pinned post about the OBD Get-Together...

Duck fans in Lubbock_Screenshot from GoDucks.com Video.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

One quick thing to do is drive up to the top of Skinner Butte and get a nice view of the city.

For Duck gear, there are Ducks Stores at Valley River Center, at the bookstore on campus (13th and Kincaid), and next to Autzen. I think on game day gear is sold inside the stadium in the concourse area too.

Enjoy your visit!

If you can take a day trip, I would drive to Heceta Head near Yachats on the coast, and possibly stop for a chowder in Florence. That stretch of the coastline is beautiful. 

McKenzie Pass is spectacular, but it is closed for the winter. 

A drive beyon Harrisburg is also pleasant, but be careful not to drift too far north or you will end up in Corvallis. 

On 11/9/2023 at 8:16 AM, Annie said:

at the bookstore on campus (13th and Kincaid)

It's just a Duck store now with art supplies in the basement now. 

It doesn't have any books!  

I was with a high school group at UO last year and I found it so weird that there weren't any books on the top floor anymore. 

Most universities have moved to online book stores. 

• Oh no! 1
  • Wow 2

I would walk around campus. Many changes over the years.  Hayward field might be open. 

Just ask a few students what they would suggest as far as any bars are concerned. They will know…lol

A note on Mic's great comment.

OREGON vs. USC would be more of a rivalry if the teams played more often.

It's not as bad as Ole Miss at Georgia on Saturday for the 1st time since 2012, love those 8 game conference schedules, but the Ducks have not played the Trojans since the Ducks conference champ game win in 2020. 

This is due not only to Divisions, now gone, but also to the California Scheduling Agreement so SC fans could enjoy a trip to the Bay area every season.

Have a blast, attend Charles's soiree if at all possible, and GO DUCKS, BEAT SC!

FWIW - The Athletic's Stewart Mandel calls the game OREGON 56 and SC 28.

• Thanks 1

Kind words Jon. Thanks. 

I'm shaving this morning so I'll have my game face on by Saturday evening. I'm even rolling over and signing up for Fubo so I can watch the Ducks throttle Tommy Trojan live.  No animals (horse or otherwise) should be hurt in this throttling.  (Unless said horse tries to run thru the Duck D-line at the 4). 

What a game this one should be.

Edited by Mic

I typically start at The Beer Garden (on 6th) after a couple of pints off of their great tap list... I waddle over to the Ninkasi Living Room for a quick bite (and another pint). This experience will take you through what is called the Whiteaker neighborhood. It has a very Eugene feel to it. Might be a shock for Midwesterners.

If you're feeling a little more sophisticated you might want to stop by The Gordon (near 5th St Market). Great mixed drinks and a more modern feel in the lobby. There is also a bar on top (can't remember the name). But, it has a fun vibe to it as well.

Game day. Yes, there are pay lots for parking. Then just walk all the lots around the stadium. Tailgaters are friendly and welcoming (as long as your carrying your own beverages).

Swag. The Duck Store next to the stadium.

Have fun, be safe. Use a cab/Uber/or walk if needed.

... and Welcome to Oregon! GoDucks!

Rennie's Landing is the old traditional campus bar.

If you're into craft beer you should explore that scene, as Eugene is overflowing with good breweries. Oakshire, ColdFire, and Hop Valley are among those worth checking out, IMO.

I like to send visitors to Tacovore if you like street tacos - and that immediate area (Whiteaker) has a few fun little places to eat and drink.

5th Street Market and Alley is a fun area downtown with many eat/drink options as well (and has a Nike store there).

As for game traditions - "Shout" after the 3rd quarter is always a good time. And remember, it NEVER rains at Autzen Stadium.

Sounds like a fun tradition you have going. I hope you enjoy our little corner of the world.

Edited by bbmichaels

As mentioned visit Hayward Field, your first visual impression will be "It's Amazing". If it's open there is a great little track and field museum on the north east corner. South on Agate St is a pod of taverns and restaurants on 19th St. McMenamins, Studio One, Agate Alley ( they have a Bloody Mary bar on Sunday), Beppe & Gianni's Italian and pizza and others across the street.

Near Mathew Knight Arena to the east is The Wild Duck recently reopened and owned by an Oregon football player. Lots of UO memorabilia. South across Franklin Blvd is Track Town Pizza.

Around the corner from the Book Store is Rennies Landing a favorite student hangout. West on 13th is Max's Tavern a long time dive bar.  

Downtown is 5th St. Market, Walking distance to Autzen across the footbridge, There are food pods and interesting shops, across the street is the Market Alley. Nike Shop is on the corner. Wine and whiskey tasting in the shops and the best ice cream in town. Top of the Gordon Hotel is Carlita's Mexican. Go on line to get the password for the Speakeasy, look for the door marked janitor with the peekhole in the lobby. Hint, it's next to the bathrooms. Close to Steelhead Brewery and more eating establishments.

A few blocks away short walk from 5th St to Willamette and Broadway is Ken Kesey Square (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest). VooDoo Donuts, KIller Burger and half a dozen dive bars, a couple of good restaurants (Party Downtown and Davis) and lots of lost youth and transients. 

South on Willamette (driving distance) is The Beer Stien, large sellection of beer and good food. Across the street is Mac's at the Vet they have blues most nights but I just realized that you'll be at Fishduck Friday and the game Sat. 

Back track to 6th St (one way west) to the already mentioned Beer Garden, they are celebrating The Denver Beer Fest and serving many award winners from the northwest among their 42 taps. To night the intertainment is Greg Nessler Band, they're good.

To Blair Blvd, left to Falling SkyBrewery right to Ninkasi. A couple have mentioned the Ninkasi Living Room, but they don't read the news, it closed this week, but the tap room is open.   Fun old hippy neighborhood Tacovore and Nelson's for Mexican. Visit the Red Barn and Sam Bond hippy dives. 

If you stay in in Springfield after FishDuck head to 4th and Main. Planktown Brewery has a Ken Kesey mural, Public House is a properly repurposed church with stained glass, many taps and a Whiskey Bar and The Monkey Paw a Tiki bar has live music Friday night.

I type slow and the places that have been mentioned by others and me are the best. When in doubt Google. I think Portland and Eugene have the most beweries per capita in the US. 

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Listen to Red Eddy Green. He definitely seems to know the current seen better than most. He sounds spot on.

For everyone that adds to this thread--I am going to save this thread for those in the future who ask--and I can give them the link to this thread.

So it only has to be written once!

I am hopelessly devoted to...Ducks!

ONJ Hopelessly Devoted to You_YouTube.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Here's a video overview of Eugene.   For Midwesterners I always recommend the short trip west to the coast as noted above by an earlier contributor.  Or, in summer a trip east to the mountains.

But, this video may help you get your bearings.

• Thanks 1

HIRONSDRUG.COM

Looking for a local pharmacy with a personal touch? Hirons Pharmacy offers traditional quality service with modern-day conveniences. Try us today!

Great for Duck gear, close to MKA.  A second for the Tacovore recommendation. Hike Spencer’s butte.

Gateway Grill is a great place to post up and watch the earlier games of the day (lots of tvs) while throwing back some good food and drinks. Close enough to Autzen that it's a quick drive but far enough that you can usually get a seat no problem.

Great advice from the other posters. Lots of good brewpub offerings, both grog and food in the Whit. I'll give my two bits for upscale resto food.

Regrettably, IMHO, no longer any good Italian food in Eugene other than Osteria DOP on Oak St. Good wood-fired pizza. 

Better options for French/bistro:

Marché, Bar Purlieu, Lion and Owl and Rye (great bar)

Sabai and Ta Ra Rin for Thai

Cafe Soriah for middle eastern 

On 11/9/2023 at 10:22 AM, bbmichaels said:

Rennie's Landing is the old traditional campus bar.

As for game traditions - "Shout" after the 3rd quarter is always a good time. And remember, it NEVER rains at Autzen Stadium.

Sounds like a fun tradition you have going. I hope you enjoy our little corner of the world.

But do carry some rain ponchos in green or yellow.  They make nice Fall Colors for the Trojans to gaze at.  You can wave 'em on 3rd and long while the sound meter goes off the scale.

On 11/9/2023 at 3:55 AM, OBE4ISU said:

Hello all, fairly random post here, but looking for some suggestions and advice.  A group of friends and I from the Midwest do an annual college football rivalry game trip and this year are coming out this weekend for the game against the Trojans. 

My questions essentially are:

- Best bars (sports bars, dive bars, unique bars, both campus town and older adult crowd)?

Appreciate any and all suggestions!  Go Ducks!

OBE, I gave you a bad recommendation in my previous post above.  The Ninkazi Better Living Room has closed as of the 29th of October.  The news came as a shock to a lot of us, not the least of which were the employees who worked there.  4 days notice is all they had before Ninkazi, one of Eugene's most famous craft brewers, shuttered the 3 year old building, or lat least the pub portion of it.

Too bad, it would have been a bit of a treat for you guys to explore, esp. if you're into metallic sculptures made of old Harley Davidson parts.  But there's still the Beer Stein, the Steelhead Brewery, Hop Valley, Oakshire and a ton of others in Eugene/Springfield.  Sorry about the misleading advice.  Have fun!

Thank you all for the recommendations, really appreciate it and enjoying ourselves so far!

When the rooster’s crowing and the cows in the pasture are turning circles……Ducks Fly Together!

Sco Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 2