FishDuck Article

Lanning’s Culture Is Paying Dividends in November

Football is a hard sport. It takes its toll on players and teams both mentally and physically. This season, we have seen Colorado and USC crumble as their seasons have gone on. Their morale was sucked out of them from devastating losses. But Oregon bounced back from their one loss in triumphant fashion, and that is a testament to the ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Football is a hard sport. It takes its toll on players and teams both mentally and physically. This season, we have seen Colorado and USC...
  • Thumbs Up 4

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Nice article David! Lanning's culture is much better than the last two coaches. He makes great hires and develops great talent.

I wonder if all the kids that transferred out wished they would have stuck it out??

• Like 1

Great article, but I think we need perspective on these accomplishments. Number one Lanning was an assistant before becoming a head coach with a bunch of ideas he had never done before as the leader.

So many coaches move up the ranks as a head coach, and face a head wind they can't deal with when they get to D1, or top level football. Their weakness comes out and it all falls apart. Lanning started at the top as a head coach, and is flourishing.

Second he has put together a group of players who fill the needs at every position and fostered a winning mentality in year two. Most programs don't have the players, or lack the depth years down the road, and culture takes many seasons to develop.

Lastly he has the coaches who are all aligned, and nobody has reached their level of incompetence. Tosh struggled a bit last year, and Lanning just brought in reinforcements with full support of his coaching abilities. He also brought in a green OC and again just brought in players and turned him loose.

There is so much Lanning is doing beyond what I point out, but it is truly remarkable the simplistic things I pointed out are working. There have been a number of great articles on what is going right, but how quickly is quite frankly, astonishing!

• Thumbs Up 4

David, great article and thanks for taking the time to write it and present it to the Forum......

One word in you article really stood out to me, especially as a 40 year plus fan, development!

For me, since Belotti turned the reigns over to Chip, player and program development has slowly fallen off.

Chip simply put, recruited what players fit his wide open scheme and turned the talent loose. No complaints about 46-7.

However, Chip did not recruit or develope players who could handle the  more physical Stanford, BSU and Auburn teams.

The program development, or lack of, reared its head in the Natty against tOSU. Mark H and the players were no match for the Buckeyes.

MH drove the Ferrarri off a cliff because he couldnt recruit and no QB1 was developed to follow Marcus.

Transfer QB's provided a bandaid only. Vernon Adams was very good but their were too many weak spots to overcome.

Willie T, was flash and no substance. He did prove that you can recruit players all over the country to Oregon. 

Mario kept the recruiting going, player developement was lacking and Justin H had only 1 player who could catch a ball. Mario would have had losing seasons without Justin.

After Justin, back to QB transfers. In Marios tenure not one QB was developed. Thankfully Mario's dream job came calling and he became the Hurricanes never ending nightmare.

When DL took over he needed the transfer portal to get a QB1. No QB1 on the roster was developed and ready. Thank you Bo for choosing Oregon.

As for future QB1 development? We can see the vast improvement in TT. He may not be ready to take over but he is improving.

After  24 games under DL and staff you can see the player development. Not just with the #1's. There is very little drop off when the #2's step in.

20-4 is not by accident. In one year the defense went from never getting off the field on 3rd and impossible to a baby beast in 2023.

DL brought in the players and they are being developed and challenged.

This week the Ducks face their 2nd biggest challenge. One that will test the very culture of DL's program, the Beavers.

DL has yet to beat the beavers or huskies. This is a defining moment that tests this very article. Beat the Beavers and then onto the PAC Title game.

Then you face your #1 challenge, the huskies. As we all know the Ducks are 0-2 against the putrid dogs. Beating the huskies will be the next defining moment.

This week the nations fans, pundints, talking heads, future recruits and portal talents will be watching...... so will the committee.

The DL culture, process and development program will be front and center. The rubber will meet the road....

Go Ducks.....beat the beavers

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

DL from yesterday’s presser:

“We change quite a bit, you know, each week, and those guys have done a good job of executing whatever we've asked them to do with good talent.”

This has been so impressive and fun to watch. The coaches have the schemes and the players have the smarts and talent to execute fresh strategies every week.

This is the exact opposite of Mari-no-O, who was so predictable that he deserved to be booed.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Another good article by David.  I snipped this little piece out from the end of the article.

"It is going to be a tough game in Autzen this Friday against a good Oregon State team, but Lanning’s Ducks should handle them and maybe even give Nix a rest on the sideline before the final whistle."

If there's ONE major difference (there are others) that separates this year's team from last year's team it's the way they're playing so far in November.  Ie. the way they're playing at the end of the season.  

This team is getting stronger and stronger as the season progresses.  I can't ever remember that happening quite as starkly as this for a very long time. This last game should give us a very good idea of just how much stronger they are this year.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/21/2023 at 10:19 AM, Mic said:

This team is getting stronger and stronger as the season progresses.  I can't ever remember that happening quite as starkly as this for a very long time. This last game should give us a very good idea of just how much stronger they are this year.

It's crazy to think how the Ducks are cruising right now. Most teams have pulled out the duct tape and are cobbling together some semblance of a team in November and hope it works. 

ASU was on their 9th offensive line configuration this year last Saturday. Not saying that ASU is a good team suffering from injuries but by November a lot of things about the personnel lineup look rather different than it did at the start of the year. 

Oregon is running effectively the same personnel. They are changing things up because they want to and less because they need to. 

Or teams are like Washington and have been insanely lucky to date. But luck doesn't hold out forever. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I can’t recall a more physical Oregon football team. They flat out punish and beat up opponents on both sides of the ball. Teams do not look the same after they play Oregon. 

That is part of the culture that Lanning and company are creating in Eugene.  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Football is a hard sport."  Truth!

Sometimes Bo makes it look soooo easy. Almost effortless. He's not perfect, obviously.

But he often makes it look easy. 

Thanks David, as I think S&G Coach Wilson Love is a secret weapon that is now reaping benefits.  This is the healthiest we have been going into Civil War that I can recall in a long time.  (Knock on wood!)

• Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Excerpt from most recent "Ducks vs Them" video:

"I thought we were in Eugene south" - Dan Lanning talking about the fans at ASU.

Ducks are bringing out everyone where they go!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

On 11/21/2023 at 3:12 PM, Ktmguy2018 said:

Excerpt from most recent "Ducks vs Them" video:

"I thought we were in Eugene south" - Dan Lanning talking about the fans at ASU.

Ducks are bringing out everyone where they go!

I have a new appreciation for the "Ducks vs. Them" videos.

When I first saw them, I thought they were beautiful highlight videos that would be really effective in recruiting. Don't get me wrong, I think they'll serve recruiting purposes well.

But, after thinking about the videos a bit deeper, I think their most significant value is in establishing culture and accountability.

Think about it. How would you act/perform if you knew your entire week of preparation and eventual game day was going to be documented (both audio and video) and then shared with the world each week?

Not sure if the culture/accountability aspect was the primary intent of the videos, but what a great way to incentivize consistent hard work, preparation, and maximum effort.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 11/21/2023 at 1:41 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Thanks David, as I think S&G Coach Wilson Love is a secret weapon that is now reaping benefits.  This is the healthiest we have been going into Civil War that I can recall in a long time.  (Knock on wood!)

Having the depth to rotate guys in and out also has a huge benefit. It saves wear and tear over a long season, while also developing the 2s and 3s.  

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/21/2023 at 2:42 PM, OregonDucks said:

Having the depth to rotate guys in and out also has a huge benefit. It saves wear and tear over a long season, while also developing the 2s and 3s.  

Quite frankly, at some of the positions, it's almost as if O doesn't have "2s and 3s" but several great players at multiple positions.  I can't tell, except by number, who's on the starting lineup and who's subbing in to:  

A) change the Defense and/or Offense, or

B) rest players at various positions to keep them fresh and strong throughout the entire game.  

There's little to no drop-off with all these roster changes throughout the game until the last qtr when the "subs' are getting a rest for the younger players to get game experience.  The depth on this team is something I can never recall Oregon having.  I've been watching the Ducks play football for decades.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 2:42 PM, OregonDucks said:

This is what makes UGA so potent. It's why Bama is successful year after year. Lanning did a stint at both.

This Duck team is built to beat the UGA and tOSU of college football. As long as Lanning is a Duck, I think we will see well built and prepaired  teams more years than not.

Ducks are one of the top 4 teams in the country. The cfp knows it. Just win! 2nd year HC Lanning has B2B 10+ win seasons. Finish the season 14-1

• Go Ducks! 1

We have 18 of the 4/5-Star players verballed to Oregon for the 2024 recruiting class.  We will probably beat the record of 19, and will know in a few weeks.  The point is--add this class, and we will have most Blue-Chip roster ever at Oregon.

Patrick Herbert_Oregon Football X, Eric Evans.jpg

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/21/2023 at 5:36 PM, Log Haulin said:

This is what makes UGA so potent. It's why Bama is successful year after year. Lanning did a stint at both.

This Duck team is built to beat the UGA and tOSU of college football. As long as Lanning is a Duck, I think we will see well built and prepaired  teams more years than not.

Ducks are one of the top 4 teams in the country. The cfp knows it. Just win! 2nd year HC Lanning has B2B 10+ win seasons. Finish the season 14-1

What’s ironic is that Cristobal also coached at Bama and wanted Oregon to play physical football.

Lanning and Lupoi have actually done it.  

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 7:00 PM, OregonDucks said:

What’s ironic is that Cristobal also coached at Bama and wanted Oregon to play physical football.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/21/2023 at 7:00 PM, OregonDucks said:

What has happened under Lanning is what I'm referring to as modern physicality. Cristobal was focused on beating the other team up physically and being more dominant with brute force. 

Lanning is not only using the greater physical ability to beat up on other teams but he is mentally challenging them too. 

Get players out of position and then beat them up with physical ability. 

I mean a great example of this was Herbert's second touchdown that came off a long run. But his blockers were big linemen and the whole play started with Herbert releasing off a block to take a short pass. 

It was a physical play that used brute force by getting big guys into space but it also had a mental element where the defender let Herbert release and the defense didn't and couldn't react to the convoy of big linemen running down the field. 

In one of my favorite articles I've written j talked about this whole focusing on the jumbo formation. I've linked it quite a few times this season but I'll do it again. 

FISHDUCK.COM

As Oregon fans, we heard all about physicality from former HC Mario Cristobal over the last four years...

It's not enough to be the bigger team anymore but you have to stretch the opponent's mental ability. Making an defender think is absolutely the worst thing you can force them to do because they'll be slower. 

MC was and is predictable and that allows the other team to play a whole lot faster. Lanning makes the other team think which slows them down and let's the physical advantage dominate the game. 

• Great post! 1
  • Like 1