1Funduck

Will the Disrespect Ever Stop?

First off, kudos for the rankings reflecting UW being inside the top 4. I don't care where it falls as long as the top 4 are accurate. Now to my gripe.

The debate of the best 1 loss teams has been so biased that each time I hear it, I find myself arguing with the screen. Let's be honest and fair here shall we?

Alabama has one loss to the #7 team currently. That's worthy of a high ranking. But, do we rank Alabama this high because of their standing inside their conference? Well, kind of. Each conference can't help who they play inside conference. Go through the motions and then win your conference championship. But...

Conference perception is really about who you play outside of conference.

1) How does your respective conference handle their nonconference schedule? That's the real test to gauge conference strength.

2) Win loss ratio along with how each conference played each other if you have that data; crossover games to compare scores and the like. 

For example, Washington smoked MSU 41-7. tOSU did the same 38-3. All intents and purposes, I would rank them equal. However, Utah took Florida to the woodshed with a backup QB with a 24-11 sound thumping. #9Mizz held on for dear life with a last second field goal to squeak past Florida 33-31. Before we get all 'teams are different and grow as the year go's on' whiney, the pundits would have us believe that Alabama has more ranked wins than the other 1 loss teams. Ohhhh reeeeeeaaaally? Ranked? Why? Says who? 

Again, who did Mizz play noncon? K state was a solid win, I will give you that. But, MTSU? 23-19? If Oregon played down to that level we would be laughed at and proven evidence of having a contributor to a weak conference. Memphis win was 34-27. Another anemic showing for a ranked team in the supposed top conference. My point is supposedly clear. The SEC is weak this year. Georgia looks off and all the pundits have been uttering those words all year. Only the last couple of games have they been looking more crisp, but not like the last two years.

Alabama has looked middling. They are clearly playing better as they are picking up steam. 

Texas keeps flirting with disaster. They have the pieces but just don't look in synq. Next year?

Oregon keeps crushing opponents by 1/2 time. 

So, do you say a team deserves to be in because of past performance? Absolutely! Should they get in if they don't play in their conference championship? Well...depends. If you don't play in your conference championship, then you LOST to a conference opponent during the season. The conference schedule proves who deserves to be crowned conference champion. Its simple, don't lose in conference. But, if all other conferences produce champions with losses, then....

Which brings me to my bull horn mountain top rant. 1) Conference champions from the Power 5 means something. 2) How the conference plays all noncons means something, especially against other P5 schools. 3) closely linked with noncons is the rankings of teams inside your conference. This is reflective of W/L record outside of conference play as well as how you played in said games. And lastly, how do you play within your conference. Do you squeek by or do you dominate? 

All these metrics means something when we are ranking teams because of opinion and not solely on merit. The ranking of the 1 loss teams is right where they should be. Alabama lost to Texas. You get ranked below Texas, who has a loss. Texas has a loss against #12 OU by 4 points. Solid loss and not a blow out. Oregon has a loss against the #4 undefeated team UW by 3 points. Oregon should be ranked above Texas. It's real clear. Want to add some power to that ranking? Oregon has been getting stronger and strangling its opponents since that loss. Texas has not and Alabama has looked way too middling until these last couple of games. I might even say anemic.

"we are who we thought they were...". Now, go play the game in front of you. If Oregon beats UW in the Championship game, against undefeated and #4 ranked UW, then its a beauty contest between Oregon and the loser of the UM tOSU game. If Texas wins their championship game against OSU, then its a win over a 4 loss team to get you into the playoffs? P-shah!!! 

If Oregon gets into the playoffs with a healthy team then I predict Oregon to win it all. They have the best O-line, fantastic receivers, and the best QB in all of college football with the best accuracy rating. Add to this a top 15 defense and I don't see another team that is its equal sans Georgia. But, even Georgia doesn't have a machine at QB. 

Duck On!!! Beat the Beavs!!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

1FunDuck lots of good tboughts in your post.

IMHO, a one loss P-5 conference champ trumps a 1 loss P-5 team that does not win their conference title. (However, if Georgia loses in a tight, great game against Bama, i believe they will get in)

Oregon gets to close with a ranked Beaver team. A solid beaver team. A victory over a ranked team boosts the SOS. Perception and decisive victories matter.

So at this point nothing matters except beating the Beavers. Then and only then the game against the huskies will have bearing......

Tonight we will see if any 1 loss team jumps the Ducks.

Go Ducks....revenge win against the beavers.....

The Beavs, when they lose to the Ducks, should hang on to a top 25 ranking. #25 to be exact. 

Also, do we see FSU beating Loiusville in 2 weeks? I don't. FSU lost their QB. FSU ends the season with a loss in their CC. The ACC is left out. This, potentially, leaves 3 one loss teams vying for 2 playoff spots. I love the Chaos!!!

On 11/21/2023 at 8:20 AM, 1Funduck said:

The Beavs, when they lose to the Ducks, should hang on to a top 25 ranking. #25 to be exact. 

Also, do we see FSU beating Loiusville in 2 weeks? I don't. FSU lost their QB. FSU ends the season with a loss in their CC. The ACC is left out. This, potentially, leaves 3 one loss teams vying for 2 playoff spots. I love the Chaos!!!

I'd almost (almost!) agree with you here on Louisville-FSU but I think FSU still wins this game. Darn it.  FSU's backup QB will be just enough to usher FSU along, but barely.  I'm crossing my fingers & holding out hope I'm totally wrong on this but I can't see Louisville besting FSU.  Darn it.

As of right now, I’m not sure how much more respect the PAC-12 could get. Washington is now ranked in the top 4 in the college football playoff rankings and Oregon is the highest ranked one loss team. 

If Oregon wins out they should be in the playoffs. Look dominant doing so to leave no doubt. 

If Oregon wins out, hopefully in dominating fashion, they SHOULD be in.

So far, the committee likes the domination.  Depending on where Utah where drops, we may not have a top 25 win.  Of course, that is due to the cannibalization of the DEEPEST conference.

Texas keeps 'Bama at bay due to the H to H.

The committee has not been given any reason for Texas to jump us. 

A win over OSU gives us a top 25 W.  Again, Texas can't jump us.

Win Pac 12 and we are a one loss power 5 Champ same as Texas if they win out.  Again, no reason for them to jump us.

I'm hoping this committee has SEC burnout so that if 'Bama beats Georgia, Georgia goes to 5+.  

Wait till tonight when FSU fans go crazy after ewe dub jumps them.  They will scream that you can't do that just cuz they lost their QB.  

Of course, Boo will put that down with the strength of schedule argument.

Pretty sure rankings are froze  when you beat them. Committee uses ranking at the tiime you beat opponents 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Texas gets the nod due to their win at Alabama. Florida State has been propped up all year due to beating LSU. Ohio State had been given the benefit of the doubt due to their road win at Notre Dame.

I think it's fairly clear that teams get rewarded for challenging themselves prior to conference play. It's as simple as that. I know SEC teams essentially schedule byes the second to last week, but they usually play one tough out of conference game. Florida at Utah, Alabama vs Texas, LSU vs FSU. Georgia has played Clemson, Tennessee has played Oregon. Washington beat a very bad MSU team, but it's not under their control if MSU fell off a cliff. They tried.

USC always plays Notre Dame. Oregon has traditionally challenged themselves against Tennessee, Ohio State, and at Boise State when that program was near unbeatable at Smurf Stadium. It just so happens Michigan pulled out of a series, and they got Portland State this year.

This is the final year of the invitational. We get a real playoff next year. The debate will center around the four top seeds that get byes.

On 11/21/2023 at 11:35 AM, Log Haulin said:

Committee uses ranking at the tiime you beat opponents 

This is excellent news! I thought it was all based on the final rankings.

It actually makes more sense to use the rankings at the time of the game bc injuries, etc can change a team dramatically from week to week.

The Buffs at 100% were a heck of a lot better than they are now.

On 11/21/2023 at 12:37 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

This is excellent news! I thought it was all based on the final rankings.

It actually makes more sense to use the rankings at the time of the game bc injuries, etc can change a team dramatically from week to week.

The Buffs at 100% were a heck of a lot better than they are now.

Yea, I could be wrong but pretty sure I heard that somewhere recently, like last couple days.

• Applause 1

• Priorities:
  • Reach Selection Sunday with one or fewer losses (100% of Playoff teams have done this).
  • Beat at least three teams in the committee’s Final Selection Sunday top 25
  • Win at least six games, preferably more, against FBS teams that have .500-plus records on Selection Sunday
  • Win a Power 5 conference

Everything starts from scratch each week, which confuses a lot of fans.

The committee doesn’t care where your opponent used to be ranked.

The committee considers groups of six teams at a time for discussion, so obviously 4, 5, 6 are very important.  But 1, 2, 3 also impacts opponent assignment.  7-12 will impact NY6 participation.

My add...I do think the Final Top 25 approach could be a flaw.  For example, what if Cam Rising had played for Utah this season but missed the last 2-3 games due to injury and Utah fell out of the top 25?  Wins against Utah earlier would be discounted due to Utah's final ranking.

What if you play in a very competitive conference, but your team's win caused strong 6-6 teams to become 5-7, thus affecting wins over .500?   What if another conference has every team play a Softcup U the next to last weekend, and only 8 conference games, which results in your conference with several teams at 6-6 or 7-5 that you beat?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/21/2023 at 1:50 PM, HDuck said:
  • Priorities:
  • Reach Selection Sunday with one or fewer losses (100% of Playoff teams have done this).
  • Beat at least three teams in the committee’s Final Selection Sunday top 25
  • Win at least six games, preferably more, against FBS teams that have .500-plus records on Selection Sunday
  • Win a Power 5 conference

Everything starts from scratch each week, which confuses a lot of fans.

The committee doesn’t care where your opponent used to be ranked.

The committee considers groups of six teams at a time for discussion, so obviously 4, 5, 6 are very important.  But 1, 2, 3 also impacts opponent assignment.  7-12 will impact NY6 participation.

My add...I do think the Final Top 25 approach could be a flaw.  For example, what if Cam Rising had played for Utah this season but missed the last 2-3 games due to injury and Utah fell out of the top 25?  Wins against Utah earlier would be discounted due to Utah's final ranking.

What if you play in a very competitive conference, but your team's win caused strong 6-6 teams to become 5-7, thus affecting wins over .500?   What if another conference has every team play a Softcup U the next to last weekend, and only 8 conference games, which results in your conference with several teams at 6-6 or 7-5 that you beat?

So win out, shortly followed by a hope and a prayer. Got it!

On 11/21/2023 at 12:27 PM, Sunshine Larry said:

This is the final year of the invitational. We get a real playoff next year. The debate will center around the four top seeds that get byes.

Just like NCAA basketball there will be lots of talk about the bubble teams and who got “left out.”  If they do it with a field of 64+ they’ll certainly do it with football. 

I can handle the talk of bubble teams getting left out when we are talking a 12 team playoff. If all conference champions play in the playoff then I'm OK with the rest of the 7 qualifiers. You have absolutely no gripe if you don't win your conference. Getting, or not getting, to the playoffs outside of a conference championship is on you, the team, for not winning. 

Just win and you are in. Thats the only fair path to a championship trophy.

• Thumbs Up 1

But...we could be a conference champion and still left out.

Ohio State-Michigan,  B1G Champs

Georgia, SEC Champs

Florida State, ACC Champs  (Could happen...even with their QB out)

Texas, Big-12 Champs

Oregon, Pac-12 Champs

Five champions, three undefeated and Texas has a better win on the resume at Alabama.  It is crazy that a conference champion could be left out...

Mr. FishDuck

I would leave Texas out as their resume has been dismal with the exception of Alabama. Texas remaining games pale in comparison to Oregons remainjng schedule. I don't see a way that Texas jumps Oregon. I could see Alabama jumping though. Beat Georgia and Alabama has a loss to a #7 ranked team but a win against the #1 team. Thats fair. We simply need FSU to lose and clear up the waters.

My biggest issue this year is people touting September wins, while dissing the November eye test.  Does anyone really believe Texas is as good as they were when they beat Alabama?  Or Bama is as bad as that game?  You can't tout Texas for that win, while at the same time tout Bama for how good they have become.  So many teams have grown over the last 3 months, but so many have also regressed.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 1:45 PM, Log Haulin said:

Yea, I could be wrong but pretty sure I heard that somewhere recently, like last couple days.

I think this might be urban legend. 

• Haha 1

Just win, baby!

• Go Ducks! 1