Charles Fischer

Juicy Quotes from the ESPN Crew Towards Oregon...Whew!

It is not just how generous the praise is, but how we are hearing some things that has NOT been described of our team in the past.  "Physicality, tough defense, off-the-charts offensive efficiency."  That is Dan Lanning, my friends!

Boog McFarland: "They're playing some of the best football in the country. I just love the physicality on the defensive and offensive line. Oregon is a team nobody wants to play right now."

Greg McElroy: "As complete as you'll find and as dangerous as you'll find in the entire sport. But their resume' is terrible. They do not have a win against a single team in the current top-25."

Boog McFarland: "We have to give Oregon credit for the ferocity in which they play."

Kirk Herbstreit: "You could make the point that they have been the most consistent team from the beginning of the year. They have Bo Nix, a veteran leading the way, you have speed all over the field, and you have Dan Lanning coaching the defense with Tosh Lupoi. They fly around, and are playing with confidence. If Oregon wins both their next two games...they will be in the Playoffs."

Which quote is the biggest surprise, or brings you the most pleasure?

Gary Bryant_Eric Evans of Oregon Football.jpg

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/21/2023 at 5:48 PM, Charles Fischer said:

But their resume' is terrible. They do not have a win against a single team in the current top-25."

Yeah and Oregon broke the will of at least two teams that once graced the top 25 if not three. 

No team that has played Oregon has been the same afterwards. Always for the worse as well. 

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Cool 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 6

On 11/21/2023 at 8:50 PM, David Marsh said:

Yeah and Oregon broke the will of at least two teams that once graced the top 25 if not three. 

No team that has played Oregon has been the same afterwards. Always for the worse as well. 

Washington has been saying the same thing. I hope we get a rematch and settle it. Win or lose it will be a fair fight in a climate controlled, neutral environment. No excuses for either team. Gotta beat the Beavis first. I hope OBD don’t get caught looking ahead. They haven’t so far.

• Great post! 1

"If Oregon wins the next two games...they're in the playoffs "

That's the quote I like the most.

And the one I most agree with!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I'm just a bit tired of hearing the phrase "nobody wants to play Oregon right now."  It was great when we first heard it a few weeks ago but it's getting old.  Right now I can think of one team that is chomping at the bit to get on the field against Oregon: The Oregon State Beavers.

That said, it is nice to hear the plaudits even if one of the pundits (McElroy) can't seem to remember that some of the teams no longer in the top 25 are gone because Oregon sent them packing with their tail between their legs.

I don't usually agree with Herbstreit, and think he'll turn on Oregon in a NY minute should something bad happen - claiming never to have thought they were really deserving of #6, but his opinion probably holds the most weight of the three here mentioned.

Thanks Charles.

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 2

Eeyore.jpg

Oh my...I cannot enjoy a single moment of joy.  

Not when there is so much negative to find!

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

@Charles Fischer,

We need a 💯 option in the reaction icons. 🤩

I agree 💯 with all prior comments.

Also, I am grateful the experts are validating my own and this forum’s observations.

OBD look elite in every phase (except field goal kicking). 

The talent and depth are unmistakable.

The analytics are OFF THE CHARTS.

This is the first time ever (since I started paying attention in ‘94) that we are built like a Natty team.

In ‘01, ‘10, and ‘14 we won with dazzling plays and players, epic comebacks, and the element of surprise. (Don’t get me started on Helf’s trick plays in the red zone.)

In ‘23 we are winning with talent, execution, strength, and strategy.

DL harps on putting your talent on tape. “Watch the tape,” he preaches.

And the pundits are definitely watching the tape, impressed.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

We beat the rodents, they'll stay in the top 25, and get mutts ranked #4, so yeah, win the next 2 and we should be in.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/21/2023 at 9:18 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

I agree 💯 with all prior comments.

Also, I am grateful the experts are validating my own and this forum’s observations.

The talent and depth are unmistakable.

The analytics are OFF THE CHARTS.

This is the first time ever (since I started paying attention in ‘94) that we are built like a Natty team.

In ‘01, ‘10, and ‘14 we won with dazzling plays and players, epic comebacks, and the element of surprise. (Don’t get me started on Helf’s trick plays in the red zone.)

In ‘23 we are winning with talent, execution, strength, and strategy.

DL harps on putting your talent on tape. “Watch the tape,” he preaches.

And the pundits are definitely watching the tape, impressed.

I agree 💯!!!

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

If Oregon wins both their next two games...they will be in the Playoffs.”

This is also my favorite quote.

Herbstreit left no doubt or ambiguity, and he’s one of the most respected college football media members who will have a huge platform to push for Oregon’s inclusion in the playoffs, if they take care of business the next 2 weeks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/21/2023 at 7:07 PM, OregonDucks said:

If Oregon wins both their next two games...they will be in the Playoffs.”

This is also my favorite quote.

Herbstreit left no doubt or ambiguity, and he’s one of the most respected college football media members who will have a huge platform to push for Oregon’s inclusion in the playoffs, if they take care of business the next 2 weeks. 

I will admit that I am having concerns, and his highly confident statement made me gasp.  Whew!

Let's do it Ducks!

• Whew! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Just win, Ducks! Win!

• Thumbs Up 1

I thoroughly agree with you, and its well earned by Oregon and nice to hear it!

However, make no mistake.  This praise is largely because Oregon is joining the Big-10, and the networks like to promote their products.  They no longer see Oregon as a threat to their brand.

It's also no coincidence that most of Oregon's games have been scheduled in the early afternoon.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

The top six announced tonight had four of the six who will be in the 2024 B1G!  And to think they got Oregon and Washington at a discount!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

SEC fans are salty that Oregon is still ranked 6th, but say nothing about 7-4 Tennessee being ranked 21st. Utah is also 7-4 but unranked. However, only one of those two teams beat Florida and Tennessee’s best win is against a 5-loss team (UK).

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 8:18 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

@Charles Fischer,

Dr. Hilarius, Suggest "Reaction/Response" icons; additionally, add our field goal hiking/kicking formation to the "except" file. Someone (snapper or holder) screwed up the hike and the holder attempted to pass (to whom?) and was unsurprisingly intercepted.

Remember when DL explained there are two types of fumble: a city fumble, and a country fumble? This was a city fumble - fall on it, and secure it. Don't pass downfield when the opposing defenders are the only players arrayed to catch the ball.

Thanks and VR,

KCDuck1

• Applause 1

There are many ways of looking at resumes and one way ie examining the W-L records of a team's opponents. Looking at last week's data for the top 8 in the playoff contenders, the two teams with opponents' best W-L records were  Alabama and Georgia. Oregon's opponents were only two games over .500. Oregon wi sti get to the playoffs if they beat the  beaves and Seattle Dawgs,  but not on the strength of a stellar resume.

On 11/21/2023 at 10:33 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

There are many ways of looking at resumes and one way ie examining the W-L records of a team's opponents. Looking at last week's data for the top 8 in the playoff contenders, the two teams with opponents' best W-L records were  Alabama and Georgia. Oregon's opponents were only two games over .500. Oregon wi sti get to the playoffs if they beat the  beaves and Seattle Dawgs,  but not on the strength of a stellar resume.

The benefits of an 8 game conference schedule and cupcakes. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Some of us still feel the effects of a 11-1 Nebraska team being chosen for the championship game in 2001 over an 11-1 Oregon team. 

That Nebraska team lost by 26 in their final game of the year, Oregon's only lose was by 7 points in the middle of the year to the 14th ranked WSU team. 

Needless to say Oregon went on to destroy the team that beat Nebraska in the bowl game and Nebraska got crushed by Miami in the championship game.

One of the biggest miscarriage of NCAA selection committee at the time, so not matter if Oregon wins out I will not feel comfortable till I see Oregon name in the final 4!

• Great post! 1

Kirk Herbstreit Thinks 1-Loss Team Is Lock For Playoff If They Win Out

Kirk Herbstreit is high on one team's chances to make the College Football Playoff if it wins out.

Herbstreit thinks Oregon, which is currently No. 6 in the latest CFP rankings, is a lock for the CFP if it wins out. 

"You win those two games, and Oregon is going to be in the playoff. They deserve to be at that place right now," Herbstreit said on Tuesday.

college-football-dec-31-semifinal-gamech

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/kirk-herbstreit-thinks-1-loss-team-is-lock-for-playoff-if-they-win-out

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/21/2023 at 8:26 PM, KCDuck1 said:

Dr. Hilarius, Suggest "Reaction/Response" icons; additionally, add our field goal hiking/kicking formation to the "except" file. Someone (snapper or holder) screwed up the hike and the holder attempted to pass (to whom?) and was unsurprisingly intercepted.

Remember when DL explained there are two types of fumble: a city fumble, and a country fumble? This was a city fumble - fall on it, and secure it. Don't pass downfield when the opposing defenders are the only players arrayed to catch the ball.

Thanks and VR,

KCDuck1

In this case it was advantageous to have the ball intercepted downfield and tackled there rather than taking a 10 yard loss. 

It's should be better taught by position coaches to not intercept a pass on 4th down unless you think you have a clear path back to the line of scrimmage.

It just dawned on me there must be some exception that the placeholder can hold a live ball while his knee is on the ground, even when he isn't placing the ball anymore.

On 11/21/2023 at 6:04 PM, Mic said:

I'm just a bit tired of hearing the phrase "nobody wants to play Oregon right now."  It was great when we first heard it a few weeks ago but it's getting old.  Right now I can think of one team that is chomping at the bit to get on the field against Oregon: The Oregon State Beavers.

To be fair, it's not like OSU has a choice lol

Then again I suppose they could forfeit before game day 😀

• Haha 1

On 11/21/2023 at 7:34 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Utah is also 7-4 but unranked.

Utah's second string is 7-4.

• Mic drop 1
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 4:33 PM, Steven A said:

Utah's second string is 7-4.

Including a dominant win over Florida!  The same Florida that just lost to #10 Missouri by 2.

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Like 1

I wonder if Utah and USC or UCLA might still be ranked with one less conference game.

We need to beat Washington convincingly because I’m worried about a close Ohio St or close Georgia loss. Florida St. and Texas losing would certainly help Oregon’s case. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Finebaum said that even an undefeated FSU shouldn't make the playoff due to an injury. I thought that meant he thought a one loss Oregon/Washington should be in over them.

But then today he said Georgia should be in regardless of what happens in Atlanta. To me he is hinting at Michigan/Ohio State winner, Georgia, Texas, and Alabama.

Pure stupidity. This is not the year to trumpet the SEC horn. It's definitely not time to put two teams from the same conference in. 

B1G champion, SEC champion, Pac-12 champion, and FSU if they go undefeated. Texas if FSU loses a game(preferably this Saturday😁) These ESPN guys try to turn their speculation into fact.

• Like 1