DrJacksPlaidPants

Colorado Losing Commitments

Colorado has lost 3 commandments in as many days. They also had a coach resign. Why do you think it is?

Some say the recruits fear Deion is leaving and some say they don’t like what he said about NIL. That he’s not handling out money to just sign with him. While these theories might be true, I have another one.

Deion has said and shown that he’s willing to make wholesale changes to his roster to win. I think recruits want more security than he’s offering. There seems to be pressure to develop immediately or be replaced.

He recruited a new O-Line for this season and he’s already said he needs to replace them. I think this could be a cautionary tale of relying on the transfer portal too much. It’s good for plugging gaps, but mass changes every year could scare off high school recruits.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sanders family leave for greener pastures.  Besides, it gets cold in Colorado.  I don't see Deion being a cold-country person.  

On 11/28/2023 at 11:21 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

He recruited a new O-Line for this season and he’s already said he needs to replace them. I think this could be a cautionary tale of relying on the transfer portal too much. It’s good for plugging gaps, but mass changes every year could scare off high school recruits.

The offensive and defensive lines cannot truly be built on the transfer portal alone. There just aren't enough quality linemen in the portal and those high quality linemen that do enter the portal and usually grabbed by some of the biggest powers in college football. I mean Oregon grabbed three offensive linemen who were all starters at their respective programs at one point and they grabbed Jordan Burch from South Carolina. 

There aren't that many high quality linemen in the portal. You can fill holes with them but you need to recruit them to build the foundation of your lines. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

You don’t see that many quality O linemen in the transfer portal for a very good reason. They develop into high round draft choices not just by being individually talented, but by maturing as a part of a group within systems that teach them how to communicate at a high level with one another.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Top recruits want to go to a coach and program that is building something worthwhile. Deion tore down a team that won 1 game and turned them into a 4 game winner.

I would have had more respect if he had won 4 games with players that he publicly berated and pushed out of the program. At least it would give him more credibility as a coach.

Contrast the way that Johnathan Smith rebuilt OSU. Smith quietly rebuilt a program that was in a similar situation. No media circus, just solid coaching. 

Recruits are now having doubts about the commitment that Deion has to the Colorado football program.

Good luck with that Ralphie. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Still love this one, with a little editing, 'I'm trying to remember what they won and I don't remember. Do you remember them winning anything. I don't remember them winning anything. Why would a recruit go there.'

• Great post! 1

I just don’t see Deion hanging around college football once his kids are gone. Not for long anyways. 

Giving in to desperation leads you in directions you’ve no control over. I’m still pondering my first thought at the hiring of Sanders. What is the University of Colorado thinking?

Do I believe now?  No I don't!

• Thumbs Up 2

Kids change their mind all the time.

Playing for championship on a winning team still matters more then nil. At least to the better players.

This doesn't mean Colorado is losing everything, it just means some of the hype is settling down.

Reality has a way of doing that.

If neon Dion continues to rely on transfer portal for his front line guys as opposed to recruit and develop, he will have a steady diet of 4 - 8 seasons.

Deon wins SI sports “person” of the year. A celebration of mediocrity or what a 4 win season gets you in 2023.🤮.

On 11/30/2023 at 9:22 AM, Flyin Vee said:

Deon wins SI sports “person” of the year. A celebration of mediocrity or what a 4 win season gets you in 2023.🤮.

He probably deserves the "Promoter of the Year", no college football coach did it better then Sanders.

One thing neon did for Colorado is get the hype train running for a short period of time.

Then came the Ducks and Mr Lanning. 

Since then Nothing.

And Oh by the way that happened to several teams after playing the Ducks.

On 11/30/2023 at 9:43 AM, Just Ducky said:

And Oh by the way that happened to several teams after playing the Ducks.

No team was the same after playing Oregon. 

USC was fragile but after the Ducks they completely gave up. 

Colorado was exposed and eventually broke. 

Utah was bodied against Oregon and struggled to get their offense rolling again. 

Washington has played mostly in one score games after Oregon. 

Meanwhile... after the Washignton game Oregon has won every game (except USC) by major double digits. 

• Great post! 1