anyotherduck

Ducks Face the Liberty Flames on Jan. 1

Snippet from the article NJDuck posted above:

Q: ANY UPDATES ON PLAYERS LIKE BO, TROY, DORLUS, BUCKY, ON IF THEY'LL PLAY OR OPT OUT?

Lanning: "Yeah, we've gotten some clarity this morning. I think some of those guys is probably fair for me to let them have that opportunity to let you guys know that they want to go play but I can say definitively that Bo Nix wants to go play in this game. He told his teammates the same thing. This morning when we met as a team, you know, I think he wants that opportunity to go out on the field one more time, and there's several other guys that have made that same decision. But as we go, we'll continue to get more clarity of what that looks like. These guys are excited to go play this game. Our entire team is excited to go out there one last time and cap off an elite season for us."

Sounds like there are definitely other starters/seniors that are going to play in the bowl, so it won't be a skeleton crew on the field New Year's Day.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/3/2023 at 4:11 PM, Desert Duck said:

We live 40 minutes from Glendale Stadium, and there's not a remote chance that I'm willing to waste a few gallons of gas to go to this crap-bowl.

And I can literally get comp'd tickets for this game. I'm going to opt for a nice New Years Day hike instead. 

Oregon's bowl selection, & FSU getting screwed, are two more ideal pieces of evidence showing why college football is often a disgusting joke. 

I think this puts a bow on why we need a Playoff and not an Invitational.

If the Committee's job is to sort out the best 4 teams, it did exactly that. FSU would be a double-digit dog vs. any of the Final 4. And Bama punched its ticket last night.

And placing FSU in the top 4 would have been a walkover for any team it played.

My beef? Looking at UW's schedule and results, why isn't UW the team that should have been the #1 seed playing in the Rose Bowl? 8 wins vs. bowl-eligible teams for UW. 4 Ws vs the top 25 compared to 3 for Michigan

If UW's OL can pass block, UW will defeat Texas. Different teams than last season's Alamo Bowl but I think that UW is the better team.

Oregon got the scum bucket NY6 game but considering the # of Ducks starters who will sit this game out, this isn't all bad for Puddles.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 2

Regarding Washington, I agree 100%. I think this shows what the college football playoff committee really thinks of the PAC-12... and it ain't much. 

Plus, when we combine that with the fact that we're playing against the number 23 ranked team in our bowl game, Liberty, it really says that they think very little of us.

Given how both Washington and Oregon have been treated by the committee, I think that if Oregon had beaten Washington, they would not have put us in the CFP.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 12/3/2023 at 2:11 PM, Desert Duck said:

We live 40 minutes from Glendale Stadium, and there's not a remote chance that I'm willing to waste a few gallons of gas to go to this crap-bowl.

And I can literally get comp'd tickets for this game. I'm going to opt for a nice New Years Day hike instead. 

Oregon's bowl selection, & FSU getting screwed, are two more ideal pieces of evidence showing why college football is often a disgusting joke. 

Well... after all of my above venting and frustration, and while I think my last comment stands...

I must say, that if Bo is going to play, I have to rethink my entire New Year's Day plans now :-). I mean, if Bo is going to show up, the least I can do is the same.

Besides, both of our sons will be in town for the holidays, and this would be the first Duck game that we will have been to as a family to since the oh-so-awesome Oregon v Kansas State Fiesta Bowl.

So, we would obviously bring some really good luck along with us. In other words, the Ducks need the four of us! 😉

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 12/3/2023 at 3:20 PM, OceaniaDuck said:

Regardless of whether the regular Duck starters decide to suit up or not, sadly Oregon has to win this game.

A loss would basically give a black eye to the Duck program, and who knows what other collateral damage may result.

I wonder if FSU would boycott their bowl game as a protest? 

I'd like us to boycott the Fiesta for the obvious fact there is nothing

On 12/3/2023 at 3:44 PM, PittDuck said:

Ok, I will risk getting a stern talking to from Charles, but what a bunch of negativity!  (toned down from Negative Nancy’s) C’mon guys and gals, It is a NY6 Bowl game!   

Have we become that jaded that we are gonna look down our noses at an undefeated opponent?  Yes, it could have ended differently, but it didn’t.

OBD gets a shot at ruining Liberty’s perfect season.  We get another month of practice!  Next year’s Ducks gets a chance to gel early.

if I were in DL’s shoes, those players who think they are “too good” or “too valuable” to play in a NY6 Bowl game can watch the future of OBD while they practice in preparation for the game.

Go Ducks!

It's just such a massive let down considering yesterday we thought our opponent was going to come out of a pool of Texas, Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia and FSU.

But your right, and furthermore if this was the 12 team playoff format we could very well have this same opponent as the top G5 team.

• Applause 1

What a worthless match. Who decides such things? Could we have turned it down? This duck fan was ready to travel, but not no more.  Not for a garbage scrimmage. I honestly dont think it matters whether we win this game or not. I just hope nobody who plans to try out for the nfl this year risks injury. This game is not worth it. 

Edited by AlaskaDuck

On 12/3/2023 at 4:11 PM, Desert Duck said:

I think this puts a bow on why we need a Playoff and not an Invitational. UW with 8 wins against bowl-eligible teams, twice over OREGON, should have been ranked #1.

But this is just another reason why it makes sense to go B1G.

UW's OL holds up against and with the best group of WRs in CFB and UW defeats Texas,

Teams that played 8 conference games are 9-0 in the PO. Watch out for Bama.

DeBoer is 9-0 vs, the top 25 but Saint Nick did the best HC job this season.

The Committee's job is to sort out the best 4 teams, it did exactly that. FSU would be a double-digit dog vs. any of the Final 4. Abd Bama punched its ticket last night.

And placing FSU in the top 4 would have been a walkover for any team it played.

My beef? Looking at UW's schedule and results, why isn't UW the #1 seed playing in the Rose Bowl? 8 wins vs. bowl-eligible teams for UW. 

If UW's OL can pass block, UW will defeat Texas. Different teams than last season's Alamo Bowl but I think that UW is the better team when it comes to the O side of the ball.

Give Me Liberty? No wins vs. a P5 team in 2023 and a 131 out of 133 SOS. And Bo is suiting up? If the Ducks are focused this should be a blowout Puddles win.

• Thumbs Up 1

Been traveling all day and just heard this news. Until this week, I had literally never heard of this University. With all the bowl discussion this week, the name Liberty came up and I said who is this? This seems like a very sad draw for our DUCKS. 

I agree with PittDuck, I like the bowl and think Liberty has done a tremendous job this year; however, I think the lowest ranked team in the New Years Six should be playing them and that would be Old Miss. That being said, I hope we put a Hundo spot on them and Bo comes out at halftime up 50-0.

• Thumbs Up 3

Bill Oram at Oregonlive gives us the rundown on the Liberty Flames...

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Oregon's reward for an 11-2 season? Learning how many former FCS schools now play in Conference USA.

• Great post! 2

Just saw the matchup. Pardon me while I go and throw up.

• Thumbs Up 1

I quit reading all the negative comments, total waste of time. Support your team or don’t say anything. Please.

• Salute 1
  • Oh no! 1

No team is going to boycott a NY 6 bowl. Especially with a shot to beat Ohio State.

We need the dues!

On 12/3/2023 at 7:53 PM, tee duke said:

Just saw the matchup. Pardon me while I go and throw up.

Please, take you time. It's takes time to digest a cow-pie sandwich like this one. We all completely understand. 

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

On 12/3/2023 at 7:38 PM, kirklandduck said:

Bill Oram at Oregonlive gives us the rundown on the Liberty Flames...

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Oregon's reward for an 11-2 season? Learning how many former FCS schools now play in Conference USA.

Just when I thought I was beginning to accept our horrendous fate to play one of the worst teams to ever possibly play on New Year's Day, I then read Bill Oram's spot on article. 

There's just no other way to slice this... Oregon has been utterly given the biggest middle finger by the playoff committee that I think I have ever seen.

Although FSU was spectacularly abused by them today as well. 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Applause 1

Let’s be honest here Oregon doesn’t deserve anything after that miserable shoeing Friday night. This is their penalty. Enjoy the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/3/2023 at 7:38 PM, Desert Duck said:

Please, take you time. It's takes time to digest a cow-pie sandwich like this one. We all completely understand. 

OK...that might the most I've laughed in a while.  Painful, true, and funny.

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Quite the list of quality opponents for these deserving PAC teams:

Arizona vs Oklahoma 

Oregon State vs Notre Dame

Utah vs Northwestern

USC vs Louisville 

Oregon vs Liberty 

• Yikes! 1

• Thumbs Up 1

Well they did beat New Mexico State for the CSUA Football Championship. Seriously, how does this happen? Are we being punished for two losses, both to the #2 team in the nation?

On 12/3/2023 at 12:17 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

There is nothing for Oregon to gain by playing.

Here are a few "somethings":

1. All of Oregon's recruits and potential recruits will watch.

2. 3-4 weeks of extra practice for next year's starters and backups.

3. Extra game exposure at a NY6 game for new starters in for those who will sit out. 

4. In the record books this is a trip to a NY6 game - trusting it will be a win.

5. A chance to finish the year with 12 wins (how often does that happen?).

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

This will likely be THE biggest game in decades, if not ever, for the Liberty Flames.  Oregon needs to treat this game like they have every other game this season and come prepared to dominate the other team physically and fundamentally.  The fact that Bo is going to stay to play shows me that, Liberty not-with-standing, this game still means a lot to him.

It's the Fiesta Bowl and a win will be a great one for the Oregon football program.  GO DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/4/2023 at 9:08 AM, Jon Sousa said:

Here are a few "somethings":

1. All of Oregon's recruits and potential recruits will watch.

2. 3-4 weeks of extra practice for next year's starters and backups.

3. Extra game exposure at a NY6 game for new starters in for those who will sit out. 

4. In the record books this is a trip to a NY6 game - trusting it will be a win.

5. A chance to finish the year with 12 wins (how often does that happen?).

Not to mention the payout. $$$$

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/4/2023 at 9:56 AM, GODUCKS15 said:

Not to mention the payout. $$$$

Yup.  Pac12 gets $4 million for Oregon getting into the Fiesta bowl.

Rise in Fame, Go Down in Flames. 

Starting with Friday night, this was not a great weekend. Quack.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yahoo ranks the Fiesta Bowl as the 8th best intriguing match-up of all this season’s bowls.

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

The Rose Bowl is a matchup of two of the most iconic programs in college football. Here are all of the other matchups we are (and aren't) looking forward to.

Liberty leads the nation in rushing with 309 yards per game.  They rushed for 722 yards in the Conference Championship. Rushing leader is their dual threat QB.   Should be an entertaining game with Ducks running up a Portland State type score.   Starts at 10am pacific.   Washington will play the last Pac12 game at 5:45pm Pacific. 

So we have all come to the realization the we are playing Liberty and some of us accept and some have to learn to accept because it is what it is. With that said and it is a NY6 game and of course Oregon deserves to be there, however does Liberty? Just go through the bowl selections. Oregon has no reason to be upset but I can see a whole bunch of teams that do. Just another thought.

On 12/4/2023 at 7:36 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

With that said and it is a NY6 game and of course Oregon deserves to be there, however does Liberty?

Liberty went 13-0 in a G5 conference. If they do the same next year, they will probably be in the playoffs.

As we have said about Oregon several times, we can only play the teams on our schedule.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/3/2023 at 1:51 PM, Annie said:

I still can't wrap my head around this. I mean other pairings are like 5 & 6, 7& 9, 10& 11--but the Fiesta Bowl (a Jan. 1 bowl game!) is 8 & 23???

I don't get it. I just don't get it.

This from the San Diego Tribune:

The Flames were the highest-ranked Group of Five conference champion after beating New Mexico State

49-35 in the Conference USA championship game. Liberty is the first CUSA champion to clinch a New

Year’s Six bid in the College Football Playoff era.

Notice it says that they clinched the bid by being the highest ranked Group of Five conference Champion. I'm thinking that this is why. They clinched an automatic bid.

• Salute 1

Well, hopefully we do manage to win this game. it would be nice to get a winning send-off to Bo Nix.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is not a direct comparison obviously but Liberty beat New Mexico State to win their conference championship 49-35. In 2010 our DUCKS played New Mexico State and won 72-0. 

Bo Nix is going to play but will we even have a backup QB on the roster if Dan Lanning announces a new QB from the portal? We could see both Ty Thomson and Austin Novosad transfer out. I do not like how this is playing out.

On 12/5/2023 at 9:05 AM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

This is not a direct comparison obviously but Liberty beat New Mexico State to win their conference championship 49-35. In 2010 our DUCKS played New Mexico State and won 72-0. 

Here is a more direct comparison that (rather than 13 years ago) dates back to November 18, 2023:

New Mexico State beat Auburn 31-10 and two weeks later Liberty beat New Mexico State to win their conference

championship 49-35.

• Thumbs Up 2

Liberty leads the nation in rushing with 302.9 rushing yards a game. The Flames will be fired up.

Will Oregon match the intensity in a game going against the No.17. Iowa versus No. 21 Tennessee?

The Iowa vs. Tennessee game is being shown on ABC at the same time ESPN is broadcasting the Fiesta Bowl. The Fiesta will be the least-watched NY6 bowl and will the stadium come close to a sellout. 

One metric that the CT. used to justify Bama in the PO over FSU was Bama's superior SOS. By going with Liberty and not a 10-2 SMU team that defeated ranked Tulane for the AAC, the CT. opted for a team with the worst SOS in the P5/G5. A team that did not play a P5 team all season. 

A small CUSA school from Virginia instead of a nearby SMU headed to the ACC. SMH.

You know, with all the transfers out and all the possible no-starts for some of the 1's this is starting to look like a trap game.  I mean, the Flames are gonna be at or near 100% with morale thru the roof.  

Yeah, the Ducks should win, but should doesn't cut it once the game starts. I don't know whether to watch the game Live or just record it and wait to see it later, after the results are in!

GO DUCKS!

It's like this every bowl season. Players don't play for various reasons. It could be worse, the Ducks could be playing an OK or MO and still not have a decent roster. I say bring on Liberty with a weak roster and play some football.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

SMU - AAC Champ on the way to P4 ACC - Liberty - CUSA Champ

SOS - SMU 76/ Liberty 133 out of 133

FPI - SMU 20/ Liberty 49

Wins vs. FPI Top 60 - SMU 2/ Liberty Zip

Flight time to Phoenix from Dallas - 2 Hours 8 Min/ From Lynchburg, VA - 6 Hours 52 Minutes.

After the Committee decided to jettison FSU and elevate, of course, the SEC champ, even though the ACC had a winning record vs. the SEC in 2023, and while FSU struggled somewhat vs. Florida, it did not need a miracle TD to defeat 6-6 Auburn, the Committee was likely too worn out to choose the correct G5 representative.

The Committee went with the champion of the lowest-ranked G5 conference, a degree mill that graduates 29% of its students and has a 99% acceptance rate. 

Insult to injury. The Citrus Bowl, 17. Iowa vs. 21. Tennessee, kicks off at the same time as the Fiesta Bowl and this B1G vs. SEC clash will be carried on ABC while ESPN broadcasts the Fiesta Bowl.

At the very least, the Committee could have provided Oregon with a decent opponent and not an opponent that pays big money for a G5 coach so it can sign up 'students' online.

This is yet another example of why it behooves Puddles to fly off to the B1G.

• Applause 1

Don’t think it’s all doom and gloom. We get to see Bo and company one more time and I’m excited for that. 

Trust me when I say that the players that will suit up for this game will be ready to play and hopefully put blinders on to muddle thru all the negative comments before the game is even played.

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/4/2023 at 11:19 AM, kirklandduck said:

Yup.  Pac2 hopes to get $4 million for Oregon getting into the Fiesta bowl.

FIFY

I started checking out tickets this morning for the Fiesta Bowl. And on top of us winning the 'honor' of playing that perennial powerhouse Liberty, I realized that this deal just keeps gettin' better...

New Years Day - 11 am MST / 10 am PST start time. 

But then suddenly the words, "First World Problems," hit me upside the head.

Okay... that is all the whining I have to share this morning.

WWW.ESPN.COM

Here's an early look at Liberty against Oregon in the Vrbo Fiesta Bowl, including key players -- so far, Bo Nix plans to play -- and X factors.

• Like 1

Question, can/will the players who entered the portal play in the bowl game? I believe just because you entered it does not force you to leave.

On 12/7/2023 at 8:53 PM, Duckman60 said:

Question, can/will the players who entered the portal play in the bowl game? I believe just because you entered it does not force you to leave.

'Pig Farmer' Barnes is in the portal and is playing QB for Utah in the Las Vegas Bowl vs. Northwestern.

On 12/3/2023 at 3:06 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Yep, this is potentially U$C v Tulane part two. Zero upside for the Ducks.

EastBayDuck Dad, Zero upside? I beg to differ. How about 12-2 vice 11-3 with a lot of well-deserved opprobrium (if we lose)? I believe DL, the team, and the program will opt for 12-2.

Merry Christmas, and I remain VR,

KCDuck1

Edited by KCDuck1
  • Thumbs Up 1