Annie

Okay, I'm Getting Excited About the Fiesta Bowl

1) Bo will be playing--and maybe that will inspire other NFL-potential Duck players to join him.

2) It is a New Year's Day bowl!

3) The Liberty players, coaches, and fans are thrilled their team will be in the Fiesta Bowl and that kind of excitement is contagious.

4) See #2! This gives the Ducks the opportunity for an upbeat finish to the season!

GO DUCKS!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 1

Hopefully the Ducks blast this team by 70 points. Teach that cruddy bowl selection committee a lesson. 

• Thumbs Up 2

One more thing, if Bo is out by the half and Ty doesn't score on these guys then we know more about Ty.

• Mic drop 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I’ve been a Duck fan long enough to remember several seasons when Oregon had no chance to play in a bowl game. I’m very excited about the chance for our team to play in The Fiesta Bowl on New Year’s Day. 

Our team gets a couple of extra weeks of practice, they will get a chance to showcase Oregon’s program to recruits, and we will get to see this year’s fine team one last time. Go Ducks !!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

It is what it is. At least OBD get a chance to play in a New Year's Day bowl game. Although Liberty is probably not a "sexy" enough opponent for most of us, you know that they are really hyped up for this game and will play lights out against us.

Just want OBD to play lights out as well, hopefully close out this season on a great note with a victory and look forward to creating havoc in the B1G next season. Go Ducks!

Edited by OceaniaDuck
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Annie....it is OBD members like you that make me love this community so much.  You are making lemonade, and we love to drink it being devoted Duck fans.

BTW...I cannot say who, but females who have been inspired by you have signed up recently to be an OBD member.  They see it is safe here as they read your posts and the reactions to them, and how we welcome all opinions.  You were one of the founding members, and I want to publicly acknowledge how you have always been "one-of-us," yet have shown others by your posts and examples that the water is just fine in this Duck Pond.

• Cool 1
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/3/2023 at 8:40 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Annie....it is OBD members like you that make me love this community so much.  You are making lemonade, and we love to drink it being devoted Duck fans.

BTW...I cannot say who, but females who have been inspired by you have signed up recently to be an OBD member.  They see it is safe here as they read your posts and the reactions to them, and how we welcome all opinions.  You were one of the founding members, and I want to publicly acknowledge how you have always been "one-of-us," yet have shown others by your posts and examples that the water is just fine in this Duck Pond.

Thank you, Charles, for creating and maintaining such a safe and sane forum!

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Nice try, Annie, but this lousy match is exhibit A for why I’m happy to see the traditional bowls go away with the dinosaurs. And no, this ardent long time duck fan can find no excitement is a game with Liberty. Part of the bowl experience is the national quality of the match-ups and friendly repartee with people you meet from other parts of the country.  I don't even know what a Liberty school is or where it might exist or why it is called Liberty.

With Liberty we are playing an obscure school from nowhere. What saddens me most is that we have had a phenomenal quarterback this year, someone who could have led this team to a great victory on a national stage against a traditional power on New Year’s day. No one is going to give a rip about a contest with a Liberty. Bo is wasted on this stage and I hope, for his sake, he changes his mind. 

• Oh no! 1
  • Wow 1

On 12/3/2023 at 8:14 PM, latracey said:

I’ve been a Duck fan long enough to remember several seasons when Oregon had no chance to play in a bowl game. I’m very excited about the chance for our team to play in The Fiesta Bowl on New Year’s Day. 

Our team gets a couple of extra weeks of practice, they will get a chance to showcase Oregon’s program to recruits, and we will get to see this year’s fine team one last time. Go Ducks !!

I turned 70 last September... The first Bowl I experienced Oregon playing in was the year I turned 4... a 1958 Rose Bowl loss to tOSU. After appearances in the 1960 Liberty Bowl and the 1963 Sun Bowl, it was 1989 before OBD had to buy their way into the a sad little trip to Shreveport, LA, for an Independence Bowl victory over the mighty Tulsa Golden Hurricanes.

Most Duck fans were ecstatic for that opportunity.

LOOK HOW FAR WE'VE  COME, PEOPLE!

This is something worth celebrating, despite the circumstances and the "lowly", er,  HUNGRY, undefeated Liberty team opponent.

Sorry folks, but I climbed even higher on the bandwagon when I saw BO was going to play.

LET'S. GO. DUCKS!!!

Edited by woundedknees
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Hey if Bo is playing his last game, this may just be the final flash memory we have of him as a Duck. Yeah it sucks that it isn't a playoff game, or it isn't a big name opponent. But 20 years ago this would be a huge game for Oregon.

We've been spoiled the last decade plus. It's both a blessing and a curse. Like I've said before, Oregon should make more playoffs than they miss in the next decade. I truly believe they are going to get the benefit of the doubt now that they are going to one of the big two conferences.

But Liberty is treating this game like it's the biggest in it's history. Oregon owes it to itself to close out this great season strong. It's a great big beautiful tomorrow for Oregon, to quote a line from a Disney ride.

But let's respect the players that gave it all this season. Their last season playing this great sport. To say this game means nothing is a bit disrespectful to everything they have given to this program. Time to close out this chapter in style. The last time Oregon will ever be playing with a Pac-12 patch on their jersey.

That's a legacy that has built up to what is to come. So let's beat Liberty, a good team that is playing in its biggest game ever. Beating Oregon would be their best win ever.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

National ranking after Saturday's games:

526.6 yds/game – 2nd – Oregon

514.9 yds/game – 3rd – Liberty

Rushing offense

302.9 yds/game – 1st – Liberty – 39 TDs

183.8 yds/game – 30th – Oregon – 32 TDs

Passing offense

342.8 yds/game – 2nd – Oregon – 44 TDs

212.0 yds/game – 81st – Liberty – 31 TDs

Scoring

44.2 – 2nd – Oregon

40.8 – 5th – Liberty

I don't care who your opponents are, if you have put up those numbers consistently during the season, you deserve respect of the defense that will face you.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

Each Forum member or poster is entitled to their opinion and feelings. Part of the passion as a fan......

Take the time to read how the rankings and selection process work and you will see that Oregon was given the utmost respect by the committee as the top ranked 2 loss team.

And please OBDF members the committee sets the rankings and the semi games. By selection order the bowls pick the matchups.

This fan will not disrespect Liberty or OBD's for this matchup. This is a NY6 bowl matchup and both teams played their way into this game.

Annie and others recognize and support this game! Bravo......

FYI, this type of game will happen each year as long as the G5 teams get an invite. So are we going to be whiny or upset if #5 Oregon faces #12 Liberty next year in a play in game to reach the quarterfinals?

Perspective..........

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

I’m old enough to remember buying our way into the Weed-Eater bowl. Also old enough to remember entitled fans of other schools acting the Richard Noggin. Don't be A Richard Noggin fan base. Stay humble Ducks!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bo playing in this bowl by itself makes it worth watching.  I would go if I could just to say thanks in person for a great 2 years and representing the Ducks so well.  I have loved watching this team all year.  Didn't end like I hoped but Oregon is in great shape moving forward but I am going to celebrate the present as long as I can. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Remember when Boise St beat OK in the 2007 Fiesta bowl? Is Liberty the Boise St of the east? Probably not but I'll be watching to find out. 

It's always been my feeling that bowl games are a reward for a team's hard work. Getting to the Fiesta Bowl is a much bigger reward than going to the Independence Bowl. 

One thing I find interesting is fans will watch Oregon play Portland St but balk when Oregon's set to play Liberty in the Fiesta Bowl. Fickle?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Annie's excited, and I can guarantee you Liberty is excited.

Many may not be excited, but this is an honor, and I am of the thinking the program needs to give the respect this game deserves, or we will find out what disrespect gets you. We are a proud program, but pride doesn't work when ego gets in the way.

This will be a great test of just what kind of pride this program has. I hope it is deep, and honors the opportunity to shine our true colors. I can guarantee you the colors that come out when that pride gets bruised aren't the colors we want.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Thoughts on this:

Had the Fuskies done what is good and propper for them to do, and lose to Oregon, FSU would be in the CFP…and Oregon….Likely playing Liberty in the Fiesta Bowl?! 😂 

Liberty, and schools like it (Hillsdale/George Fox/ect) are surging for good reason (classical liberal arts/great books) and their athletics are probably going to follow .  In 10 years this may not look like punching down.  Think Notre Dame past.  Was Pepperdine ever good?

This coaching staff are a class act and the team reflects that.   The future looks awesome.

I can’t get the image of the football bouncing off the zebra out of my mind.  

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/4/2023 at 6:49 AM, Haywarduck said:

Annie's excited, and I can guarantee you Liberty is excited.

Many may not be excited, but this is an honor, and I am of the thinking the program needs to give the respect this game deserves, or we will find out what disrespect gets you. We are a proud program, but pride doesn't work when ego gets in the way.

This will be a great test of just what kind of pride this program has. I hope it is deep, and honors the opportunity to shine our true colors. I can guarantee you the colors that come out when that pride gets bruised aren't the colors we want.

I agree @Haywarduck, and I also think it will be a test of the fan base.  I think with the national following OBD have built over the years, there will be plenty of green and yellow in the stands.

I know we have folks on this site that are not impressed and don’t want to support OBD, or think that our stars should sit this out, but I hope there is enough love of the game in our stars that they will play, and have enough of a route going they can sit the second half.

We may not fill the venue, but I hope to see way more Oregon colors than Liberty colors in the stand.

As far as I am concerned, players have no greater risk of injury in the last game of the year than they do in the first game of the year. 

I do not expect to see Bo sacked or even hurried, and he shouldn’t need to run given the weapons at his disposal.

The other awesome thing about a NY6 game is the recruiting angle.  What a great opportunity for OBD!

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/4/2023 at 7:32 AM, Marshall Lucky said:

Had the Fuskies done what is good and propper for them to do, and lose to Oregon...

I love this!  💚💛

I've gone through all seven stages of the grieving process over Friday's game:

Shock, denial, anger, bargaining, depression, testing, and finally, acceptance.

With acceptance comes perspective. If we all could have looked into the crystal ball in July and seen the current outcome (aside from losing twice to Fusky) would that change how we feel about the season?

1. OBD goes 11-2

2. Plays in the last Pac-12  CG

3. Misses going to the CFP by 6 points total for the season 

4. Plays in a NYD 6 bowl

5. Bo is a Heisman finalist

6. Offense and defense are top 20

7. Demolishes Utah in SLC, Spoiled Children at Autzen and then Beavus in the final Civil War

Who would have said in July "What a crappy year! Oregon sucks! Fire Lanning! Boycott the Fiesta Bowl!"?

We are all suffering from the curse of unmet expectations because OBD were so close to the prize. Heck, at one point Georgia and tOSU were #1 and #2. How do you think their fan bases are feeling? Not to mention FSU's?

I'm as disappointed as anyone but won't let that blind me to the fact that 2023 was a very good season that still has a game to go. With a special HC who has the program on an upward trajectory and with a special QB who cares enough about his teammates, adopted college and town and his legacy to give it one more go.

So I will be either in attendance or watching the Fiesta Bowl on TV, with a favorite beverage and wearing every color of Duck gear that I have. 

Rooting for OBD.

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Annie, I appreciate the enthusiasm but's it's hard for me to get excited about this game.  This just isn't a good matchup regardless of the stat lines.

That said, if Bo and some of the other draft-eligible players choose to don the Oregon uniform one last time then I am honored to support them.  Of course I'll watch!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/3/2023 at 7:00 PM, Annie said:

1) Bo will be playing--and maybe that will inspire other NFL-potential Duck players to join him.

2) It is a New Year's Day bowl!

3) The Liberty players, coaches, and fans are thrilled their team will be in the Fiesta Bowl and that kind of excitement is contagious.

4) See #2! This gives the Ducks the opportunity for an upbeat finish to the season!

GO DUCKS!

Good for you Annie!  I wholeheartedly agree.  

GO DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 2