Charles Fischer

Bitter Beaver: Oregon is to Blame for Oregon State's Decline

They never want to look inward, at who is absolutely responsible for this...

From the Oregonian--Letter to the Editor:

"Everyone connected with Oregon Ducks football should be ashamed of themselves.

They almost single-handedly ruined Oregon State football. They could have made a stand against the unbridled greed of college football and the broadcast networks. They could have recommitted to the survival of the Pac 12; if they had, then all the other remaining schools would have jumped on board. TV deals would have eventually been worked out to provide plenty of money to those programs.

Instead, the Ducks caved, mortally wounding a terrific Beavers program. It’s shameful conduct on every level. If the Ducks think they will gain more of everything in the Big Ten, they are in for a rude awakening. Karma has a way of equalizing bad behavior. Karma is coming, and I for one will enjoy every minute of it."

Jim Spurr, Cannon Beach

-----------------------------------------------------------------

No, Jim, you are mistaken about the karma.  It is here right now, and Oregon State is experiencing it for decades of terrible management while slopping up at the trough of Pac-12 Media Revenue.

FISHDUCK.COM

I am sick of the pretentious articles by John Canzano and other writers who portray the Beavers as the aggrieved party in the Pac-12 dissolution…

You have a small following, and a poor brand. Now whose fault is that?

• Great post! 3
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Karma??… I'm pretty sure the demise of the Beavers is due to their own karma ... this guy's has his head up his... erm, beaver dam. 

• Thumbs Up 1

These kooks actually think that karma owes them some kind of 'moral victory', what a bunch of boobs!

• Haha 1

On 12/5/2023 at 4:05 PM, Charles Fischer said:

...while slopping up at the trough of Pac-12 Media Revenue.

I forgot to mention how they now are trying to steal this year's conference revenues, and all future revenue streams from this and prior years.

Real Stand-up people, these Beavers....

giphy.gif

• Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

I got in a little spat yesterday with a Beavus fan for pretty much the same thing. After 3 minutes of telling him the truth the argument was over.

Most of their fans have no clue about the reality of what happened. They choose to blame Puddles for everything that has happened to them.

if they think Karma is coming they are correct, in the form of the Mt West, their bowl game, their recruiting, the loss of most of their studs to the portal, and quite possibly Portland State.

• Mic drop 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Isn't Ms Karma Jonathon Smith's flight attendant on the way to MSU?

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1

Ahh, in a few years they will be right at home as middling's in the Mt. West. 

• Haha 1

I am as unhappy as anyone that the Pac-12 has dissolved (as is every Duck fan I know). I understand OSU's troubles and wish them well. I do however find it hard to swallow that OSU fans in general who have continually ripped UO for many things, Uncle Phil, fancy uniforms, Big Brother, NIL, etc. somehow feel that we owed them a lifeline for future existence or that we had some hand in the destruction. TV-$'s and big business did this and it will continue.

Sad part is that nothing this person said would have saved the Pac-12 and were the situation reversed, they would have gladly left the Ducks behind laughing all the way. At the end of the day, unless you are employed by the OSU athletic department or the Pac-12, your real life will not be changed by this (nor will ours). They may be forced to live their lives through 2-3 star kids, but is that really that far from where they live now?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This year’s average home attendance

38,684 – Cal - biggest crowd USC

36,969 - OSU - biggest crowd UW

33,219 – Stanford - biggest crowd UA (other than Cal)

28,023 – WSU - biggest crowd Wisconsin

Ducks:  55,895

UW:  68,814

Fannies in seats, and TV ratings, create value for those who exercised a choice.  The reason OS and WSU had no choice is self-evident.  "Plenty of money" is like using the terminology "pay your fair share."  Fair and plenty mean something much different to those without choices, and shouldn't be used to drag down others.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Let's see. Before Oregon left for the B1G, I think USC and UCLA were already gone, then CO, then AZ, ASU, and Utah all announced that they were about to leave, and around that time Stanford and Cal announced they were leaving. But, sure, Oregon is to blame for the demise of the PAC-12.

• Applause 3

Colorado had announced they were leaving.  The day prior to "the Pac12 meeting" Arizona had a deal with the Big12 that was on "secret-hold" until they saw the Pac12 deal.   The Big Ten found out about Arizona and re-engaged with UW and Oregon the night before the meeting.  (I think they called UW first).  Arizona jumped into bed with the Big12 after they saw the Pac12 "skinny" offer - it was like a speed dial call after UW/UO said they were going. 

UA knew they were getting more with the Big12 and Yormark than the Pac9 and didn't hesitate.   ASU and Utah followed quickly after seeing the Pac offer, as well.   That left Cal, Stanford, OSU and WSU.  Yormark said "uh, no thank you."

Oregon and Oregon State were like best buds in middle school. But then high school and college happened. Oregon got better grades, went to college, and got a job in engineering. Meanwhile Oregon State slacked off, got a job at a burger stand, and now works middle management at the engineering firm.

It's painful to be stuck in the mud, all the while you see your former buddy lap you over and over again. It's painful, you can't blame yourself for your failures. Your buddy abandoned you because they had a rich uncle. Forget the fact they outworked you every day.

It's a prime example of why that friend will stay stuck in the mud.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What's that old saying.... better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Just Ducky and other OBD friends, instead of simply bargaining for the Pac-12 brand in a settlement of senseless, greed-driven litigation and closing a reverse merger with the MW so that the Pac-12, while a G5 conference stays alive, OSU and WSU are paying millions of dollars to the MW to play MW games and will not be eligible for a MW title and possible entry to the playoff?

This Is Insane! As is the belief that any court above the circuit, 'I need to be popular to be reelected,' court, is going to allow a partner that bargained for a twelfth of the proceeds to rake in 50% via a loophole. 

The HC, starting QB, and backup QB have all bailed. This is Oregon's fault. How about Martinez's DUI? This only happened because the lad was so stressed out by Puddles immoral conduct, right?

WSU? So long to the starting QB and best WR. This is UW's fault? UW had an opening and is helping WSU scheduling-wise.

Oregon does not have an opening. Rob, please do nothing to help these bozos out on the scheduling front. And the bozos incluse OSU AD Barnes.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh great! 🙄 Now were stuck having to play them every year with there snotty attitude towards us!  Especially after what they are trying pull with stealing millions from us.

Canzano: Civil War is on for 2024 and beyond

Beavers and Ducks finalizing deal

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Beavers and Ducks finalizing deal.

This can’t be true

Having not paid much attention I ask the forum a question: If college football dumps the NCAA and goes into some kind of super conference then isn't it possible UO could be placed in a more geographically appropriate subdivision? Like UCLA, USC, Washington, Oregon and perhaps a handful of other westerly located football schools? I would like that more than having to fly our students in all sports wayyyyy the heck around the country as part of the Big10

😮

Edited by Annie

DangItAll!!!

There goes our BSU Revenge Tour! Strike that, should had read how the exchange went... Gave up a home game against Texas Tech, next season.

Not only that, but it's trading a HOME game for a trip to the NEW, Impro... er, Down-Sized gReesier stadium up north!

Way to sewer the season! Flushed with success!

Edited by woundedknees

I have a friend who went on a rant like this and I said you sound like a victim, and things don't end well for victims. I then told him the OSU program has a long proud history which will overcome this and anything ahead if they don't look at things like a victim.

He shrugged his shoulders and said I was right. I know I blamed the trojans and still do, but I have moved on, also told him that, first.

Not sure most beaver fans will move on, they like to play the victim, and that won't end well when playing the Ducks!

• Applause 1

Another demonstration of the stupidity by those who make decisions for us Oregon fans.  You do NOT reward the attempt  by Oregon State to steal 35 million in media revenue from Oregon...by scheduling to play them.  Giving your approval to detestable behavior? 

Rob Mullens...have you lost your mind?

The Civil War will NEVER be the same again.  Never will the majority of fans go in with typical good-natured rivalry feelings.  Fans like I who have been like that, a Platypus, now look on OSU fans who feel we are the reason for their demise as the scumbags they are.

We do not want to be in each other's presence.  

How stupid can you be?  No surprise that Corvallis is in on this, but how can you be so dense Rob Mullens?

Mr. FishDuck

Personally I'm glad it's still on.  Granted it won't be the same as before, but what is in college football going forward?

As for the money grab, we would have done the same thing in their shoes.  Besides, this isn't going to fly once you get it out of an eastern Washington courtroom IMHO.  At some point cooler heads will prevail and a negotiated settlement for the distribution of P12 assets will be reached and we can all move on.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2023 at 2:55 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Another demonstration of the stupidity by those who make decisions for us Oregon fans.  You do NOT reward the attempt  by Oregon State to steal 35 million in media revenue from Oregon...by scheduling to play them.  Giving your approval to detestable behavior? 

Rob Mullens...have you lost your mind?

The Civil War will NEVER be the same again.  Never will the majority of fans go in with typical good-natured rivalry feelings.  Fans like I who have been like that, a Platypus, now look on OSU fans who feel we are the reason for their demise as the scumbags they are.

We do not want to be in each other's presence.  

How stupid can you be?  No surprise that Corvallis is in on this, but how can you be so dense Rob Mullens?

Why would you agree to play every other year in a stadium smaller than the smallest B1G stadium, that of Northwestern?

At the very least condition playing these whiners on the lawsuit being dropped.

Once again, Rob drops the scheduling ball. Playing OSU in Corvallis next season screws the Ducks out of a home game and screws the merchants in Eugene/Springfield, Oregon fans, and also weakens the SOS.

Senseless.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Few are honest enough to admit their problems are their own doing.

Even fewer are educated enough on the issue to be logical or enlightened. 

A casual perusal of the past 20+ years will show Beaver football less then desirable for anyone not already attached to black and orange.

Even now their wild attempts to save the Pac are fruitless. Adding MWC teams won't encourage tv $$ to appear.

It will still be mwc teams.

Put a ring on a pig, it's still just bacon.

One other thought about keeping civil war game, it helps appearances.

The court case, the Oregon legislature, public opinion are all areas where we want to be careful not to burn bridges. 

Maybe Rob Mullens is being crazy like a fox.

As for the game itself, I see it becoming a rather one sided affair. A group of 5 school with 2 and 3☆ players vs a power 5(4) school with 80% blue-chip studs.

So bring it on. A 40+ point beatdown every year, I could get use to that.

• Thumbs Up 2

The thing is, to me, doesn't this additional game make for 14 regular-season games for the Ducks next year? I mean, isn't that kind of grueling?

Clearly, the calmer, wiser authorities at both schools (if there are any left who fit that description) need to call a time out and send both programs to their rooms, and let the dust settle before approaching the possibility of renewing the rivalry. Too much boiling over right now to access the bigger picture.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Annie, The Civil War game is replacing our game with Texas Tech. 13 regular season games but only 7 home games.

Edited by JB89

I will disagree with most of the people posting and say great work Rob Mullens.

Preserving the Civil War is important to many Oregonians.

While some fans of both teams do not want to keep the Civil War, I believe the majority of fans and residents of Oregon will enjoy the continuation of the game.

If too many blowouts occur then the two universities can always cancel the series in the future.

Rob was smart to get us a recurring road game for the years we have five B1G home games and a guaranteed home game for the years with only 4 B1G home games.

With all the travel being required for the B1G it was smart to get a road game that is only 40 miles away.

This decision also eliminated a game with the Big 12 that some on this board have advocated for him to accomplish.

Hopefully, Rob continues to do what is beneficial for the University of Oregon and the State of Oregon.

• Thumbs Up 5

So what do these states have in common?

Iowa

Florida

Utah

Colorado

Oklahoma

Oregon

Washington 

(and a few others if I thought longer)

They all have schools that play D1 football where...

University of 'so and so'

and

'So and so' State University

...play in different conferences. While there are rivalries that cross conferences, that is not always the case. 

Oregon (and Fusky, for that matter) gets zero benefit and only has something to lose by scheduling the in-state Ag school annually. I understand the desire to keep the tradition going but it helps the Ducks out not one iota to do this annually.

At first I thought keeping the 'rivalry' going would be a good thing. Not anymore after watching the evisceration of the Pac-12 and the blame and finger pointing at the Ducks.

Past some modest and symbolic buyout, Oregon owes OSU and Wazzu nothing. The fact is that the talent disparity will likely only get bigger. Best to leave p-o'ed and fanny hurt Beavus alone.

• Thumbs Up 2

This game won’t be any better than playing eastern Washington or Portland state. Might as well schedule in Treasure Valley while we are at it if they still play football.

98% of the players know nothing about that rivalry and probably don’t care. But after hearing the bashing they receive when they run onto the field might inspire them to beat the crud out of them. 😂

And now I see Beavers complaining about the newly scheduled game next year. I guess they just like to complain.

• Thumbs Up 1

No, Oregon is not to blame, USC/UCLA set the ball rolling, but you have to look at the PAC-12 leadership all the way back to Larry Scott to realize who is at fault. The PAC could have grabbed OU/OSU, UT and either Baylor or TCU after aTm left if they knew what they were doing. That could have kept the PAC permanently in place, granted the Longhorn Network would have been something that they would have needed to accept. But, alas, the leadership was run by an Ivy League tennis player more interested in being in the Bohemian Club and other uber elegist clubs rather than having a successful conference as long has he was raking in a big paycheck. 

Oregon State has become a farm team for the rest of the Power teams. This will only be reality for the next few weeks. Any player that wants to upgrade their position in the ncaa will leave this junior college in a hurry. I do believe, and I repeat myself, the rats will end up being a grade below PSU. And that is not Penn State.

• Yikes! 1