OregonDucks

Florida State Might Be Joining B1G?

Florida State is working to leave the ACC and join the Big Ten within “the next month.””

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

Rumor has it that Florida State will be heading to the Big Ten

I'm guessing that this is pure unadulterated clickbait.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ha! The source is @MHver3. He's undoubtedly one of the least trusted conspiracy theorists on Twitter. First off, he posted this days ago and nobody paid attention to it because...obvious reasons. 

Here's another gem from him from the other day:

"In what is perhaps the wildest rumor I’ve ever shared here: my source telling me that SEC and B10 have had talks with the NFL regarding funding NIL and having schools sponsored by NFL teams as a farm system that would develop their draft picks." - @MHver3

Time to come out of mommy and daddy’s basement and find a girlfriend to occupy his time

WWW.SPORTSKEEDA.COM

The college football season recently concluded amid the controversy around FSU...

FSU (and Clemson) have been extremely frustrated and outspoken about the ACC media deal.

FSU is reportedly livid at ESPN and the SEC for being excluded from the playoff. If the B1G is willing to take a non AAU college and FSU has found a way out of the grant of rights this is a possibility. I hope that the B1G takes FSU, Clemson and/or Notre Dame in the next round of expansion.(it's not if but when at this point). Like Oregon was, the ACC schools are worried about the big 2 power conferences dominating college football and they don’t want to be left behind. 

Edited by OregonDucks

Why not acknowledge where the money and power is these days, and have two big conferences, the Fox Conference and the ESPN Conference?

Playoff seedings would be based on TV ratings, not won-lost records or the "eye test".

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The University of South Florida was recently awarded AAU membership; Florida State University was not designated an AAU member university.

Unless Fox is completely calling the B1G shots, unless B1G Prex are more concerned about being at the top of the Power 2 in football, this move is not going to happen. The B1G will wait for Notre Dame and add another school when ND comes on board.

Southeastern AAU member schools UVA, UNC, Duke, Miami, and Georgia Tech have a better shot at joining the B1G than FSU.

Of course, today one should never short the power of the all-mighty dollar.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

FSU would need a buddy to come along. No, it won't ever be ND. ND has 1/12 shot of making the playoffs every year, why would they ever join a conference now?

FSU and Clemson.

The iron is hot!!!

On 12/11/2023 at 2:50 PM, 1Funduck said:

FSU would need a buddy to come along. No, it won't ever be ND. ND has 1/12 shot of making the playoffs every year, why would they ever join a conference now?

FSU and Clemson.

The iron is hot!!!

I reiterate I do not see the B1G presidents bringing in one let alone two schools that are not AAU members. Unless the two schools are willing to pay huge exit fees the iron at this time IMO is not all that hot. ESPN has an on-the-cheap, terrific broadcast deal with the ACC. ESPN wanted Oklahoma and Texas. I don't see ESPN wanting to spend money to break up the ACC and crater the ACC Network.

I think Fox would love these 2 schools in its quiver and as an in-your-face to ESPN but I don't think that Fox has the same power over B1G presidents as ESPN has over the SEC. The B1G prides itself in being academically superior to the SEC. As noted above, the University of South Florida was just granted AAU membership and FSU was denied membership.

When the ACC's current membership breaks up, I think that Clemson and FSU will be off to the SEC where both fit. Notre Dame is not only a bigger national brand than these 2 but also has the academics to get on board the B1G.

I believe that both of the Power 2 conferences will go to 20 teams. If a Baker-like pay-for-play model is adopted I can see Northwestern and Vanderbilt opting out. 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2023 at 10:38 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Unless Fox is completely calling the B1G shots, unless B1G Prex are more concerned about being at the top of the Power 2 in football, this move is not going to happen. The B1G will wait for Notre Dame and add another school when ND comes on board.

Southeastern AAU member schools UVA, UNC, Duke, Miami, and Georgia Tech have a better shot at joining the B1G than FSU.

The B1G is an ATHLETIC CONFERENCE, not an academic alliance. Something that the PAC-10/12 presidents and chancellors lost sight of. 

If the B1G wants to compete with the SEC on the football field then they should grab FSU and Clemson, as soon as they are available. Those are two of only a handful of programs that have been able to go toe to toe with the cream of the SEC and beat them for national championships. 

• Applause 1

On 12/11/2023 at 3:42 PM, OregonDucks said:

The B1G is an ATHLETIC CONFERENCE, not an academic alliance. Something that the PAC-10/12 presidents and chancellors lost sight of. 

If the B1G wants to compete with the SEC on the football field then they should grab FSU and Clemson, as soon as they are available. Those are two of only a handful of programs that have been able to go toe to toe with the cream of the SEC and beat them for national championships. 

I do not disagree with you but I believe that the B1G powers-that-be would strongly disagree and these are the people who matter.

• Thumbs Up 2

Jon, I respectfully disagree with your POV that AAU means anything anymore. Sure, it does have some relevance, but if you don't strike when you have the chance, then your conference could pay dearly. The B1G is about making the most prestigious conference in 'FootBall' and basketball as its sidekick. Hands Down. 

As for ND, they are an afterthought and fading. They have been resting on their laurels for decades now. The last 10 years, they made it to the playoffs only to get waxed. IMO, they are drifting into irrelevancy. They won't change if they don't have to. By the time they do, it may be too late. They may be a bottom feeder. Everybody has $10's of millions of dollars...... Everybody.

• Applause 1

On 12/11/2023 at 1:42 PM, OregonDucks said:

Totally agree!!

I've dismissed any pretense of the conferences caring about academics anymore.

The concept of "student-athlete" in college football is laughable now.

They're "professional athletes with a side of 'student'", these days.

Yeah...if the B1G cared about academics, then how would they NOT take Stanford and Cal?

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/11/2023 at 8:12 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Yeah...if the B1G cared about academics, then how would they NOT take Stanford and Cal?

Because Fox did not see the value in the SFO market? Because the 2 schools failed to invest enough in football and basketball? One of the main reasons the ACC/ESPN got the 2 SFO schools on the cheap. 

One thing I do not want to see is an FSU or Clemson, or any other school, brought in as a full share partner while Oregon and UW are junior partners.. Would either school leave the ACC for less than a full share? The ACC unlike the Pac-12 is not imploding. The ACC has agreed to extra shares for teams that participate in moneyball playoffs, And more concessions may be coming Clemson and FSU's way.

The travel is bad enough as of today without adding on travel to Florida and South Carolina. Neither FSU nor Clemson is a fit like the Pac-4 that has had a close relationships with the B1G for decades. 

How accretive would these 2 schools be? Notre Dame draws far more viewers than does Clemson and FSU and is one hour from Chicago. If you are going to add two more mouths to feed you best be sure that they will put food on the table. Also, we are headed toward an era of a larger distribution to teams that participate in moneyball playoffs. Want to add 2 schools to the competition? Two schools without academic barriers to recruiting. 

I'll believe the B1G takes in a non-AAU member school only when I see it. 17 of the 18 B1G schools are AAU members and Nebraska was an AAU member when it joined the conference or it would not have received an invitation. 

Today, Notre Dame is the only no-brainer addition for every conference.

• Thumbs Up 2

“Florida State calls emergency board meeting, could take first step toward leaving ACC, per reports”

There are also rumblings that Clemson might have found a way out of the ACC grant of right.  

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Momentum has only increased for an ACC departure after FSU was left out of the College Football...

WWW.ESPN.COM

Being left out of the College Football Playoff has the Seminoles again thinking...

IMG_7879.jpeg

Edited by OregonDucks

Maybe FSU & Clemson will rebuild the PAC; they can be the PAC-4 (Pacific Atlantic Conference). 🤣 

• Haha 1

I’m sure FSU is interested, but why would the big10 want them? The SEC isn’t interested.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

On 12/21/2023 at 10:09 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

I’m sure FSU is interested, but why would the big10 want them? The SEC isn’t interested.

Because Florida State has won 2 National Championships in the past 10 years (beating top SEC teams), brings lots of eyeballs for TV advisers while expanding the media market footprint and further opens up the talent rich Florida recruiting market?

Edited by OregonDucks

On 12/22/2023 at 12:18 PM, OregonDucks said:

Because Florida State has won 2 National Championships in the past 10 years (beating top SEC teams), brings lots of eyeballs for TV advisers while expanding the media market footprint and further opens up the talent rich Florida recruiting market?

The earliest FSU could join the B1G would be 2025 but leaving the ACC will require a ton of capital and likely, large sums forked over to the lawyers. I do not believe that B1G administrators are working behind the scenes to break up the ACC so FSU can be brought in as a full share partner. FOX maybe but not the B1G presidents.

I also believe that the B1G rightly or wrongly, will not go after a school that is not an AAU member. USF was just accepted as an AAU member but not FSU. ACC AAU member schools are UNC, Duke, UVA, Pitt, Georgia Tech, and Miami. 

FSU and Clemson fit the SEC and already have an annual game vs. an SEC opponent. 

The B1G eye on the prize is on Notre Dame. A team that draws far more eyeballs than does FSU.

Good reasons, but Deep South and BIg10 just does fine in Florida. Who knows what’s going to happen, but I think they only go to 20 if ND is involved. I’d predict big12 is where FSU lands, if the concept of conferences continues as is.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Applause 1

THEATHLETIC.COM

Why are the Seminoles looking for an exit strategy, and what do their moves mean for the rest of the ACC?

If I had a vote I'd bring in ND and Duke. We all now what ND brings, Duke is intriguing. They bring a consistent football program with one of the most storied basketball programs ever into the B1G.

I have not looked it up but I'm sure Duke has one of the biggest followings in all of men's basketball, I know basketball isn't the big moneymaker but it does make money. Bringing high viewership in the month of January, February, and March certainly would make the media guys happy.

• Thumbs Up 1

WWW.ESPN.COM

Florida State is suing the ACC over the league's grant of rights and $130 million withdrawal fee, becoming the first school to challenge a grant of rights in court.

On 12/22/2023 at 1:35 PM, Dave23 said:

If I had a vote I'd bring in ND and Duke. We all now what ND brings, Duke is intriguing. They bring a consistent football program with one of the most storied basketball programs ever into the B1G.

I have not looked it up but I'm sure Duke has one of the biggest followings in all of men's basketball, I know basketball isn't the big moneymaker but it does make money. Bringing high viewership in the month of January, February, and March certainly would make the media guys happy.

Good call. Another school that would be a geographic fit, AAU member fit, basketball fit, and improving in football would be Kansas. 

Unless Notre Dame comes up earlier, I do not see the B1G expanding until a year or less before the next media deal negotiation. 

Going to 20 teams would set up 4 5-team divisions. One division that would make sense is the 'Pac-4' plus Kansas. 

X-Cuse Me! USF 45 Syracuse 0 

I'd want to leave too. 

Very interesting discussion today on College Football Live regarding the FSU litigation including where FSU would go if it can free itself from the ACC Grant of Rights.

Pete Thamel noted that FSU is not an AAU member which would hurt the Seminoles' chances of joining the B1G. He did note that the FSU President, a Harvard grad (like Larry, SIGH) is doing all he can to obtain AAU membership for FSU and believes that FSU is on the cusp of approval.

Thamel also noted that Florida would not be thrilled about FSU joining the SEC but A+M wasn't thrilled about Texas joining the SEC. The Florida market is covered with UF but Thamel asked whether the SEC would want the B1G to plant a flag in SEC country. He also noted that other ACC disgruntled teams UNC and UVA would be better fits for the B1G and would bring in the North Carolina market. NC is the 7 most populous state in the country and its population is growing. 

Thamel said it would be a chess game between the B1G and the SEC. (Thus, also between FOX and ESPN which he didn't say.) Andrea Adelson noted that one thing FSU will not do is go independent and suggested that the B12 could be an interim fit. But the B12 does not bring in more money than FSU is bringing in today.

The law firm of Greenburg, Traurig (GT) is representing FSU. I did a lot of work with GT over my career. An excellent law firm that bills large. 

One winner in this fight will be GT if there is no one else.

Uh, I believe they got one natty 10 years ago, previous titles were in '99 and '93?  2013 they beat SEC Auburn, but '99 was Virginia Tech (then Big East) and '93 was Nebraska (then Big-8) so 1 title (Which WAS over an SEC team) in the last 24 years.

Edited by JDuck
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just don't see the B1G taking Florida State, it would be an isolated school that seems to not fit the culture at all, Oregon/Washington have more in common with the B1G schools than Florida State.  Tallahassee the town and Florida the state are just so different compared to most of the towns/states that are in the B1G.  

You would also expect the last bit of expansion to come in twos, Notre Dame is of course the B1G's white whale, but I could easily see Virginia, Duke, or NC as the next to come in.  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/22/2023 at 11:43 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Another school that would be a geographic fit, AAU member fit, basketball fit, and improving in football would be Kansas. 

Didn't think of them but now that you mention it Kansas could be a even better fit then bringing in two private schools. One USC is enough not to mention having to put up with ND another perennial overrated team. Never have been a Duke fan.

• Thanks 1