Charles Fischer

Buckeyes About the Ducks: 'Feels Like They Are Building a Monster'

Well now...it seems Our Beloved Ducks have raised some eyebrows in Columbus. Below are some comments posted in one of their message boards/forums and let's first start with the good ones...

"Oregon thoughts? Feels like they are building a monster with Lanning's SEC mentality with Nike money. Don't be shocked if they dominate the transfer portal (already go Gabriel watch out for Nolen). Recruiting at a much higher level than years past and doing it in the trenches. If Lanning stays I think they win a Natty. Watching them from afar it feels like early Dabo at Clemson days."

"In five years, Oregon will be the most dominant college football program in the country. Joining the Big Ten gets them coast to coast exposure and recruiting with a billionaire financer." 

"He's building Georgia of the Northwest."

Scoring this play_Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

More nice thoughts...  (Entertained yet?)

"Oregon has always had all the resources to be an elite program, they just never had the right coach in charge. Now they have a guy who worked for both Saban and Kirby and won a national championship under both. Lanning was also the guy who recruited and coached that 2021 Georgia defense. We’ll see how they transition to the B1G but the way they are recruiting with the style of play he has implemented has them on a very good trajectory. Lanning looks to be an ace recruiter and is shaping up to be a hell of a football coach. Will be fun battling them moving forward."

"Lanning is doing a good job. Picking up Gabriel will mean the Oregon offense doesn't miss a beat."

"Oregon will be what everyone was expecting USC to be when realignment was announced. Lanning is building a really good program and stacking classes. They’ve been stacking the trenches on both sides of the ball since he got there."

"I think he wins their first championship there, honestly. His aggressive mentality will shock the B1G like Urban did in 2012. I think guys like playing for him as well. Being in the B1G gives them a national stage that the PAC couldn’t."

Oregon won here_Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Ruh-Roh!  Some don't agree....

"Agree they have a solid program but haven't won anything of substance yet. Last I checked UW beat them twice this year and that genius Lanning cost them game 1 for sure with not so bright calls on several 4th downs. Lets see how they compete in new conference before anointing them a super power."

"Chip Kelly part 2"

"He loses to arch rival Washington and Kalen twice and is considered their future?.."

"He has lost every big game he has coached in. If Day coached like he did vs. Washington, this board would have exploded."

"What everyone forgets is going to Oregon is like getting drafted to Green Bay. You may win - but you are so far off the grid none of your family can get there. Its not a hot bed..."

The Duck waves his flag_Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

They're saying some nice things now...

More of the less-than-amused among Ohio State fans....

"I’ll believe that when I see it."

"He’s the shiny new toy. I think he’s a good coach, but I don’t get why our board is slobbering over the guy."

"Playing in the Pac12 is vastly different than playing in The Big10. Far better Defenses in The Big10 and a far more physical brand of Football in The Big10. No Team from the defunct Pac12 is gonna come in Here and run rough shot over us period."

"Problem for them is Lanning isn't going to stay long. He'll be the next coach at an SEC school. Auburn, Bama, when Saban retires, Florida.. etc. He's a good coach. He knows what winning looks like."

"Why because they got a decent transfer QB? I think we should pump brakes a bit. People thought the same thing when Helfrich took to the playoffs and then we shut them up real quick."

Call the Duck_Fox Sports Video.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/13/2023 at 8:31 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Far better Defenses in The Big10 and a far more physical brand of Football in The Big10.

The BIG consists of Ohio State, Michigan and I can't even keep track of how many Mountain West teams. I mean, Purdue? Really?

• Mic drop 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Back to the compliments...

"I have told many of my friends that I predict Oregon to win the BIG next year. They have the talent and the dudes you need on both sides of the line."

"Uncle Phil is why I didn’t want Ducks joining. Gonna be a B1G problem."

"I think Oregon is definitely on the upswing. Lanning seems to be a dude and with Oregon's resource, geographical location, and moving on to the B1G his net will be even larger. He will dominate the left coast teams in recruiting California's skill positions and he’ll dip into the south for the trenches. It always boils down to quarterback play so if he can find someone as savvy as Nix then yes, they will be a perennial contender."

Fans love the Duck_Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Some tOSU fans are clearly NOT believers....

"They nearly beat Cam Newton and Auburn. Similar to Oregon almost beating Washington the first time. I don’t see a difference on defense from past Oregon to now."

"Lets see how they do in the B1G playing physical football EVERY week, then you can crown them. I remember a NC game they thought they had won but could not handle the physicality of the B1G."

"Funny how Oregon loses 3 games last year, 2 games this year - and people like the OP think they’re “building a monster” and the next Clemson dynasty."

"Nike money will be filtered though the system in such a way as to not be traced back to Knight. With Oregon as a national program there will be no stopping him. There will be no player they cannot buy if they really want them. Can you imagine Oregon coaches telling a kid, “play for us and we will put you in a Nike commercial” The glitz the glamor. LOL."

Like Ryan Day...Sour Grapes

Ryan Day not liking Oregon defense_Fox Sports Video.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Finish off with the reasonable people among them...just like us at OBD?

"Lanning is a defensive coach that has a tough team/culture and experiencing success on offense. Chip never had a tough team and their defense couldn’t be counted on to win games."

"With all due respect Eugene is not as bad as you think. PAC 12 has a bit of disadvantage as far as TV exposure due to some of their prime time game is starting after 10 pm EST. Joining BIG increase their exposure and brand recognition to the rest of the country. Dan Lanning is a good recruiter and a better coach than Cristobal ( who beat OSU in Columbus few years ago). His only 2 loss is by 6 points by Washington. He will continue to recruit well and adding Gabriel will keep his momentum and Oregon maybe the top 3 team in the BIG."

"In his 2nd year as a head coach? Give him time to be established as a west coast recruiter and solidify the culture. Anyone that doesn’t think Oregon will be a problem is in LaLa land, bud. What’s wrong with the B1G….horrible offenses. He’s immediately a top 3 contender in the B1G next year."

"Last time they came in the Shoe (without Herbert) they won. Most Buckeye fans didn’t see that coming. Don’t sleep on em."

CJ Verdell_Tom Corno (2).jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

We all have our own way of looking at things but it is refreshing that some buckeye fans are taking notice of. OBD's......

As for 2024, much will depend on how DL closes out the early signing period for HS Recruits.  More young talent to keep pace with the tOSU receruiting machine.

Then filling in the needs with top level talent in the TP. Especially on D.. . Walter Nolen would be a big addition.

DL and staff will most likely handle those needs.

Still feel Coach Lanning needs to build his in game coaching chops and be seasoned with experience.

Coaching matters.....

Harbaugh and his staff do not out recruit the buckeyes, they out coach them......

If the 2024 Ducks play more than 14 games next year it could come down to just a handful of in game decisions by DL.

I cannot believe the powerhouse 2024 schedule with tOSU and Michigan on the schedule. Along with Deboar and company.

The wooryworts and nervous nellies are gonna have some sleepless nights as the Ducks play in the big league in 2024.

August cant come soon enough!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oregon will be what everyone was expecting USC to be when realignment was announced. Lanning is building a really good program and stacking classes. They’ve been stacking the trenches on both sides of the ball since he got there.

Thanks for sharing that @Charles Fischer, it just feels good to know non Duck fans also see that Oregon is a far bigger prize than U$uC for the BIG to get from the west coast!

• Thanks 1

The problem with the comparisons to Clemson, USC and others is we aren't any other program. We are Oregon, and that should scare them because we have just kept building and winning, relentlessly.

We aren't a one and done, or a gimmick offense, and we aren't just an SEC type defense. We are an innovative, aggressive program with integrity. We used to be a long shot, but we now are after all the BIG shots, watch out!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 8:37 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Some tOSU fans are clearly NOT believers....

"Lets see how they do in the B1G playing physical football EVERY week, then you can crown them. I remember a NC game they thought they had won but could not handle the physicality of the B1G."

A lot of the arguments that people make against Oregon taking the next step or continuing the momentum into the B10 are pretty valid.  I would agree that Lanning needs to prove he can win a big game, I can agree that Oregon has shown flash and then not backed it up in the past, but the argument that the B10 is going to be a step up in physicality is just bogus.

Other than the big 3 teams there isn't any sort of step up in physicality, nobody talks about the physicality of Maryland, Indiana, or Purdue.  You can't tell me that even WSU was less physical when they beat up on Wisconsin two years straight, or UW destroying MSU for two years, or Oregon beating tOSU in the big house.  

Michigan, tOSU, and Penn St. play two physical games a year, and then act like the rest of the league is just sooooo tough, when in reality it's been incredibly soft.  

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

They're better than SEC fans, generally. Other than some Georgia fans, those folks down south think the Ducks play touch football.

All we can say is, "okay. Let's strap it up and see what you got."

It's gonna be fun, if not always pretty.

Plus, next year, we got both UWs. I've been told by some nice Wisconsin fans (are any of them mean?), they look forward to seeing the Ducks in Camp Randall. They are excited as much as we are. 

It's funny that the 2 fan bases we most recently faced (and beat) seen the most eager to engage pleasantly. Some are downright respectful of us and OBD! 

Let the games begin, right? 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/14/2023 at 10:39 AM, The Grateful Duck said:

It's funny that the 2 fan bases we most recently faced (and beat) seen the most eager to engage pleasantly. Some are downright respectful of us and OBD! 

As we get closer to playing in the B1G....I anticipate that we have some fantastic discussions with fans of other B1G schools, and I will certainly welcome them.  I also know some Trolls will get through our registration, but our superb moderators will hide the offending posts from public view within minutes.  I'll zap the bastards, and we can then continue the friendly banter with B1G fans.

• Applause 3

Mr. FishDuck

Conclusive Evidence that they are scared to death of the Ducks is why they can’t stop talking about us. Soon they will be loosing sleep.

I’m sure they can’t get over the last butt whipping they took the last time we traveled to osu and mich.

On 12/13/2023 at 8:31 PM, Charles Fischer said:

No Team from the defunct Pac12 is gonna come in Here and run rough shot over us period.

So the Ducks couldn’t come into tOSU and beat them?  What short memories!

On 12/14/2023 at 11:29 AM, Just Ducky said:

Conclusive Evidence that they are scared to death of the Ducks is why they can’t stop talking about us. Soon they will be loosing sleep.

Soon OBD will living rent free in tOSU's brainpan, just like they do now in U$C's.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Let’s not forget Oregon with D Dixon went into the big house in 2007 and put up 624 total yards against Mich. And licked their butts 39/7. They ran it for 331 yards against the dreaded Mich defense. OSU only beat them by 11. 

Mich won 9 games that year and the Oregon beat down was the worst defeat Mich had that season. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The only difference between the B1G and P12 is that they've had some Ohio St. teams that were really really good, you look at the Michigan St. teams, Michigan, Penn St., not many of those teams were better than the top P12 teams in those seasons in my view.  

It's simply that B1G schools are huge, with huge alumni bases, bigger states, and also multiple states where they are the only team that matters in those locales.  This means a great network that actually got the coverage it deserves.  Meanwhile we were stuck with Larry Scott who was 1. an idiot, 2.  dishonest, and 3. borderline corrupt.  

We are moving to a better conference, but it's not necessarily a better conference when it comes to actual sports performance, it's simply better run, with more eyes on it.

You look at all the sports where the Pac-12 has been better over the years, (women's basketball, softball, soccer (both men's and women's), baseball, track & field, golf, tennis, gymnastics, water polo, swimming, diving, cross country, etc.) 

The only sports where I think you wouldn't have any argument from me where they are better are basically sports that aren't played here, (lacrosse, hockey, field hockey, wrestling).

Men's Basketball is probably better, but they haven't even had the success in terms of national titles to show for it.  Volleyball is probably a sport where there is clear advantage for the B1G, and then you have football which is of course the only sport that matters unfortunately, where because of things like kickoff times and broadcast rights, one conference has a huge advantage on the national perception.  I would probably edge it slightly due to the national titles for tOSU, but it's a lot closer than national perception would have you think.

Edit:  Sorry I might have gone off on a tangent there, I started thinking about how the conferences are closer in football than some (B1G fans) would have you think, then began to extend it to all sports.

Edited by spartan2785
  • Great post! 1

On 12/13/2023 at 11:33 PM, jrw said:

The BIG consists of Ohio State, Michigan and I can't even keep track of how many Mountain West teams. I mean, Purdue? Really?

Far better defenses? That's because the offenses stink. The 3rd best B1G team, Penn State, had no aerial attack when it played Ohio State and Michigan.

2022 SEC West champ Purdue lost its bowl game to LSU 63-14. That's some great D from a Division champ. 

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Spartan, Oregon is moving to a conference with better finances but a conference that is behind the SEC in Football and baseball, golf, tennis, and perhaps, basketball. Lots of B1G teams make the tourney and then flame out.

Volleyball. Spot On. 2 B1G teams in the Final 4 along with Pitt and SEC engaged Texas. 

On 12/13/2023 at 9:44 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Still feel Coach Lanning needs to build his in game coaching chops and be seasoned with experience.

Coaching matters.....

Harbaugh and his staff do not out recruit the buckeyes, they out coach them....

Again, I'm going to post an unpopular opinion here.  In the first Fuskie game, the only decision I criticize is the first FG.  The Fuskies we're prepared for that play.  They weren't the other two.  That was our execution- namely Nix rushing his throws and deciding too quickly where he wanted to throw the ball ( I love Nix, but that was the case those two  plays...better execution, game over).

I took a video of one of the third quarter drives in Allegiant during the second game.  We scored on that drive, but inside the ten, a player missed a key block that might have , and only might have, sprung a TD.

That was typical of the night.  The secondary jumped on the short passes that required blocking, which did not happen. Again, execution issues.  

Now granted, I didn't like the game plan on defense, as I thought the Fuskies we're going to run it to control the ball.  And I certainly would have dropped press coverage on the WRs as it wasn't working.  I would've copied Arizona and OSU and forced the Huskies to drive the field. 

Thus, my concern is Lupoi seemed too bent on forcing his defense on any given offense ( this year). I'm more of a " draw me a philosophy for the game, script ten plays for it, them use your head and adjust to what is going on during THIS game.  Keep in mind what they usually do, but shut down what the ARE doing first.

Stein also tends to stay on the short passing game too long.  Overall, I like how much he adapts, because OBD were never out of it despite it looking pretty grim in both games.

My concept of a HC is to monitor the flow of the game , especially what my opponent is trying to do.  I believe Lanning is getting better at that, however, there are times I believe  he needs to change what is going on by directing Lupoi to deal with the weaknesses DeBoer was exploiting ( particularly this year, and hopefully next year).  

Lanning is the right guy for OBD.  He is learning the difference between taking over, and allowing his coordinators autonomy.  He still needs more elite players, but he has a good enough group of players to do damage to all but the very elite.  He's building depth which is critical.  

OBD can't win without a dominant defense.  Good enough to slow down dominant offenses.  Lanning is building that.  Awesome QB play- particularly CLUTCH play- is also necessary.  Cannot win without a QB that can erase double digit deficits, AND take over a game when the chips are down.  

We had the QB, but not quite the defense.  Lanning will need better talent , as in top seven classes for at least three more years, and depth from the portal ala the NFL style of talent acquisition.  Lanning clearly knows how to do to that.

We might go 9-3 next year, but 10-2 is the goal.  We may get there, depending on talent acquisition and EXECUTION.  The defense wasn't clutch enough this year.  And we had too many hiccups on offense at the wrong time.  

It was both coaching and execution in summary. I believe Lanning will learn how to eliminate those issues.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/14/2023 at 4:39 PM, Mike West said:

Again, I'm going to post an unpopular opinion here. 

I like your unpopular opinions here. Don't stop. You know football a whole lot better than me.

• Applause 1

It was both coaching and execution in summary

I agree with all your points.

I would add that when a team fails to execute, that’s on the coaches.

OBD have a superior roster to almost every other FBS team and def UW.

If OBD players don’t “execute,” it’s not bc they didn’t try hard enough or were too weak or didn’t do enough film study.

It’s bc the coaches didn’t prepare them. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike, a great and detailed post. Thanks.

Oregon plays 13 regular season games in 2024. With the OOC slate in 2024, 4 games, none against P4 opponents (OSU, and WSU, are not P5 schools and the Pac-2 is not a power conference) the Ducks should come out of the OOC games at 4-0. 

9/28 - at UCLA - W

10/5 - Michigan State - W

10/12 - Ohio State - Toss Up

10/19 - At Purdue - W

10/26 - Illinois - W

10/2 - at Michigan - Toss Up

11/9 - Maryland -W

11/16 - at Wisconsin - W

11/30 - UW -Toss Up

I see 10-3 or better If the young DL plays well. 11-2 may provide a shot at a 14th game in the B1G champ game. I do think that 1 or more Power 2 teams will get in the 12-team field in 2024 with 2 and possibly 3 losses. 

Ohio State plays no P4 team OOC in 2024. OH St. plays at Oregon, Penn St, and plays Michigan in Columbus. Ohio State has an easier '24 schedule than any other top team competing for a spot in the B1G champ game.

Schedules elsewhere will also impact the PO Ct. 1st rankings release in 2024 and thereafter. Week 1 Notre Dame visits A+M and new coach Elko behind the QB who started for Elko last season at Duke. LSU plays USC in Las Vegas. Georgia opens with Clemson in Atlanta and plays at Alabama on 9/28 and at Texas on 10/19. Michigan plays Texas in Ann Arbor in Week 2 and at UW, Ohio State, and home vs. Oregon and USC. Alabama shares an opponent with Oregon. Bama trips to Wisconsin in Week 3 and plays UGA, and MO. in Tuscaloosa and TN., LSU and OK on the road.

It's a new Playoff world in 2023. And realignment will make Power 2 schedules more difficult as will getting rid of divisions in the B1G and the SEC.

An 11-2 Oregon is likely in the B1G champ game with a chance of finishing the regular season as conference champ at 12-2. And the B1G runner-up at 11-3 will still have a shot at the 2024 Playoff. 

Again, I'm going to post an unpopular opinion here.

Posting any opinion is fine, as what can start as a minority opinion can later become the obvious, known consensus.  (Me and Mario's offense)  But it has to start somewhere...

I want all opinions, as we learn from each other and generate great discussion, and as long as we state our opinion and that is it...and nothing about another OBD member or their opinion--then it is all cool here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

An anecdote that I shared with Charles earlier today.

I was shopping at Krogers in Aiken, SC, wearing UO gear. (I shop, and cook, spouse cleans up which is nice because I am a kitchen slob.) I was tapped on the shoulder and turned around to see a guy wearing Buckeyes gear, 

"Man," he said, with a grin on his face, "we are excited about playing in Eugene next season and paying you back for the last visit to Columbus. Pumped up to have you coming into the Big 10."

"Looking at the two 2024 schedules, both teams should be undefeated when we tee it up in Autzen. I'm a mega Buckeyes fan and will be there. My buddies and I are already set up to play the Eugene CC course on Friday before the game."

I thanked him. Walking away, I thought about how great it will be when Puddles flies into B1G territory in 2024.

• Great post! 1
  • Like 2

On 12/15/2023 at 2:59 PM, Jon Joseph said:

An anecdote that I shared with Charles earlier today.

I was shopping at Krogers in Aiken, SC, wearing UO gear. (I shop, and cook, spouse cleans up which is nice because I am a kitchen slob.) I was tapped on the shoulder and turned around to see a guy wearing Buckeyes gear, 

"Man," he said, with a grin on his face, "we are excited about playing in Eugene next season and paying you back for the last visit to Columbus. Pumped up to have you coming into the Big 10."

"Looking at the two 2024 schedules, both teams should be undefeated when we tee it up in Autzen. I'm a mega Buckeyes fan and will be there. My buddies and I are already set up to play the Eugene CC course on Friday before the game."

I thanked him. Walking away, I thought about how great it will be when Puddles flies into B1G territory in 2024.

I have to say it's wild still to think that we're going to playing Ohio St. next year at Autzen in a league game, then going to Michigan and Wisconsin, and finally ending the season at home against Washington.  

Funny thing is that other than Illinois and Maryland we've played all these teams in the last 20 or so years. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 4:56 PM, spartan2785 said:

I have to say it's wild still to think that we're going to playing Ohio St. next year at Autzen in a league game, then going to Michigan and Wisconsin, and finally ending the season at home against Washington. 

💯

I could not agree more! 

Maybe it’s just recency bias, but I am so over playing the mountain, desert, and bay area teams. They are all downside and no upside.

I am sooooo excited to play all these midwest and east coast teams. 

To me it's when the comments get a little meaner that you know your program is making waves. Mean as in healthy trash talk, like Oregon guys saying Washington has never won a single men's national title. It's truthful and fun.

I want Ohio State to view Oregon in a bad light. It means they don't like them, and you want the best programs to dislike you. They despise Michigan, mildly hate Penn State, dislike Wisconsin and Michigan State. They feel a slight tingle of disdain for Iowa. They used to have some silly turtle trophy for their game against Illinois, but never really cared.

What does that show you? Despise Michigan. Mildly hate Penn State, and have varying degrees of dislike for the only relevant members of the Big Ten. It's the same for us here, we despise USC. It's finally being reciprocated.

Look at how we view Washington in comparison to Oregon State. Washington is the same with Oregon in comparison to Washington State. Most of us don't wish ill will on the Beavs. That's because they are like your annoying little brother.

Washington and USC are the guys that you are competing with at work for that promotion. We need to beat them, they are in our way. Every time they get a leg up on us, it's a deep personal swipe to our ego.

I hope Ohio State fans begin to view Oregon in the same light as they do Penn State. Maybe hate us a little bit more. Let that begin as we get two straight this upcoming season.

Edited by Sunshine Larry
  • Applause 1